Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Pretty Soldiers ❯ Act 30 - mugen sept : In'you ( Chapter 30 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

       "…Guardian-sama, are you listening to a word I'm saying?"
       "Huh? I'm sorry-gomen nasai, Venus," she amended, mentally chastising herself for speaking the wrong language; again. "What were you saying?" she asked properly, looking down at the long-haired blonde leaning against her arm.
       Leaning back, the young girl pouted. For once, she and her fellow soldiers had dressed properly for the dance, her gown diaphanous and clinging, a soft gold in colour. It left very little to the imagination, but the soldier of Venus was never one to shirk an opportunity to show off. The guardian soldiers very rarely were given the chance - read: ordered by their Queen - to relax and toss off the uniform they wore like second skins.
       And Venus never let an opportunity slip to remark on her commander's choice in clothing, almost as predictable. Usually, it was the tailored blue shirt and pants tucked into shined black boots, the long black cape fastened with a crescent set over a blue moon showing her rank, her long copper hair braided back. Now, at the Queen's insistence, she wore the dress equivalent, white instead of blue, trimmed in gold instead of black, her hair left long and free and a growing nuisance.
       Even though she had been the Crystal Guardian of the kingdom for over half a century - her mind ached to think about it, she didn't feel any older or wiser - most of the planetary sovereigns thought her less than important because she was a woman and she was Earth-born. Only the sailor soldiers gained respect despite being young girls, because they wielded the power of planets; she, though she had remarkable power herself, was not one of them.
       The king of Mercury passed by, reminding her of it with his slight, superior sneer.
       "I sa-aid, Guardian-sama, that my sister is going to make herself sick if she eats anymore of those cakes!" Venus repeated, looking towards a girl at the long tables where desserts and sweets were piled for nibbling along with what she doggedly insisted on calling 'champagne.' Slightly more round and curved than her older sister, the princess was indeed popping another small cake into her mouth, tossing back her golden hair. "I really should tell my mother. If she keeps this up, no one will want to take her to bed, let alone bind!"
       "Your sister will be fine, Venus. I haven't seen one of you yet that hasn't lured some poor, unsuspecting male or female to your silken sheets." The tall red-head snagged a passing glass of steaming blue liquid, fifty years of practice allowing her to drink without worrying it was going to taste unusual or burn a hole in her belly. She wasn't surprised in the least, either, when Venus looked more pleased at her remark than chastised. "Besides, the monarchy is not entirely your concern, just the kingdom. It's so quiet you'll most likely be wringing your hands over the same problems with your niece or nephew's son."
       The long-haired blonde gestured smoothly, brushing back her own golden mane, teased for the occasion into a froth of curls. As usually, half of the males in their vicinity faltered in whatever they were doing to watch. "Ha! And most likely being told exactly the same thing by you as well. Besides…" and here, she leaned in further, pressing her body against her commander's arm in a frankly lecherous example, "perhaps I'll be remarking on your worries about your niece or nephew's son, ne? That is, if you stop being such a proper gentle lady. I almost worry everything will wither away before you even try!"
       Snorting, the Crystal Guardian took another sip of 'champagne.' "I assure you, Venus, my parts are all in working order and tested regularly. No worries there. Just because I'm not throwing myself at every penis with legs-"
       "And why not? Surely you have enough handsome faces in your ranks? What about that excellent knight, the swordsman you whipped just the other day?"
       "I think he's probably too embarrassed at the moment."
       "Well, he should have swung instead of parried, now shouldn't he?" Venus bandied, taking her own glass of blue liquid from the passing tray. Holding the delicate stem between two fingers, she sighed as she looked out over the dance floor and the bodies circling to the orchestra - playing instruments the tall red-head equated to the Star Wars Mos Eisely cantina musicians, because they looked nothing like what she knew in the 20th century - and remarked, "Look at our princess. She looks as though she's swallowed something terrible, poor dear."
       And the odango-haired blonde did have a pained grimace as she swung past, her hands firm in the grip of a lesser prince from one of the smaller star colonies. Everyone with a pedigree was eager to woo the future Queen of the Moon, Her Royal Liege of the Silver Millennium, down to a recently crowned prince who won the throne by a lottery. This was in fact the fifth dance in her honour after she'd been shown to society as a proper, marriageable woman, and all of her guardians were aching worse than after battle.
       Everything began turning watercolour thin around the edges, voices stretching thin into an unrecognizable noise; she watched it all dissolve. She remembered that day only because it had been one of the last dances before Beryl had arrived, seeking blood; and she missed that life so terribly sometimes it hurt. It had been harder, demanding a poise and strength she had not previously even know she could have, but quite more carefree and happy. Even if she had missed caffeinated soda and rock music and the basic electronic necessities the 20th century took for granted, she had been in Paradise.
       Now, it was all memories and dreams she had, too many lifetimes she had lost and couldn't get back. Questions, too, that she had never been given an answer to, so much she could despise Serenity for not telling her when she had those last minutes to share everything. So much.
       Her head hurt with a stabbing pain, and she cracked her eyes to see shadows.
       She was also cold, not entirely unusual, but this was a particular shade of freezing, and she opened her eyes further to see sharp rock above her head, no doubt matching the floor she was lying on. Negotiating painfully, she rolled onto her side, sitting up stiffly to see the very same Grecian ruins Venus had discovered earlier, though she saw them through a blurry mist of gray. No doubt Kaoli had transported her here and enclosed her in some sort of magical prison, since any intelligent enemy would make sure of her confinement.
       And by the way it seemed to breathe, she was positive; so she held back on touching it, and instead looked around for her captor. She didn't have to look far, as she spotted the red-haired woman standing nearby, now clothed in what looked like a black Halloween witch's costume. Big collar, high-slitted skirt, silly boots, major cleavage; all she needed was the hat and black fingernails. Even had a staff in her hand, exactly like the one the witches had been carrying to cast their spells. But who was she? The girl, Cyprine, had obviously been the last of the Witches 5, sent off to capture or kill Uranus and Neptune. And this woman had commanded her to do so; perhaps she was one of the collective 'Death Busters,' others working towards the cause of the Witches 5, but not a witch.
        She seemed to be staring into a pool of water or a spotlight; Alex couldn't tell which, because of the slowly growing brightness that seemed to pour from it. Intense, it felt warm and safe, and filled the cavern with its brilliance, pushing back the shadows and cold. "Those three lights, feeding this radiance…!" Kaoli said, standing back and shielding her eyes. "Such a miraculous power!"
       The talismans were giving up their power, but not calling forth the god of ruin? Surely Kaoli would have been terrified if that were the case, but what else could…what would…
       If not the god of ruin, then…
       "Sailor Moon!"


      Dimly, Hotaru realized she was grinning.
