Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Dragon of Earth ❯ Arrival ( Prologue )

[ A - All Readers ]
"Thread!" The faintly heard call from one of her wingmates was all that saved Alana, weyrling Istan rider, and green Kiasyth from being badly scored by a large clump of the vicious silvery spore. The inexperienced rider ordered her beloved dragon between in a panic before she even had time to visualize a destination for them. As the frigid nothing of that place between here and there surrounded them, utter dread filled Alana's heart, What have I done? The realization that she and the green had become just another senseless casualty of weyrling stupidity made her feel colder than even between could explain. Vainly, the fifteen turn old girl tried to give the dragon a destination, hoping that something could save them from a crewel fate. Worry for the fair of five firelizards, more than any one person should have a right to, admittedly, crossed her mind, >>I hope they'll be alright. Maybe Jemina will take care of them. She was so jealous when I got little gold Mame for Turns End.<<

<<All will be well, Mine. I will take us home.>> The reassuring voice of Kiasyth filled the darkest corners of Alana's mind, sweet as a flower laden spring breeze.

The girl smiled, though her lungs were beginning to burn from lack of air, >>I know, dear-heart. Please hurry. I need to breathe soon.<< Moments later, they found themselves gliding gently above a forest larger and greener than any they had ever seen. Above them, strange stars danced with a single white moon just days from being full. Alana looked around them in wonder, breathing deeply of the strangely scented air. The usual warmth of Kiasyth's forest green hide beneath her was alarmingly chilled from the long stint between, but all she needed was a few hours sunning and she would be right as rain. Satisfied that the green would be alright, Alana turned her attention to the ground below, "Where are we? I don't recognize anything." She scanned the horizon hopefully, "And I don't see the rest of the Weyr anywhere..." A touch of fear entered her voice, "Where did you bring us, Kia?"

The dragon's simple answer was enough to silence her rider, <<Home.>> Home. As though the two and a half turn old green had ever lived anywhere but Ista Weyr on Ista Island. She was old enough to be in a fighting wing, but had been held back by the youth of her rider. They would have been added to one of the fighting wings in just a couple more months, after Alana's next nameday.

Alana tucked a stray lock of dark brown hair back up into her riding helmet, "Home." She rolled the word over in her mouth, tasting it like a fine Benden wine, "Our home is Ista, not some shell cracked forest in the middle of nowhere." Her words were harsh, but her voice gentle. The girl could never think ill of the beautiful green that had searched for so long on the black sands of Ista's Hatching Grounds. She had been one of the first hatchlings to free themselves from their shells, but hadn't Impressed until almost the very end. Only two other weyrling pairs were made after they were lead off the sands to start their new life together. Kiasyth didn't respond right away because the air seemed to be suddenly filled with the agitated chittering of distressed firelizards. Three of Alana's five had managed the long trip between to rejoin her, "Mame? Father? Zoh?" An expression of pure joy washed across Alana's face as the three took up various perches both on dragon and rider. One turn old Mame had place of honor on her friend's right shoulder so that she could scold them for thinking that the fair could be left behind so easily, "How did you find us? Where are Rocky and Ice?" Brown Zoh gave a mournful warble and Alana's face fell, "They didn't make it?"

Mame rubbed the top of her head against her person's cheek, and Alana gently scritched the gold's eyeridge as she took stock of her resources, "Let's see, I've got the three of you to scout for us, two bags of firestone in case we run across Threadfall, half a bag of water, and two meatrolls." She made a face, "That won't go very far toward feeding all of us, but I'm sure we can find something to eat somewhere around here." The weyrling smiled behind the thick scarf muffling the lower half of her face, "We can try to make it home in a few hours after we've all had a rest." She tried to ignore the flutter of fear that they somehow wouldn't make it if they tried to go between back to Ista Weyr.

Kiasyth warbled and turned her nose toward a large snow capped mountain visible in the near distance without being directed, instinctively heading looking for a sun drenched ledge to warm herself on. It would be several hours before the sun actually rose, if the position of the moon was any indication, but it would take nearly that long to make a straight flight there, and then time to find the perfect ledge. And if they happened to find some suitable looking beasts along the way, then she could drop her rider off for a moment and catch a quick meal. That would go a long way toward renewing the green's flagging strength, though what she really needed was a good long rest. They'd already been an hour into a six hour Threadfall, and, typically, greens and blues only managed three hours, though all they'd been doing is flying replacement bags of firestone out to the wings, so they were fresher than most of the other greens of the Weyr would have been. So it was that, hours later, Kiasyth finally settled to rest on a wide outcropping of stone halfway up the side of the mountain with dawn just starting to lighten the eastern horizon.