Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ One of those Unsually good days ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

One of those unusually good days

By Haruka-chan

AN: I usually don't write sailor moon fan-fiction but decided it couldn't hurt, anyway this is a one shot (my very first) so here goes nothing. This will be PG-13 though I also usually write R. I hope I don't make you guys too bored with this one. ^^ Enjoy!

It was one of those mornings that when you wake up you just wished that you were by the sea, listening to her sweet music as she gracefully mocked the heavens with her beauty. He smiled as the breeze hit his face softly, another dream, another night passed and he was yet to find his princess who invaded his dreams always. He wondered what she would do on a day like this one. He got out of bed and walked towards the refrigerator to pull out the container with orange juice. He then made his way to his small but roomy balcony; standing only in his boxers he let the wind caress his face, as the liquid he drank down made a cool path down his throat. He sighed after swallowing the liquid contents.

`What am I doing? I don't even know if she exists and I'm giving up my youth looking for answers which probably won't make me any different' he though almost bitterly.

Sometimes these quite times made him question himself and what he really wanted, was it possible that in some strange way he was in love with her? He shook his head now he was taking it too far, only geeks dreamt of girls and fell in love with them, nope he was no geek he was Darien, the cool always casual mysterious young man. Great now he had an ego to go with his dorkiness. Suddenly that made him think of the `meatball head' or what others called her, Serena. She was always doing the stupidest things, but he had to admit she was cute and not all that bad to look at if she didn't fall on her face while talking to you. He chuckled and shook his head lightly knowing openly well that she had a crush on his friend Andrew and every other pretty boy that passes her, but she was kind though her mouth proved that wide of the mark at times. He walked inside and pulled on a shirt when he heard the soft knock on his door.

"Who is it-" he stopped when he saw that it was the meatball head herself standing in front of him holding a tote bag; she always dressed in these short skirts, like at that very moment in a yellow chiffon ruffled layered mini skirt, with a white tank that had a blue ribbon in the middle to bring attention to her bosoms and blue flip flops, which looked very attractive on her at that very moment.

It wasn't her idea to get up an hour early just so she can fulfill the dare, which was the result of their boring meeting about fighting evil and saving earth. It was Lita's idea that they play a game of truth or dare and who ever didn't do the dare had to share a banana split sundae with Melvin. It was also Lita who asked her the question; being brave she picked `dare' only to have this thrown at her face. Now here she stood in front of his door, ready for a day at the beach with the guy who almost annoyed her to death.

"Meatball head?" he asked surprised.

Damn him, always calling her a meatball head for no reason, her hair style was a bit strange but it wasn't completely strange that he had to call it such a piggish name. But she had to admit that he was handsome, with his shirt open and him standing in his boxers she had a great view of what seemed like a very built body. She inhaled and then started her story to explain to him why she was at his door 8 in the morning.

"Um…don't take this the wrong way, I was dared to ask you to the beach so, here I am or I will have to share a sundae with Melvin." She spoke looking at his door mat.

He laughed at her lightly. "Oh and you even managed to get up in time to catch me, you must be serious, though I didn't know sharing a sundae would really be that bad for you, after all most of it will probably go into you." He said smiling loving the way her face blew up at his words.

How dare he say something such as that, who in the hell did he think he was? She looked at him with her finest defiant stare, "You know what forget it! It was mistake!" she exclaimed about to turn and leave when she felt his hand on her wrist and his laughter.

"No wait come on in, I'm sorry. I have the day off so I'll do you this BIG favor." He said pulling her inside and closing the door. "Plus I don't want the neighbors complaining about a certain meatball head making commotions in front of my door."

"You're a jerk you know that? Or is it that you choose to be one with me!?" she asked as she stood inside his apartment, liking the smell of green apples which was odd. "What is that smell?" she asked.

"Must be the candles, I burned some of them to calm my nerves." He called from the bathroom.

