Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Eternal City:Crystal Tokyo ❯ Chapter 34

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Eternal City, Crystal Tokyo: Part Thirty-four
 
Erica Tenoh looked out the window eagerly, her black hair falling into her eyes as the jet-copter soared away from the continent of Africa and out over the ocean. "I see a flash of silver," she exclaimed, "is that it?!"
 
"Yes," Ami Mizuno sounded faintly amused from the co-pilot's seat, "that's Olympus." The blue haired woman took on a lecturing tone, "It's the largest artificial island in the world, at 1425 km on it's longest edge, and contains some of the largest structures on Earth other than the palace in Crystal Tokyo."
 
Rei Hino smiled from the pilot's seat, activating the communicator ear-piece as she guided them in. "Diplomatic shuttle Five-zero, on final approach," the black haired woman informed the island, "requesting landing bay."
 
"This is Olympus control," the warm young man's voice said, "you're in bay twelve, ma'am. Welcome to Olympus."
 
"Thank you," Rei said with a smile.
 
As they swept in towards the island massive structures rose up, gleaming in silver and chrome, and they gracefully weaved through towers towards the massive archology that was the main government building and control center. They descended towards the landing bays on towers nearby, settling in lightly on one of the roofs.
 
"Security seems awfully light," Erica said softly as they disengaged safety restraints, the three of them climbing out to see several figures waiting for them.
 
"We were scanned at least three times coming in," Ami said softly, "and if we weren't authorized we'd have been blown out of the sky." A faint smile, "They take their independence very seriously, on this island."
 
"Wow," Erica gulped.
 
"Welcome to Olympus," the redheaded older woman nodded, her expression faintly remote as she said, "it's good to see you again, Ami, Rei." Addressing Erica the woman in pseudo-formal wear said, "I'm the head administrator, Athena."
 
"Erica Tenoh, ma'am," Erica nodded as they followed Athena to a lift, swiftly dropping to street level then heading out into the sun.
 
Walking towards the massive main building they saw a massive hologram outside, a very familiar figure standing there. Sylia Stingray stood in the front, the silver haired leader of the Knight Sabers in her gleaming armor. Beside her was her father, Dr. Stingray, to one side Professor Kisaragi and all around them other innovators in cybernetic or robotic designs.
 
"I see Sylia wasn't able to talk you out of including her in the tribute?" Rei asked, looking faintly amused.
 
"She tried," Athena softened enough to chuckle softly as they walked by, "but we tend to be stubborn about certain things."
 
A bit hesitantly Erica asked, "I can understand why most of them are there, considering this is an island devoted to artificial life, but why Ms. Stingray?"
 
"You don't know?" Athena gave Erica a surprised look, then frowned at the two older woman as they entered the main floor of the immense arch.
 
"Her modern history course includes the foundation of Olympus," Ami explained mildly, "but it's later in the term, due to the complex political aspects."
 
"Ah," Athena nodded slightly in understanding. "Would you like me to explain?" she offered to Erica.
 
"Please," Erica nodded eagerly as they entered another lift, a touch of Athena's hand setting it to a slower speed.
 
Athena's tone was faintly lecturing as she began, "The seeds of Olympus were planted in the late twenty-first century as more and more advanced androids and boomers began to show free will, breaking away from their owners and fleeing. Sylia Stingray founded a android rights movement in that era, despite her bad experiences with Galatea, and even helped run a underground railway to save androids in danger of destruction."
 
"The Senshi couldn't intervene at that time," Rei explained quietly, "because of an agreement we made with the global powers after the Megatokyo conflict."
 
"As things continued to deteriorate globally Sylia helped our ancestors found a settlement in a irradiated area here in Africa," Athena continued, "and self-aware machines migrated there from around the world."
 
"But how did you go from a base in Africa to this?" Erica asked, looking out the clear glass elevator to the artificial island around them.
 
"As our population grew we began to design our perfect city, a community for our kind," Athena explained, "and eventually as global chaos receded under the influence of Neo-Queen Serenity we made a agreement to help restore Africa to health in exchange for the resources we needed. It took decades, but nearly fifty years ago we completed Olympus."
 
"And declared independence from Earth's government right after," Ami said wryly.
 
"We never promised our loyalty to Serenity," Athena said mildly, "and we've committed to being a pacifist, neutral nation." A pause, "With teeth, admittedly."
 
"The Landmates," Erica knew that fact at least, "the heavy armor variation of Hardsuits that you're government created."
 
"So, who was elected president recently?" Rei changed the subject politely, knowing Athena couldn't discuss that in detail.
 
"It was a bit of a surprise," Athena admitted, "a write in vote put Hitomi in the hot seat this year. She was shocked, especially since she thought that having a human lover would automatically convince most voters to object to her."
"There's a small but stable population of humans on Olympus, too," Ami quietly explained to Erica as they came to a stop, "long time supporters of Android rights and others who came for personal reasons."
 
The doors to the lift hissed open and Athena gestured them forward, "I believe the president is expecting us."
 
The hallway was lined with carpet, a self cleaning techno-weave like much of the city. Erica noted several types of self-regenerating plastics, neural network replicating circuitry and other products. The city itself was almost an android, a semi-living being that maintained and cared for itself. It was a incredible achievement, if a bit scary.
 
"Many of the androids and artificial life forms in Crystal Tokyo have dual citizenship in Olympus," Athena added, "and maintain residences here."
 
"That's how I first heard about Olympus," Erica quietly admitted, "talking about it with the Puma sisters."
 
The door opened soundlessly.. probably too soundlessly for the two women who were necking inside. The black haired woman was sitting in a plush chair, leaning back, while the blonde perched in her lap was kissing her with a passionate intensity.
 
"Ma'am!" Athena blurted in surprise.
 
"Eep!" both women jerked apart, then the blonde nearly fell to the floor before catching herself with a hand on the side of the desk.
 
"Sorry about that," Hitomi said a bit sheepishly as she quickly buttoned up her snug bodysuit, "we got a bit distracted."
 
Rei fought back a smile, nodding to them both respectfully. "It's been awhile President Hitomi," she said mildly, "and Officer Knute."
 
"It's Deunan, remember?" she corrected with a little grin, adjusting her own skin tight bodysuit unselfconsciously.
 
"Friend of yours?" Erica raised a impish eyebrow.
 
"I worked along side Crystal Tokyo Police forces when I was in ESWAT," Deunan explained cheerfully, "which is when I ran into these two. And you are?"
 
"Erica Tenoh, ma'am," Erica bowed respectfully.
 
"I'll leave you all to your reunion," Athena said respectfully, "I need to meet with Nike for our estimates on next month's productivity."
 
"Thank you very much for your efforts," Hitomi nodded. Once Athena left she sighed tiredly, "I've annoyed her again, it seems."
 
"I think she likes that," Deunan said wryly.
 
"I heard about Briareos," Ami said quietly, "I'm so sorry."
 
Deunan waved off the sympathy. "I think he knew he was dying at that point, there's no way he'd take on a dangerous job like that solo..." she sighed softly, "we'd broken up a few years before that, anyway."
 
To be continued....
 
Notes: This version of Olympus is not the original one from Appleseed but is inspired by it and bounced forward in time. The origin story is mine but much of the data was derived from the Appleseed databooks, released back in 1995 by Dark Horse Comics. The idea of Deunan and Hitomi is inspired by their interactions in the manga, the new Appleseed movie and a nifty AMV called Yuriseed by bakablonde.