       But it wasn't by choice.
        Through the window she could see the golden light as it exploded out of the windows of the Ten'nou complex's eleventh floor. It shone like a beacon, its multiple beams hurting her eyes as it cleansed the sky of the witch's spell, the evil hail melting as though caught within the summer sun. Such an enormous power, and she sensed that it was merely a fraction of the strength that the blonde soldier could ultimately wield.
       Hotaru couldn't understand why she continued smiling even though she herself felt cold, colder than her thin-blooded body always constantly remained. It was not a smile of happiness or joy, but of triumph; a teeth-baring, menacing grin. She had never done such a thing in her life, and was becoming distraught at the realization that she wasn't doing it still.
       Someone else was laughing with her lips, holding her arms wide as if to embrace the golden power, her amulet thumping solidly against her chest as it was released. "Master Pharaoh 90, feel this energy! The power of the soldier of the Moon, so beautiful, so very much like the light of our life!"
       And then, there was a voice, a terrible, terrible echo that terrified Hotaru; an intruder, and in her room? No; it was in her head. [I feel it, my last and lonely soul. My Ninth. Such blessed strength, and wondrous light! Soon, it will be time, and everything will converge in this sacred land. No longer will I wander through cold space.]
       "Hai, Master. My plan will commence soon, and I will have that wonderful power to present to you. And I will awaken! I will awaken, and complete the magic!" Hotaru-not-Hotaru said, watching as the golden light disappeared.
       It was then that she realized that she was seeing a slightly different view than normal; her height, though tall for her age, was still short enough to place her focus just above the windowsill. Now, she was seeing the Ten'nou tower from almost halfway up the glass. But why was she suddenly so high? Had she spontaneously grown several centimetres? She fought desperately to look down, unable to do such a simple movement, unable to even blink under her own power, and then, finally, she did.
       She had indeed grown, but only her legs had lengthened, and now she felt the glaring pain of her bones and muscles and skin stretching unreasonably, growing in spite of the metal pins and joints that held her together. She couldn't scream; she couldn't move; she was locked within her own traitorous body, growing obscenely.
       "My plan was always this simple."
       Her voice, dear kami-sama, her own voice.
       Inside of her own mind, locked as though a prisoner, Hotaru felt two strong hands seize her by the throat from behind her mental image, squeezing. She choked, scratching at the fingers that pressed into her windpipe, twisting in her assailant's grip.
       "You were unnecessary."
       She was rolled like dough between those strong hands, presumably to see the face of her attacker - her killer, as she felt her lungs contract sharply for a breath. As it was, there was no more air left for her to finally scream, seeing that malicious smile. So very familiar.
       "But the body still has its uses. Tomoe Hotaru. Sayonara."


      "Yes, my strength can be enough, with friendship and love!" the odango-haired blonde whispered, watching the light as it grew strong between her fingers, a sympathetic glow matching the crescent sigil on her forehead. Above the shaking, reaching hands of the three outer planet soldiers, the talismans were still singing with power, resonating as they gave up that strength to the fourth object now visible in their princess's hands.
       It was even more brilliant in real life than on the screen, a miniature sun; golden and perfect, it seemed almost too wonderful to exist. "Such a miraculous power!" Mars gasped, unconsciously repeating Kaoli's words.
       "Sailor Moon's called it forth, believing in our friendship; what are we doing, fighting like this?" Jupiter looked around, and everyone did the same; with the golden light, the evil power of the two - or two as one - witches had dissipated, leaving their minds clear again.
       "Sou yo, as sailor soldiers, we should be united; that is always the clearest mission! As friends and allies, we should be strong!" Venus declared, standing tall, feeling completely restored.
       The tall sandy-blonde took the handle of her sword, looking completely disbelieving. At her side, the aqua-haired beauty seemed equally as surprised as she held her mirror, looking from its aqueous glow to the golden cup in Sailor Moon's hands. And the dusky-skinned soldier, holding the staff portion of her rod in one hand, balancing the top heart and jewel in her other, seemed just as startled. "Our talismans, resonating like this…! But, not calling forth the god of ruin?" she questioned, clearly unsure on how to react. Obviously, whatever she had been given as memory of her previous life as Pluto did not include this possibility; or, she could not recall it.
       Behind them all, in the destroyed doorway, the three felines skidded to a halt, panting as though they'd run a marathon. When the group had transformed and run for the elevator (or in Venus's case, leapt for the first balcony), the cats had stayed behind, not exactly useful in a fight of such magnitude. Most likely, they'd have been trampled on, and the magical hail did nothing more than wet their fur. But at the first beam of golden light, a sure sign something either miraculous or terrible had happened, they had fled for the elevator.
       It had not been easy balancing on each other - Luna had insisted on standing on Artemis, and Diana of course on top to push the buttons - but they made it. "What…what happened…?" Luna panted, looking through Tuxedo Kamen's legs.
       "Sailor Moon…she's called forth the -"
       "Sacred Chalice!" the dark-haired prince and Artemis echoed, hardly noticing.
       The two witches were silent, staring in concern at the golden light, and then each other. Sailor Moon's power indeed resembled the light of the Taioron Crystal, at least from what they had sensed when delivering Hotaru's amulet to Kaoli; its lingering energy was still heady. For the first time since they had accepted their new lives, they were afraid.
       Trusting in their princess, the four guardian soldiers held out their hands, giving her their power; multi-coloured lights danced into the cup, joining the power of the talismans and the power of her prince and daughter. "Power, it's so warm and beautiful," she sighed, holding the cup aloft. "Everyone's love and trust. I know I can do this! I have to do this!"
       She imagined the power flowing through her, changing her, bringing her to a higher level; like the girls on television with their pretty uniforms and transformations, she could see herself doing the same. An image in white and gold, a sailor soldier. This was her higher power.
       The cup tipped back, its lid vanishing.
       Over the lip spilled golden light, power falling down onto her lips.
       "Crisis!"
       She drank of it like water, knowing she didn't need the words at all. But she said them, called them out to remind herself that she was the princess, but now, in this time, also a sailor soldier. This was merely a new level.
       "Make Up!"
       The effect was stunning.
       Her uniform, and its short skirt of blue and ribbons of red, bled out. The back bow lengthened into a multi-tiered white ribbon with a large tie, falling loose around her legs like the folds of her gown. Her waistband gained a second golden band above the first, both meeting at the junction with a replica of her heart-shaped brooch as a clasp. The kerchief was now a melting layer of colours: green, blue, yellow, purple. Her skirt had the same mix, though it was white down to perhaps the last few inches, where the colour finally bled. On her arms, her shoulder pads had been replaced by translucent shells, like wings; her boots now bore the crescent at their highest point.
