Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Over The Rainbow ❯ The New Girl ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Over The Rainbow 1

The New Girl

Disclaimer: I do not own any of these Sailor Moon characters except for Lydia. This takes place in the first season of Sailor Moon and since it was a long time ago, this probably won't make a lot of sense. It's toonami's fault that they took SM off the air in the fist place!

In Ireland, a peasant girl named Lydia was lowering a bucket into a stone well. She was a petite girl who had rough hands with calluses, shoulder-length red-orange hair in braided pigtails and indigo eyes. She was wearing a white shirt and overalls with a whole in one of the knees. A plump woman walked out of a church and approached her.

"Lydia, I must speak to yeh." She said.

"But Madam Indigo," Lydia began, "I need to finish my chores."

"You can finish that another time," Madam Indigo told her. "This is more important."

Lydia followed her inside a church. "What's this about?"

"Do yeh remember about the story of the moon kingdom?"

"Yes. It's quite a story."

"Well, it's more than just a story," Madam Indigo said. "It's real. On the moon kingdom, the moon princess had a very close friend. You are that friend."

Lydia chuckled as if Madam Indigo had just told her a joke. "Ha-ha. Good one, Madam Indigo. But really, I need to finish--"

"It's true!" she cried.

"Not going as well as we thought, eh?" an orange, furry cat with a green collar and a rainbow on his forehead jumped onto the podium.

"Did that cat just talk?" Lydia demanded.

"Hello, Lydia," the cat said. "Call me Lucky. Now listen carefully. You are the sailor scout of the rainbow. I know this for certain. You were a princess of the rainbow of long ago."

"Sailor what?"

"There are five sailor scouts in Japan in battle with Queen Beryl," he explained, "and you must help them. Long ago, Queen Beryl attacked the moon kingdom and your mother, Queen Azure, a friend of Queen Serenity, created the rainbow crystals to trap Beryl's seven shadow warriors. Now she wants them back and it's up to you that she does not get the crystals.

"Is this for real?"

"Yes, Lydia," Madam Indigo told her. "I found Lucky yesterday and he told me all about it."

"How can I find the crystals?" Lydia asked.

Lucky jumped down from the podium and magically, lay a round locket with a shamrock on it and next to it a matching wand. He pointed to the locket first. "This is your Rainbow Prism Locket. It will glow the color of whatever crystal ye are near. It can also give you to the power to change into Sailor Rainbow. Just say 'Rainbow Prism Power.'"

Lydia mouthed the words to lock it in her mind, mumbled, "Got it," and picked up the locket. "Well, what's that thing?" She nodded to the wand.

"Your Shamrock Wand," she replied. "Ye can use this to attack your enemies."

Madam Indigo handed her backpack with some clothes, pictures and other things. "You're already packed. I will come with you and I'll stay as long as you'd like."

"Thank you, Madam Indigo," Lydia said, placing her shamrock wand in the backpack and then strapping it around her shoulders. "I'd rather not stay in a strange place on my own. I'll miss Ireland too much. I already do."

"So shall I, lassie," Madam Indigo agreed, "but this is destiny."

************

"Oh no, I'm late again! I'm so busted!" Serena panted as she ran to school, her bag slung over her shoulder and her long streamers of hair swishing back and forth. She jumped up the stairs and hurried down the hall to her first class. "Sorry I'm late!" she exclaimed as she opened the door and slammed it behind her.

"Glad you were finally able to join us," the teacher grunted, standing with her hands placed on the shoulders of a new student.

Serena blinked as she looked at the new student. She looked right back at Serena in the same manner, as if they were buddies that have grown apart and then finally reunited.

'She looks so familiar to me,' Serena thought, staring at the new girl. 'Where have I seen her?'

The girl's reddish-orange braids came to her shoulders with white rubberbands at the end to secure them. She had a few freckles on her cheeks and arms and her eyes were indigo. She wore a uniform matching Serena's, except the skirt fell passed her knees and was hunter green and her bow was violet with a round white locket with a shamrock in the middle. She had a petite and slender build.