She looked towards the green candles which were indeed on his mantle, his apartment was clean and neat, it wasn't a bad hang out place either, which surprised Serena who heard stories of single guys with their own place. She looked towards the balcony and instantly walked towards it, placing her tote by the door. She stepped out and smiled, the breeze blowing her hair, it was a great day for the beach, the scent of the intoxicating ocean and sound of happy people, a great combination.

He walked out of the bathroom and saw that the meatball head was nowhere to be found. He then heard the small sigh from the balcony and smiled a little, she stood with her skirt flowing around her shapely legs, and her hair blowing behind her like silk flying in the wind. He stopped himself from even going there. "hey meatball head." At the sound of his voice she turned to look at him, and he almost gasped at the sight, at that very instant, when turning to face him, she looked almost like the princess from his dreams but then it couldn't be her, she was no princess material! "I'm ready lets get going," he said running his hand through his hair.

"Yeah sure, what ever. I don't want to be late after I woke up so early.' She said as she picked up her bag walking past him.

He smiled as he grabbed his extra helmet and a small back pack, locking the door and turning to find her waiting for him in front of the elevator. She turned towards him and looked at him when he wasn't calling her names, and making fun of her, and saw a handsome guy who looked a bit lonely. She smiled to herself as the small `bing' indicated that the elevator was here.

"Come on meatball head," he said as he pulled her in, she was always in these dazes and smiling, not that it was a bad thing or anything it was just she annoyed him sometimes with her smile and her dream like state. It wasn't a wonder to him why the girl fall on her face every five feet, but then again it was this same characteristic about her that made him jealous of her, that she was just so excepting of everything. "So what are we going to do at the beach? How long are you going to stay there?" he asked making a conversation while they got down from his 16th floor apartment.

"I guess we'll walk around a but, then go swinging, and play games you know the stuff that you do at the beach! And if you want to leave ten minutes later that would have been fine with me, but the dare was that I spend a whole day with you." She said. "Rei is probably waiting out to make sure I'm not making a `move' on you, as if I'm interested." She mumbled on.

The elevator opened letting them out, "That's fine with me, just try and not to fall of the bike, I assure you that it will hurt more then your daily trips." He said as he handed her the helmet in his hands. "I don't want our fake date to end up with me taking you to the hospital in the case you couldn't hold on, while the bike was moving."

"Your such a jerk!, I'm not stupid that I'm going to fall of a bike." She said rolling her eyes as they neared the red motorcycle.

"Ok, hold on to your bag and me," he said as he got on, he almost gasped when she sat down behind him and wrapped her arms around his waist, it was some sort of shock that moved through his body and hit him right in the chest. He couldn't explain it.

"Ok I have the helmet on and I'm holding on to you tight, let's get going before there is a crowd and we don't have a decent place to sit." She complained.

"Ok hold on meatball head," he said as he started the ignition and soon they sped off into the direction of the beach.

Rei was indeed in the bush with Ami who was dragged into the whole thing, and Lita who wanted to make sure she actually did go out with him. Though she promised pictures, Lita was still determined to find out everything that would happen that day when Serena and Darien went out on their first date. Luna decided that she should come along to make sure Serena did her job in case something supernatural happened.

"I can't believe that she actually did it," said Lita as she watched the motorcycle disappear into the traffic. "Got to hand it to Serena, she's got guts."

"Lita why did it had to be Darien? I mean he's the guy I'm suppose to be going out with," Rei whined as she looked at the tall brunette.

"Because it had to be a challenge and relax Rei Serena and Darien hate each other, I don't know how she got him to agree but she did it, and that's that." Said Lita.

"It would be better if she was this brave during battle." Sighed Luna as she walked beside Ami.

"Come on we have to catch the next bus to the beach, if we want to see what their doing." said Lita grabbing the other two and making a run for it.

