Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Senshi: Gathering of the Five ❯ Chapter 9

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Senshi: the Gathering of Five

Part Nine

The two made their way forward, an arrow ready in Rei's bow and Usagi carrying her sword in the guard position. The halls were almost eerily quiet, the normal bustle of the hospital completely gone. They reached the doors of the nursery, and Usagi gave Rei a questioning look.

"It's in there," Rei confirmed.

Usagi took a centering breath, raised her katana, and then smiled grimly. She kicked out, slamming the swinging doors wide open as she rolled inside, her sword coming up in guard position as she cried, "Get away from those kids!"

The silvery haired figure stood in front of the cradles, gathering up swirls of white light from the many little babies. He turned around, eyes widening slightly as he saw Usagi, Rei coming in right behind her, then he smiled wryly.

"I take it the five chose to let you pass," he said to them thoughtfully, "they'll pay for that disloyalty later." He threw his arm back dramatically, the cape he wore over his shoulders swirling, "I am Malachite, little princess."

"That will not get you on her good side," Rei tightened her grip on the arrow on the string as she continued, "she hates being called that."

Usagi tossed Rei a slight frown, then looked over at Malachite. "Yield and live," she said crisply, "fight me and die."

Surprisingly Malachite laughed at them. "You grow over-confident," he murmured, "but little rabbit, you have yet to face our warriors. And," he gestured, energy coursing between his hands to form a sword of pure light, "you have never faced one like me."

"Big talk," Rei drew and released, the arrow hissing as it raced through the air towards him. With an completely inhuman speed he actually caught the arrow from midair, contemptuously tossing it aside to clatter to the floor.

Usagi moved, katana a blur as he swept down at her, their weapons coming together in a flash of light. They gazed into each other's eyes, for a moment the two looking oddly... alike, both of their eyes alive with the passion of combat. A twist of Usagi's blade broke the clash, and the two fought back and forth in the room.

Malachite was like poetry in motion, the smooth, wide arcs of his weapon clearly defining his territory. He leapt and almost danced, staying at least a step ahead of the powerful strokes of Usagi's blade. But his face was a study, moving from supreme self confidence, to surprise, worry, and finally a bit of fear in his oddly gray eyes.

"You're very good," Malachite finally had to concede as their weapons came together once again. The two of them stood there almost frozen, studying each other's faces intently, each ready to move in a moment's notice.

"And you think that you're in some kind of samurai drama," Rei said coldly, quite deliberately drilling Malachite in the back with an arrow.

Malachite jerked in pain, his guard dropping for just a moment, but more than long enough for Usagi to sweep her blade right across his exposed belly. He staggered backward, desperately trying to hold his guts in with his arms, then his back exploded into flames as Rei's arrow finally ignited, light and fire driving him forward.

Usagi swept her katana upwards, cutting him once again and finishing the youma off. As he fell the sphere of life energy broke up, swirling to return to the children, all of whom began to cry weakly as will and strength returned to them. The gray clad body began to dissolve, black ooze spreading out on the gleaming floor.

"We'd better get out of here before any of the hospital staff free themselves from the youma's spell," Rei suggested, taking a step towards the doors.

"A very good idea," Usagi made a face, realizing that several diapers in the room probably needed changing. They hurried away down the hallway as dazed medical staff began to return to their duties, ignoring both young women.

Rei looked over at Usagi as they hurried out of the hospital, realizing what was bothering her. Usagi had been enjoying herself when she fought Malachite, completely wrapped up in the dance of the sword duel. Now as they walked Usagi looked completely normal, but it had been a bit... unnerving, to see that look on the intense young woman's face.

"Are you all right?" Rei finally asked softly.

Usagi gave her an odd look, "I'm fine." She took the communicator Ami had given them and felt a bit relieved it was relatively simple. "Ami, you there?"

The voice came through loud and clear, "Of course, Usagi." A pause, "We've dealt with the youma at the amusement park. Makoto and I are currently heading for the shrine, and I assume we'll meet you there."

"The youma at the hospital's been dealt with," Usagi said calmly, "and yes, we'll meet you there. Usagi, out."

Rei chuckled softly, "My grandfather gets to look at you three again, he'll be so happy."

"Oh, joy," Usagi smiled back, her blue eyes glinting.

It wasn't long before the two were climbing the shrine steps together, feeling like two warriors triumphant in battle. They were almost through the gate when Rei reached out to stop Usagi, "There's someone else up there."

"Lets go," Usagi drew her sword as the two ran up the final steps.

Rei slid arrow to string, dropping down on one knee to ease her firing while Usagi remained standing, sword in hand. She didn't see anything, but she could feel whomever it was out there. "Show yourself," Rei cried, closing her eyes and reaching out with her senses. The arrow almost released itself, soaring through the air...

... only to be caught by a white gloved hand. The girl's long blonde hair stretched out behind her like a banner, the skirt of her sailor fuku moving slightly in the wind. Her face was almost entirely shadowed, her eyes hidden by a simple white mask. On her shoulder, a familiar looking white cat crouched there, watching the four of them warily.

"Sailor V," Ami murmured, jumping to her feet with her cold gun in hand, Makoto rising beside her with fists clenched for battle.

"Very good," Sailor V nodded to Rei respectfully, casually tossing the arrow back to the girl, "you're senses grow sharper."

"Blame that little cat of yours," Rei kept her voice nearly flat as she caught the arrow, "he reminded me that I could be trying harder."

Artemis shifted, becoming the form of a white haired young man. "Luna," he smiled weakly, "it's good to see you again."

The little black cat stalked right by him as she walked from where Ami and Makoto were standing to leap up onto Usagi's shoulder. Her tail lashing she glared at the boy until he took an involuntary half-step backward.

"That's enough, Luna," Usagi murmured as she reached up to scratch the black cat behind the ears. She looked over at Sailor V, studying the masked woman intently before finally saying, "I don't think we've met."

"No, we haven't," Sailor V agreed, walking up to where Usagi and Rei stood. They stood a short distance, looking almost exactly alike as they gazed at each other. Finally a slight smile tugged at Sailor V's lips, "You know, I think you'll do."

Usagi blinked. "Thank you, I think," she managed. She puffed a little breath out before saying, "Could you please tell me what's going on?"

Sailor V shook her head no. "I'm sorry," she gestured, and Artemis shifted back to his cat form, leaping up onto her shoulder, "but you're not ready. Not yet."

As the blonde moved off Makoto ran forward to shout, "Wait a minute!"

The voice came back to them from the darkness, fading fast. "When you need me, I'll be there. That I promise you."

There was a long moment of silence as the four stood there before Rei growled out, "Well that was irritating."

"She did that to us over at the amusement park too," Ami admitted, pushing her short blue hair back, "but I didn't realize she followed us."

"You couldn't have known," Makoto said gruffly.

"Well," Usagi looked tired, "at least we won for tonight." A grim little smile, "There'll be other nights, but tonight is ours."

To be continued...