Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Eternal City:Crystal Tokyo ❯ Chapter 37

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Eternal City, Crystal Tokyo

Ran Mizuno yawned, the blue haired woman stretching out on her bed before getting up reluctantly. Sunlight shone in through the window even though it was bitterly cold outside, the cloudy winter months having eased a moment to let glorious sunlight in. Padding across the floor in just her panties Ran headed for the dresser, the arthletic form mostly healed from her injuries. She’d still bear a few vivid scars, but she moved with ease and comfort as she pulled out pants, shirt and bra.

“Wonder what’s on the schedule for today?” Ran murmured as she dressed, a wry smile on her lovely face.

Since Ran’s permanent return to Earth she had formally re-applied for her citizenship and had been granted it by Serenity herself. Then she had contacted her old friend Priss, who had eagerly helped make the arrangements for Ran to rejoin the army of Crystal Tokyo, signing on as both a mecha and fighter pilot.

“If you sleep in much longer,” Erica Tenoh called after banging on the door, “you’re going to miss breakfast!”

“I’m coming, hold on,” Ran called back, finishing buttoning her shirt as she hurried over to the door.

Since coming back home to Earth for the second time Ran had moved back into the Crystal Palace, though pointedly not near to her parent suite. She understood, now, more about why they had been absent during much of her childhood, but Ran still found it hard to let go of the resentment that she had held on to for so long. Still, they were talking now and that was a major step forward.

“Looks like something happened with Makoto and Taiki,” Erica revealed as the black haired girl lead her down the hall, “seems Taiki stayed overnight.”

“Well,” Ran smiled in delighted surprise, “it’s about time.”

“I thought so too,” Erica laughed as the entered the elevator, the light surrounding them as they were whisked downstairs.

“So did Taiki actually decide to stay for breakfast?” Ran asked her as they got off a few moments later.

“No,” Erica shook her head, “I think neither one of them wanted to deal with all the teasing they’d get.”

“Can’t blame them for that,” Ran chuckled.

Up the hall they could hear a slightly off-key Minako singing teasingly, “Makoto’s got a girlfriend, a girlfriend....”

“See what I mean?” Erica laughed.

“Good morning,” Queen Serenity called from around a mouth full of food, the white-blonde monarch in a dressing gown and eating eagerly.

“Morning,” Ran nodded respectfully to her queen as her eyes swept the large, informal dining hall where they usually ate.

A blushing Makoto Kino was carrying in plates from the kitchen, the brown haired amazon smiling faintly. Minako Aino smirked, the lovely blonde dressed in a bodysuit of some exotic design. Kind Endymion was munching toast beside his wife, the purple-black haired man’s eyes amused as he watched his friends.

“Ran, slept in again?” her mother Ami Mizuno asked, her blue hair falling forward in front of her old fashioned glasses. Beside her Rei Hino sat, Ran’s other mother with the raven black hair and a temper Ran inherited, too.

“I don’t have to be up,” Ran smiled as she reached the table and after a moment’s hesitation sat down across from them, “unlike some people.”

“Thank god for winter break,” Erica sighed, “no school.” She bent down to kiss her mothers’ cheeks, “Morning.”

“Hello, sleepy head,” Michiru smiled, the green haired woman’s eyes twinkling.

“Yo,” Haruka nodded, her sandy blonde hair falling into her eyes. Of the two women it was Haruka whom Erica most physically resembled, but her calm manner owed much to her mother Michiru.

“Is Setsuna around?” Erica asked curiously.

“Sleeping in,” Michiru said, “Juri and her were up late at the Locket, apparently.”

“Trouble?” Ran asked, frowning slightly.

“I don’t think so,” Haruka said, “just the usual.”

Serenity snickered softly, “I know what that’s like.”

Endymion fought back a smile. “Thank you,” he said as Rei passed a muffin over, “there are great, Makoto.”

“I’ll be sure to tell Taiki that,” Makoto chuckled as she sat down, “these are her latest experiment in cooking.”

“You’re making progress in teaching her?” Ami asked curiously.

“Taiki’s a scholar as well as a singer,” Makoto dug into her own food, “it doesn’t take many explainations before she gets it.”

Serenity smiled suddenly, “Remember how much of a disaster it was when we helped Taiki on that cooking show, Makoto?”

Makoto smiled, thinking of the mess they made, “That did end up being fun.”

“And mostly your fault, Meatball-head,” Rei teased.

“Rei!” Serenity pouted.

Ran fought back a grin, wondering how the people of Earth would react to this terribly domestic scene. Most people were used to seeing Serenity and the senshi as semi-immortal guardians, not human beings with flaws and human traits.

“So,” Amy scooped up some rice as she asked Ran, “what’s on the schedule today?”

“Priss and I are combat testing a group of trainees,” Ran grinned, “ten of them in hardsuits vs me and Priss in weaponless models.”

“Isn’t that a bit unfair?” Rei sounded a bit concerned.

“Yeah, but Priss won’t let me fight them without my hardsuit,” Ran flashed a cocky grin.

“That wasn’t what I meant,” Rei chuckled.

“Trust me,” Ran smiled, “they won’t lay a hand on me.”

“Is that Catrine’s class?” Erica asked with a bit of concern. Her girlfriend Catrine had signed up for the introductary course on Hardsuit piloting over winter break, persuing her interest in entering pilot’s school out of highschool.

“I don’t know,” Ran admitted, “do you want me to check and let you know?”

“As long as it doesn’t violate any rules,” Erica nodded.

“Of course,” Ran grinned back at her partner in crime.

“So, where are Hotaru and Usagi?” Erica asked curiously.

“They left early to go to the ice-festival,” Serenity smiled fondly. A soft sigh and a pout, “I wish I could go.”

“You could, but...” Endymion trailed off.

Attending such a event would be a logistical nightmare for Serenity’s security forces, having to guard her while she mingled with the crowds and played games. Just setting up the trip would be hours of work, much less alerting the military and police.

“There’s always the disguise pens,” Ran offered casually.

“Oh,” Serenity brightened.

“Ran!” Minako said scoldingly

“Actually, it’s not a bad idea,” Makoto noted.

“You too?” Minako looked surprised.

“I was thinking disguise pens for all of you,” Ran clarified, “take the trip out there together.” She met Minako’s eyes unflinchingly, “Or are you telling me that the group of you can’t protect the Queen without help?”

“Now that’s fighting dirty,” Rei met her daughter’s eyes angrily.

“Maybe,” Ami put her hand on Rei’s arm, “but she’s got a point. It would literally take an army to get through all of us.”

Rei softened a bit as she saw the silent appeal in Serenity’s eyes, “You could be right.”

Minako still looked unhappy, but she gave in to the inevitable. “Can I at least tell Major Motoko?” she asked wryly.

“Why not invite her along?” Haruka winked.

“When do you want to go?” Michiru asked Serenity with a smile.

“As soon as possible,” Serenity said, eyes nearly twinkling with excitement.

“I’ll go get the pens,” Minako got up with a laugh, “and Ran?”

“Yes?” Ran looked curious.

“No other suggestions till I get back,” Minako ordered.

“Yes ma’am,” Ran threw a mocking salute.

To be continued....