"You may take your seat now, Serena," the teacher said loudly, to break her out of her trance. Some people laughed. Serena took her seat, the one next to Molly's.

"As I had told you, Lydia is from Ireland," the teacher went on, "I hope you will be help her feel welcome. Lydia, take the seat behind Serena."

"Ah, thank you," Lydia chirped and took the vacant seat behind Serena.

Serena turned around in her seat, "Hi."

"Top of the mornin' to ye," Lydia said.

"So, you are really from Ireland, huh?"

Lydia smiled and nodded. "It's beautiful over there."

"Miss it, huh?"

Lydia and nodded, "Yes, I do."

"Y'know, this might sound kinda strange but--"

"Serena, you can associate later," the teacher scowled, "let's start the lesson now, please."

"Yes, ma'am," Serena mumbled, moving her path of vision to the teacher and the board. Her other classmates snickered lightly, even Molly, who tried to hide it.

Throughout the class, Serena and Lydia both wondered, how and why they felt they knew each other.

************

The bell rang, signaling for the students to go to their next class.

"My name is Molly," Molly said as she picked up her math book and notebook, hooking them in her left arm so her right was free to shake Lydia's hand. She nodded to Serena. "Serena and I are best friends."

"Oh," Lydia said. 'If she's friend with her, then maybe Serena can't be my friend from the moon kingdom.' Lydia forced a smile as she shook Lydia's hand. "Pleased to meet ye, Molly."

"If you need any help any of your classes," Molly said, "I'll study with you."

"Molly's so good she can teach the class some times," Serena joked.

"Oh, I wouldn't know about that," Molly said, "you're still failing!"

"No I'm not!" Serena muttered. "I try!"

Lydia chuckled lightly.

"I just like sleeping and eating more, that's all," Serena sighed.

"Well, you need to study a bit more if you want to pass," Molly said, "and on your own too. Oh, I'd better get to my next class. See you later!"

"Sure," Lydia said.

"Bye, Molly," Serena said.

Molly walked out of the classroom and Serena started to pick up her stuff.

"She's a nice lass," Lydia said as she put her math book in her backpack carefully enough that Serena didn't see her shamrock wand.

"Yes," Serena said, "Oops, my pencil!" Her pencil rolled off her desk and she tried to reach for it.

"Here," Lydia picked it up and handed it to her.

"Thanks," Serena said, "I'm so clumsy!" she giggled and picked up the rest of her stuff. The two girls walked out of the room together. "That's a nice brooch, Lydia. I like it."

"Why thank ye," Lydia blushed, holding her hand on it. "I like yours too. Where'd you get it?"

"It was a present," Serena said.

"Mine too," Lydia said.

Serena blushed and rubbed her forehead, "Um, this might sound a little funny but…do I know you from somewhere?"

"No, I don't think so," Lydia replied. "I lived in Ireland all my life and this is my first time from home."

"Yeah," Serena said, "thought so. Sorry. You just look so familiar to me."

"That's funny," Lydia smiled, "I was thinking the same thing."

"Really? Whew!" Serena wiped her forehead. "I thought it was just me. Maybe we just knew each other in another life or something."

"Perhaps," Lydia commented.

"Well, as far as I'm concerned," Serena stated, stopping in the hall and pulling on Lydia's shoulder to make her stop walking, "I think this is the start of a beautiful friendship!" she held out her hand for Lydia to shake.

Lydia stared at it for a while then to Serena's eyes, with a surprised and yet blank expression on her face. Then she smiled and shook Serena's hand courteously. "Aye, Serena. I think so too!"

"Hey, you want to do something after school?" Serena questioned. "I can show you all the neat places and the hot guys here!"

"I'll appreciate that," Lydia said.

"Good," Serena said, "I'll meet you at the flagpole outside, k?"

"Sounds great. See you then."

************************

Lydia waited patiently at the flagpole for Serena. "Am I at the right flagpole?" she asked herself as she checked her watch. She looked up and saw Serena running down the steps.

