Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Reconciliation ❯ The Truth ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]




Reconciliation Part 3: The Truth


Serena woke with a start. She had a dream about Darien. They were getting married. She had always believed that her dream would someday come true, but as she curled up, pulling the crystal into her arms, she knew that was never going to happen. She let the renewed pain flow through her. Sobs racked her body until she fell once again into a restless sleep.
The crystal still held to her body, reacted to her sadness and intense pain. A flash of light engulfed Serena, and her crying stopped. Her body relaxed. She woke partially, got up and put on her nightgown, and slipped between the warm blankets into a calm, peaceful sleep.



Somewhere hovering far above Earth, another flash of light engulfed the jagged crystal spaceship containing Rubeus and the four sisters. The light disappeared and the ship and its occupants were no longer there.
On a balcony on the Moon, Queen Serenity felt the power of the crystal and saw the disappearance of the ship.
In the future, a frown marred Pluto's expression. She too had felt the power of the crystal, and the shift in the timeline. Once they left this future, it would all but cease to exist. They had to return to the present, and soon.



Darien stood motionless, staring unbelieving at the people before him in the garden. Pluto stopped and turned to him.
"Come. You need to know the truth." She said in her firm but gentle voice.
He shook his head, not sure whether or not to pinch himself.
There were three. A man, older than himself, but not much, in a lavender tuxedo, a woman in a beautiful long white dress, wearing a tiara, and a child he immediately recognized as Rini.
Pluto watched him study the three, then said, as if reading his thoughts again. "Do not ask who they are. You already know."
Darien nodded. Yes, I know who the people are, but why are they here? Why am I here?
The man looked up at him and nodded. A knowing smile crossed his face. He started walking towards Darien and Pluto.
Darien just stood and watched him come. When he was close enough, he spoke.
"Welcome, Darien, to your future." He put a gloved hand on Darien's shoulder.
It was like looking into a mirror, only the man looking back at him was older. Darien was speechless.
"You're me." He managed to say.
The man nodded. "Yes. Call me Endymion. That's the name I use now."
"The name from the past." Darien added.
Endymion looked over at Pluto. She nodded. "Come walk with me. There is much you need to know."
Darien followed Endymion out of the garden. As they were leaving the room, he heard Rini shout Pluto's name. He turned to look at the little girl, younger than the one in his time, run into Pluto's outstretched arms. He turned his gaze to the other woman. Serena. Here, she's even more beautiful than he ever could have imagined.
He felt a hand on his shoulder. "They're..." Darien began.
"I know. They're my family, and they will be yours." Endymion replied, remembering when he was the young man standing there in awe. "She's queen now. Neo-Queen Serenity. My wife." He said with a sigh.
Darien turned to face his older self, still in disbelief of the whole situation. He saw a look of utter happiness and contentment on his face. He was truly happy, and he knew he had this to look forward to.
Endymion nodded. "Come." And they left the room.
They walked in silence for a time. Darien's mind was a whirlwind of questions. One look from Endymion silenced his mind.
"She's beautiful, isn't she?" Endymion asked Darien. "So much more than before. She's not a klutz anymore. She's a woman now. Graceful, beautiful, and worth everything. All of the hardships, all of the pain." He sighed. "It was all worth it. We all deserve this now."
As Endymion spoke, Darien began to recognize the voice, and with that recognition came anger. He stopped suddenly. "YOU!" He shouted. "You were the one sending me those dreams! Those horrible nightmares!"
Endymion didn't look surprised. After all, he had already been through what the man before him was doing now. He just nodded.
"WHY?!" Darien demanded.
"It was a test. You had to know just how much you love her, and how much she loves you. Without that knowledge, you'll never make it though what's to come." Pluto had already prepared him for this encounter with his old self, telling him exactly what not to say.
"A test?" Darien couldn't believe his ears. "I already knew how much Serena means to me! And now because I listened to my dream, because I listened to you, she's gone back to the moon! She's rebuilding the moon kingdom! I may never see her again because of you!" He was furious.
"You had to know." Endymion calmly replied, and continued walking.
Darien stood for a moment processing what he had just been told, then ran to catch up with the other man.
"Something bad is going to happen, isn't it?" he asked solemnly.
Endymion nodded, not saying anything.
"It involves Serena, doesn't it?"
Endymion nodded again, looking away. The memories from that time still hurt, even after so much time had passed.
"You won't tell me what, will you?" Darien asked, bringing Endymion back to the present.
Endymion shook his head. "You know I can't. All I can tell you is that now that you truly know the depth of your love, you'll need every once of strength you can draw from that to face what's coming. Never forget it, never doubt it, and your love will come though stronger than before."
