Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Eternal City:Crystal Tokyo ❯ Chapter 35

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Eternal City, Crystal Tokyo: Part Thirty-five
 
First Fang Zaran looked at Ran with a bit of regret as the felenoid said, "So, you are leaving us so soon?"
 
"I'm sorry," Ran Mizuno gave the Knanite version of a salute, "but I think it's time I returned to my birth home."
 
"It's not unexpected," Zaran conceded.
 
"Oh?" Ran asked as the blue haired woman younger raised an eyebrow.
 
Zaran gave one of his people's smiles, careful not to show his sharp fangs. "You were always careful not to speak of your parents, almost as if you were concerned what emotion might show," he pointed out.
 
"Maybe," Ran said with some embarrassment.
 
"You have fought well," Zaran said, "and it will not be forgotten, Fang Mizuno. I am sorry you are leaving the Knanite now that your term of service is over, but I hope that you will return to visit your comrades once again."
 
"I plan to," Ran smiled.
 
Zaran chuckled softly, "And my pilots will likely have plenty of that sake you've corrupted them into liking."
 
"They liked drinking before I came along," Ran said in her defense.
 
"But not that liquid fire you like," Zaran countered. He laughed again, "I'm just glad you never introduced them to that whiskey you shared with me."
 
"I'm saving that for the farewell party," Ran smirked.
 
Zaran looked at her worriedly a moment then realized she was joking. He rose and offered his hands in a human gesture, drawing his claws back. "Good-bye, Ran," he said quietly.
 
Ran took Zaran's hand and shook it, touched that he learned the gesture. "Farewell Zaran," she answered, "it's been an honor to know you."
 
Outside the office Ran reached up to wipe at the corner of her eye, sniffling slightly. It was hard leaving here, she had made a lot of friends, but she also felt certain that it was time to go home. Walking through the orbital battlestation she returned to her quarters to pick up her duffel bag, looking around the now empty room fondly. The rest of her stuff had been shipped ahead days ago, now all that was left was her essentials and a few items she considered precious to her.
 
Glad that her fellow pilots were on sweep patrol Ran headed for the docks, striding along easily even with the heavier gravity. A attendant looked up, her sable fur gleaming as she purred, "Hello, Ran."
 
"Za'tair," Ran nodded, a faint blush coloring her cheeks as she felt the woman's eyes roam over her. She had made her interest in Ran known from the start, despite the differences between their species and seemed unbothered by Ran's refusals.
 
"I regret that you are leaving us, beautiful one," Za'tair said with a surprisingly cute pout, reaching out to caress her cheek.
 
"You know I don't go that way," Ran caught her hand gently.
 
"A loss to us both, I'm sure," Za'tair sighed, drawing her hand back. She looked at Ran curiously, "Did you pass word to your home you are returning?"
 
"Well yes," Ran blinked, wondering about the sudden question.
 
"It seems that you won't be taking a commercial craft home," Za'tair looked amused, "they sent you a ride, it seems."
 
Ran narrowed her eyes and said flatly, "Really."
 
"Yes," Za'tair activated a monitor mounted on the wall, showing a image of space outside the station. The ship floated in space, a half circle observation dome in the middle of angular crystal formations, looking almost like some deadly sculpture.
 
"Ryo-Ohki?" Ran blurted.
 
Almost as soon as Ran came aboard via transport sphere Princess Ayeka said, "It wasn't your parents' idea for us to pick you up."
 
"I wasn't going to ask that," Ran smiled, "at least not yet."
 
The blue and purple haired child in Ayeka's arms urped softly, then the baby snuggled close. "Sorry," Ayeka smiled as they rose through a crystal spire to the bridge, "I thought I should get asking the question out of the way, first."
 
Ran just chuckled. "Did you and Ryouko finally..." she nodded towards the child.
 
"Yes, finally," Ayeka agreed as she cuddled the boy close, "we put our foot down and Tenchi agreed to release us from diplomatic duties for a few decades." She saw Ran flinch and sighed, "I'm sorry, I forgot."
 
