Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Some Bruises Don't Fade ❯ Rise of Aethena ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Some Bruises Don't Fade
By Lady Amber

Well.. Here is the second part. I hope you're enjoying this. Warning, the first coupla chapters of this one are.. kinda.. bloody.. Sorry, it's to make a point.. ^^.. Also there is a very mature scene in this one. Don't come crying to me if it offends you, ok? It's your decision. No, It's not on camera, it's heavily limed though.. Remember, comments and criticism go here: amby-chan@sailormoon.com.. PLEASE!... ^.- I love mail!..

Part Two: Rise of Aethena

PreChapter: Downtown Tokyo, Monday Night
Shadows all around her. She stood, pipe gripped in hand, tears in her eyes. 'He is evil.. Why I am protecting him? If the Scouts are right, he wants to destroy the whole world!! Yet I can't help feel that they're wrong.. He mustn't be evil.. I wouldn't care for him so if he was..'
'Would I?' She shook her head furiously, watching the ever growing pack of the shadow beasts, one of whom had attacked her in the park. One that would never fight again. Her ribs ached. They weren't yet healed, and they HURT... She shouldn't be doing this.. She should let the Sailors protect her..
Yet what could they do? She'd heard them. They fought until they died, taking out as many of these Shadow beasts as they could.. She was going to die.. Why couldn't she DEAL with it? She was going to die..
'Good-bye miserable world.. Glad to see you go..' She shook bitter tears from her eyes, growling in helpless rage. 'But.. I.. I never got to tell him..' She looked down, down at the man who she'd come to...
Love.
She loved him. She realized it with a terrible lurch in her heart. They were going to die, and just now she realized that she loved him and would never get a chance to tell him. Now tears were streaming down her face openly as she dropped her pipe, falling to her knees next to him.
She lifted his head and put it on her lap, smoothing back obsidian hair from his coal black eyes. A tear from her eye fell onto his cheek and rolled down it.
"Good-bye, Jake." She whispered.
The Shadows attacked.

Chapter One; Downtown Tokyo, Monday Night
"MARS FLAME SNIPER" Sailor Mars leaped over one Shadow and took three down. A bite on one leg was bleeding down, over her thin legs and splattering on the ground. She was bruised from a heavy fall, and panting.
"AQUA RHAPSODY" Sailor Mercury cried desperately, taking four down with her large area freezing attack. She was limping, the tendons on one of her legs severed. Her face was pale, she was barely standing. She fell.. Didn't rise.
"OAK REVOLUTION" Jupiter was sweating, surrounded on all sides. She had multiple, tiny, many different cuts all over, and her uniform was soaked, caked with blood. Her chest was heaving, each breath hurt to take in.
"LOVE AND BEAUTY SHOCK" Venus smiled in grim satisfaction as four more fell to her shock therapy. She was holding one arm, gripping it fiercely. It was broken, and a shard of white bone was protruding through her skin. Blood was flowing.
"DEEP SUBMERGE" cleared the area directly in front of Neptune. Fighting back to back with Uranus, Neptune and her partner weren't doing as well as they'd like. Neptune's face was taunt with pain, there was a small, circular pattern of teeth marks where one Shadow had grabbed her arm roughly, bleeding down over her arm, to the ground.
"WORLD SHAKING" Uranus' chest was heaving, her face was pale with pain. A hideous gash split the collar on her chest, her bow was in ruins. With each heartbeat, she lost more blood. She was going to die soon.
"DEADLY SCREAM" Pluto stood alone again, her scream flying again and again. The wolves were drawn back from her. Here was a warrior to be reckoned with. While she was standing of course. And with the broken leg inflicted by one of the bolder, dead wolves, that wouldn't be long.
"SILENCE GLAIVE SURPRISE" and "PINK SUGAR HEART ATTACK" intertwined, forming almost a protective sphere around the two, younger Scouts. Minimoon was panting, crying, pain in her eyes as she held Saturn up.
Saturn's arm was a mangled mess. So was Minimoon's shoulder. The tiny soldier scout could hardly use her wand, but she did, again and again and again, until the whole thing was a mirage of hopeless death and devastation.
"MOON GORGEOUS MEDITATION" Sailor Moon cried, watching as her attack staved off the wolves surrounded her and her love, Tuxedo Mask. The dark clad avenger was fighting, roses and his cane flying fast and hard. But he was panting, suffering from a dozen deep gashes. Sailor Moon was gripping her own ribs, after a smashing collision thanks to one of the other wolves.
And then, one by one, the Sailor Scouts fell. Mercury was first. Then Venus. Mars. Minimoon. Saturn. Jupiter. Pluto. Uranus. Neptune. And finally, hanging onto the bitter end, Tuxedo Mask fell at the feet of his loved one. Sailor Moon stood, wavering.
'The Crystal.. I.. I have to use it.. I can.. I have to.. use.. the Cryst.. al..' And she too fell, blessed oblivion claiming her breath, her life, her brilliant soul.
The Shadow Wolfbeasts stood victorious, and then turned their attentions to the one remaining soul who stood between them and revenge, taking over this pitiful planet.
Belle.

