Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Shitennou ❯ War ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

AN: My story comes to an end. I decided to write the couple out much as I wrote them in - with corresponding lyrics. Thank you to those who have read this far. I am not sure if I will get around to writing a sequel, but this story was important to me to tell. It did not end happily that fateful day on the Moon Kingdom. I didn't write that, Naoko Takeuchi did.Let me know if you think I should write what happens to Serenity and Endymion. Also, I really liked how this story turned out, please let other people know about it.
I do not own the characters or stories of Naoko Takeuchi. They are hers. I'm just borrowing them for a story.

Chapter 11: War
I never thought you were a fool
But darling, look at you
You gotta stand up straight, carry your own weight
These tears are going nowhere, baby.”
-- U2, Stuck in a Moment
Mina had finally cried herself to sleep in the early hours of the morning. The past week seemed a blur. She had trained to the point of exhaustion every day. She needed something to block out the pain she felt in her heart. Her body still cried out for Kunzite's touch. Her bed seemed too empty to sleep in. Mina had created a nest for herself on the floor in front of her fireplace. She slept cradling the Sword of the Moon like a doll each night.
The other senshi were not much better off. Ami had worked until her fingers had literally bled trying to get the transporter to work again. Mako and Rei had spent their days with Mina, sparring over and over again…breaking only to change guard duty for Serenity. In their off times, the Jovian Princess wandered through the kitchens, staring at the pots and pans but refusing to make anything. The fiery Princess from Mars spent her hours staring into the constant fire she had burning in the Shrine. The girls knew she was looking for a just a glimpse of Jadeite - hoping that he was okay and trying to find some clue as to where the men had gone.
Endymion did not fare much better. He occasionally stopped in to spar with the girls. He spent so much time trying telepathically communicate with the shitennouthat he gave himself a migraine and had to be placed in the Infirmary for the rest of the day.

Serenity woke earlier than her customary after breakfast hour. Without waking Endymion, she snuck out to the Royal Rose Garden, one of her favorite places for introspection or an occasional rendezvous. She was more than surprised then to find her mother there. Selenity was deep in thought. Seeing her daughter broke her trance.
“Come daughter, let us take a walk.” Selenity took Serenity's arm and they walked through the fragrant garden. They walked silently for awhile. The two women looked almost like twins from the back. They had thesame long, silvery hair. Selentiy was slightly taller, but there was a maturity and prescence emanating from both the women.
Selenity did not know exactly where to start. There were so many things she wanted to teach her daughter - so many things she wanted her daughter to experience. It seemed that Serenity and her friends had only had such a short time on this earth, “Serenity, I'm going to ask you a very personal question. Do you believe in reincarnation?”
Serenity thought a moment. The Moon Kingdom did not have a specific religion. People worshipped however they chose -- usually in the name of love and justice. The people of the Moon and the Universe each had their own customs and traditions. The Moon Kingdom had been a matriarchal society for as long as anyone could remember. There was also a certain amount of magic and mysticism that everyone recognized as a part of everyday life. Serenity had always thought the universe could provide an everlasting supply of new stars to be born - new souls to be created. Where did she fit in? What was her destiny?
“Well Mother. I'd like to think that it does exist. For example, I know that I will have many years to be with Endymion, but, that time is not infinite. I would hope in the future, no matter what that future was, that we would meet again. Does that answer your question?” Serenity was confused why her mother would be asking this.
“Yes, sweetheart, it does. Now, I think tomorrow we should begin your lessons with the Ginzuishou. The time has come for you to learn of its powers.”
“Really Mother?” Serenity could not hide the excitement in her voice. All her life Serenity had been around the precious object. She knew that one day it would be her duty to protect the Moon…and now, thinking of Endymion, the Earth as well.
“Yes my daughter. Come, let us return to the Palace, I think we have strayed too far. These are dangerous times.”

