Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Senshi: Gathering of the Five ❯ Chapter 19

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Senshi: the Gathering of Five

Part Nineteen

Michiru's long green hair flowed around her body as she waited there patiently, her simple light green dress swirling with the gentle breeze. "Are you ready, windbag?" she asked her companion calmly, gaze focused ahead of them.

"Of course," Haruka shot back, "water on the brain. But are you sure you can manage without Setsuna to hold your hand, old lady?" The sandy haired young woman dressed in jeans and a T-shirt tossed her a cocky grin, her eyes twinkling.

"Just you wait and see, child," Michiru answered, her eyes dark with a intense hatred for the creatures that were arrayed before them.

The Youma gazed at them restlessly, the mostly human seeming servants of the Oni clearly confused by what they saw. These weren't the five Senshi who had attacked their masters, but there was something... oddly different about them. They looked as mortal as any creature that walked the Earth but there was an unearthly quality about them, too.

"We can't let any get away," Haruka reminded her as the Youma cautiously encircled the two of them, "to tell their masters about us."

"They won't," Michiru flashed a dangerous smile.

"Then let's go," Haruka agreed.

The slim young woman raised her hand, holding it up as the air pressure soared all around them then Haruka hammered her fist down into the ground. Thunder boomed loud enough to rattle their bones then lightning struck down, the ranks of Youma blasted backwards as the ground itself was melted white hot by the bolt of power.

"Overdone," Michiru sniffed disdainfully.

The Youma looked startled, then they cried out in fear and alarm as all the liquid poured out of their forms. In only seconds the front rank dropped, dehydrated husks crumbling to dust as the liquid swirled around Michiru, her eyes glowing an eerie ice blue. With a gesture water scythed out like a blade and more Youma died.

"Not bad," Haruka acknowledged, moving over to stand at Michiru's side as the surviving Youma started to rally.

Michiru gave Haruka a glance and was surprised to see no sign of mocking in her eyes. "You're not so bad yourself," she agreed.

They looked so similar standing there, twin elemental forces now embodied in fragile human forms. A goddess warrior of the skies calling the lightning to heel along with the mistress of the waters, as deep and deadly as the darkest seas. With a howl the surviving Youma charged them, but the two women were ready for it.

From the puddles of water her powers left Michiru called it forth, in seconds fragments of shining light forming a simple hand mirror. "Illuminate the depths," she murmured, power arching around her, "of their evil." A beam of light, brighter than the sun, blazed out and the Youma simply evaporated into mist.

"Shining blade," Haruka's eyes seemed to flash along with the rumbling of the storm clouds high above them, "cut away the darkness!" The bolt of lightning came down then seemed to stop above the ground, swirling electricity that Haruka thrust her hand into. From the light she drew forth the saber, the crescent shaped weapon glowing with power and then in a single sweep she cut down the remaining foes.

Michiru felt her breath coming a bit faster and she could hear Haruka panting beside her. "Too bad the Oni don't die so easily," she managed.

Haruka leaned on her blade, bits of lightning still dancing along the golden blade. "Yeah," she agreed. She pushed her sweaty hair from her eyes as she looked over at Michiru, "You know, I think I'm beginning to understand why my father liked you." She grinned as she added, "Even though you pissed him off so much."

"Oh?" Michiru looked surprised.

"You're not only good at what you do," Haruka made herself stand, "but you enjoy your work." She cupped the sword in her hands as she murmured a soft thank you, then it simply dissolved into the lightning, shooting back into the sky.

Light danced around her fingers as Michiru released her own weapon, the shining mirror dissolving into the waters once again. "That sword," Michiru looked over at Haruka as they set off away from the deserted lot, "it was your father's, right?"

"Yes," Haruka nodded as they reached the car Setsuna had provided them.

"I'm sure he'd be glad to see it being wielded with honor," Michiru said serenely, watching Haruka slide behind the wheel. The storm elemental was oddly comfortable with the automobiles, unlike her, so she was glad to let her drive.

"You and my father never seemed to get along very well," Haruka started up the car and swung them out onto the street, "why was that?"

"He never said?" Michiru looked over at Haruka curiously.

"No, not really," Haruka shook her head as they smoothly moved through traffic, "it was odd, he'd speak of you with such fondness then he'd suddenly curse you for no reason."

"I have no wish to speak of the dead," Michiru said with a sigh, "without him being here to give his side of it."

Haruka's hands tightened on the wheel. "There is no one else I can ask," she sighed, "other than Setsuna, maybe."

Michiru smiled wryly, "I suspect she'd tell you if you asked." She looked out at the passing city as she silently wrestled with it then said, "It began when I and he had been called upon by Setsuna some years ago to prevent a human occultist from freeing the Oni."

"Father spoke of that occasionally," Haruka agreed, "a Professor Tomoe sought the Oni's aid in healing his sickly daughter."

"We worked closely together, became friends," Michiru said softly, "while we fought against Tomoe's servants, a coven of five devious and powerful witches."

Haruka was listening intently, even as she drove them to the suite that they were sharing with Setsuna. "Tomoe nearly succeeded," Haruka recalled the tales that her father told, "he sent his daughter Hotaru into the Oni's realm shortly before you defeated him."

"We lost Hotaru to the Oni," Michiru agreed, "a failure that I have always regretted. Once the battle ended your father spoke to me, revealing feelings that ran much deeper than friendship."

"What?!" Haruka blurted, nearly losing control of the car in her surprise.

"Eeep," Michiru squeaked, grabbing the console. Once she was sure that they were going to be fine she continued, "The Stormlord said that he was in love with me."

"What did you do?" Haruka asked as they finally pulled up in front of their building. The two stayed in the car, taking advantage of the momentary privacy.

"I had to tell him the truth," Michiru said, giving Haruka a cautious look as she continued, "that I had always preferred the company of females."

"Oh," Haruka took a moment before she fully registered it, "oh!"

Michiru pushed her hair back nervously, "Setsuna already knows about me, of course." She smiled wryly, "She seems to know everything at times."

Haruka didn't meet Michiru's eyes as she softly said, "It's all right."

"Not from the way you're acting, I think." Michiru said. She wanted to put a hand on the suddenly tense younger woman's arm but wasn't sure if it would we well received.

Suddenly Haruka was out the car door, standing beside the car as the sun began to break through the clouds. "You don't know me," she coldly looked back at Michiru as she scrambled out of the car, "don't act as if you do."

"Haruka?" Michiru blinked in confusion.

"We'd better go inside and wait to hear from Setsuna," Haruka lead the way at a brisk pace, "she might need our help if the meeting with the Senshi goes badly."

Michiru followed, shaking her head as she thought, 'What is going on with this girl?'

To be continued....