Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Eternal City:Crystal Tokyo ❯ Chapter 26

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Eternal City, Crystal Tokyo: Part Twenty-six
 
The great Crystal Tokyo Public Library was one of the largest in the world, as well as one of the best sources for information in all of Earth space. Founded back in the twentieth century as part of the Great British Library it had grown and changed over time, eventually dedicating itself to the preservation of rare books and information for future generations.
 
Taking up all of what was once a massive underground subway station and the tower that was directly above it, the Library was over twenty stories tall. Each level was focused on sub-disciplines and specialties, from various areas of science and research to the historic preservation of original books and rare documents. Teeming with people it was one of the most popular places in Crystal Tokyo both for serious business or pleasure reading.
 
"Ran!" a voice called out and the young woman turned, eyes sweeping the room cautiously until she saw who it was. The tall redheaded man reached her side in only a moment, his crisp military-style uniform fitting him like a glove. Touga Kiryuu nodded to her with a slightly chiding tone, "It's been a long time."
 
"Touga," Ran Mizuno nodded back, her own dark eyes lighting up with gentle amusement. Her short blue hair a bit ruffled by the day's pleasant breeze, the clothes she had chosen a bit on the conservative side. She kept her cane handy, her wounds aching more this morning after yesterday's exertions in the borrowed hardsuit. "It's good to see you, sir."
 
"So formal sounding," Touga smiled down at her impishly. He fell into step beside her, carefully matching the young woman's pace as they moved through the level dedicated to Crystal Tokyo archives. "Having changed your diapers occasionally," he continued, "I'd think I'd rate a Uncle Touga or something."
 
Ran couldn't help her laugh as she stopped by a bookcase. "Somehow I can't quite see you as a uncle," she admitted, "you don't seem to be the type."
 
"Maybe," he conceded, "though I understand my sister Nanami and Miki are expecting." Touga looked amused, "We were wondering what was taking so long."
 
"And are you seeing anyone?" Ran asked him curiously. Touga Kiryuu was one of Crystal Tokyo's most notorious bachelors, sometimes dating more than one lady at a time.
 
"No," Touga shook his head then smirked, "at least not seriously."
 
"Why am I not surprised?"
 
"Saionji-sensei," Ran felt herself smiling as she took in the green haired kendoist, his traditional katana carried over his shoulder.
 
"You're not my sword student anymore," Saionji reminded her, the older man's eyes twinkling with amusement, "you don't need to call me that."
 
"It's a gesture of respect," Ran nodded to him.
 
"So he gets respect and I don't?" Touga looked mock-outraged.
 
"Pretty much, yes," Ran said cheerfully.
 
"You walked right into that one," Saionji commented.
 
Touga chuckled, running a hand through his long red hair as he admitted, "Looks like it, yes." He hesitated a moment, "So how are your legendary recuperative powers working?"
 
"Legendary?" Ran quirked an eyebrow. "Mother confirms I won't need the cane soon," she admitted, "though she still wants me in the clinic to be examined."
 
"And you're avoiding that like the plague," Saionji predicted.
 
"True," Ran agreed.
 
Saionji and Touga each exchanged a glance, unsure of what exactly to say. They were well aware of the long-standing troubles between Ran and her mothers Lady Mercury and Mars, but what to do about it was questionable. Not to mention Ran's quite natural resistance to having people meddle in her affairs....
 
"Part of why I sought you out," Touga commented after they settled down into one of the library's many tables, "was to let you know that the investments I'm handling for you are doing remarkably well." He smiled wryly as he just had to ask, "How did you know Technodyne was going to do so well?"
 
Ran smiled as she relaxed a bit, the sun shining in through one of the tower's old fashioned windows. "I didn't, I just bet on the tide of history," she explained, "Technodyne is one of the best developers for military technology."
 
Touga looked pained, "That's a very cynical view."
 
Ran looked over at her former teacher, "Saionji-sensei, would you care to explain?"
 