They walked in silence for sometime. Darien thinking about everything that he now knew, and everything he didn't. Endymion remembering when it had been him going through all of it.
Darien finally broke the silence. "Rini. I know she's Serena's daughter, but is she...?"
"Yes." Endymion replied smiling. "She's your daughter. Or will be, in the future."
"How far in the future am I?"
"About a thousand years, give or take a few." Pluto said from behind them. The pair turned to face her. "You've found out all you need to know. It's time to go Darien."
He was about to protest when Pluto shook her head. "No one should know what their future is going to be. You already know too much."
From behind her, Serena and Rini came into the hall. Serena looked up at the two men, and nodded. She came towards them, with Rini hanging on her dress. When Rini saw her father, she shouted his name joyously and came running into him awaiting arms.
Endymion scooped up his giggling daughter. "Rini, honey. How's my little pumpkin?"
"Fine now daddy. Mommy and I were looking for you." The small child replied.
"Well you found me!" He said to her, tickling her and causing her to squeal with delight.
Darien just watched. He had never seen anyone so happy, and to see that look on his own face, was even more astonishing.
"Who's that man daddy?" Rini asked, looking curiously at Darien.
"That's daddy's friend, Mr. Chiba. Can you say hello?"
Rini leaned over and whispered something into Endymion's ear. He laughed and put Rini back on the ground. To Darien's surprise, she very politely curtsied and greeted him as formally as a small child can.
"Hello Mr. Chiba. I am very pleased to meet you. My name is Princess Rini of Crystal Tokyo."
Darien smiled and bent down to the small child. "Well hello there tiny Rini. I am very pleased to meet you too."
A big smile covered the child's face.
"Very good Rini. You're be a lady in no time." Serena said, who had been watching the whole scene from a short distance away.
Rini spun around to face her mother. "Really mommy? I'll be a lady just like you?"
Serena picked her up. "Well of course you will."
"And you'll be just as pretty too." Endymion added. He was glowing with pride.
"And how old are you Rini?" Darien asked. He had to know.
She gave Darien a big smile and held up two fingers. "This many!" she said happily.
"And how many is that?" Serena asked the wiggling pink-haired girl in her arms.
"Um..., TWO!" Rini exclaimed with delight. "I'm two!"
She was indeed younger than the one in his time. "Rini?" Darien asked cautiously. "May I have a hug?"
The biggest smile he ever saw crossed the little girl's face and she practically leapt from Serena to him. She wrapped her arms around his neck so tightly she made it difficult to breathe. Then she did something that told him she was definitely Serena's daughter. She kissed his cheek. It made him miss his own Serena that much more.
"Darien." Pluto called from behind him, reminding him they had to go.
He handed Rini back to the older Serena standing infront of him with a sigh. She looked at him with her beautiful blue eyes, so filled with maturity and love. She placed a gentle had on his face.
"You're so handsome, Darien. Never forget, your Serena loves you just as much as you love her. She always has." Then with a wink, she added, "She always will." Then she turned her loving gaze to her Endymion.
He felt a hand on his shoulder. It was Pluto. "We must go now. We have been here too long already." He nodded, and with one wave of her key-shaped staff, Pluto pulled them back though the time door.
This time though, they didn't return to the past. Pluto stopped them in a space she explained to be between the doors.
"Something has happened to the Princess that has changed the future." Pluto said in a worried tone that made Darien's stomach feel as if it were being tied in knots. If the ever-cool Pluto was worried, then something was very wrong.
Then, something that resembled a giant screen appeared out of nowhere. The scene it displayed was terrifying. Pluto gasped.
"This is very bad. This never should have happened." Then she explained what they were looking at. "This is the future we just left. Only it isn't. The one we just visited was how it was supposed to be, this is what it has become, what it will be if you fail to bring Serena back to Earth. If she never remembers..."
Darien was panicking inside. What did Pluto mean, if she never remembers? The scene on the screen was a terrible black world. Everything was dead. The few people that did appear to be living appeared to be sickly and weak and miserable. Almost everything was in ruins or wasteland. It was horrifying to look at. Darien turned away, unable to believe that this could possibly be the future.
Pluto seemed to read his thoughts again, and began to explain what was being displayed more clearly. "She is forgetting." She began. "This is the future without the King Endymion and Neo-Queen Serenity, and Princess Rini. This is the reason the family of the Negamoon hasn't attacked in so long. Somehow they knew she was going to forget her life on Earth and without her, there was no Crystal Tokyo, and no one to keep them from taking Earth."
Darien understood what Pluto was talking about. "They haven't attacked because they've already won." He said wide-eyed at his own realization as the screen faded away.
"Are you ready to see Serena?" Pluto asked him gently after a moment of silence.
He turned to look at her, and slowly nodded. Though after what he just saw, he wasn't sure what he was going to find.



Back | Next