"I'm so sorry!" Serena cried. "I had some homework to finish."

"Quite all right."

Serena walked Lydia around town and showed her the sites. They stopped at the diner and then the comic book store.

"Look, the new Sailor V comic!" Serena said, pointing at the comic at the window.

"Who's Sailor V?" Lydia asked, sipping her milk shake.

"Get out!" Serena gasped, "You don't know Sailor V?" she almost dropped her ice cream cone.

"Well, should I?"

"You're from Ireland," she said. "Sailor V is like the number one hero in England."

Lydia laughed, "sorry. Ireland doesn't think much about English heroes."

"I can't believe you never heard of her! Come with me, I want to show you the arcade!" She grabbed her hand and dragged her to the arcade. "Later I'll introduce you to my friends!"

"That sounds great," Lydia said, "thank ye Serena."

"Hi Serena!" Andrew said happily. "Who's your friend?"

"Oh, hey, Andrew," Serena said.

"The name's Lydia, laddie, Lydia Macgregor!" Lydia exclaimed.

"She's an exchange student from Ireland," Serena explained.

"Yeah, I thought so," Andrew mumbled.

"Come on, Lydia," Serena said, pulling on her hand. "You have to try the Sailor V game."

"There's a Sailor V game too?" she asked.

"Movies too."

"Movies? They made movies of this person?"

"Yup."

She led her to the Sailor V game and let her use one of her own tokens to play. "Now, all you got to do is…" she began to tell Lydia how to play the game but Lydia immediately picked it up. "Oh, hey, you're doing pretty good! And you said you never played this game!"

"Well, I haven't," Lydia said.

"Maybe you're just good at games," Serena guessed.

"No, I've never played video games," Lydia admitted. "I'm not much of a game player, you know. I just like to collect good luck charms and things like that. Hey, this is pretty fun!"

"Good luck charms, huh?" Serena said, "So that's why you're having good luck with it! Just look at your score! You're even better than Ami!" Serena exclaimed.

"Who?"

"She's my brainy friend," she replied. "Ami is studying to become a doctor."

"I'd like to meet her."

"Oh wow, it's him!" shouted a girl frantically. "Game Machine Joe!"

"He's the best game player in the universe!" commented some guy.

"Just look at his score!"

Lydia felt some warmth in her chest and looked down to notice her brooch blinking red rapidly. "Oh my goodness," she whispered.

"What's wrong, Lydia?" Serena asked.

Lydia didn't answer. Instead she stood up and started walking around the arcade. "Did ye hear someone say something about a guy?" Lydia questioned. "Best arcade game player?"

"You mean Game Machine Joe?"

"Yes, where is he?"

"There where the crowd of people are," Serena said, pointing to a racecar game where ten people huddled around the player. "Why, thinking of trying to break his score? Think again, girlfriend!" Serena closed her eyes and waved her hand back and forth, "it wouldn't even be--"

Lydia pushed herself through the crowd. The closer she got to him, the brighter red her brooch became. 'He's the carrier of the first crystal; the red crystal. I know it. I must get a look at him.'

"Huh, Lydia, where'd you go?" Serena asked, looking around. "Lydia?"

"Oh, excuse me," Lydia said as she wiggled herself through the crowd. She looked down to the player. He had black hair, blue eyes and was wearing a blue cap backwards. He wore an orange jacket over a white shirt and blue jeans. He had black-framed glasses.

"Hallo, so ye must be Game Machine Joe!"

"That's me," Game Machine Joe said monotony, his eyes fixed on the screen.

"The name's Lydia Macgregor. It's nice to meet you. Say I was wonderin--"

"Hey, there you are!" Serena cried, wriggling through the crowd to get to Lydia. "You left me. I told you not to--whoa! Look at that score!"

Joe finished his game with a very high score. Everyone cheered and asked him how on Earth he was able to do it. He got up and started to leave and Serena interrogated Lydia.

"All right, you think he's cute, don't you? Admit it!" Serena said.