       She looked, in effect, like their princess in the guise of a sailor soldier; regal and snow white and powerful.
       "Just like mama told me," Chibi Moon whispered behind a hand, unable to share her secrets of the future out loud. "She told me that Sailor Moon was not the final level, that there was a stronger soldier; Super Sailor Moon!"
       "Super Sailor Moon?" The dark-haired prince looked down at her, then at his shining princess in her flowing ribbons. "Is that her? Stronger and brilliant…Super Sailor Moon?" And so very beautiful his heart ached.
       Cyprine and Ptilol definitely looked worried now. "Is this our fate? The last of the Witches 5?" Cyprine muttered, taking a step back onto the balcony.
       "But surely not! Perhaps, the power of our crystal is stronger," Ptilol countered, lifting her staff.
       "Yes, perhaps," Cyprine agreed, raising her staff to cross her twin's. Their sigils glowed at the touch, sparking with red and blue.
       Super Sailor Moon turned towards them, arms lowering as the cup dissolved. She seemed only mildly perplexed by their actions, even as their fingers moved to make the signs, lips frantic in whispering the words. In her hand, the heart moon rod appeared as though it had been there all along, and she lifted it up. "Iie."
       The two witches hesitated at the very last, startled to see the odango-haired blonde swing her arm around and aim as she leapt forward, quick as a deer, yelling, "Rainbow Moon Heart Ache!"
       It was a vicious wind that tore through them, ripping them asunder and scattering the remains; colourful, but obviously more dangerous and powerful than Sailor Moon's previous attack. Neither witch was capable of drawing the breath to scream before they were killed, and it happened so fast that their staffs, thrown from their hands, went spinning like straw in a tornado through the opposite walls of the condo before disintegrating.
       Everyone was silent, stunned in various measure.
       Now that they had accomplished their task, the talismans had landed back in the hands of their soldiers, again resonating lightly with power. But still, the god of ruin did not appear, wielding the wicked glaive to destroy the world, and they seemed clearly unsure as to what this vision meant. Sailor Moon had called forth a cup capable of drawing on the power of the talismans, and changed into Super Sailor Moon, a beautiful and stronger soldier. "Perhaps, this is a sign. Perhaps we're meant to share our mission after all," Neptune remarked quietly, staring into the clear glass of her mirror.
       "But with such innocents? Would that be wise?" Uranus argued just as softly, quite aware and unconcerned with the fact that the four guardian soldiers she spoke of were right behind her. And listening to every word with rapt attention.
       "Can we argue with such a vision? Sailor Moon wielded the power of our talismans. Possibly, this was meant to be; I feel it is indeed this way." Pluto re-attached her staff and talisman with a soft click, standing up. "That such power could be used in this manner…I didn't believe it to be possible. Only with the key were our talismans supposed to give up this sort of energy."
       Mercury said, behind her, "And then, the god of ruin would awaken. But this changes things, doesn't it? We can be allies in the mission."
       "Of course we can!" Venus cheered, smiling widely. "This proves it! We're all sailor soldiers, fighting for the same cause. No matter what, we all want the same goals. Ne, Super Sailor Moon?"
       The odango-haired blonde looked around from where she'd been crouching, allowing Luna to apparently investigate her with a wet nose and worried twitch of whiskers. She picked up the black cat, turning to smile sweetly at the assembled soldiers. "Hai. I wanted to prove the strength of our friendship, not only as sailor soldiers, but as people on the street, living our lives! Haruka-san, Michiru-san, surely you can agree with me, even if we've only just met so recently. So I prayed for your help, and all of you lent me power and love to fill the Sacred Chalice."
       "The Sacred Chalice? Is that what the cup you held is called?"
       "Hai-" Super Sailor Moon clutched Luna unnecessarily tight as the transformation reversed unexpectedly, leaving only simple Sailor Moon in her normal skirt of blue and red ribbon standing there, looking winded. Obviously, it was not much easier to let go of the power than it was to receive it. "But I called it forth too soon; it's to be used for something much grander."
       Luna, partially muffled by the arms of her owner, said, "How do you know? You've only just called it forth!"
       "Perhaps, it's given her the memory of its previous incantation," Artemis suggested from below.
       The three outer planet soldiers exchanged wary looks, glancing from the powered-down Moon to their resonating talismans, slightly brighter to show that they had gained their power back, but no closer to calling forth the god of ruin. "Does it matter that it was called forth too quickly?" Neptune finally queried. "You called it forth despite this. Perhaps then, we are truly meant to be allies, and you deserve to know of our lasting mission."
       Despite the ruin of the condo, broken glass and furniture askew everywhere, everyone found a place to sit, weary after the fight. It was no surprise that they seemed to be broken into three groups; the four guardians, the three outer planet guardian soldiers, and their prince, princess, and daughter somewhere in the neutral middle holding hands with the cats at their feet. "I hope we're not going to pay for this mess," Venus suddenly giggled nervously.
       "You couldn't afford it," Uranus flipped back smoothly. "With the exorbitant rent, I doubt my patron would even want to allow me to stay here after this."
       Mars cleared her throat impatiently.
       Neptune nodded in agreement, holding out her mirror as if she expected everyone to be able to look into it. But as she began to speak, an image appeared large above the silvered glass, like a projection from a camera onto a screen, showing empty space and millions of stars. At the bottom edge was solid ground, presumably, but so frozen it was literally like seeing the ocean iced over, paused in the act of lapping waves. "I can remember loneliness on the cold moon of my planet. Seeing the destruction wrought so very long ago upon Neptune's surface. Then, I was not allowed company; I was a solitary guardian, a line of defense grown centuries old."
       And they saw what the former Neptune had seen; a planet destroyed, fraught with storms and geological morass, spun by dark rings. The white swirl of the Great Dark Spot was familiar from textbooks, though it was no doubt in its infancy within the vision. "Everything was cold and lonely, but I was proud of my duty. I protected the beautiful Silver Millennium from afar, an estranged partner to the lone soldier of Uranus, who fought as I did. It was our mission."
       "But that's Triton!" the blue-haired genius gasped, "the coldest temperature measured in our solar system is of its surface! How could you have survived?"
       "I learned, in several centuries, how to survive," Neptune said, looking half-irritated at the interruption, half-pleased with Mercury's discovery. "There were ways. My planet gave me the power to survive without food, like a ghost, to shrug off the cold and the climate. I was the focus, beyond human needs."
       Uranus slowly nodded, as though the memory of that time was only now coming to her; and perhaps it was. All of their previous lives were as fragile as spun sugar in their minds, only coming up to grant them a vision or a tantalizing picture when it felt like it. "Hai; and I too on Oberon was the ghost, watching my fallen planet spin wrong above my head. It was alive, but did not live, giving me power but keeping none for itself. Everyone was dead."
