Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Senshi: Gathering of the Five ❯ Christmas Interlude: Two ( Chapter 21 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Senshi: the Gathering of Five
Interlude: Christmas Two
The black haired girl that was dressed in the white and red garb of a miko watched with a certain amusement as the small man bustled about the living room, putting up all the Christmas decorations cheerfully. "I wasn't really expecting you to go this far," Rei Hino commented.
Grandfather looked at her in amusement, "Oh come on, you have to admit it's fun."
"Well, yes," Rei admitted, the normally serious young woman hanging up a wreath on the wall. She blinked in surprise as he clambered up short the ladder, setting a sprig of mistletoe above the doorway. Rei raised an eyebrow, "What is THAT for?"
Grandfather grinned, looking positively devilish. "I will be here long enough to say hello to them," he explained with false innocence.
Rei shook her head, smiling impishly. "You'll be getting kisses on the cheek, tops," she predicted with a cheerful laugh.
"I'm glad that you're doing this," he added seriously. Grandfather smiled up at her fondly, "I've tried to be a father to you since your mother died and father left, but we've had some pretty quiet Christmas evenings together."
"And they were lovely times," Rei smiled down at him. She looked up to gaze out at the softly falling snow, "Just like tonight, hopefully."
Just then Makoto carried the first covered plates into the room, the escaping scents still making both their mouths water. "Thanks for letting me use your kitchen," the brown haired amazon smiled, her dress swirling around her long legs. Her favorite rose earrings glinted in the light, the expression on her face truly happy.
"Considering you're cooking dinner for us all, you're quite welcome," Grandfather smiled happily. Dropping his voice he murmured, "I just wish Rei could cook that well."
"I heard that," discretely Rei elbowed him in the ribs for that remark. "I can't believe you're doing all of this for us," she added with a wry smile.
"It was my idea," Makoto shrugged, "and since everyone chipped in for the cooking supplies I thought I should do a good job on the food." She arranged the dishes on the table thoughtfully, "I wonder when the others will get here?"
"Knowing Usagi she'll be here now that the food's ready," Rei chuckled.
Not too far away from the temple two figures walked through the snow, crunching the powder beneath their feet. "I still don't see why I have to go," Luna softly complained from her perch on Usagi's shoulder.
"Just think of it as a group bonding thing," Ami Mizuno commented, the blue haired professor smiling slightly. Instead of the suits that Ami usually wore she was dressed casually, white shirt and blue skirt along with a protective jacket. Over her shoulder she carried her usual beg, though she had remained silent on the contents.
"I wonder if he'll be there," Luna muttered irritably.
As they neared the temple they saw a sleek sports car parked there, a familiar figure leaning up against the still warm hood. Minako Aino's face lit up with a smile as they walked up, the blonde haired idol casually dressed in simple skirt and sweater.
Artemis looked over at them tentatively, the little white cat wincing under Luna's glare. "Ah, hi," he managed, smiling weakly.
Luna growled, a low rumble from deep in the back of her throat. With a sigh Usagi suddenly reached to grab the little cat by the scruff of her neck, bringing her around to stare into the cat's eyes. "I'm declaring a truce for tonight," she told the startled feline firmly, "there's to be no fights or sniping at each other, got it?"
"But," Luna protested.
Dropping her voice dangerously Usagi continued firmly, "Got it?"
Luna cringed under her mistress' glare. "Understood," she sighed.
"Very nice," Minako murmured, an amused smile on her face. She fell into step beside them as they went up the stairs, Artemis perched on her shoulder. Minako looked over at the other two and confessed, "I've been looking forward to this."
"Me, too," Ami admitted. She smiled slightly, tilting her head up so that the snowflakes could settle on her cheeks, "The prospect of having a home cooked meal is enough to fill me with joy."
"Not a cook?" Usagi asked curiously.
"If it was possible to burn water," Ami said dryly, "I'd probably do it."
"Seconded," Minako held up her hand sheepishly.
