Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Past and Present ❯ Past and Present ( Prologue )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Another edition is now taking place. Yes, again I have edited this story, but only because I cannot continue based on how it's written right now. Thank you.
 
Disclaimer: Bishoujo Senshi Sailormoon belongs officially to Naoko Takeuchi.
 
Past and Present
Serenarey Chiba
PG.-13
Prologue
 
Tokyo, Japan - May 17, 1994, Present Millennium
 
Deep in downtown Tokyo, Japan, in the Juuban district was a small restaurant and game arcade where most of the residents went every now and then for a few drinks and games. Sitting in one of the booths was a young girl of about sixteen who sat staring at her melting double-scooped chocolate fudge sundae without interest. The girl had long blonde hair that was brought up into one bun evenly on both sides of her head, and golden tresses that fell like waterfalls from each bun. Her azure-blue eyes were unfocused, and she closed them, deep in thought. A female black cat with a yellow crescent moon on her forehead stared at her charge, confusion etched over her face. The cat blinked her ruby-red eyes before narrowing them slightly.
 
Rising up on all four feet, the black cat padded across the table, and moved the sundae aside with one paw. Then concentrating on the young woman, the cat merely stared at her charge without blinking, as most cats can do. The young girl let out an involuntary sigh, letting her eyes open once again, still unfocused. The cat stood up on her hind legs, raising one forepaw up. About to slap the young woman in the face, the cat was incredibly surprised when a young man of about twenty or so with dirty-blonde hair and bright green eyes came to the table. The man wore a white apron around his neck and semi-formal work clothes. When he stared at the cat, the cat stared back, setting the paw back down on the table as if she hadn't had anything planned.
 
The man continued to stare in bewilderment even as he tapped the young woman on her shoulder. The blonde girl was brought out of her thoughts and quickly shoved back into reality. She first saw her melting sundae, and looked at it forlornly. Then seeing her cat, she traveled along its gaze up to the young man looking at the cat, still bewildered. The young woman smiled genuinely at the young man, amused by his facial expression.
 
“Ah, Motoki-sempai! Good to see you!”
 
Furuhata Motoki forced his eyes away from the cat and smiled back at the young woman. Pulling her up from the booth, he crushed her in a good-natured hug before grinning from ear to ear. “Usagi-chan! Good to see you, too! How have you been? I haven't seen you around lately. Been busy?”
 
Tsukino Usagi smiled, her blue eyes lighting up. “Yes, a little too busy for my likes. You know, school, boyfriends, friends…Luna, my cat… It begins to add up, you know?”
 
Motoki nodded, frowning. Bringing his hand up to his chin, he narrowed his eyes as he thought about something. Usagi frowned as well, wondering what had her older friend so serious. When Motoki moved his eyes to look at Usagi, she felt a slight shiver down her spine - his eyes looked so serious, and wise when he gazed at her that she was unsure of what exactly she should be feeling. Then, when he glanced back at the cat, still silent, she felt another shiver go through her, and she forced a smile to her lips. “Ah, Motoki-sempai?”
 
He focused back on her, letting his hand fall. “Usagi-chan. Have you been all right? When I first came to talk to you, you looked deep in thought. I think you also worried Luna, since she was about to smack you in the face. Are you sure you're okay?”
 
Her eyes widened, and Usagi felt a slight, inaudible gasp escape her. Looking down, she forced another smile to her face. “I am fine, Motoki-sempai. Thank you for your kind concern. Really, I am okay, and my cat is just insane. Don't mind her. She thinks it's her duty to keep me in line.”
 
Looking back at Luna's annoyed eyes, Usagi let a small genuine smile slip through. Looking down at her wristwatch, Usagi frowned, blinking. She looked up at Motoki, taking a deep breath. “Well, Luna and I have to get going. Take care, all right, Motoki-sempai?”
 
Motoki still looked slightly confused. “You too, Usagi-chan.”
 