       The image turned, and they could see, distant, the planet of Uranus on its side as its soldier described, its rings barely visible. It looked just as cold and dead as Neptune, the colour of a corpse's lips, and they could only imagine what it once had been at the height of its kingdom. "The memories are vague, but telling; we had both taken the mantle of soldier just as our predecessors died in protecting our planets. Awakening to our powers in time to drive the enemy back and ultimately destroy them, we saved the Silver Millennium from invasion, but not our homes; our kingdoms were gone. Our planets ruined. We alone survived."
       "Solitary, we continued to defend the beautiful Queen and her shining kingdom," Uranus smoothly inserted, taking the conversation from her partner. "I wielded the Space Sword talisman, cutting down my enemies with a single blow."
       "I held the Deep-Aqua Mirror talisman, revealing my enemies' weaknesses and true nature for me to exploit and destroy," Neptune said.
       "And I hid the Garnet Orb talisman within my rod, holding it at my side within space-time and safe from evil," Pluto finished. "They resonated so much like this only once before; pulling us forcibly together at the trigger, creating the key. We had no choice but to watch as the god came forth, finally."
        "When the Moon was destroyed," Jupiter murmured, hugging her arms.
       Sailor Moon remembered that last moment of her previous life, her blood leaking onto the marble and simultaneously filling her lungs; her crystal blue eyes filled with tears as she clutched at her prince's sleeve. Dying, she could have never imagined that she would be reborn as a silly girl on Earth, forced to remember that terrible suicide and go through the shock of death once more against Metallia. And again, and possibly again; as a sailor soldier, anything could happen. Was that why their talismans were resonating now? Was she going to die and trigger the key?
       She didn't want to die again. But she would be the sacrifice no matter what, because, as she looked furtively over at the pale yet determined faces of her friends, she knew she would rather be alone in death than see any of them die for her. She wasn't worth it, not in her mind; she thought too much of their happiness and joy to let them throw it away. When the time came, could she put herself in their place before they fell?
       Catching a storm-grey flash, she looked sidelong to see Uranus staring at her with a strangely intent gaze; when she realized it was being returned, she merely focused on Sailor Moon's eyes, as if looking for something within them. It was an echo of the stare Haruka had given her that night at the Dome, daring to come so close to her body and heat her skin by mere touch. The look that had sent her fleeing away, reminded simultaneously of her prince and a deeper, wilder craving to forget him and press closer.
       No doubt both Neptune and her Mamo-chan saw their exchange of eyes, and she lowered her own demurely, waiting for someone, anyone, to pick up the conversation. "Is that why the Moon is so…so…broken?" Chibi-Moon queried hesitantly, obviously feeling a bit outside of the loop; she had not lived on the gray satellite with them, was not a reborn citizen who had seen the magnificence of the kingdom in its day. All she had ever known was a crystal city and encroaching ice. "Mama and papa took me to visit on my birthday once…. it was so silent and sad and fallen down."
       "Hai," Neptune answered, watching her planet slowly revolve above the mirror. "It had been the touch of the glaive that brought all to ruin, rendering everything of use to any possible enemy useless, 'salting the earth so that naught could grow.'"
       "But surely Earth doesn't need salting!" Venus seemed to be unaware of how silly her statement was, said in utmost seriousness; she took a strong step forward, clenching her fists at her chest. "This is a happy planet, full of life! Surely you don't mean to call the god to destroy all of this!"
       "Do you truly think we would chose such an option?" Pluto asked. She had strength in her voice that her younger self had not; shouting could not have caused such a sudden silence. "This planet is where our Queen sent her loving child. On it one day will rise Crystal Tokyo. We have a duty to see that it lives to see that hour!"
       The aqua-haired beauty reached over, touching Pluto's hand where it gripped the rod. It was a gentle gesture, and one that accomplished more than a hug or words could do. The dusky-skinned soldier settled back, magenta eyes idling on a spot between Mars and Jupiter as Neptune remarked, "You think so little of us to believe we would call forth the god? If so, we couldn't truly blame you; but it's a worthless hatred. We could never accomplish such a thing. Only the most malicious magic could trigger the key prematurely."
       "We had always reasoned that our solitary confinement was because the talismans would trigger, no matter what, once they came close. But now we've realized that isn't the case. Surely it had been to prevent any from taking them at once, and calling the god," Uranus added, leaning back awkwardly against a scorched armchair and resting her arms on her thighs.
       Tuxedo Kamen finally said, "That's all well and good, but what does that mean now? Sailor Moon used their power to fill the Sacred Chalice, but called it too soon; and yet they continue resonating, ne? The god will still come, if our dreams are correct."
       Pluto's head lifted, and she looked immediately to the dark-haired prince. "Dreams? What dreams?"
       "We've all had them," Mercury explained, her fellow guardians nodding. "Terrible dreams, of destruction and ruin."
       "The god stands atop a ruined building, holding that evil blade," Mars continued, shaping it in the air with her pointer finger; the long staff, the curved scythe. "Telling us of the method. Telling us that she brings the Silence."
       Tugging anxiously at a strand of hair, Jupiter said, "The sea is high overhead in a tidal wave, ready to fall and obliterate the city. And I can't out run it, but I stop anyway to ask her why."
       "We all want to know," Venus whispered, shaking her head. "And she says that she was called forth by the talismans to lower her glaive, to lead the world into oblivion. But she can't say why; she's only a weapon."
       "'Certain situations were destined, but could be averted,'" Sailor Moon and Tuxedo Kamen, remembering those seemingly innocent words, murmured together. At their feet, Luna rubbed her flank against the odango-haired blonde's ankle, a gesture of comfort even if she couldn't entirely feel it through her boot. Chibi-Moon, who had banished the terrible dream from her memory by sheer youthful terror, lifted Diana and held her tight.
       Neptune looked at Uranus, who looked up at Pluto, who stared down at them both. Hesitating visibly, wondering just how much more they could tell them. "It could be prevented," Pluto said finally, slowly. "We could make sure that the god does not awaken."
       "Well, how? If it's possible, let's do it!" Jupiter said impulsively, her face determined. "We can't allow such destruction, not if we can stop it."
       The mirror's image changed, dissolving into another ringed planet, this one far more familiar with its orange stripes and thick rings. It revolved rapidly, circled by its many moons. "There was once chaos in the solar system," Neptune began, her eyes lowering to half-mast as one in a trance, her voice steady and even. Perhaps, it wasn't entirely her at all speaking, but someone else; a previous life; a stronger source. "Before Uranus and Neptune were destroyed, long, long ago…. Saturn was claimed by the enemy, and rendered useless. They had persuaded the god of ruin to lower her glaive within her own world, laying waste to healthy souls.