Endymion tried one last time to make contact with his Shitennou. He was sitting in bed, wondering where Serenity had gone and decided to use this time to his advantage. The room around him went black. Gradually his eyes adjusted to the darkness… Standing by the fireplace he saw his Generals. Yet, it wasn't exactly them. Their uniforms were different and they were transparent. They were kneeling and did not appear to notice Endymion. The Prince recognized what they were doing immediately - they were reciting a protection prayer. This was a tradition they had started since their first battle together. Battle? Who could they possibly be attacking? The Kingdom is at peace.
Kunzite, or rather the apparition of Kunzite, looked up and stared directly at Endymion. The silver haired General was too far gone to the Dark Kingdom to actually say anything, but the look he gave Endymion could only be described as exceedingly apologetic. What could he be so sorry for?
The Generals finished their prayer and stood up. The image faded, leaving Endymion with a lot to think consider…

Kunzite walked past the troops for one final inspection. This was the moment. They would not, could not fail this mission. Kunzite glanced behind him, and saw Beryl smiling down over the many troops. With his warrior instincts, Kunzite knew that he would not live to see the end of this day. As any soldier who has been into battle, Kunzite had pondered how and when the end of his life would come. He had been fortunate so far.
“ATTENTION!” Nephrite's voice rang out over the soldiers. The group came to attention. Nephrite nodded towards Beryl.
Her seductive, gravelly voice called out, “I expect nothing less than perfection. Today we will smite the Moon Kingdom for their insolence in trying to rule the Earth. Today you will protect the homes you have built and the families you have left behind. Make them proud!” With that, Beryl swept her robes and a giant black cloud engulfed the soldiers. Kunzite felt himself being lifted off the ground and up - quickly.

The time of the new moon was a slow one on the Kingdom. The people of the Moon much preferred when the Moon was full. At that point their power andenergy was the strongest. The senshi, Princess, Queen, and Prince had sat down for dinner. Without warning, lightning shot through the hall, thunder boomed loudly. It sounded as if the Moon was breaking apart. Everyone rushed to the window. So far away, they looked like ants, a large army was charging towards the palace. Behind them was an unnatural black cloud. The senshi exchanged a brief look. There was no mistaking the intent of the apporaching army.
“Venus Power!”
“Mars Power!”
“Jupiter Power!”
“Mercury Power!”
The transformations took place simultaneously. Power and energy crackled through the air. Queen Selenity looked toward her daughter and son-in-law, “You two come with me. Venus, hold them off as long as you can!” With that the royalty flew out of the room.
Venus looked around at the senshi. This was what their years of training had been for. “It will be better if we split up. Mars and Jupiter - you take the front entrance! Mercury - go to the back of the Palace and guard the rear entrance!”
Mars looked at Venus, “Where are you going to be?”
Venus gave them all a serious look, “I'm going out to welcome our guests.”

The generals had divided up the army into four separate commands. As they neared the Palace, Kunzite began to shout out orders, “Nephrite and Jadeite, breach the front door and find the Prince. Zoisite, take your group around the back, try and gain entry there.” The groups broke off one by one. Kunzite saluted each of his men as they rode away.
Venus walked out in front of the Palace. The sword of the Moon was at her side, she had gone to the armory to find a protective sheath…as she neared the battle field, it began to glow with an intense silver light, shining through the leather that encased it.
Kunzite, still a good distance away, yelled out, “Archers! Forward! Kill anything that stands in our way. Ready…aim…FIRE!!!”
Venuscalmly looked above her; the arrows were all tipped in poison and about to rain down on her.
“Venus Love me CHAIN!!!” She whipped the chain around, gathering all the arrows and sent them back towards the soldiers, hitting and paralyzing many of them. She immediately followed up the first attack, “Crescent beam SMASH!!” The beam shot out from her pointed finger. She used it repeatedly taking out soldier after soldier. See the still numerous soldiers that remained, Venus called on much of her power and screamed, "Venus LOVE and BEAUTY SHOCK!!"
The soliders never even knew what hit them.
Kunzite turned uncomfortably in his saddle. He had obviously overestimated the warrior in front of him.