Usagi took a few steps away from Motoki before stopping, as if remembering something. Appearing to dig into her pink cotton-jacket pocket for something, Usagi turned around frowning. Her eyes narrowed, she made herself smile as she looked up at Motoki. Taking her hand out of her pocket, she took Motoki's hand and dropped a couple of one-hundred piece yen in his hand. Chuckling softly, Usagi held up on finger, and winked at the older man. “Guess I forgot to pay. Can't do that, now can I?”
 
She laid a hand on his shoulder before motioning for Luna to follow her as she walked away. Out of the corner of her right eye, Usagi saw Motoki glance at the money absently before looking back after her. Usagi's frown deepened and she walked through the automatically opened doors to go outside into the brisk weather of the late fall. Cheeks reddening as she felt the cold air wash over her, Usagi zipped up her jacket and put her hands in her pocket. Taking a deep breath, Usagi looked down at the observing Luna, and gave a slight, forced smile. Luna glared at her before going down the street past the café windows. Usagi walked more slowly behind the infuriated cat, her eyes downcast.
 
Just as she began thinking about what had been taking her thoughts earlier that day, Usagi felt a weight on her chest pushing her backwards. Spiraling out of her thoughts with a jump start, Usagi waved her arms before falling back on a bench. Gasping slightly in confusion, the blonde looked all around her, and saw that she had followed Luna without thought all the way into the middle of Juuban Central Park. Usagi looked confused more still when Luna jumped up beside her on the bench, and looked across at the vegetation. Usagi mustered another smile.
 
“Luna-chan…?”
 
Luna sighed, looking defeated. “Usagi-chan, why won't you tell anyone what is the matter with you?”
 
Usagi's frown deepened unconsciously. “What? What are you talking about? There's nothing wrong with me.”
 
“Lies!” Luna shouted, turning on Usagi with her teeth bared. Usagi backed away to an arm of the bench, holding up her arms in would-be protection. “Hey, hey, hey, Luna! What's gotten into you, huh?”
 
Luna growled slightly. “How dare you try to pull that past me! It's not like everyone hasn't noticed, and everyone is worried about you!”
 
The young woman forced a laugh to her lips, although there was a pulling of sorts in her chest. Making herself laugh hard in spite of the pulling, Usagi grinned at Luna. “Ha ha ha! Come on, Luna! What are you talking about? Seriously. There's nothing wrong with me, and besides…even if there were something wrong with me, which there isn't, I would tell you first thing! You know that, Luna!”
 
Luna closed her eyes tightly, and slowly padded close to Usagi. “Usagi-chan.”
 
Usagi looked down in concern. “What's wrong, Luna?”
 
“Usagi-chan, you know I love you, and you're really worrying me. For the last few meetings, you have been silent, and not at all like yourself. You waved away offerings of food, and did all of your homework. You also turned down Mamoru's offering for a date, and your eyes have always been without the light everyone knows and loves. Usagi, what's wrong with you!”
 
Tears trailed down Luna's face, and Usagi could do nothing except look down at her. She closed her eyes, and gently pushed the cat away from her. “It's nothing, Luna. Just forget it, all right?”
 
“Forget what? Did I miss something?”
 
Usagi jumped up from the bench and faced the stranger in a flash, only lowering her fisted hands when she saw her future husband, Chiba Mamoru. She forced her fists down, and looked away. “No, Mamo-chan. You've missed nothing.”
 
Luna dried her tears and addressed the man. “Mamoru-san. What are you doing here?”
 
Mamoru pointed back, surprised. His dark-blue eyes looked confused as he focused them on Usagi and he ran a hand through his midnight-black hair. Turning slightly away from his younger girlfriend, Mamoru said, “We had a meeting, but it was forty minutes ago. So, we've all been out looking for Usako. Apparently I've found her. Do I get a reward?”
 
He opened his arms toward the blonde, and she silently looked at him. Mamoru lowered his arms, slowly, finally seeing she wasn't going to come near him. Usagi seemed to be contemplating something as she looked at him, and Mamoru frowned, unsure of what was happening. “Eh…Usako? Is something wrong?”
 