       "Perishing, the power was passed onto an off world survivor, the crown princess, who became the harbinger. Innocent though she was, and new to the power, she drove back the enemy and declared her planet a dead world; she desired nothing more than to sleep safely until she was truly needed. And so the talismans were wrought, the planet becoming a locked coffin to seal her within, forever sleeping and ageless until the pulled trigger."
       "Ano…" Jupiter raised her hand hesitantly. "But was there ever a soldier guarding the planet? What about her?"
       Uranus barked laughter.
       Pluto glanced over at the tall sandy-blonde, who fell silent; then, she said, "Isn't it so plainly obvious, Jupiter? The god of ruin is the soldier of Saturn, Sailor Saturn. The wielder of the Silence Glaive, taking all to nothing; pitiless, indifferent to all who die. But this time, we have a chance to stop her from ever awakening."
       "We were surprised to find that she had been reborn here, instead of taken to the dead planet," Neptune sighed, Saturn the planet slowly changing, reforming into a face of pale skin and amethyst eyes, so melancholy. "She was never to be properly living. All she has is to destroy. But somehow, her spirit came with us after the very last Silence, reborn within a human body, rotted by a vicious mechanical torture no one can cure."
       "She'll be free of her pain, soon," Uranus added, as the figure straightened, standing tall and translucent, holding the familiar weapon. A soldier's skirt of violet matched knee-high laced boots, ribbons of a blood red fluttering along with raven-dark hair in an unseen breeze. Perhaps a few years older, but undoubtedly…
       "Hotaru-chan!"
       "Masaka…Tomoe Hotaru-san!"
       "A sailor soldier, like us!?"
       The reactions were not entirely surprising, most of them of shock and horror. Chibi-Moon sounded disbelieving, even as she stared at the revolving image of Saturn spinning her glaive in what looked to be elementary offensive positions. Just as they faced each other, the blade was jabbed forward quickly, aimed right for the pink-haired child's head; that rather nicely summed up how she felt. "Hotaru-chan….iie.…"
       Uranus pounded her fist down on the arm of the chair, silencing everyone. "Don't forget that the girl was already taken by the enemy as a child! Tomoe-san and his devil's advocates corrupted her body long ago, warping her as their experiment. Killing her would be a blessing, it would free her spirit!"
       "Not someone so innocent!" Sailor Moon argued, holding out her hands in entreaty. "How can you denounce her so quickly? Hotaru has suffered so much-"
       "Precisely," Neptune said crisply, cutting her off. "Suffering under the hands of Tomoe-san and those who gave him the method to do so. No less a risk to us because of that, she is the reborn soldier of Saturn, and she must be stopped."
       The three were standing now, clearly meaning to leave and be done with the others. But quickly the four guardian soldiers fanned out, blocking an exit each; Sailor Moon stepped forward, staring at them with sorrow. "Uranus, Neptune, Pluto; why are you so quick to kill? Surely, we can prevent these tragedies without suffering. I believe that Hotaru-chan is strong enough to resist any evil."
       Pluto shook her head, looking at the odango-haired blonde with an obvious anger in her eyes. "And I remember how well your belief in resisting evil stopped the Death Phantom, when it was only the combined power of past and future that destroyed him completely! Was that not a death? Was it not in fact the only way to defeat him?" Her hand shook as it gripped the lavender rod, and even her two partners looked up at her, surprised. "I sacrificed my life out of loyalty and love, but that was not the final blow! Nothing less than death achieves our victory, Sailor Moon, Princess Serenity! That is the way of a sailor soldier!"
        "We can stop this eventual destruction now, with one death instead of millions. Sacrifice is sometimes necessary for the good of everyone. It breaks our hearts as well, but we chose this life of duty, and all it entailed." Neptune lifted her mirror, touching its silvered glass. "Can you show us the same devotion? Would you die again for our princess and her love?"
       "And would you protect your kingdom, as our future Queen?" Uranus asked the odango-haired blonde, meeting her eyes one more time. "A soldier's duty is sacrifice, but you are not truly a soldier. Still, we have the same tragedy."
       Tuxedo Kamen gripped his princess tightly by the shoulder, taking her hand as she offered it up to him again. "Even still, Hotaru is just a child! We have a duty to protect the innocent, not offer them up as another death!"
       "It doesn't matter. If there were another way…but saving the child would mean awakening the soldier within to heal her body and soul. All we can do is kill Tomoe Hotaru, and permanently seal away the spirit of Saturn by destroying our talismans. Then, the death of the enemies, and we will accomplish our mission. Without your help."
       Holding out her mirror, each of the three soldiers now touched it. Before anyone realized what was happening, they disappeared, a tiny spark of aqua light lifting up and flying away past Venus and out through the broken balcony windows.


      "Damn!" Kaolinite kicked over a pile of rubble next to her foot, turning another pile into squirming earthworms, which she immediately stomped. Feeling only slightly better, she spun around and advanced on her captive, who was sitting in her small prison with all the casual comfort of a pampered visitor. "Tell me what that was! That miraculous power…"
       She gestured madly towards the pool, where she'd lost her sight again once the Sacred Chalice had been opened and poured forth such ridiculous energy. But she had seen the cup, seen it gather strength from the three talismans; though it did not seem to be the harbinger that she feared, the possibility of the cup destroying the Master's plans was still high.
       Alex stared at her as though she'd lost her mind, patting her mouth in a yawn. "Sorry, I have no idea what you mean. I thought maybe your light bulb was burning out."
        "I heard you! You spoke the girl's name, Sailor Moon! Don't lie to me, or I'll-"
       "You'll what, bore me needlessly with death threats until I beg you to just get it over with? Just warn me ahead of time so I can get comfy; this stone floor is a bit drafty and may take me a while." As if to prove her point, the tall red-head flopped onto her side casually, curling into a ball with ankles crossed, pillowing her head on her arm as Kaolinite turned many shades of crimson pissed.
       The witch pointed her staff at her, snarling, "You seem to think yourself safe from my spells, but I assure you I can make you desire death quickly! After all, your body is of no use, merely your strong spirit!"
       Rolling back over, Alex stared slowly from the tip of the staff up its length, and at Kaolinite's furious, reddened face. The Magus had no more younger witches to order around, no one lower in their hierarchy for her to feel superior; Tomoe was rather on level with her, and their Ninth was even stronger, nearly to the level of the Master. It was not an especially good situation, as it rendered her close to useless and easily disposable. She needed information for the Master, the genuine article, to preserve her skin as it was; on her bones. "Who are you people, anyway?" she finally asked in return, entirely ignoring Kaolinite's original question.
