Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Senshi: Gathering of the Five ❯ Chapter 27

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Senshi: the Gathering of Five
Part Twenty-seven
 
Makoto pushed the doors open to the inner chambers, the massive stone slabs moving along reluctantly. She pressed, muscles on her arms showing like cords of steel, then with a grinding sound they slid open to reveal what lay within.
 
Without a word Usagi lead the way, Makoto, Rei, Setsuna and Haruka following her as they strode inside. Torches lit the walls, guards spaced out along the edges of the chamber, a great throne sitting in the center of the room. They walked on as the guards hurried to circle the throne and the three figures waiting there.
 
"There she is," Usagi murmured, meeting the eyes of her mother.
 
The two women looked almost eerily similar, Serenity's silvery hair styled much like Usagi's blonde hair was, the faces and forms basically alike. But while Usagi's blue eyes ran the emotional range from gentle to furious, the Oni queen's eyes were cold and lifeless.
 
"How do you want to do this?" Haruka asked, electricity arching around the hands of the sandy blonde haired woman.
 
Setsuna spoke up softly, "I need to face Hotaru."
 
Makoto and Rei exchanged a silent glance then Rei looked towards Usagi, "You'll need someone to keep the guards off your back when you face them."
 
A faint smile touched Usagi's lips as she nodded, "I guess so." She looked towards the throne and met Mamoru's eyes, something dark passing between them, then she looked to Haruka and asked, "Can you take him?"
 
"He's the one who betrayed you?" Haruka asked curiously, her eyes flashing. With Usagi's reluctant nod Haruka smiled grimly, "Then it'll be my pleasure."
 
Before anything else could be said the Queen rose from her throne, her white gown swirling around her. "Welcome to my hall," Serenity said coldly, "and to what may be your deaths."
 
"Or it may be yours," Setsuna said, meeting her former lover's eyes, "depending on what the fates will decide."
 
"The Oni have always decided our own fates, witch," Mamoru said coldly, his red lined black cloak flowing over the black armor he wore. At his side a long sword hung, his eyes glowing faintly red in the dim light of the cavern.
 
Serenity turned her gaze to meet her daughter's eyes, "I offer you a final chance to surrender and so doing spare your friends' lives."
 
"Never," Usagi answered crisply, then she gestured to the others, "Attack!"
 
On cue Rei drew her bow, three arrows on the string and let fly, dropping shafts with uncanny accuracy into three of the guards as the others charged into the breech. Drawing again she fired a arrow into another guard as the first three burst into flame, cries of alarm coming from the remaining Oni warriors.
 
Lightning danced around Haruka's fingers to form the stormlord's saber, the blade crackling with power as she raced towards Mamoru. He drew his sword, the weapon a piece of shadow given form, sucking in light like some kind of black hole. Their weapons met with a silent clash of powers, the shockwave staggering any nearby.
 
"Die," the Oni lunged at Makoto but she dodged smoothly. Before he knew it she had broke his nose, then her next blow brought on inky blackness. As he fell a arrow drilled into him, his body exploding into flame.
 
Makoto's brown mane flowed as she spun, a kick breaking the neck of another enemy with frightening ease. "You have no idea how good it feels to cut loose," she growled. Makoto raised her voice defiantly, "Who's next?!"
 
With ghostly silence Setsuna drew her knife, long greenish black hair flowing like a banner as she raced towards Hotaru. The black haired young woman had a welcoming smile on her face, her polearm held ready with it's darkly glowing runes. "I will enjoy killing you," Hotaru confessed, "and consuming your life-force."
 
The polearm swung down but Setsuna parried with the dagger, the light pulsing around them both. "You don't have to do this," she offered gently, "there could be another way."
 
Hotaru reversed her weapon, slamming Setsuna across the jaw, "Fool, I embrace what the Oni have made of me!"
 
Knowing the others could handle themselves Usagi raced through the crowd, only slowing once she neared the throne itself. The sword slid free with a steely hiss, then Usagi held her katana at the ready as she said, "Defend yourself."
 
"I'm unarmed," the Queen spread her hands innocently.
 
"Somehow I doubt that," Usagi said coldly , holding her blade at the ready.
 
Touching the arm of her throne there was a soft click, then a concealed sword sheath popped from the side. Grabbing it Serenity charged, drawing the blade and striking with incredible speed. The swords met with a clang, Usagi staggered as much by the sense of corruption from the other blade as by her mother's strength.
 
"This is the sister blade to your own katana," Serenity said to her smugly, "and is more than an equal to you." Smoothly Serenity separated them then launched a series of strokes with the green-glowing blade that forced Usagi onto the defensive, driving her backward.
 
"No," Usagi braced herself, stopping her retreat and facing her mother.
 
Serenity smiled mockingly, "No?"
 
Usagi rose confidently, her eyes shining as she stood up straight. "No," she repeated then continued, "just having a sword doesn't make you my equal."
 
Serenity faltered slightly, whatever she saw in Usagi's eyes giving her pause, and seizing the moment Usagi attacked. Instead of letting her anger control her Usagi drew on her experience and training, channeling her anger to strengthen her. Step by step she drove the older, more capable swordswoman back even as the light of her blade grew brighter and brighter.
 
"No," Mamoru's eyes widened in alarm, turning away from Haruka and their battle as the queen visibly faltered.
 
Before he could have a chance to recover Haruka struck, her saber swept up, cutting him from the belly straight up, lightning exploding around them. "You don't get to make that sort of mistake with me," she said coldly.
 
"Damn you...." Mamoru managed before the world faded to black.
 
As more guards burst into the room Makoto raced to meet them, Rei's arrows arching up over her and into them even as she struck. Blood, both Oni's and hers stained the cloth binding her fists but she fought on with grim intensity, determined to hold them back.
 
Hotaru panted softly, her glave moving in slow circles as she studied Setsuna. "You're good," she said, "for such a mystic."
 
"As are you," Setsuna reached up to wipe some blood from her cheek, then licked it off the back of her hand. She seemed to disappear, moving with such speed that she almost teleported in front of Hotaru. But this time she didn't attack the girl, instead with a quickly chanted spell she attacked the enchanted blade of her weapon!
 
The bloody metal cracked, then shattered as it spewed forth black energy, pure negative force that exploded upwards into the cavern roof. A black miasma seemed to lift from Hotaru as the broken weapon fell from her grasp, clattering to the floor. Violet eyes wide with shock and horror Hotaru gasped, "What have I DONE?!"
 
"No," Serenity hissed, "the binding spell is broken!"
 
Taking advantage of her shock Usagi batted the Queen's blade aside then struck, slicing across Serenity's body in what was surely a fatal blow. Black blood gushed down her body as she gazed down at the wound then up at Usagi, mouth moving weakly... then she died.
 
The ground heaved under the Senshi as the realm shook wildly, stones rattling down from the ceiling. "What is...?" Rei blurted.
 
"The Queen was holding the Realm together," Usagi quickly realized, "and with her dying this place is falling apart!"
 
"We've got to go," Setsuna ordered, grabbing Hotaru in her arms and leading the charge back to where they had left the others.
 
Ami looked up in fear as they rounded the corner, then smiled in relief as she cried, "Makoto!"
 
"What are we, chopped liver?" Haruka asked as she hurried to Michiru's side, dodging another piece of falling rock.
 
Raising her dagger Setsuna called, "Usagi, your sword!"
 
Usagi drew her sword and crossed it over Setsuna's blade as the other woman chanted, words rippling across the chamber. The room buckled, rocks falling and as a bright light grew around them all... the cavern roof fell in with a loud crash.
 
To be continued....