Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Eternal City:Crystal Tokyo ❯ Chapter 50

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Eternal City, Crystal Tokyo
Eternal Blaze

Crystal Tokyo high school student Subaru Yagami wasn't quite sure what to make of the intense blond haired teen who had left a note in her shoe locker at school. She certainly wasn't dressed like a high school student, instead of the classic blazer design that Subaru wore the woman was dressed in a black one-piece semi-swimsuit, with matching boots and gloves. She had a dramatic cape that swirled around her and gold jewelry highlighting her costume. A leather belt hung around her waist with a large pouch, and a gold raised triangle shone on the back of a glove.

The busy cafe that the note said to go to was crowded with students, one reason Subaru was willing to meet the strange woman there, and they also served some lovely deserts. The woman had promised to treat, so Subaru ordered a double sundae even as her bemused companion did too.

“Thank you for agreeing to see me,” the blue eyed blonde smiled slightly as she bowed slightly in her seat across the private booth, “my name is Alicia Testarossa.”

“Miss Testarossa,” Subaru smiled as the brown haired girl noted, “I assume you know who I am, or you wouldn't have asked to see me.”

“You are Subaru Yagami,” Alicia said agreeably as she ate her ice cream, savoring the cool taste, “the several times great-granddaughter of Hayate Yagami, who was possessor of the Book of the Night Sky and a mage.”

Subaru gaped at her, obviously surprised. “You're from Midchild,” she guessed, looking at Alicia much more warily.

“Yes,” Alicia agreed, “and no. It's rather complicated to go into.”

Subaru ate more of her ice cream, even as she studied the other woman. “I thought it was illegal for Midchild mages to scout people in our dimension?” she asked.

“Probably,” Alicia admitted that point, “I haven't been able to keep up with current events.”

“But that agreement was made several hundred years ago,” Subaru protested.

“As I said, it's complicated,” Alicia ate a bit more ice cream. “Did your ancestor leave stories in your family, or journals?” she asked.

“A few,” Subaru conceded.

Alicia smiled wryly as she asked, “And did she talk about her allies Fate T. Harlaown and Nanoha Takamachi?”

“Yes, we have recordings of that She liked talking about her friends Nanoha and Fate...,” Subaru trailed off as she looked at Alicia, certain descriptions from passed down stories coming to mind. “It can't be,” she said weakly, “aren't you supposed to be dead?”

“I get that a lot,” Alicia admitted as she ate some chocolate syrup with ice cream. “What do you know about me?” she asked.

“Not a lot,” Subaru was looking at her with wide eyes, “I understand Fate and Nanoha didn't talk about it much. Apparently your mother Presea went slowly crazy when you died, and dedicated herself to bringing you back. She cloned you to create Fate and learned the myth of Al Hazard, a magical place that would grant any wish. She believed it could be accessed by ripping dimensions, but came into conflict with the Time Space Administration Bureau. The TSAB brought in Nanoha, there was a battle, and you and your mother fell into a dimensional rift.”

Alicia smiled slightly as she listened. “A bit weak in detail, but that about covers what I learned,” she agreed. “It turns out,” she said, “mother was right: the rifts DID lead to Al Hazard.”

“No way,” Subaru said weakly.

“The residents of that island recovered my mother and myself,” Alicia told her, “healed my mother's body and mind as well as fixed me.” She made a face, “I was lucky, apparently. Death is not as absolute for those people, but my being preserved by my mother helped immensely. They were able to restore me to life as well as most of my memories.”

“But if Al Hazard is real, why hasn't anyone heard of it?” Subaru challenged. “I went to Mid a few times, Al Hazard is a kid's story.”

“Time doesn't pass there the same way it does here,” Alicia explained patiently, “I was only there a decade or less, while out here, over a thousand years have passed by.” She smiled grimly, “Anyone who went questing for Al Hazard found themselves returning to a world far in the future where they might very well be forgotten, and no one would believe a man was a researcher who was gone for decades.”

“It... makes sense,” Subaru conceded after a moment's thought. She finished off her own ice cream as she asked, “So why did you come back from Al Hazard?”

Alicia shrugged slightly, “I wanted to help make up for my mother's crimes, since she is unable to do so herself.”

“Why not?” Subaru asked innocently.

Alicia took a deep breath then sighed, “Because my mother committed suicide once she was certain I was old enough to take care of myself.”

Subaru was stunned, “Why...?!”

Alicia looked away uncomfortably, “The people of Al Hazard restored her mind and body, Subaru. For the first time she could look at her actions unblinded by insanity and what she saw sickened her. She understood how deeply she had abused Fate, how she had hurt and killed innocents in her experiments and she couldn't delude herself about it any more.” Alicia shrugged uncomfortably, “She couldn't live with the guilt.”

“I'm sorry,” Subaru reached out and gently squeezed her hand.