       Pitiless, the staff lifted, and the barrier around Alex contracted around her. The pain was everywhere; her bones were liquefying, her skin was burning, her organs fought to escape. She heard screaming, and realized it was herself as she twisted against an unmovable object, pinned down into agony as surely as a butterfly. Without thinking she shoved up with her power, and flames spun into awareness, burning a hole straight through the barrier. But as soon as she collapsed back, letting go, it sealed back up again, though she was at least released from the pain.
       "What power was that? It had no significant energy, no magic; and yet, it was so very strong!" Kaolinite exclaimed, properly re-forming the barrier into a dome over Alex's head. "You possess no power like that of a sailor soldier, and yet, you broke my seal…"
       [Another, Magus?]
       "Hai, Mas-what do you mean, 'another,' in that way?" she demanded, staring through a doorway past them both, into a second room. The tall red-head watched her with a pained bemusement, though she was a bit worried about that unusual voice; if she could even call it that. Definitely didn't sound welcoming.
       [Before, underneath your nose, one of the sailor soldiers came here to our secret place. She resisted my feeding of her bright spirit, and fled away,] the voice spoke, definitely angry now. Not that Alex could blame it, Minako had a way of making even the kindest homeowner wish upon her some sort of vile curse. Though it didn't look like Venus had done any significant damage…definitely a pity. At least she'd found the way. [The soldier of Venus, she announced herself.]
       Kaolinite swung her staff around, and it passed through the barrier without a lick of resistance, coming to a stop once it lifted and held Alex's chin up at an uncomfortable angle. "The young little Senjin Kogeihei, ne? Yare yare, you went through so much trouble to gain access to our private school! Exactly what we had attempted to avoid." Lowering the staff slightly, she pulled it back and used it like a club to hit the tall red-head solidly across the cheek, turning away as she wobbled, but stayed upright. "Master, do you desire a replacement? For surely this one has just as brilliant a soul for your stomach."
       "I'll give him indigestion," Alex muttered, touching her split, bleeding lip and her swelling cheek. She looked around and up at her prison again, trying to decide what to do; all she could do was burn a hole through the shield, and hope for the best, which wasn't good enough. Kaolinite's mind was too alien for any sort of psychic trickery, even now broadcasting her anger and disgust in garbled language.
       Before she could try again, everything lifted up; the world spun; and she dropped, twisting to land properly to a rolling stop at the foot of the elongated seed statue. A glowing, pulsating statue, which she stepped away from as she clutched one of her heels in her hand. [Magus, this one has an unusual soul! Like that of the young boy you traveled to find, so unusual in its colour and strength.]
       "The boy from Ise?" Kaolinite asked as she stepped into the room, her staff spun once to cover the only exit in the same sort of barrier. "Hai; I remember, what you said. This one has the same?"
       [And it will nourish me as well.]
       The same power that had assaulted Venus poured forth, slamming into Alex before she could even gesture. Screaming again, she writhed as Pharaoh 90 touched her soul, trying to pull it free of her body as one would the entrails and useless bones of a fish. This was even beyond the red-haired witch's casual torture, which had surely been imaginary; this, on the other hand, was no joke. And she had to say, despite everything else ridiculous she'd gone through, no one had ever tried to steal her soul before.
       She lifted her hand, still holding the shoe by some miracle, and jerked again as her soul resisted. Pharaoh 90 was speaking in that strange language Kaolinite used in her thoughts, no doubt cursing her. The shoe was bright magenta and pink, glowing like a star, as she swung wildly and threw it towards the source of her pain.
       The ensuing explosion knocked Kaolinite off her feet, taking half of the statue with it. Alex dropped like a stone, hitting the floor hard enough for her head to snap back and crack as well; the entire room swam and spun as she lay there, gasping. There was no way she could properly escape, not with the way she felt, but she was willing to try, and she attempted to stand up. Didn't work very well, with one shoe - she kicked it up and miraculously caught it - and the beginnings of a killer headache and most likely concussion. "I can do this...I can…"
       Kaolinite blasted her from behind, and she fell back again, this time not getting up.


       Chibi-Usa watched the moon rise in the sky, and as she was effectively barricaded in, she had a lot of time to do so. It was a comfortable prison, Makoto's room and former guest room, with the beginnings of a jungle of hanging plants and potted, her cozy bed, and multiple cookbooks with worn pages that begged to be read simply out of her love for food. But she didn't; she stayed seated on the side of the bed, short legs dangling bare beneath the immense nightgown the tall brunette had loaned her, watching the moon. Thinking.
       After the three had disappeared from Haruka's condo, there had been a brief moment of chaos when everyone was at odds for what to do. Mars and Jupiter and Venus wanted to chase them down and stop them, assuming that they had gone directly to kill Hotaru and make good on their promise. Mercury, their prince and princess, and the cats wanted to check out every possibility first, before doing something so rash. Surely, they argued, if the three had known who Saturn was all this time, they would have killed her before; after such a battle, they had probably only fled to another safe place.
       Truthfully, Chibi-Moon had felt, at first, as though Jupiter and Venus and Mars were right. This was her only true friend that they had spoken so callously of killing, like some sickly little puppy that had no right to live and was purposely drowned. (A peculiar and disturbing ritual she had only recently learned about, and rather excellent in summing up the situation.) But that was at odds with her love for Puu, even if she wasn't truly Puu now, and the knowledge taught to her since birth that the sailor soldiers were not just her protectors, but her friends. It would be something akin to physical pain to actually fight them as enemies.
       Finally, Sailor Moon had put her foot down, and ordered them to cease and desist - not that she took any pleasure in superceding Venus's word in the least - and to go back to Alex's place, where the tall red-head was no doubt waiting for information. They had already contributed enough to the damage of the condo without causing more calamity in chasing the three down. And it was obvious to everyone that the odango-haired blonde needed rest; she looked shell-shocked and wounded by Pluto's words, clearly taking them to heart.
       "How dare Pluto say such a thing, anyway?" Mercury had demanded, clenching her fists. "What's she done that gives her the right to judge you, protecting this planet?"
       "But she's right, she's absolutely right," Sailor Moon had whimpered, hiding her face. "I killed the life force of Metallia. I destroyed the energy of Death Phantom. Koan, Berthier, Calaveras, Petz…. and then, Eudial, Viluy, Ptilol and Cyprine! People, all of them, and I discarded them to winds!"
       "You did what you had to, Sailor Moon," Luna said as gently as possible, only to glare as Mars commented astutely, "And so are Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto…"
       It was not a happy group that finally made it to the condo, de-transformed, dirty, and aching in many places, Usagi all but carried by her prince, and Chibi-Usa guarded on all sides so she wouldn't try and run for Hotaru. And once safe, they found another blow; Alex wasn't home, hadn't even returned at all by the looks of it. Everything was exactly the same, down to the bowl and fork Makoto had used that morning for breakfast and had set in the sink to soak. She was captured by the enemy, no doubt about it, which made their dilemma even worse.