Usagi echoed the gesture, "Third." She smiled happily as they reached the top of the stairs, "I'm just glad it's Makoto who's cooking."
The shrine itself was mostly deserted by now, a path cleared through the snow towards the buildings and other sections. Only a few people lingered, offering prayers for the season before returning to their homes. The door leading into the shrine itself was open, warmth and light spilling out onto the white dusted ground.
"Welcome," Rei looked up to greet them with a smile, fighting back a laugh as she saw her Grandfather waiting underneath the mistletoe. Collecting the predicted three pecks on the cheek he excused himself, wishing them all a merry Christmas.
"Thank you," Usagi said simply, surprising Rei with a gentle hug.
"Hey, I'm getting a great meal out of this, too," Rei answered quietly.
Ami looked around with a frown, her serious expression changing to a welcoming smile as Makoto walked inside, wiping her hands on a towel. "About time you got here," Makoto said gruffly, "dinner's just about ready."
Luna leapt down smoothly, the slim black form blurring slightly as she swiftly expanded. In seconds a young woman stood there, black hair framing a lovely face, the crescent moon glowing on her brow. "Is there anything I can do to help?" Luna offered with a bow. Artemis looked tempted to transform as well, but good sense held him back.
"I'm pretty much done," Makoto grinned, "I could use some help bringing in the rest of the dishes in a few minutes."
"I'll help wash dishes," Minako offered, "it's the least I could do."
"Me, too," Usagi volunteered reluctantly.
Dinner was dished up around the low table, everyone talking quietly while they ate the wonderful dishes. It was a western style meal, fitting for the western holiday, but that merely lent an exotic air to the meal.
"This is wonderful," Ami murmured from her seat beside Makoto. Oddly she had moved almost as soon as Makoto sat, taking that spot before anyone else could.
Makoto smiled back, reaching out to retrieve a bowl of cranberry sauce. "Here, try this," she passed it over, their fingers brushing as she did so.
Minako watched them with a smile, pausing with a forkful of turkey in the air then she ate it with a smile. "Don't even think about matchmaking," Artemis muttered from where the cat sat at her side, trying very hard not to be noticed by Luna.
"I don't think I'll need to," Minako answered with a smile.
"So how are things at the temple?" Usagi asked curiously, looking over to where Rei sat close beside her. Remarkably she managed to eat and talk easily, scarfing down the turkey and potatoes seemingly effortlessly.
Rei watched her eat and sweatdropped. "I'm still fairly busy," she admitted, "people want me to do visions for them, as well as the other duties of a miko."
"Exorcism, wardings and other things," Usagi nodded. At Rei's surprised look Usagi blushed, "I was curious, so I asked your grandfather."
Once the food was done Ami surprised them with a gift, slim wristwatches that she passed around. "They're communicators," she explained, "improved versions of the ones I gave you earlier." A slight frown, "They do have a limited range, so if one of us leaves the city we may be out of touch."
"Green," Makoto noted the color of the wristband and the oak leaves etched on the metal, "just my color."
"Thank you," Ami blushed faintly.
Usagi got up to change the Christmas CD playing in the background even as Rei went to get a drink, the two passing by each other a moment. "Look who's standing under the mistletoe," Minako noted with a smile, "kiss!"
"Kiss! Kiss!" Makoto echoed even as Ami blushed fiercely.
Rei gave Usagi a rueful smile, "You know they're going to keep nagging us until we do."
"Best get it over with," Usagi agreed, a bit of red to her cheeks.
Later on, Rei would insist that all she had planned was a simple peck on the cheek. Bending forward Usagi had turned slightly, tilting her face up then surprisingly lips were pressed to lips. They stood there a second, then Usagi slid her hands up Rei's arms for support as the kiss continued.
"Merry Christmas," Rei managed breathlessly once they separated.
"You too," Usagi answered, looking up at Rei with an decidedly unreadable expression on her lovely face....
To be continued...