She held on to him as tight as she could without actually killing him, not that she was that strong; she found herself inhale the scent that was distinctly his, it was of sandal wood with a touch of green apples and mandarin oranges mixed with his own body musk; the scent was surprisingly pleasant and made her want to bury her face into the warmth which she felt elope around her. What was this tug at her chest she got every time she was around the idiot? Was it heart issues? She thought of everything and avoided the obvious. It wasn't possible that she had a small tiny `thing' for him. No of course not it had to be the air that was making her head and body hot with realization.

He felt her hands around him, and felt her breathe on his back, it almost sent a familiar chill down his spine; he was upset with what his head was thinking up this morning, these foreign feelings for the girl clinging to him made him question his sanity. What in the hell was he doing? Why did he agree? Maybe he just needed a break from being Tuxedo Mask for one day and enjoy himself; he did enjoy her company he enjoyed being around her, and making her angry. Maybe he did have a little bit of feelings for the girl, but of course nothing serious, never.

"Which beach are you going to? We should have been there already!" she whined.

"Would you calm down Meatball head I'm almost there, and what beach do you think were going to?" he asked.

"To the DECKS." She stated.

"Well were going to the Ogasawara shotou," he said making a turn to the right.

"What why there?" asked Serena, she heard about the small islands Dolphins can be seen year-round in the waters around the Ogasawara Islands. The most commonly seen is the bottlenose dolphin. It was possible to swim with the dolphins, and she heard that the area was beautiful to the eye.

"Well because there is hardly anyone there and other then that I have a friend their who I haven't seen for a while. Besides DECKS is always filled with people and tourists, and I bet that Lita, Rei, and Ami is going to meet their to spy on us." He stated as if in the process stating that he wanted to be alone with her.

Serena blushed lightly, what was he implying? She nodded softly. "I guess that's true, but we have to stop by DECKS just so they know I didn't chicken out."

"What ever Meatball head." He said with a smile as he speed towards the docks. "I'll show you what you been missing all this time."

"Is that so?" she asked as she saw the small smile on Darien's lips.

"Ever been to Hirashima?" asked Darien as he stopped and parked his bike, taking of the helmet and looking towards her.

She stood of the bike and pulled the helmet, but it didn't come off, she stood their panicking when she heard a small `click' and she was released from the evil helmet. She glared at the black helmet and then at its owner when she heard laughter. "That isn't funny you dork, I didn't remember, and no I have never been to Hirashima but I did hear of it and it's beach, is it true that it can be seen from the Oki harbor?" she asked.

"You know for someone who gets 30s on geography you sure do know a lot about the topic." He stated.

"Of course I know about it, it was in the latest issue of `Girls be' the summer vacation issue." She said as she pulled out the magazine.

He ran his hands through his hair and shook his head, "I can't say I'm not surprise, anyway come on we better get on the boat before we have to wait for another two hours for the next one." He said grabbing his back pack and her hand.

It looked like a date, it felt like a date, and she almost acted as if she was on a date, but then it wasn't that awkward walks or quite blushing, they laughed and made fun of each other on the way to the boat, that was the difference they were just pretending. They boarded the boat, which currently halted in Oki Harbor.

Serena pushed back the small hairs from the corner of her ears and looked out into the approaching island, she really could see the white beach, and the blurred background which fit so wonderfully with its horizon. She looked at him and smiled he was looking out into the water too but his eyes didn't hold the same new found treasure look but a nocturnal look of familiarity and wishing to belong.

"Hey, you okay?" she asked placing a hand on his shoulder.

He looked at her and saw the worry that she barely fought to hide, what was it that she was doing, did she even know what sort of a person she was? It was no wonder the girl made friends so easily she was always concerned with others well being; even if that person is a complete ass hole. "Fine, just tired. I mean I did have a meatball head knocking on my door at eight in the morning." He said smiling back at her.

She removed her hand and looked away with a small `hmp' she was so simple minded yet she hardly knew what sort of impression that gave a person. She smiled again when she saw a fish pass by and jump up to entertain her. yes simple minded was the perfect word to describe her.

"Meatball head why do you wear you hair like that?" he suddenly asked finding an urge to earn why she bared the nick name with her hair style.