"It's all right," Ran waved it off as she added bitterly, "I just wish my parents had possessed that kind of good sense."
 
"The circumstances weren't the same," Ayeka noted as they reached the bridge, "your parents were working to head off a war."
 
"War?" Ran blurted in surprise, not having heard this before.
 
"Welcome aboard," Ryouko nodded from where she stood in the center of the bridge, the blue haired space pirate surrounded by the floating crystals that were Ryo-Ohki's computer system. "Has Ayeka introduced little Yosho yet?"
 
"Not be name," Ran said, mind occupied by Ayeka's earlier revelation. "What do you mean, war?" she asked the princess.
 
"The Earth colonies that were pulling out had been provided arms from both Mesa and a renegade Jurai lord looking to cause trouble he could capitalize on," Ayeka explained, "if they resolved to pull out by force things would have been very messy."
 
"And with one of our lords involved it had to be kept secret," Ryoko said, "for fear of a major diplomatic incident."
 
"My parents were probably waiting til I was older before they told me," Ran mused softly, "but I ran away before they could do so."
 
"Probably," Ayeka agreed... just as the baby woke with a lusty cry.
 
"Jeeze," Ran stepped back reflexedly.
 
Ryouko winced visibly, "The kid always wakes up hungry."
 
"Let me," Ayeka promptly pulled back her kimono to reveal a full breast and pulled the baby close. Instantly the child quited as he began sucking down milk.

Ran turned away with a blush and excused herself, walking over to Ryouko's side. "So how long till we get to Earth?" she asked, her voice only cracking a bit with nervousness.
 
Ryouko looked amused, "A few hours, tops." She dropped her voice, "Does it bother you that much?"
 
"I remember being around when Erica and Usagi were growing up," Ran said dryly, "I hated babysitting not to mention diaper changing."
 
Ryouko laughed, "We'll try not to inflict that on you, I promise." She smirked, "Besides, with Sasami and Minagi on Earth we'll have all the help we need."
 
"True enough," Ran admitted.
 
Ayeka adjusted her robes as she returned to their side, cradling the baby in the crook of her arm. "All done," she announced cheerfully.
 
Yosho looked around cheerfully, his expression oddly unfocused, then after a few moments and a loud burp he curled up in the crook of her arm. "I wonder how long he'll just eat and sleep?" Ryouko wondered, gazing at him fondly.
 
"If I remembver right, and assuming human and Jurai babies are alike," Ran offered after a moment, "it'll be a while before he can really do much."
 
"Thank you," Ayeka said warmly. Her expression looked thoughtful, "I wonder if I should call on your parents for advice once we get to Earth?"
 
Ran thought of her early days, and how much she had enjoyed that time. It had only been once she grew older that her parents had started disapointing her... "Yes, I think they'd be good at that," she agreed.
 
"Myah!" Ryo-Ohki said, one of the crystal shards that made up the ship's mind clenched in Yosho's little fist. Strangely the ship didn't seem to mind that treatment very much.
 
Ran offered her own finger and waved it in front of Yosho, delighting in the child's attempts to grab it. "Get a room at the palace," she suggested, "you'll have a army of honorary aunts and uncles willing to help."
 
"We'll probably do that," Ryouko laughed.
 
Ayeka gave Ran a searching look, "And do you plan to stay at the Palace this time, too?"
 
Ran gave them both a mildly suspicious look. "Okay," she asked, "who caught you both up on Palace gossip?"
 
"My sister Minagi," Ryouko confessed.
 
"Tenchi via Serenity," Ayeka answered promptly.
 
"It's a plot," Ran rolled her eyes with a sigh.
 
"You're surrounded by meddlers," Ryouko agreed cheerfully.
 
To be continued....
 
Notes: This continues the Ran storyline from chapter twenty-one, as well as picking up the Ryouko/Ayeka baby idea I floated in a earlier chapter. Yosho is the name of Ayeka's brother, who was also the grandfather of Tenchi.