“No one told me we had a meeting,” Usagi said quietly, still looking at him from a distance. Mamoru looked even more surprised. “Usako, we told you the other day. Ami said she told you when she passed you in the hallway in school.”
 
Her eyes shifted suddenly and she narrowed them, frowning. Mamoru turned around quickly, and took a few steps back. Luna jumped in front of the two humans, and growled as a man mysteriously appeared, waves fluctuating around him. The three gasped when they saw the man's features, and he grinned evilly at them.
 
“Jadeite…”
 
Earth's Moon, Moon Kingdom - May 17, 976, Silver Millennium
 
Princess Serenity rubbed her eyes as she sat down on her bed in exhaustion. Surprisingly enough, she had the exact same hairstyle as Usagi did, and the exact same shade colour of eyes. Raising her hand, Serenity ran it through her bangs, passing absently over her golden crescent moon on her forehead. The moon glimmered slightly from her touch before settling once again. As every day before, Serenity was required to attend her teachings of etiquette and general knowledge, board meetings in order to see how her mother spoke and to understand the current situation regarding the Moon Kingdom, and training with her mother to relinquish the ginzuishou's complete power. While she did enjoy a few lessons here and there, Serenity was thankful the day was almost over. After her nightly walk with Queen Selenity, she would retire for the night.
 
Laying back, she closed her eyes slowly, frowning when she thought of what she needed to talk about to her mother. It was all and well that she could have time off to do nothing, but Serenity wished she could be more of some help to the Royal Guard rather than just a royal blob. Her eyes flashed open quickly as flashing red lights began to rotate through her room and the emergency alarms sounded off warning of an attack. Serenity had risen just as three guards came rushing in bearing arms. Her eyes narrowed as one soldier ran up to her asking for her to follow them to safety. Seeing no other alternative, she nodded and began to follow the two soldiers ahead of her out the door. The soldier at her rear made a sudden noise, as if he were being choked.
 
Princess Serenity turned around quickly and was stunned to see an eight-legged creature staring at her with sixteen eyes. Letting out a shriek, the two soldiers in front of her pushed her out of harm's way. Princess Serenity, eyes wide with fear and disbelief, fell back to the wall opposite her room, frozen. The two soldiers screamed in pain when the creature soaked them in its murderous acid, burning them slowly. Serenity looked down, hardly able to breathe. Only seconds later, she looked up and saw the creature right in her face, getting ready to create another kill. Opening her mouth to emit a scream, she found herself without her voice. A tentacle began to wrap around her head, and as the creature's head got closer and closer, a far off battle cry sounded down the hall.
 
“MARS FIRE SOUL!”
 
A large ball of flame enclosed around the monster and Serenity felt herself being dragged away. Their steps echoed as the two ran down the hallway. Princess Serenity gritted her teeth.
 
“Sailormars, what is going on!” Serenity demanded.
 
The young senshi frowned back at her as they ran. Seeing a darkened space, she pushed the princess ahead of her. Serenity turned back in alarm. “Please, Sailormars! Tell me what's going on! Is mother all right? Please!”
 
Sailormars raised a finger to her lips and checked in the hall for danger. Turning back to the princess, she said softly, “Your mother is out fighting at the moment.”
 
When Serenity gasped in concern, Sailormars again calmed her. “I'm not quite sure how she is faring, but I'm sure she is just fine. Queen Selenity-sama can take care of herself. However, I want you to stay here, where it's safe. Do you understand?”
 
Princess Serenity nodded slowly, trembling slightly with fear and concern for her friend and guardian. Sailormars backed out of the little corridor, and waved as she ran down the hall. Serenity sighed, and slid down to a sitting position. For five minutes, the young royal sat thinking, before she frowned, her mind set. Standing up, Serenity walked across the hall and looked out a window. She frowned deeply when she saw the senshi fighting when a sudden noise made her turn around. The eight-legged creature, still burning, ran full-throttle at her, sending them flying through the large window. Serenity screamed, as she felt the acid begin to burn into her skin and the flames lick at her. Her golden-crescent moon shined and shredded the monster to dust particles. The princess lost consciousness soon after during her fall to the ground.
 