"because ever since I can remember I always had it this way, and in a way this is the only part of me that hasn't changed through out the years, I mean its like a memory box." She said running a hand through her hair and smiling. "And that is why you must respect it and never make fun of it you idiot."

He sighed and shook his head lightly, "What ever you say Meatball head."

"You bum…don't know what it had to be you. So anyway what's your `memory box' I mean I'm sure everyone has one." She said looking at him.

He suddenly found himself smile, she was right her hair hasn't changed since he met her, it's always the same; what was his memory box? He didn't have one; he didn't have any memories, only his princess could tell him the missing pieces of the puzzle to his mysterious past, which left him alone. "I guess I don't have one, I mean most of my memories of my childhood were wiped out when I was in a car accident, and ever since I hardly had any memories worth mentioning." He said. "Although there is one now that I think about it, it was this girl who came into my hospital room and gave a rose, she told me not to worry and that she would be there for me always," he chuckled lightly as he turned from the water to her.

She was smiling this blissful smile as if she was child who heard of Cinderella for the first time. She then giggled, "Then you should make more memories to tell to `friends' and hey you never know maybe that girl is with you always you just don't notice that she is there, maybe she is watching over you, protecting you." She said giving him a V sign. "Promise me that you'll try to have fun, that you'll make a memory of this day so when the next time someone asks you about a good memory you can tell them of this one."

"You got yourself a deal meat ball head, I mean spending a day with can't be that bad." He said smiling his trademark smile that drove girls crazy.

"Oh! Wow look at that beautiful beach, I can't wait to walk on It," she said as she pointed at the beach which was now just a few feet away from where they stood on the boat. "I'll be back, I have to change into my bathing suite."

He watched her rush towards the changing room of the boat, he thought about that girl who pulled out a single rose to give to him, she was smiling almost as much as Serena did…why was it that all he thought about was her as of this morning, it's as if what ever he thought of he unintentionally found himself compare her to it. He closed his eyes and vision of the princess floated into his mind; the breeze blew into his face as he felt the boat come to a slow halt, the sound of water hitting the beach and the sides of the boat. It was calming; it was almost too tranquil for a place like Tokyo. It was her voice that brought his attention to his surrounding.

"Hey ready to go?" she asked now in a blue halter bikini top with pink Hibiscus flowers and matching bottoms underneath a small wrap skirt. "What you think? I got it this one for this summer." She said as she whirled around for him to see.

"Not bed, but maybe you should cut on the junk food." He said picking up his bag and walking towards where the dock was so they could get off the boat and onto the beach.

"Why do you have to be so mean?" she asked following after him.

"I'm not mean, I'm just saying that's all, I suggested it you don't have to take my word for it." He said carelessly loving the way her face blew up at his comments.

"You know you make it really hard for me to like you, I try but every time I come some what close to maybe liking you, you go and slap me back with your stupid comments." She said.

He grabbed her hand and rushed her of the dock and onto the beach, he didn't know why but he didn't like the way the young men were looking at her, yes she was very tempting in that bathing suite and her mother probably wouldn't have liked it if she were here, but he wasn't her mother and hell he was jealous. That one hit hard on his mind, he was jealous of the way she caught the attention of those boys, but she hardly took notice of it. Why was he jealous? Could it possibly be that in some strange pain in the ass way he wanted the girl? Maybe it was hormones from seeing her in that bikini, but why were his hormones acting up? Hell now he was driving himself crazy with questions, which he needed to ponder on, but he knew one thing. He just wanted her attention on him and so far he was succeeding at it.

"What's the deal, why are we rushing we have time." She said as she followed behind him.

"Let's find a place before there isn't anywhere to sit." He said trying to make her believe that he was doing it to find them a good place to sit.