Saionji sighed softly. Along with his maintaining of the Gods Cry school of swordsmanship he served in the government, specifically in the Self-defense Forces for Earth. As a side effect he was better informed than most on military matters both in Earth-space and in neighboring regions.
 
"Earth, Jurai and the Khanite have all been fairly stable for the past few years," Saionji mused thoughtfully, "but other than that there's been a steady growth of conflict in the other major galactic powers." He made a face, "Not to mention the war movement in Jurai and the Khanite's recent expeditionary adventures."
 
"That's part of how I got myself injured," Ran admitted, "we were patrolling out near the Erehwon border and got ambushed."
 
"Erehwon, they're part of the League I believe?" Touga asked.
 
"The League of Non-aligned worlds, yes," Saionji confirmed.
 
"Though how anyone can actually regard them as a political entity I don't know," Ran said a bit bitterly, "they have almost no central police force and their foreign policies are such a mess that they barely exist."
 
"True enough," Touga acknowledged. He looked thoughtful, "The only way that we send trading ships through there now is in convoys with an armed escort."
 
"I almost wish Crystal Tokyo would take action," Ran noted.
 
Saionji smiled wryly, "Wars of conquest have never been Queen Serenity's style."
 
"Not even if the people would probably be happier under her rule?" Ran challenged.
 
"Not even then," Saionji answered.
 
Touga looked over at Ran thoughtfully, "And what are the Khanite's intentions?"
 
"I wouldn't be leaking secrets if I said the Khan and his advisors have considered it," Ran answered promptly, "but that place is such a mess it would take years to fully deal with."
 
"True enough," Saionji admitted. He decided to change the subject, "I don't suppose you could come to one of my classes?"
 
"Why?" Ran blinked.
 
Saionji smiled at her impishly, "It's had to demonstrate the advanced sword techniques without a worthy opponent."
 
"Oh no," Ran spoke up quickly, "I've seen what you can do, sensei. I have no wish to be on the receiving end of some of the God's Cry techniques."
 
"Oh come on," Touga grinned, "I'd pay good money to see that!"
 
"Touga," a scolding voice came from nearby, "don't tease the poor girl!"
 
Touga's face seemed to light up as the tall blonde walked over to looked down at him fondly. "Sorry, Jillian," he said, "I got carried away."
 
Ran blinked, recognizing the lovely blonde woman after a few moments, "Honey-chan? As in, Cutey Honey?"
 
Jillian smiled warmly at Ran, "Not exactly, though I am a Honey-class android."
 
"Honey-class?" Ran blinked.
 
"Sometime after the 'Sister Jill' incident the Japanese government tried to replicate Cutey Honey," Saionji explained, "I understand she and the Senshi got involved when the androids appealed for help."
 
"My sisters and I owe the Senshi a great debt," Jillian agreed. A bit more hesitantly she added to Ran, "It's been a long time."
 
"We've met?" Ran looked at her curiously.
 
Jillian looked a bit sheepish as she bowed slightly, "I was one of the officers Lady Mars assigned to keep an eye on you, ma'am."
 
Ran nodded thoughtfully, "You used your disguise powers."
 
"Exactly," Jillian agreed. She took a breath, "I hope that you'll excuse my actions."
 
There was a frown on Ran's face but she nodded slightly, "I guess I can understand."
 
Saionji smiled wryly, "Considering how inseparable Touga and Jillian can be, I'm glad that she retired from the service after that little escapade."
 
"I thought I was a bodyguard," Jillian explained a little awkwardly, "I didn't know I was spying on you without your permission." The lovely blonde frowned, "I was quite annoyed at Mars for that."
 
"Join the club," Ran said much more gently.
 
To be continued....
 
Note: I've edited this chapter a bit after seeing the Re:Cutey Honey series recently. If you haven't seen it this series strongly opens up the possibility of Honey-chan being bi, if not a lesbian.