Present Millennium
 
Usagi did a back flip and ducked, missing Jadeite's fist by barely an inch. Jadeite snarled, bringing his foot up and connecting with her abdomen. Usagi felt the pain as she went sliding back across the ground before she fully registered what had happened to her. Laying down flat on the ground, Usagi gritted her teeth. I have to turn in to Sailormoon, she thought as she struggled to get up. If I don't, we're doomed! Mamoru came sliding to a halt beside her, in much of the same condition. His eyes were squinted shut as he struggled to push himself up. Usagi gritted harder and dug her fingers into the dirt.
 
Looking at her watch, she relaxed slightly before coming back to a full-alert when she heard Luna's cry of pain. Her resolve strengthened, Usagi pushed herself up as quickly as she could, holding out a hand to Mamoru so he could have assistance. Mamoru pulled himself up, his eyes showing anger in their depths. Mamoru placed an arm in front of Usagi, to her surprise and Jadeite's. Mamoru glared, narrowing his eyes to near slits. “Jadeite!”
 
Jadeite frowned, standing tall to his full height. Mamoru clenched his fists. “What are you after? How are you alive? What do you want from us?”
 
The blonde man chuckled, his evil laughter floating around them. Usagi and Mamoru prepared for another attack, but Jadeite just grinned and laughed maniacally. Usagi, a drop of sweat running down her cheek, pressed the all-call alert on her watch, her hands trembling. Jadeite raised his hands to the sky before clenching them and letting them fall to his sides. “I want vengeance.”
 
The two, disturbed, stared at him. Mamoru asked, “Vengeance…?”
 
“I want to avenge the entire NegaVerse! Queen Beryl-sama did me a great favour by encasing me in that crystal! I have only grown in strength, and I am now powerful enough to beat you and your two little friends, Tsukino Usagi!”
 
Mamoru's eyes widened. He didn't believe Jadeite had that much power, but there was something wrong. “Two friends?”
 
Jadeite scowled at Mamoru. “Out of my way, human!”
 
“Hold it!”
 
Usagi clutched the broach on her shirt, her eyes sparkling mysteriously. “You've been misinformed, Jadeite! Times have changed, and so have we! Let me ask you…”
 
Whispering the words to begin her transformation, she smiled as a white light raced around her, her hair whipping around her. Her eyes took on a bright blue as they studied Jadeite. The mentioned man glared at her, waiting for her to continue. The white light increased in power and Usagi held up the broach. “Have you any idea who the princess we were searching for was?”
 
Jadeite's eyes widened and he glared hard at Usagi. “You found her? Then, tell me, tell me! Who was it, you fool!”
 
Her transformation completed with a golden piercing light shining through the area. Instead of her broach, she now held her moon tier. Spinning it to a defensive position, Eternalsailormoon grinned.
 
“Me.”
 
Silver Millennium
 
Sailormercury frowned worriedly at the princess, and Sailorvenus narrowed her eyes slightly in same concern. Princess Serenity struggled to come to a conscious state, and forced her eyes open. Sailormercury and Venus looked down at the princess in relief. Princess Serenity rubbed her forehead where her crescent moon was before forcing herself to stand. Sailorvenus stood as well, eager to help now that she was sure her friend was all right. Serenity frowned at her. “Where is my mother, Sailorvenus?”
 
Sailorvenus frowned, nodding slightly. “Still fighting. Queen Selenity-sama isn't letting anyone come this way.”
 
Sailormercury nodded in agreement. “Yes, but she's tiring herself out faster and faster.”
 
“Why aren't you helping her!”
 