"Ok just let go before you break of my hand," she mumbled as his hands loosened around hers and slowly fell. "I think this is a nice place." She said as she placed her bag down, they were far from the crowd and had a nice view and access to the water, it was as if they were on the island by themselves, the idea brought a romantic notion into her mind as she watched Darien unbutton his shirt and pull it off, and then work on his trousers which left him in a pair of swimming trunks. He was gorgeous in as the sun basked around him making him look like a god. She knew Buda said to eliminate desire and you shall find what you seek, but how could you not desire someone who looked like him? "Snap out of if!" she scolded herself as she took out the towel to sit on it.

"Snap out of what?" Darien asked looking at her as she talked to herself.

"Nothing, just…nothing don't mind me." She said as she looked at him.

"So what do you want to do first?" he asked.

"How about getting something to eat! I didn't have breakfast yet." She said.

"Fine let's go there is a small restaurant near by, well eat there and pick up a couple of drinks." He said.

"Couldn't you have said that before I took out my towel?" she asked getting up, picking up her towel to fold it and stuff it back in her tote.

"It was your idea to go and eat!" he bounced back.

"Hey you didn't eat either and if I hadn't suggested you would have been here with an empty stomach and didn't anyone tell you that it isn't good to be in an empty stomach?" she asked.

"No mom," he shot back as they walked up the stairs to the small hut like restaurant.

She grunted and followed beside him, they entered the small but cool and almost comforting atmosphere of the restaurant. They were shown a small table for two in a corner all to themselves.

"What would you like ma'am?" asked the waitress who was currently focusing on Darien and his smile.

Serena glared at the waitress and looked through the menu. "I'll have your pancake special with eggs, bacon, and the fruits salad and for a drink I'll have a orange-mango-peach juice." She said.

"Why don't you order the whole menu Meatball head." Said Darien as he looked at the menu as well.

"Oh shut up just because you can stand not eating for a long time doesn't mean I can, and besides I like to start the day feeling full and satisfied." She said.

"What would you like sir?" she asked waiting for him, not that she really minded.

"I'll have a cup of coffee black and one sugar, and just give me the eggs special." Said Darien as he smiled at her.

"Thank you, I will be with you shortly." She blushed as she walked away.

"Your sick, don't forget your still dating Rei." Said Serena.

"Of course not, but I'm not dating her Meatball head, we haven't been out on a date yet so I'm pretty much single and free to choose who ever appeals to me." He said leaning back in his chair.

"Your such a pig." She mumbled as she looked out into the water, the cool breeze blowing into her face, something about this island made her feel free. She smiled as she noticed the young couple walking by hand in hand.

"What has you so quite for more then one minute?" Darien asked looking towards where she was currently looking. He saw the couple and then the almost silent longing in her eyes. Of course what 14 years old didn't dream of finding prince charming, someone to fall in love with, to have a boyfriend who treated her like a princess, he just never thought of Serena as that sort of a teen. To him she was loud, happy; always smiling and making others smile even if that meant falling down on air. But now he saw a girl who wanted to fall in love, have what a couple in love had, and perhaps even have it last forever like a timeless romance; this Serena was much more elegant not deliberately but in though, in appearance, she seemed like…he stopped himself from going there again.

They stood together watching the sunset on the boardwalk; she looked at him almost hesitantly only to find him staring back at her. Was it all it took a day in the beach to invoke such strong feelings for someone? No of course not but it wasn't too impossible if that feeling already existed. He stepped forward and watched as she opened her mouth, but said nothing. He knew what he wanted to do, what he felt he should to end a wonderful day at the beach, with a wonderful companion. She was his companion…truth be told he found himself trust her more then he though he possibly could, she held this place in his head where she would be the one he would think of in comparing to something special and beautiful.

They ate with a light conversation, which consisted of small insults and comments. They soon left the restaurant and were back on the beach. The children followed Darien around saying something about seeing him on a children's show a couple of weeks ago. And soon they ended up playing hide and seek, and building sand castles, and tag.

"Miss. Serena catch me if you can." Yelled one of the young boys.

"I'm really working out." She complained as she chased after the children.

"Come on Meatball head put your back into it!" exclaimed Darien.

