Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Eternal City:Crystal Tokyo ❯ Chapter 27

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Eternal City, Crystal Tokyo: Part Twenty-seven
 
Miki Kaoru smiled slightly, his blue hair simply styled as he studied the files on his personal computer, a wafer thin device that projected a crisp holographic screen. The group sat around a round table in the upper floors of the Palace, snacks scattered about as they discussed the business of the day. "It seems that the ambassador from Mesa wants to appeal the ban on Nergal ships in Earth space and reopen formal diplomatic channels," he noted.
 
"They don't ever give up, do they?" Minako Aino asked, the blonde looking sourly amused as she took a drink.
 
Queen Serenity looked towards Miki, "They can't be serious."
 
"Apparently they are," Miki scrolled through a document to refresh his memory, "they first state that the incident that caused the rift has been resolved, and moreover they've changed their business practices."
 
"Business practices?" Endymion echoed, his distaste evident as he continued on, "don't they mean slavery?"
 
Serenity shook her head, her almost white-gold hair glimmering. "Have they changed, Minako?" she asked her softly.
 
"No," Minako said flatly before elaborating, "Nergal's shipping line is still using the Ruri clones as part of their shipboard navigation systems out in the League of Non-aligned worlds and over in the Khanite's territory, as well as providing genetically engineered Boomeroids through their operations based on Mesa."
 
Saionji turned from where he stood by the window, his long green hair flowing down his back. "I almost wish we had pushed through with an attack on Nergal's headquarters on Mesa when we had the chance," he admitted.
 
"That's against our ethics, Saionji," Serenity was faintly scolding.
 
"So is everything on Mesa, more or less," Saionji answered wryly.
 
"What sort of official response do we want to make?" Minako asked, trying to steer them back on topic once more.
 
"Until Nergal and their business associates demonstrate a serious effort to align all of their operations with the standards of Earth and it's allies, we cannot allow them to operate in Earth space," Serenity said formally.
 
"Translated out of diplomatic speak that means, 'Not a chance in hell,' " Endymion said with a faint smile. He frowned as he remembered, "Speaking of Mesa is there any progress on illegal boomeroid smuggling?"
 
Makoto spoke up for the first time, the brown haired woman smiling grimly. "The police force can spot individual shipments but we're having problems getting back to the source," she quietly explained. "Cyber Six and the Knight Sabers have taken an interest, so I suspect things will break soon," she said.
 
"Cyber Six is a good detective," Minako agreed. She hesitated as she look over at Makoto, "Do you want me to lend anyone to the police force temporarily?"
 
"Can I take a rain check on that?" Makoto smiled, "I may call in Major Motoko Kusanagi, but only if we have no progress through more conventional routes."
 
"Fair enough," Minako nodded.
 
"That's about it for now," Miki shut down his organizer, "though I'll pass on the usual weekly briefing to all the departments."
 
"Good," Serenity smiled, "thank you for all of your assistance." Her eyes brightened as she gazed at the snacks Makoto had provided, "Not let's eat!"
 
As everyone dug in Makoto took Minako aside for a moment. "I don't have the sort of intelligence network you have but I do hear things," she said, "about a mystery Senshi."
 
Minako munched some cookies, washing them down with milk. "I heard about her, too," she admitted, "and originally thought it was just one of the space senshi. However eyewitness reports say the uniform matches ours, though the colors are wrong."
 
"How so?" Makoto asked.
 
"Black bodysuit instead of white like ours," Minako said. She frowned, "And no useable photos, of course."
 
Makoto grunted her agreement. One of the odd tendencies of the Senshi was a inability to be photographed in their transformed state, probably an aspect of the enchantment that protected their identities. "Could it be one of the Asteroid Senshi?" Makoto asked, referring to the four girls who were once known as the Amazoness Quartet.
 
"They left Earth System looking for their purpose," Minako agreed, "but they always work as a group while this Senshi fights alone."
 
"Could you ask your people to keep an eye on this?" Makoto asked. She flashed a smile, "I'm not quite as worried about this as an Outer Senshi might be, but I don't like not knowing who this Senshi might be."
 
"Will do," Minako saluted impishly.
 
Makoto rolled her eyes. "Now if you'll all excuse me," she addressed the whole table, "I have to be going."
 
"Where are you headed, Mako-chan?" Serenity asked curiously.
 
Surprisingly a faint blush colored Makoto's cheeks as she replied, "Actually, Taiki Kou asked if I could show him around Crystal Tokyo...."
 
"What!?" The entire table focused on Makoto, everyone looking at her intently.
 
Makoto went red. "I'm teaching her how to cook," she said with whatever dignity she could muster, "that's all."
 
Endymion smiled, privately relieved that the normally private Makoto was reaching out to someone who wasn't one of her old friends. "Sorry," he said gently, "we were just a bit surprised."
 
"So what do you have planned?" Minako asked eagerly.
 
"Take her to some of the nicer restaurants," Serenity offered cheerfully.
 
Miki chuckled, "Or maybe some of the museums."
 
"This is not a date," Makoto reminded them all firmly, "so don't go spreading around any rumors like that!"
 
"Yes ma'am," Endymion saluted, imitating Minako.
 
Makoto shook her head but she was smiling as she left the council chamber. "Well what do you all think?" Serenity asked thoughtfully a few moments later.
 
"They certainly talked a while at the Christmas party," Minako remembered.
 
"Which doesn't necessarily mean anything," Miki admitted, "but she certainly jumped on us fast about it not being a date."
 
"Methinks she doth protest too much," Minako misquoted intentionally.
 
"We might want to talk to Ami about it," Serenity suggested mildly, "she's always been a bit closer to Makoto than most of us."
 
"I will," Minako waved her arm enthusiastically, "me, me!"
 
"All right," Endymion looked at her gravely, "but don't try any matchmaking, all right? I know how much you like to help couples along...."
 
"Would I do that?" Minako batted her eyes innocently.
 
"We're doomed," Miki sighed.
 
Serenity chuckled softly, "I noticed you've been quiet, Saionji."
 
Saionji smiled back, munching happily on his food. "I wish her the best of luck," he said honestly, "she deserves it, I think."
 
"True enough," Minako acknowledged fondly.
 
To be continued....
 
Notes: Another Honor Harrington reference! Mesa is a semi-criminal planet in David Weber's series, home to mercenaries, contract killers and the genetic slave trade. Nergal is from Martian Successor Nadesico, a company who's ethics I've always had mixed feelings about.