"I'm sorry, Serena, but I've got to get going," Lydia said, scanning the place for Joe's head. "I'll see ye tomorrow, okay?" she turned and went out the exit.

"Hey, but don't you want to meet my friends?" Serena called out, "oh, nevermind."

"Where did he go?" Lydia wondered out loud. "Have I lost him? I can't let him be found by one of Queen Beryl's generals!"

When she thought she had failed her mission before just begun it, she saw Joe walking down the sidewalk. He had his hand out and a glass bottle that was on the ground flew up and landed in the trashcan.

'He has a power,' she thought as she hurried to him. "Hey there, laddie, how did ye do that?"

"Are you following me?" he demanded.

"I just want to get to know ye a little better," she said. "So tell me, how were ye able to put that bottle in the trash can without picking it up with your hand?"

"I don't know," he said offhandedly, "I just do." He started to walk down the street and she walked next to him. "What do you want?"

"I'm new here," she said. "I'm from Ireland."

"I could tell by the accent," he muttered.

'Not polite, is he?' Lydia thought to herself. "Look, I just think it's safer to walk in pairs or groups."

"It's broad daylight!" he scoffed. "And nothing weird ever happens here."

"I wouldn't be so sure!" a voice cried. Zoicite appeared in the air about five feet away from him.

"What the?" Joe asked.

"Come on, we've got to get out of here!" Lydia grabbed Joe's hand and turned around, running as speedily as she could.

"Maybe we should split up," he said.

"No! We must stick together!" Lydia yelled.

"You can't run away!" Zoicite shouted.

"You hide," Joe said as they turned a corner, "I'll try to stop her!"

'He thinks she's after me!' she thought, 'He has no idea, doesn't he?'

"Go, get out of here!" he said, using his mind to pick up a trashcan and throwing at Zoicite. She screamed in anger.

"You are making this too hard!" she snapped.

"But, Joe, it's you she's after!" she tried to say as he pushed her away and went to face Zoicite. "You have something she wants!"

"Indeed I do!" Zoicite said, "now, boy, just hold still and it will be over soon."

"Go get help!" Joe shouted.

"Yes, laddie!" she said and got out of sight. She could hear Zoicite laughing as she used the black homing crystal to take the red crystal from Joe. His screaming was just too much for the petite Irish girl to take. "I can't let him see me transform. All right," she said, looking at her locket and holding her hand over her head, "it's time to see what this wee thing can do! RAAAAIIIINNNNBOOOOWWWW PRRRIIIIISSSSMMMMM POOWWWWEEEERRRR!"

Her fingernails were magically painted gold and then she was surrounded by multi color swirls. As she twirled around, pink ribbons appeared on her arms, torso and legs. A violet skirt and vest appeared on her white leotard. Both of her bows were indigo. Her boots were thigh high and there were three rounded tips at the top, green in color and they looked a lot like clovers. The three-sectioned sleeves were the primary colors, with red being on the top stripe, yellow the middle and blue the bottom. The three stripes of her glove bands were the secondary colors, orange, green and violet. A white choker appeared on her neck decorated with a shamrock. Lastly, a golden tiara went across her forehead and the gem was alexandrite, the one gem that looked like it changed colors in different shades of light, with it, two white ribbons appeared at the ends of her pigtails. A rainbow formed in the background with clouds at the ends and then shamrocks surrounded her on the ground, which she stood.

"Ah, the first crystal," Zoicite said as it appeared in front of his chest. "Come to me now." It started to float to her hand but an orange cat jumped out of nowhere, catching it in his mouth.

"Lucky, there ye are!" Sailor Rainbow shouted. Lucky frolicked to her and dropped the crystal in her hand.

"Give it!" Zoicite yelled.

"I don't think so, lassie!" Sailor Rainbow protested.

"Who are you and where are the other sailor scouts?" Zoicite demanded.

"I don't know where they are," she said, "but I am here to make sure these crystals don't fall in dirty hands like yours! I am Sailor Rainbow and I am going to kick your bloody ahrss!"

Next Chapter: Crystal Collector