She grunted and chased after him, when she found she was close enough she threw herself on him and brought him down to the ground and they rolled down the small hill until he ended up on top of her. He looked down at her breathless and smiling, as did she, the contact of their bodies causing discomfort on both of their parts.

"Hey do you think they'll kiss now?" asked one of the girls sitting on top of the hill next to the boy who stood with his arms folded on his chest.

"No I don't think so." He said.

"Too bad." She answered back.

Darien didn't know what came over him but he found this urge to kiss her, but he pushed himself off and helped her up. "Sorry."

"It's ok, hey let's go swimming, right guys you want to go swimming?" she asked the children who cheered their answer.

"Ok" Darien answered.

"Come on Darien." She said extending her hand to him.

He liked the way she called his name; it was a slow caress against his skin, as he took her hand he wondered if he was causing as much of awareness within her as she was for him. They headed towards the water where they played games and much to both of their contentment there was something that always gave them a chance to touch and be close. It was mid afternoon they went by the pool where they were allowed to swim with dolphins.

Mean while Lita, Ami, Rei and Luna where on a search for Serena and Darien who where to be found, after looking for them majority of the morning they gave up and hoped that Serena showed at the spot they were originally to meet to show they were on their date.

They headed to DECKS just an hour before sunset, secretly both happy that the negaverse didn't decided to come and spoil their day because it certainly was something that they hadn't planned on. It was more then anything they planned it for, because it made them feel something that they never noticed was there. Attraction to each other. They headed to the broad walk as Serena finished of her third ice cream and smiled with fulfillment.

"Thanks for today." He said softly reaching out and taking her hand.

"No it was fun, I guess your not a jerk as I thought you to be." Serena smiled a small blush playing on her cheeks as he hand her hand, she let loose a small gasp when she felt the red rubber band slip through her hand on to her wrist. "What is that for?"

"A token to remember a special day." He said smiling holding her hand still.

"Thanks, here take this for a token as well." She said handing him the cherry lollipop she had bought earlier. "I guess you could eat it, She said with a smile.

"Thanks Serena."

"Thanks for a nice date and calling me by my name…it was nice." She blushed as she stepped forward.

He leaned down and softly brushed his lips with her, liking the small gasp when he pulled away. He smiled at her squeezing her hand. She smiled back understanding him almost as if it was just the two of them who had this unspoken language. It was then she heard the sound of Lita's voice.

"Serena!"

"I guess this date is officially over." He said releasing her hand.

"I mean we could go on another one if you want…" she said looking down at the ground.

"Yeah."

"Hey you two where have you been, we came here right after you-I mean we been here for a while and we didn't see you." Said Rei.

"Actually we went to Hirashima." Said Darien.

"It was so wonderful we swam with the dolphins and even saw some whales." Said Serena with excitement.

"That's wonderful, I guess you two had a really good time," said Rei.

"Yeah it was nice." Said Darien looking towards Serena who smiled back.

"So why don't we go to Andrews for a drink before going home?" asked Ami.

"Yeah that's a great idea." Said Lita.

"Hey Luna you came to the beach too?" asked Serena picking up the cat and petting her.

"Hey" said Darien patting Luna's head and smiling at her. "Wasn't this the cat that I saved because you were so careless?"

"Hmp what are you talking about I take very good care of Luna." Said Serena as she started to walk forward.

`Yes only I know how wonderful Serena is,' thought Luna with a sigh.

Rei looked at Darien who smiled at Serena's back. "So let's go and we could talk about our date next Friday." Said Rei as she hooked her arm with Darien.

"Sure." He said as he looked down at her.

Serena smiled as she looked down at the red rubber band around her wrist. `No today was the best date I had.'

Darien smiled and walked beside Rei and looked up at the sky that was quickly darkening. `Maybe I don't need to try so hard, after all now I have a good memory which is sole mine.'

AN: Ok everyone I hope you liked it please tell me what you thought I love feedbacks. My e-mail is Moondream1305@aol.com. ^_~