The two senshi stared at their princess, completely bewildered. Sailorvenus gently took the princess by her shoulder. “Our duty is to protect you! What kind of question is that anyway?”
 
Serenity shrugged off her hand, annoyed. “Yes, well, there won't be a `me' to protect if mother dies!”
 
Running toward the battle scene, she ignored her friend's cries. Serenity saw her mother raise her crescent moon wand and screamed for the latter to stop. Queen Selenity, shaken from her daughter's cry, turned around slightly to see the princess running towards her. Queen Selenity felt the icy grip of fear take her heart, and it began to beat harder. Queen Selenity's violet-blue eyes hardened and she turned to Serenity fully. “No! Don't come this way! Go back, Serenity!”
 
Serenity slid to a halt, her adrenaline pumping. “Please, mother! Don't say those words! You'll die!”
 
Queen Selenity felt the grip tighten and looked away towards the oncoming army. “What I do is of my own concern! Now do as I say! Leave me be, Serenity!”
 
Serenity felt hands on her arms, and she struggled to get closer to her mother. “No, mother!”
 
Queen Selenity lifted the moon wand. “COSMIC MOON POWER!”
 
Serenity cried out. “MOTHER!”
 
Present Millennium
 
Sailorvenus blocked blows from the ex-general Kunzite, and grimaced. Her attacks weren't going through, and the ex-general was beginning to get confident - too confident. She closed her eyes, gritting her teeth hard. Kunzite walked towards her, grinning maliciously. Sailorvenus's sky-blue eyes clouded with anger and she jumped into action. I'll use one of my more simpler attacks, she thought.
 
“VENUS LOVE ME CHAIN!”
 
Kunzite dodged it easily and came at her. Off-guard, Sailorvenus tried to block his attack, but he switched fists and did a left uppercut, throwing her a good distance away. Pushing herself up, she wiped the blood away from her mouth with the back of her gloved hand. Sailorneptune slid behind her, making a slight noise of annoyance. Sailorvenus looked at her with surprise, and Sailorneptune gave her a tired, but reassuring smile. “You doing okay, Sailorvenus?”
 
Sailorvenus stood up alongside Neptune, frowning. Their backs towards each other, Sailorvenus shook her head adamantly. “I don't understand, Neptune! These generals - they should be dead! I know Kunzite and Zoicite died for a fact, and I'm sure Nephrite did too, but I'm not too hot on the idea that Jadeite's been alive all this time. It's driving me insane!”
 
Sailorneptune frowned as well, putting her hands up in a defensive position. “Don't let your anger cloud your judgment,” she said turning to a fallen Eternalsailormoon. To Eternalsailormoon, she shouted, “This is it! Get ready, Sailormoon!”
 
Eternalsailormoon met her eyes and nodded slowly. Her fuku was in ruins, and she herself was barely managing. All the other senshi and Tuxedo Kamen were down besides Sailormoon, Venus, and Neptune, and they were barely alive themselves. Sailormoon readied her moon tier, sweat sliding down her face as she glared at the four generals. Turning quickly to look at Sailorvenus and Neptune, she shouted, “Now, Neptune!”
 
“NEPTUNE DEEP SUBMERGE!”
 
Jadeite let a smirk float upon his face before he swirled around and kicked the attack back to its owner. Sailorneptune, too weak to dodge, was hit head-on. She was thrown back into a tree, and slid to the ground slowly, unconscious. Eternalsailormoon looked at Sailorneptune, her eyes wide and white as she stared at her fallen comrade and friend. Sailorvenus, seeing red, yelled out her grief. Kunzite turned towards her, frowning. “You seem upset, Sailorvenus. Would you like me to help you through these hard times?”
 
The other generals chuckled a little at his words, and Sailorvenus felt pure hatred race through her veins. Stepping forward to the plate, Sailorvenus set her bat in ready motion.
 
“VENUS LOVE AND BEAUTY SHOCK!”
 
