Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Reconciliation ❯ Realizations ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]




Reconciliation Part 2: Realizations


3 weeks later
Darien had talked to Lita, and the rest. They all knew that Serena had somehow managed to restore part of the moon. Raye had seen that she had also managed to restore the life on the moon as well, which meant Queen Serenity had returned. Lita had given him the note Serena left; he had read it, clenching it in his fist and masking his pain with anger when he finished.
He had forced himself to relax. "How do I get her back?" He had asked them. Only Raye knew the right answer.
"You don't." She told him, startling everyone. "Right now she's in too much pain to see you or even talk to you. You know that. You felt it just like we did. She will let you know when she's ready to talk to you. Then the rest will be up to you." He had a feeling Raye had left something out, something important. He wasn't sure what it was, but he knew it would probably be too late by the time he found out.
He walked past an electronics store. All the TVs in the window were tuned into a newscast talking about the new discovery on the moon. A palace and magnificent gardens that had appeared out of nowhere.
'It didn't come out of nowhere.' Darien thought angrily. 'If you idiots had used your eyes and actually looked at the moon, you would have found the ruins of Serena's kingdom! They were there all along!' Thankfully no one had recognized Serena. It didn't surprise him, when they had shown a picture of her and her mother on the news, it was out of focus and poorly done. From what he remembered of the Princess, they wouldn't recognize her even in a clear photo. She looked much different than Serena.
'Aaarrrggg!' Just thinking about her hurt him, but at least he had managed to stay on his feet this time. Maybe it was getting better. He shook his head. No, he needed her just as much as he knew she needed him. He had to get to her, even though Raye had said it was a bad idea, he had to talk to her and try and make her understand. But how?
He sighed. He knew Raye was right. He would have to wait until Serena came back to him, no matter how much it hurt, or how long he had to wait for her. Until she did come back, at least he would know how she was doing. The UN was putting together a team of international astronauts to be the first ambassadors to this new race of 'moon people', as the media has so aptly dubbed Serena, her mother and the rest.
'God I wish I could go with them. I would give anything to see her.' He sighed inwardly and kept going down the street. He reached into his pocket and gently touched the pure white feather that was hidden there. He had found it on the roof after she had left. It was one of the few things he had left of her. 'I'll change that. I will do whatever I have to do to get her back.' With a renewed sense of determination he headed home to think.



On the moon, things were very different. Serena sighed aloud. She was relaxing in a hot bath after a long day. Things had been so busy with life at the palace, she had barely any time to think about her old life on Earth, including Darien. She had restored the moon as much as she could with her powers, now they had to rebuild by hand.
It was going well, but it was much more difficult because time had eroded much of the moon's surface. Most of the needed building materials either had to be found deep below the surface, where time hadn't touched, or shipped up from Earth.
That was the next thing to be done. An international team of astronauts was being prepared to visit the moon. Earth was much more guarded when it came to relations with her people than she would have thought. They refused transport on ships belonging to the Moon Kingdom, who they called 'moon people', insisting on coming to the moon in one of their own shuttles.
It wasn't entirely unexpected tough. From the experiences Serena remembered growing up on Earth, anything they didn't understand was usually avoided or rejected. That reminded her about her friends. They had each been misunderstood and excluded, but Serena hadn't cared. She missed them, but they had been doing well without her. 'Maybe Raye had been right all along. They're fine without me, as much as they say they're not, they don't need me. Maybe they never did.' The thought had entered into her mind before, and she was beginning to believe it. The scouts still had Rubeus and the twisted sisters to deal with, but they had won every battle, just barely, but they had done it every time.
Serena suddenly realized the Negamoon hadn't attacked or done anything for several weeks. She couldn't figure out why. With the exception if the reappearance of the old Moon Kingdom, and her absence from everything, life for her friends was just as it had always been. 'Why haven't they done anything? What's different?' Questions plagued her mind and she couldn't relax anymore. She hastily got out of the bathtub and threw her robe on. She practically ran into her room to get the Silver Crystal.
Even though she couldn't do anymore with the crystal to restore her home, her mother had said for her to keep it until she knew without question what she was to do. Until she found another way, it was her window to her friends. She had only used it to watch them battle, but now she needed to know what had changed to make the Negamoon all but disappear. Their cloaking technology was quite good. The jagged crystal shaped craft was hidden from all but Serena and her mother. The Earth, with the exception of the scouts, had no knowledge of its existence.
She removed the glass lid, and gently lifted the Silver Crystal from its cradle on a royal blue velvet cushion. She didn't need her locket anymore, so she had pure white stone pedestal created with the cushion and glass to be the crystal's new home. The empty locket was kept in a secret slot under the cushion. She hadn't been able to give up the locket just yet, thinking maybe she should keep it until she was sure she wouldn't need it anymore.
Holding the floating crystal, she looked into it, and immediately saw what she had avoided seeing and thinking about since she left. Darien. He was alone in his apartment, reading in the dark. The dim lamp beside him lit his features so he looked more handsome than she remembered. The sight of him brought back all the pain she had been hiding since she had left. It had been almost a month and it still hurt as much as it had the day she left.
She collapsed onto the bed, the crystal falling to the pillow next to her, and the image blinking out. She buried her head into the soft pillow, her sobs muffled by the thick down. 'NO!' She screamed to herself. 'NO!! It's been almost a month! I won't let him hurt me anymore! He looked like he didn't care that I'm gone. Like he hadn't even noticed!' "Oh Darien!" she cried into her pillow, over and over before falling into a fitful sleep.



