Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Eternal City:Crystal Tokyo ❯ Chapter 25

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Eternal City, Crystal Tokyo: Part Twenty-five
 
The yellow hardsuit threw itself into the air above the field behind the crystal tower, the boot thrusters combining with electromagneticly generated lift to nearly make the suit fly. It echoed a human's form, with a thin shield of technological augmentation over the body beneath, segmented sections of armor making up the exteriors. The helmets were rounded, a curve covering and protecting the face while also providing a full tactical display.
 
"As you can see," Priss Asagiri said to them dressed in her own blue hardsuit, the helm tucked under her arm, "the appearance of the suits haven't changed very much since the twenty-first century." The brown haired woman flashed a grin as she continued, "The capabilities, on the other had, have changed a lot."
 
Right on cue the hardsuit raced towards the waiting targets set up safely away from the guests, redish energy flaring all around it's gauntlets as it threw one after another energy bolts towards the objects. Each one was consumed in a blast of fire, leaving craters where they had stood. Energy bolts lanced towards the suit only to be stopped nearly a foot from the suit, dissipating against it's protective shields.
 
"This is the kind of power that we'll be expecting you to use wisely," Priss turned back to look at the young men and women who were visiting there on a student tour of the facility, "if you're admitted to the hardsuit corps."
 
"Incredible," Catrine murmured, the blue haired young woman looking on in awe.
 
Erica Tenoh smiled, standing beside her in the middle of the ten students. She knew that Priss recognized her but was glad that she wasn't letting on. "I wonder who's in the yellow hardsuit?" the black haired young woman murmured to Catrine softly.
 
"I wouldn't mind knowing that, too," Hiro said, the black haired young man standing nearby, his uniform matching his hair..
 
"Actually it's an old friend of mine," Priss smiled as the yellow hardsuit smoothly settled down in a landing beside her, "whom I sort of collared into doing this."
 
The woman reached up to remove her helm, revealing dark blue hair in a short style, along with eyes that were strikingly intense. Ran Mizuno looked casually capable dressed in the suit of armor, her smile clearly amused as she remarked, "And here I was just trying to catch up with some of my old buddies."
 
"Oh my goddess," Catrine breathed out, the fan of the Senshi instantly recognizing the young woman who was standing before them.
 
'I'll be damned,' Erica fought back a grin.
 
As the class began to move on Priss called to them, "Erica, Catrine, could you hand back for a few moments?"
 
Erica could feel Catrine's nervousness as they walked over to the two hardsuit pilots and murmured to her, "Relax."
 
"Easy for you to say," Catrine answered weakly.
 
Priss looked at Erica thoughtfully a moment, "I was a liittle surprised to see you on this tour. Have you reconsidered my offer?"
 
"Sorry," Erica shook her head, the boy's school uniform she wore hugging her slim frame, "I'm just here along with a friend for moral support."
 
"Offer?" Ran looked between Priss and Erica curiously.
 
"I tried out Erica in a hardsuit simulator as a joke a while back," Priss said casually, "she beat the introductory and intermediate programs on her first try." She shrugged, "So I asked if she'd be interested in entering the Hardsuit training program."
 
"Anyway," Erica said to Priss with a smile, "this is Catrine, she's the one who's interested in joining the Hardsuit Corps."
 
"Ma'am," Catrine squeaked.
 
With a smile and a smooth manner Priss took Catrine aside, talking to the young woman and calming her nerves with practiced ease. Ran smiled as they watched then softly asked Erica, "Is that the new girlfriend?"
 
"Yeah," Erica admitted, feeling the beginings of a blush color her cheeks.
 
Ran chuckled, watching the girl in the skirt who was listening so eagerly to Priss. "She looks nice," she quietly commented, "though I don't know if I would have expected her to be interested in Hardsuit piloting."
 
"She's full of surprises," Erica said with a grin. Catrine rejoined them and Erica made the rather unnecessary introductions.
 
"It's nice to meet you," Catrine bowed formally.
 
Ran had to fight back a smile. "You don't need to do that," she said wryly, "I don't go for that kind of formality, thanks."
 
Erica noted one of the teachers looking back and smiled wryly, "Looks like we need to catch up with our class, can we talk later?"
 
"I'll look forward to it," Ran said as she watched them go.
 
Priss and Ran walked away together, heading towards the Armory rooms. "If I didn't say it before, thanks for helping out," Priss said.
 
"No problem," Ran said as they walked into the facility, light from the crystal matrix walls glinting off their armor. "I think I missed this, honestly," she admitted as they keyed open a steel alloy door, entering a chamber with several of the armored suits hanging off wall racks.
 
"Well, you certainly haven't lost any of your edge," Priss commented as she hung her helm up on the rack. Smoothly she popped the seals of the suit and climbed out, easily lifting the light weight armor into it's niche.
 
Ran paused a moment to admire the woman in the skin tight body suit then firmly reminded herself that she was taken. "Try being a pilot for the Khanite," Ran offered with a smile as she pulled her own armor off, "you don't have time to loose any edge."
 
"I can imagine," Priss chuckled. She looked over at Ran worriedly, "I heard you were injured, piloting the suit didn't...?"
 
"I'm healed up enought," Ran reassured her. "Keeping busy?" she asked as both women got dressed, her in casual clothing while Priss donned a simple Crystal Tokyo military uniform.
 
"The Isolationist crazies are still active," Priss made a face as they walked out into the halllway, "they've been hitting space ports and ships, thankfully unsuccessfully."
 
Ran made a face at that and growled, "I can't believe that anyone would seriously think we can pull back to just living on Earth."
 
"They've modified their stance since you left," Priss corrected, "now they want us just in our solar system, abandoning all interstellar colonies."
 
"Not much of an improvement," Ran muttered. She looked thoughtful, "The Khanite, not to mention Jurai or any of the multi-system governments, would look on that as a sign of weakness and probably attack us."
 
Priss looked surprised as they stepped into the lift, "You really think Jurai would take a shot at us, even with Lord Tenchi in charge?"
 
"I doubt Tenchi would agree," Ran commented, "but there's nothing to stop his border rulers from doing something that's officially unauthorized."
 
"I won't ask you about what the Khanite might do," Priss said diplomatically.
 
They stepped outside, the monorail station waiting to carry them to the palace. "The Khan has a treaty with Earth," she answered, "but that wouldn't stop him if he thought there was a chance to win. He respects strength, and for now Crystal Tokyo has that."
 
"I'll have to think about that," Priss nodded. She lightened suddenly and gently slapped Ran on the back of the head, "And what's with you hiding out? Urd wants you over for dinner!"
 
"Oww," Ran winced. "All right, all right," she said as Priss was readying another slap, "I'll come over. Just don't let me get into another drinking match with her or Mara."
 
Priss snickered, "I warned you at the time."
 
"I still remember the hangover I had," Ran chuckled.
 
To be continued....