       After eating a quick dinner of packaged ramen and curry - Makoto had nearly gone into conniptions, but after dropping nearly two pans and a huge cutting knife, she was banned from the kitchen for the night - they had argued again over what to do. But nothing really had changed in anyone's opinion, except that they now had to worry about rescuing their mentor as well.
       Minako described her escape from Pharaoh 90 and Tomoe in highly detailed synopsis, for once keeping it as truthful as possible and embellishing nothing. It didn't need it; the truth was frightening enough on its own. But they did rest slightly easier knowing that the creature was not yet on Earth, but still across the galaxy if not further, from what he - it - had told her. It was short lived once she added that they knew about the god of ruin and were planning to kill Pluto, Uranus, and Neptune before they could use the talismans to summon her. Apparently where they feared that Saturn would destroy their world and kill everyone, the Death Busters were afraid that Saturn was the weapon that could destroy them and their plans.
       Finally, after the hour grew later, calls made to parents so they could stay the night, Chibi-Usa attempted to sneak out by saying she was going to see if Alex was coming at the door. Fully dressed, shoes in hand, she had been caught by Mamoru, and led back into the living room. The heaviness of her eyes and the droop in her shoulders had prompted them to put her in Makoto's room, telling her to go to sleep, but she knew better. With the door locked and the balcony as well, she was effectively a prisoner.
       An angry prisoner.
       She knew that they were concerned for her well being, somewhat ironic with her being a soldier-in-training and in the midst of battle no matter what; but she was angry. Angry that she didn't have the strength to simply barge out and rescue Hotaru-chan, upset that she didn't have the authority to order them all to go with her. She was their princess, but Usagi and Mamoru were their Queen and King, and more importantly, her future parents. They especially were frantic about her being hurt.
       It sounded as though the argument was starting up again downstairs. She scowled; why was Usagi treating this like a democracy? She was their princess, she should have told them to jump, and they should've asked how high. Even as a sailor soldier, she had right of dominion over them all, something Chibi-Usa had witnessed time and time again during her childhood. Of course, being an actual crowned Queen of a populated kingdom was different from the glass throne and empty title she currently had pending as the Queen of the resurrected Silver Millennium.
       Nothing would be accomplished at this rate, and she, deep down, knew that Usagi was being far too kind in respect to Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto. Already they had demonstrated that they were willing to go the extra mile to win the battle, even hurting their fellow soldiers. And she honestly wouldn't expect them to do anything else but go directly to Hotaru's home - after all, it wasn't far - and wait for the opportune moment to kill her. They would assume that having Usagi and the others know about their plan meant that they had to follow through before anyone tried to stop them.
       Too bad they didn't know about the democratic committee currently raging downstairs. It could take all night for them to decide on a course of action - or inaction.
       Finally, she reached down into the huge nightgown to lift up a pendant she had been wearing around her neck lately, a thick pink plastic bead affair with a comical blue-eyed cat hanging round at the end. Taking it off, she tossed it up, and said, "Luna-P henge!" watching it pop in a puff of smoke and change back into the floating head everyone recognized. It ran a quick diagnostic check as she pulled off the nightgown, changing back into her elementary school clothes, hastily tying up her hair back into its conical buns. "Luna-P, door lock."
       She had been practicing with her floating toy for a few months now to unlock the front door of the Tsukino household, mostly out of curiosity, and just to drive Usagi mad. Ikuko-mama was usually out shopping whenever they arrived home, and Usagi had an unfortunate habit of forgetting her spare key, which made Luna-P's skills even more of a treasure.
       Of course, having an advanced piece of technology undo a simple bolt lock was like asking an advanced physics professor to add up two plus two, and the glass door was just as easy as the Tsukino door. Beeping merrily, it changed into an umbrella at her command, and she snapped it open as she slid the glass aside and tiptoed onto the balcony.
       Crawling up onto the railing, she set her foot into the curved handle of the umbrella, holding on tight to the rest, and jolted as a fresh gust of wind lifted her up and away into the city.


       Caribbean blue slid sideways as Uranus muttered, "I'm going to be ill soon if we don't finish this quickly."
       Patting her hand, Neptune merely nodded in agreement, looking back quickly towards the dimly lit bedroom. They had been waiting for hours for a sign that everyone was asleep or away, for the perfect opportunity. But as time went by, all of them were growing less sure that their plan really was the only way to stop Saturn; mostly, because it meant murder. No matter what they'd said in anger towards Sailor Moon and her guardians, they really did care that Tomoe Hotaru had to die, that the poor girl seemed to be cursed since childhood to suffer.
       Haruka and Michiru had watched her stumble through the corridors of Infinity since their arrival, feeling intensely sorry for her obvious problems and stigma; but she always had a smile, even if it was guarded and hesitant, whenever they greeted her. She was so terribly lonely, and they knew how that felt, knew how it could gnaw away at a person's spirit until despair either took them down, or made them crave survival against any odds. By the curve of her shoulders and the cast of her eyes, she was definitely despairing.
       And when they had discovered that Tomoe Hotaru was Sailor Saturn reincarnated somehow, impossibly, they had both felt a moment's despair themselves. Now it was intensifying the longer they waited, hiding in the shadows of the wall, watching her window and straining to hear any sound.
       "We've no choice," Pluto repeated for the third time that hour, "Saturn must be stopped. This is our only method." She seemed to be taking the thought of impending murder much easier considering that she had not personally known the girl, but there was still rigidity to her stance and a timbre in her voice that told them differently. Meiou Setsuna was not a killer. But this was circumstance.
       Shadows fell across the wall of the building, a very strange, mushroom-like shadow. Something flew by overhead, and as they looked up in unison, they saw a flash of pink and white as it fell forwards, tumbling as the wind disappeared. Two objects: one, larger, dropped into the row of hedges lining the wall beneath the window; the other drifted slowly, a large domed umbrella in alternating panels of pink and red. As it landed on the grass, they could make out a merry bunny's caricature on the top, dancing with an oversized cat's head. "What in the hell is that?" Uranus finally asked.
       "It looks like a children's umbrella," Neptune said after another moment, "caught by the wind and blown over the wall."
       Pluto's mouth opened and closed like a fish gasping for air; she recognized that silly umbrella, but she couldn't recall….spinning around and around as someone laughed…. "Small Lady!" she finally choked, as the child's head appeared out of the hedges, her pink hair full of leaves and small twigs.
       At Pluto's words, she turned around, grabbing the umbrella by the handle, and, snapping it shut and open again, cried, "Luna-P, flash!"