Eternalsailormoon had to shield her eyes when Kunzite responded with an attack of his own, and when she looked again, Sailorvenus was down. Shock hit her body hard, and two tears ran down her cheeks. Kunzite turned around and was about to give her the same treatment when he suddenly stopped and stared at her, along with the other ex-generals. Rays of light began to appear from the crescent moon on Eternalsailormoon's forehead. “You murderers,” she whispered, turning to glare at them with darkened eyes. Holding up her moon tier, she ran towards Kunzite, tears flying away from her face and turning into crystalline drops. “I'll kill you! COSMIC MOON POWER!”
 
A large explosion sounded as hers and Kunzite's attacks hit one another.
 
Silver Millennium
 
Queen Selenity opened her eyes, and felt a wave a pain go through her body. Seeing the moon wand, Queen Selenity reached for it. A boot stomped down hard on her hand, stopping her. She gritted her teeth and clenched her other fist from the pain. Looking up, she saw a smirking Nephrite looking down at her. “Now, now, Your Majesty…” sneered the general. “We wouldn't want you overexerting yourself, now would we?”
 
He bent down and pulled her head back by her hair. Looking at her grimacing face, he laughed. “About time you look up to me!”
 
He let her go, chuckling. Queen Selenity glared down at the ground before pushing herself up slowly. “I won't let you win, Nephrite…”
 
Meeting his surprised eyes with her own angered ones, she straightened her shoulders and glared at him fully. Calling the wand to her hand, she closed her eyes in concentration. “I have people I love, Nephrite, and you're hurting them. Please, if not for me, then please go away for them.”
 
He laughed. “Ha! You wish!”
 
He punched her hard in the stomach, and she sank back down to her knees. Nephrite took the moon wand and was about to kick the fallen queen aside when a white blur stopped him. Nephrite took a step back, surprised as Princess Serenity shielded her mother, her arms open wide. Serenity's crescent moon glowed brightly, and Nephrite shielded himself from the bright light. Pain ran through his hand and he opened his eyes to see the princess now had the moon wand.
 
She looked down at the moon wand, whispering, “I'll protect my mother in any way possible.”
 
Queen Selenity looked up at her daughter with fear in her widened eyes. “Serenity, no… Don't! You can't!”
 
Serenity smiled, and quoted, “ `What I do is of my own concern,' isn't that right, mother?”
 
Queen Selenity's sharp intake of a breath made Serenity's smile a little bigger. If she survived this, her mother would probably punish her for the disrespect. Closing her eyes, she chuckled and then looked at the angered general. “I will do all I can to make sure you don't hurt anyone else!”
 
Raising the moon wand herself, she shouted, “COSMIC MOON POWER!”
 
Soon after she said those words, Serenity felt her spirit begin to drift from her body, and she smiled, trying to memorize her mother's face as she left. She blinked a few times as she felt her spirit tugged elsewhere, and looked in amazement at all the swirling lights as she drifted through time and space. I wonder where I'll go, thought Serenity. She saw a green and blue planet and frowned. “What, Earth? What's going on?”
 
Present Millennium
 
Usagi felt her consciousness floating and she struggled to open her eyes. She felt herself being pulled elsewhere, and lights swirled around her. I'm dead, she realized, and she smiled softly. I must be heading to another plane. How…lovely, I guess.
 
She laughed at herself before seeing a type of kingdom on a white spherical planet. She grinned, seeing her destination before certain parts of the kingdom began to look familiar. Her eyes opened wide. “Wait! This is…the Moon Kingdom! What's going on!”
 
* * *
 
The powers of the different time period clashed against the boundaries and intertwining wires of the Gates of Time, causing a large explosion to erupt and sent the two spirits, Usagi and Princess Serenity, soaring out of their own times and into the other's, forcing them to live that life. The past and future have now intertwined.
 
TBC -
 
All right. Prologue has been edited, and I think it runs much more smoothly than before. Thank you.
 
7:41 PM 10/17/01
Edited: 12/23/2004 9:19:05 PM