Don't know why there's no sun up in the sky
Stormy weather
Since my man and I ain't together,
Keeps rainin' all the time
Life is bare, gloom and mis'ry everywhere
Stormy weather
Just can't get my poorself together.”
-- Billie Holiday, Stormy Weather
Mercury had headed off in the direction of the reflecting pools behind the Palace. She felt safest around water and was glad for the assignment. She didn't have to wait long. A battalion was soon upon her.
“SHABON spray!!!!”
A dense mist filled the area. The soldiers found it very difficult to breathe and many passed out due to a lack of oxygen. Those who managed to stay on foot soon wished they had joined their fellow soldiers.
“Shine Aqua ILLUSION!!”
The remaining soldiers were down before they knew what had hit them - they had drowned while on land. Mercury sighed. She hated the senseless loss of life, but she was prepared to do anything to protect her Princess.
Clap, clap, clap.
“Brilliant,” said a voice…the fog had not entirely cleared. Mercury could not see who was behind the voice, but it sounded hauntingly familiar. Using all of her senses, Mercury realized what was about to happen. She braced herself for an attack, while shouting out one of her own.
“Mercury AQUA RHADPSODY!” She concentrated all her energy at the blast. At that same moment she felt a sharp pain in her side. Mercury collapsed heavily looking down and saw her fuku stained in blood. She heard someone collapse next to her. Using the last of her strength she looked to see who her killer was. No…!!! Mercury felt another pain, this time it was in her heart. Zoisicte lay sprawled next to her…a bloody sword was in his hand. Mercury knew that the power of her attack had most likely cracked all of his ribs and was placing an unbelievable amount of pressure on his lungs. He was going to suffocate.
Not like this… What had happened to her lover? Mercury would have to discover the answer to that question in another life.

Here is the law of the land
You play with fire and you'll get burned
Here is the lesson I've learned
That you don't know what you've got til it's gone.”
- Madonna, One More Chance
Mars and Jupiter ran towards the front of the Palace. Mars looked at Jupiter, “Let's split up - you take the North Wing, I'll take the South wing!” Jupiter nodded at Mars and ran for the South Wing. Mars didn't have long to prepare for the attack. She sprung into action - a vision of red and black.
“Fire SOUL!!!”
The soldiers were caught unaware and many were burned to a crisp. Rei looked to the General who was leading this large group of warriors. He looked familiar somehow. Still more soldiers poured over on the fairgrounds in front of the Palace. Not on my watch…
“Burning MANDALA!!!!”
The fire burned with such intensity that the remaining soldiers simply caught on fire. They ran away from the Palace…seeking to put themselves out. From behind the crazed burning men, Jadeite was in shock. This one soldier had changed the tide of war in minutes. He thought of Beryl's orders…Jadeite spurred his horse into a gallop. He reached for his bow and arrow. Rei, on the ground, ashy and shaken, looked up to see someone riding hell bent at her. He was drawing a weapon. Instinct kicked in.
“Mars FLAME SNIPER!!!” Who did this man think he was? There was no way she would let him enter the Palace. Mars watched proudly as the arrow of fire hit the man squarely in the chest. Her moment of pride did not last long - she was knocked back from the force of the arrow that had hit her. As Mars fell to the ground, the man was thrown from the horse and landed next to her.
Jadeite…? But why…? So cold.

Oh now feel it comin back again
like a rollin' thunder chasing the wind
forces pullin' from the center of the Earth again
I can feel it.”
-- Live, Lightning Crashes
Jupiter heard flames behind her as she sprinted for the North wing. Mars was a vicious warrior. Jupiter had no doubt that the soldiers were in for a surprise from the Warrior of Fire. Not that I don't have a few tricks up my own sleeve… Jupiter concentrated. She looked out at what could only be described as a never ending wave of soldiers…whose sole intention was killing her and getting to her Princess. Energy crackled around the Jovian. She curled herself into a ball and released her attack -
“Supreme THUNDER!!!”
Lighting streamed out of her body and into the sea of soldiers. Thunder deafened anyone within a half mile radius. Jupiter surveyed the damage she had inflicted with pride. One shot…almost. There, in the distance, was one soldier who had withstood the attack. He walked calmly. Jupiter staggered backward as she tripped on the steps of the Palace. It can't be… But Jupiter would recognize those flowing auburn locks anywhere. Nephrite… Although she recognized him, not even a flicker of recognition passed over his features. There was one emotion she recognized in his features, hatred. As he walked calmly, he drew his sword.
Jupiter was at war with her emotions. Love…duty…honor…Princess. Choking back a sob, Jupiter dug deep for power. Closing her eyes she called out, “Sparkling wide PRESSURE!!!”
Nephrite dodged out of the way just in time. He was nearly on this Amazon who was trying to kill him.
Jupiter called her last reserve of power. It was difficult to come to terms with what she was about to do. Drawing a deep breath she screamed, “Jupiter OAK REVOLUTION!!” As soon as Nephrite heard her take a breath he flung his sword in her direction.
The lightning found its mark at the same time the sword did. Both aims were true.