       The bright light that shone in their eyes was blinding, nearly painful, filling their entire vision with solid white. Stumbling, blind as bats, all they heard was her second cry of "Luna-P, ribbons!" and the jerk of ribbons winding tight around them to keep them helpless. Tossing aside the umbrella she raised her hand, yelling, "Moon Prism Power, Make Up!" and leapt up easily to grab the window ledge. "Gomen nasai, Puu, but Hotaru-chan deserves my protection; she's my friend like no one else."
       "Small Lady, you can't do this! Saturn cannot awaken!" Pluto pleaded, turning towards the vague blob of pink in her ruined vision. Bound back to back with Neptune and Uranus, who was cursing a blue streak, they were effectively hog tied for the moment, their hands tight at their sides. "The talismans are resonating even stronger, don't you realize what we have to do? We want to save this world!"
       "Gomen ne, Puu, but she's my friend, and I can't let her die! I'll never falter! I have to protect her innocent life!" the pink-haired child said, pulling herself up as she pushed the glass inward. "That's the mission of a sailor soldier!"
       Whatever the dusky-skinned soldier said in return was lost to the wind as Chibi-Moon tumbled inside, unable to see a thing after the bright moonlight outside and blinding flash made it difficult to adjust to the dimness of the room. She managed to at least land on her feet without knocking anything over, and she whispered, "Hotaru-chan? Hotaru-chan? Daijoubu; Chibi-Usa desu…"
       Crawling off to her left, she cracked her head on the bedside table, knocking over a glass and what sounded like a lamp; it was a lamp, verified after it fell and bounced off her arm. One of the touch-activated type, it turned on its lowest setting after brushing her skin, adding just enough light for her to finally make out details, squinting.
       She was next to Hotaru's bed, piled with thick blankets and expensive comforters. Only one other lamp in the room was on, strange considering how many sat on tables and shelves and the time of day, and she saw a crumpled black heap in the middle of the room by its dim light; "Hotaru-chan! Iie, Hotaru-chan!"
       Hopping rapidly onto her feet, she half-tripped over her boots as she threw herself forward to her friend's side. The raven-haired girl had fallen backwards onto her right side, hair askew as if she'd been thrown harshly and landed badly, her tights torn into shreds over her legs. Her fingers were curled into claws, as if she'd fought off an attacker, and when she didn't respond to Chibi-Moon's increasingly frantic begging, the pink-suited soldier wondered if she was too late. But if that were the case, why had Pluto begged her to stop?
       Was it possible she had suffered another seizure instead?
       Unsure of what to do, Chibi-Moon continued to gently shake her, calling out her name, and looking around anything that resembled medication. Surely she had to take some for these attacks.
       "...pain…"
       Hotaru stirred, opening her eyes. "….it…it hurts…." Reaching up with a shaky hand, she grabbed Chibi-Moon's suit for leverage, attempting to sit up. But the pink-haired girl rocked back instead, onto her feet so she could easily pull her friend up onto her knees. "I feel…"

       "Hotaru-chan, do you have any medicine?" Chibi-Moon asked, holding her steady; she looked as though she might faint back again. "I can go find your papa…"
       "Iie; papa is…busy…" Again she lifted her hand, trying to grab onto the front of Chibi-Moon's suit. "But you have something…it feels warm…"
       The pink-haired child stared at her, plainly surprised, her own hand moving unconsciously to the brooch pinned to her bow. "Hotaru-chan?"
        Amethyst stared intently at the piece of jewelry, before softening, looking up to meet Chibi-Moon's eyes. "On the bus, I felt it…such a warm energy…your amulet…"
        "Am-yu-lee-to? Ano….my brooch?" She looked down, touching the naked crystal inset; it wasn't the true Ginzuishou, which was actually inside, underneath the lid. "It's my special protection. Inside is a secret power that can protect the world and do wondrous things." Without hesitating now, she took Hotaru's hovering fingers and touched them to the crystal.
       Hotaru closed her eyes, a strange smile on her lips. Her head tipped back as she whispered, "What is it, Chibi-Usa-chan? This marvelous power…it makes me feel so much better…"
       Chibi-Moon smiled happily, feeling relieved that her friend was no longer in pain. She stood up, leaving Hotaru to check the window, saying, "The Maboroshi no Ginzuishou. It's a legendary crystal. But, Hotaru-chan," she then asked, hopping up to see outside, "are you really alright? You looked as though you've been hurt badly. As a sailor soldier, I can't allow anyone to attack you."
       As she landed, she heard a loud noise outside, a lengthy ripping and tearing; the three soldiers were freeing themselves, and no doubt prepared to break the wall down to get inside if need be. They had to run for it, and Chibi-Moon turned around as she said, "Hotaru-chan, we have to escape! There are people after you! I have to protect you; you're my best friend, and no matter what they say, you're not an evil person!"
       The lights went out with a sound of breaking glass.
       Hotaru began to giggle strangely, and as Chibi-Moon stared, she could see a literal sparkle in her eyes, the only light in the room. By that dim glow, she could also see the wide, toothy grin she wore as well, a maniacal show of tooth and gum that resembled a carnivore's triumphant smile. "Tomoe Hotaru was not evil, not at all. She fought back, wanting her body. But Tomoe Hotaru is not here; not any longer!" She lunged forward, and the pink-haired child screamed as she was borne down to the floor by Hotaru's weight, pinned effectively.
       But that sudden fear was nothing compared to the encompassing, splitting pain that bowed her back as Hotaru ripped her brooch away.
       Ribbons of pink followed the brooch through the air, taking Chibi-Usa's transformation with it, and she collapsed, everything shutting down into a comatose state. Her eyes closed; she didn't see the woman who now stood over her laughing, wearing Hotaru's face, her forehead blossoming with the shape of an ominous black star.


       Usagi screamed, clutching her chest, interrupting Minako's fourth attempt to formulate a plan they could agree on. All talking ceased; as their princess fell onto her knees, they were circling her in an instant, almost smothering: "Usagi, daijoubu?!"
       "Usagi, what's wrong, what's happened to you?"
       "Is the enemy attacking you with a spell?"
       Crystal blue eyes closed as she concentrated, hearing that constant song in her heart that was the Ginzuishou; its older twin, a softer harmony in the background, was no longer a gentle harmonic but a dissonant wail. "Chibi-Usa is…her Ginzuishou was…oh, kami-sama, I can feel it, I can feel her growing colder…."
       Diana wailed.
       Mamoru took her hand almost roughly, his breathe caught in his chest, hurting; he didn't care that he was merely a prince, and not entirely in command of any of them. He shook once, he steeled himself for the inevitable, and lifted his head to snap, "We have to get to Tomoe's laboratory, now! Transform!"
       He saw stars; more accurately, he saw four of them.