Finally he had found a moment's peace. He had found a really good book and was reading it when he felt as though he was being watched. 'Serena!' His mind screamed. He knew she was the one watching, but before he could get her name to his lips, he knew she was gone. Then he lost it. He dropped the book and sobbed uncontrollably, letting out all he had been suppressing since he had let her go.
That night, the dream came again. He was marring Serena, the one he loved with all his being. But it was different this time. Instead of her saying the silly, loving things he had heard so many times before in the dream, she just stared at him with a blank face. Like she didn't know him. This time she didn't kiss him, and the ground didn't split apart. She simply turned and walked away, into a vast and beautiful garden.
He watched her, unable to follow until a voice broke his concentration. "Go after her Darien. She needs you."
He spun to face the voice. "You told me to stay away from her or she would die. And now she's gone and I'll never see her again!" He yelled angrily.
"Go to her." Was the reply. Then he woke up.
Breathing heavily, he placed a hand to his forehead and found it wet with perspiration. Moonlight filled the room. Looking out the window, the moon was more brilliant and beautiful than he had ever seen. He kept his eyes on it as he walked out onto his balcony. Supporting his weight on the railing, he just stared, thinking about how much everything had changed since she had left. 'What do I do? Do I ignore the dreams now that I've had this one and risk going to her?'
"Oh Serena. I'm so sorry." He whispered to the glowing disc in the night sky. "What am I going to do? How am going to get to you?"
"I will show you." Came a female voice from behind him.
He turned, stunned that he wasn't alone anymore. He found another sailor standing in his doorway holding a staff that looked like a long key.
"Who are you? And how can you get me to Serena?" He asked, more curious than afraid.
"I am Sailor Pluto. Keeper of the time gate."
"Sailor Pluto?"
She nodded.
"What about Serena?, you said you could get me to her."
"Do you love her as much as you say you do?" Pluto asked him.
Her question offended him. "Of course I do!" He almost shouted at her. She didn't seem to notice.
She nodded again. "Then take my hand."
Cautiously, he reached out and grasped her gloved hand. Immediately he was transported to a large door, ornately decorated with the phases of the moon. He became aware that he was dressed as Tuxedo Mask. He was about to ask this strange new scout where they were when she spoke.
"No questions now." Pluto spoke gently but commandingly. "If you want to find Serena's heart again, you must pass though this door. But I will warn you now, what you will find on the other side of this door will change everything."
Darien turned the knob, and found it locked. He looked at her puzzled.
"You need a key. You can only find that key in your heart. That key is your love for Serena."
'Serena.' He sighed inwardly, and immediately felt a funny sensation. He looked down and floating in mid-air over his heart was a beautiful, glowing key. Darien looked at Pluto and she nodded, smiling. He took the key and slipped it into the door and unlocked it. When he tried the knob again it opened with ease. Pushing the door open he was met with a brilliant white light. He closed his eyes against it and took a step forward and found himself on solid ground. He opened his eyes and found himself on a hill overlooking a gigantic city.
"It looks frozen." He said to Sailor Pluto, who was still standing next to him.
"It's not frozen. It's made of crystal." She quietly replied.
"Where are we?"
"The future. As it was supposed to be before Serena returned to the moon."
"What's that big crystal in the center?"
"The rulers of this world live there. The king and queen, and their daughter. Come with me." She started down the hill and her clothes changed to that of an ordinary person. As he turned to follow her, his did the same.
"Where are we going?" Darien asked her when he caught up.
"To the palace. You need to see it."
As they walked, Darien looked in awe at the beautiful and prosperous city.
"Everyone here seems so happy." He said.
"They are. This is a wonderful time for the Earth. There is no crime, no war. Everything is peaceful. They owe everything to the king and queen."
Darien was about to ask who they were when they reached the palace. They were standing in front of a solid wall. Darien watched in awe as Pluto reached forward and touched the wall with her staff, it slipped though the crystal as though it wasn't there. She proceeded to walk through the wall herself. Carefully, Darien followed, passing though the crystal as easily as she did. He had noticed that two others trying to follow them couldn't. They were stopped by the wall.
"How?" Darien asked confused.
"Only those of the royal court are allowed into this part of the palace. The crystal wall keeps all others out."
He was about to ask her how they got in then, when he noticed his clothes were different again. He was now dressed as Tuxedo Mask again, and Pluto was a Sailor again. He shook his head and decided to just follow. There were too many questions, and he probably wouldn't understand the answers anyways.
"Don't worry. You will understand everything soon." She told him as if she had read his thoughts.
She led him though endless massive crystal corridors. The stopped at the entrance to a beautiful garden, almost like the one in his dream, but not quite. It was different, but he didn't know how it was different. Movement in the center of the garden caught his attention. As they drew closer, what he saw stopped him in his tracks.



Back | Next