Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Eternal City:Crystal Tokyo ❯ Chapter 38

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Eternal City, Crystal Tokyo
The Agents

Minako Aino smiled at her assistant as the blonde dressed in the business suit entered the outer office of the head of Earth’s diplomatic Corps. She checked her watch as she asked her, “Have they arrived yet?”

Nuku Nuku looked up from her desk as the perky redhead said, “Yes, ma’am, they’re trickling in now. You should also know Alucard left a urgent message as well.”

“Oh?” Minako paused before entering her inner office.

“The Devillady knows,” Nuku Nuku said, looking a bit mystified but passing on the message exactly as ordered.

“Damn,” Minako blinked, frowning in thought. She ran a hand through her blonde hair and asked, “Did he mention how she took that news?”

“Not well, apparently,” Nuku Nuku said mildly.

“Great,” Minako sighed as she went inside.

The office within was simply set up, a desk, chairs and a couch along with a few decorations. Shrugging off her coat Minako hung it up the rack beside the door, then strode in her skirt and tunic over to her desk. With a sigh she sat down and looked over the paperwork stacked there by Nuku Nuku, then quickly went to work.

Minako was nearly half way through the stack when Nuku Nuku’s voice came over the speaker in her desk, “Ma’am, it’s nearly ten.”

“Right,” with some relief Minako rose, hurrying out of her office then down a side corridor. She reached a meeting room and pushed open the door, nodding to the guard who patiently waited outside.

The men and women chatting quietly looked up as Minako entered then their leader smiled at her welcomingly as Major Motoko Kusanagi saluted and reported, “Ma’am, all present and accounted for.”

Minako smiled back at her lover as she said, “At ease.”

The group of women and single man in the room relaxed a bit, but they still stood in semi formal attention. Kei and Yuri stood close together, the red and black haired women in simple bodysuits rather than their infamous battle-bikinis. Attim M-Zak, the raven haired bio-engineered warrior stood protectively close to her psionic partner Kei, the smaller blonde looking so delicate beside her. Alucard sat comfortably, the tall black haired vampire drinking something red from a wine glasws, his eyes concealed by shades. Finally, the part demon Katsumi Liqueur and her cyborg partner Kiddy Phenil talked together quietly.

Minako smiled faintly as she studied the group. People had often questioned that the majority of her field agents were women, but in her experience they had a better handle on their emotions, were better at decision making and in a pinch could use the often overlooked feminine wiles to get their way.

“Thank you all for coming,” Minako said warmly, “I know that in some cases it wasn’t easy for you to get away.”

“Tall me about it,” Attim said wryly, the black haired woman looking model gorgeous in a little red dress.

“Still persuing the counterfit Emblem Seed trade?” Yuri asked, the black haired woman looking at her curiously.

Attim nodded bleakly, “People buy the artifacts hoping for some kind of evolutionary leap, but all they get is a painful death.”

‘Unlike Kei,’ Minako noted. Exposed to a true alien Emblem Seed Kei had been transformed into a nearly immortal psionic of great power. Attim had been partnered with her early on, and eventually Kei managed to grant her partner some of her own incredible physical regeneration ability.

“Monster hunting is so much more rewarding in the short term,” Alucard smirked, his hat pulled low over his face.

“True enough,” Katsumi admitted, her blue black hair gleaming.

Kiddy gave Alucard a speculative look, “I almost wish we could get permission to go after you, Fangs.”

“I’d enjoy you trying,” Alucard smirked.

“Down, you two,” Kei chuckled, the redhead looking amused.

“So,” Motoko gave her boss a straight line, “you wanted to see us?”

“Thanks,” Minako smiled. Looking at her best agents she said, “We have several issues on our plates, so let’s get started.”

The briefing took nearly an hour, but it could be summarized in several points. Firstly, was the ongoing concern with weapon’s smuggling into the border worlds. Second was Earth’s Isolationism movement and their more radical members. Third was the covert activities of allied governments in Earth controlled territory. And last but not least, a request to keep their eyes open for information on a new mysterious Sailor Senshi.

“Artist conception?” Kei looked at the drawing of the black and red garbed woman innocently, “Why no photo?”

“Magical blocking,” Attim explained to her partner, “unless a Senshi wants to get their photo taken, it won’t work.”

“A useful gift,” Alucard admitted.

“We’ve got some contacts in the spacer guilds,” Kei looked thoughtful, “we can see if anyone’s heard anything.”

“You all have your sources,” Motoko acjnowledged, “and any information you can acquire would be appreciated.”

“Now,” Minako said briskly, “you all have the rest of the day off, so mingle, compare notes and whatever else you decide.” A pause, “Motoko, Alucard, you’re with me.”

“Let’s go,” Motoko said as she and Alucard followed their boss down the hall.

Once they entered the inner office Minako sat down with a tired sigh. “Okay,” she asked, “how did Jun find out about your connection to me?”

“I underestimated her,” Alucard conceded reluctantly. “I suspect she tailed me back to our meeting place,” he said.

Motoko looked disturbed, “She avoided your enhanced senses?”

“She stayed out of my range,” Alucard sounded disgusted, “she flew several miles above me, at least.” He actually sighed, “And I really wasn’t looking as hard as I should have.”

“I’m not happy,” Minako said after a moment, “but I don’t blame you. Jun isn’t a enemy, even though she does have a temper.”

“She may not be a enemy but she isn’t exactly a friend to us either, Mina,” Motoko reminded her. A wry smile, “She hates the Senshi’s guts.”

Minako thought about things a moment. “How angry was she?” she asked.

“A witness reports that she demolished her suite, as well as frightening off investigating staff,” Alucard noted.

“Really pissed,” Minako noted glumly.

Motoko paced restlessly, her thoughts racing. “I”d like t keep her, she’s a damn powerful agent,” she noted, “should I go see her?”

“And tell her what?” Alucard said mockingly, “you’re really not in the employ of Sailor Venus, despite what it looks like?”

“Alucard,” Motoko growled, “you’re not helping.”

“Deeply sorry,” Alucard said, not at all sounding repentant.

Minako cleared her throat, “Not telling her the whole truth is what got us into this mess, I think.” A smile, “I’ll go see her myself.”

“Not without a bodyguard,” both Alucard and Motoko said at nearly the same time.

“I’m not THAT crazy,” Minako acknowledged.

To be continued....

Notes: Attim M-Zak, Kei and the Emblem Seeds are all from the manga Seraphic Feather.