I was standing
All alone against the world outside
You were searching
For a place to hide
Lost and lonely
Now you've given me the will to survive
When we're hungry...love will keep us alive.”
-- Eagles, Love Will Keep Us Alive
Venus battled on. Her voice was raw from yelling attacks. Through the battle she had felt the energy of her fellow scouts and their subsequent losses. Tears kept streaming down her face and she was powerless to stop them. All that mattered now was that her Princess was still alive. There seemed a temporary lull in the onslaught of warriors. Mina squinted her eyes and looked in the distance. A white horse with silver hair…a man on the horse with hair as silver as the horse. “Shadowfax?” Mina whispered the name. In her heart she couldn't accept who was on the horse.
Shadowfax shifted…he was unsettled. Beryl had got to the souls of men, but the soul of this animal was still very much his own. The stallion reared and bucked throwing Kunzite off his back. Kunzite landed with a thud on the ground over 10 feet away.
Across the distance, Mina cracked a brief smile. She better make sure this soldier was dead. She took a moment to clean the blade of the Sword. She limped toward the prone body in front of her…not wanting to identify who it was.
As she walked, her short life flashed in front of her eyes. How lucky I've been…I have some of the most wonderful friends. For a short time, I had the most wonderful man… The wonderful man she was thinking of was now at her feet. No…
Kunzite came awake immediately, drawing his sword and attacking the person who had been standing above him. Mina instinctively parried the blow. The Sword of the Moon easily destroyed the platinum haired Generals measly Earth sword. Kunzite looked around. There was a chunk of rock near his feet. The only way to fight fire is with fire…

Inside the Palace, Endymion paced. Queen Selenity had fled to retrieve the Ginzuishou and its scepter. He and Serenity had waited; they had not been able to escape feeling the deaths of their senshi and Shitennou. Serenity had began crying softly, “They died to protect me.”
Endymion looked over to his wife, “It was their duty - their life.” Endymion continued pacing, “We have to get out of here. Staying in this room is just senseless!!”
Serenity answered as the voice of reason, “They died so that we would stay safe in here. We owe it to them to remain out of harms way.”
Endymion thought a minute. Every fiber of his being called him to do what he could to protect Serenity and take revenge on those who had caused her so much pain. “Not necessarily. You and I are powerful. Let's lend our powers to help the cause. I can't not do anything!!! These are my men.”
Serenity looked out the window onto the Moon. She stood up straight and told Endymion, “Yes, let us help protect my people and try our best to heal yours.”
Endymion extended his hand to Serenity. They made their way to the front of the Palace. As they walked through the front doors, chaos spread out in front of them. Bodies lay everywhere. The Palace was mostly in ruins from the powerful attacks the senshi had resorted to using. About a quarter mile away, they could see Kunzite and Venus locked in battle. Serenity turned her eyes and buried herself into Endymion's chest, “Not like this…”
With her eyes turned away, Serenity heard a woman's scream followed by an inhuman voice yell out, “Nooooooooo!” Serenity could not take it any longer. She broke free of Endymion's embrace and ran towards Venus.
Venus lay on the ground. She was dying. Something in Kunzite had slipped when he delivered the killing blow to his former lover, “Nooooooooooooo!” Kunzite recognized the woman at his feet. Her blonde hair was limp and chopped in certain places. Her fuku was torn and bloodied…but it was his Mina.
Venus opened her eyes. Was Kunzite crying? He was coming over to her. What more could he do…? Venus's primal instincts kicked in -- summoning the last of her strength, Mina lifted the Sword of the Moon and thrust it into Kunzite as he bent over her.
He whispered, “I love you.”
Mina screamed her last word, “SHITENNOU!!!!”
Fin.