“I've had time to deal with it,” Alicia said with a sigh. She shook her head, “Anyway, I went to Mid first to see what I could do about my mother's actions there. It had been so long that records were spotty, but as far as I could tell the injured were well taken care of.”

“So what do you plan to do?” Subaru asked, fascinated in spite of herself. Her common sense told her she should stay out of this, but the sad eyed woman's story was fascinating.

“I can't directly make up for my mother's actions in trying to save me,” Alicia shrugged, “but what I can do is try to help people in general.” She touched the gold triangle on her glove, “I regained a family heirloom in Mid, my Bardiche, and I... kind of borrowed another.”

“Borrowed?” Subaru had to ask at hearing the woman's tone of voice.

“All right,” Alicia admitted, “I stole it.”

Alicia reached into the pouch on her belt and took out a red, circular gem on a chain. A voice suddenly came out of the gem, “With my full support.”

“The gem talked?!” Subaru blinked. Admittedly a computer could be designed that small, with liquid crystal technology, but it wouldn't look so clear or beautiful as this.

“The gem is a device called Raising Heart,” Alicia said calmly, “it once belonged to Nanoha herself.” Her voice hardened, “It was put on display in a museum, even though it was signaling it wanted a master and to be used.”

“Raising Heart,” Subaru murmured, “it's beautiful.”

“I'm giving it to you, free and clear,” Alicia said quietly as she pressed the gem into her hands. Subaru looked at her in shock as Alicia shrugged, “I can sense you have immense magical potential, Subaru. Raising Heart will help you develop it.”

Holding Raising Heart Subaru felt such a sense of connection she literally couldn't say no. “How do I...?” she asked.

“Hold it, and listen to your heart,” Alicia said gently, “the words will come to you.”

Before anything more could be said, a male voice came from the gold device on Alicia's glove. “Master,” Bardiche said briskly, “Crystal Tokyo security units are incoming, less than a minute. TSAB forces are accompanying them.”

“Damn,” Alicia said mildly then shrugged as she looked at Sub aru, “it looks like I took too long. I'm sorry I can't explain more.”

“Wait!” Subaru yelped as Alicia started to walk away.

Alicia quickly reached the doors of the cafe then turned to address the crowd. “There's probably going to be a fight,” she said as she headed outside, “I'd suggest ducking under a table or something.”

Out on the sidewalk three figures in hardsuits descended, accompanied by two unarmored figures carrying weapons. The red hardsuit used a loudspeaker system to call out, “Unknown mage, you are requested to surrender at once.”

A short girl in a ruffled dress and cap, carrying a mallet looked at the blond in disbelief. “It can't be,” Vita said weakly.

“It certainly looks like her,” Signum managed, feeling equally stunned as she called out, “Fate! Is that you?!”

“No,” Alicia called back, “I am Alicia Testarossa.”

Ran Mizuno brought up the heads up display in her hardsuit, swearing softly as she took in the girl's raw power. She positively radiated magical energies, matching the abilities of a sailor senshi at rest. She looked at Signum, “I thought she was dead?”

“Lady Venus gave you a good briefing,” Signum muttered. “Yes, that's what I thought,” she said slightly louder.

Ran nodded briskly, “Then she's a fake running a con.” She addressed her fellow hardsuit pilots, “Haruhi, break left, Hazuki, go right. I'll engage and see what we're dealing with.”

“Wait!” Vita yelped but it was too late, Ran throwing her armor at high speed right towards the blond woman.

Alicia moved in a burst of inhuman speed, dodging Ran's attack even as she popped the golden triangle off her glove. “Bardiche!” she cried, triggering the device's swift transformation in a scythe-like weapon. “Load cartridge!” she ordered as the two other hardsuits opened fire.

Vita looked up at Signum as she asked, “Do you think we should help them?”

“Not yet,” Signum said as they watched Alicia out move all three hardsuits, “If she is Alicia Tesstarosa she can probably handle them. If she isn't, they'll take her down anyway.”

Within the now deserted cafe, crouching behind a table Subaru watched in shock as the hardsuits attacked, the encounter swiftly becoming a high speed blur. Even though she knew the suits were sent by the Queen, she found herself wanting to help Alicia! Her hand tightened around Raising Heart, then she blinked as words seemed to appear in her mind!

“Incanted, enchanted,” Subaru cried as she raised the device up, “set up!” Ribbons of light washed over her body, clothes melting away as they created a battle costume from her imagination. A long skirt split up each side for easy movement, boots, stockings, a armored jacket all materialized on her as a staff assembled itself around the red gem.

“Power spike!” Haruhi yelled a warning as they broke away from Alicia, scanning for a new opponent.

Signum's eyes widened as she felt that power too, then she made a choking sound as the young woman came out of the shop carrying Raising Heart. “This is not good,” she muttered.

“Tell me about it,” Vita agreed.

To be continued....