Chapter Two; Monday Night, Downtown Tokyo
'They.. they aren't attacking me?? Why??' She twisted, and saw the Scouts fighting. God, she could smell the blood from here. Her stomach twisted, and she turned, retching at the sight of Mercury's bloody corpse.
Tears, salty and burning, ran down her cheeks. 'Why? They were only trying to protect me.. Even if they were wrong, they meant well.. The.. The Earth doesn't stand a chance... without them..'
She turned and buried her face in her hands, her tears falling like rain. Behind her, the last one of the Sailor Scouts fell. Sailor Moon's last words were, "It can't end this way.."
And then the Sailor died. She was dead, her heart still, her limbs stiff, her body cold. Belle couldn't believe it. She should have been dead herself first! Not the Sailor of the Moon!
"No.." She moaned, her back bent with the enormous grief that took hold of her soul and weighed it down. She sobbed, and felt as if she could die. Right here, from nothing more than pure grief.
"It is finished." The Shadow wolf leader said, moving forward out of the darkness, his muzzle stained with blood. He himself had killed Sailor Moon herself. Belle's heart surged with hate at the evil, foul sight of him, grinning in pleasure at the deaths of so many pure souls, beautiful souls.
"The only thing that stands between us, and the rest of the world, is you." The wolf said bluntly, pacing around her, his tail flicking like a passing shadow. She watched him, saying nothing, the enormous grief she felt being slowly changed into raging anger, hatred. Putrid yellow eyes flicked to her. "You must die now Belle. We do not want to disobey our Master, but you stand between us and being able to conquer this world. We will purge it clean of the life that stole his and die in his name. But you.. You, first, must die."
He came to a stop directly in front of her, yellow eyes staring, boring into her skull. She mustered the immense hatred she felt, and her own gaze became hot, searingly intense. The Shadow Lord chuckled. "I will enjoy this task."
And then he leaped at her, her open throat his target.
Moving Jake's head from her lap, she stood then, something strange happening to her. Her bare hand raised.
"NO." Her voice was but a whisper, but clear. Clear as a bell. The very air around her shivered as her bangs rose in an unforeseen wind. A shining glow surrounded her. Her aura, shining silver.
The Shadow wolf hit a wall, and stopped, suspended in midair. He squirmed, unable to do much more, held by invisible restraints, easy prey. She looked at him, almost curiously, all the emotions building in her suddenly breaking like a wave, a sudden explosion.
The very air shivered and quaked. The whole world, the whole universe felt the pull, and for one instant, all fighting stopped, and all of humanity was of one mind, one accord: Peace. Life. And then, the wave had passed, vibrating the strings, the chords of life, humanity, reality and then disappearing like a wraith.
The ripples in the air were like a puddle. A calm surface at first, but then, something drastic happened, something tore the peaceful surface into chaos, and the ripples spread outwards, like a growing crescendo of pure, raw emotion.

Chapter Three; Thread Room, Time Gates Realm, Same time
The threads of the strings were vibrating, one single thread interwoven with every other thread, yet not touching any. The paradox. The puzzle of her existence.
The bane of her existence. But now she'd found it. The paradox, the soul that Was yet Was Not. That Touched but Touched Not. The tapestry weaver who unwove as her nimble fingers plucked the threads and reconnected them.
She watched, in horrid fascination as the ripple spread, throughout the very air, the mists. Shaking the Past, and descending indeterminably into the Future.
This was her student. This was the paradox that the universe had endowed with such power. The soul who had no love given, yet spilled over with love for all of creation. In one instant, this Chylde undone many of the threads she worked so hard to weave.
In one instant, the Chylde had changed the entire arrangement of the room. She did what took the Weaver an Infinity to do in a single second. She changed Time forever.
And in that one moment, a single thread broke. And throughout the entire Reality, all of the Universes, all of the Dimensions, the Galaxies, the Earths, the planets.. All of civilization and life felt the pull, and felt the change descend over them.
The Weaver knew the futility of trying to undone what had just taken place. It was like trying to move a mountain with just a tooth pick. Possible, but not worth the effort, the Time, the Eternity it would take to correct it.
'Damn! Damn her! I be the only entity that may change the events of Time! How DARETH she! The foul mortal, the tarnished soul! Blast her and her power!!'
The Weaver didn't know jealousy when she met it.

Chapter Four; Tuesday Morning, Tsukino residence
Serena screamed, bolting upright in her bed. Next to her, Luna raised a sleepy head, blinking her ruby eyes wonderingly. Serena's chest was heaving, her hair was matting to her head, slick with sweat. She turned. The sun was shining in on her, birds were singing as the dawn rose over the city skyline. She blinked, her hands flying to her chest.
"What is it Serena?" Luna asked groggily, noting the frown on her protégé's face. Serena looked at Luna, who rose to her feet, and then blinked again, shaking her head.
"No.. nothing I guess.. It was all just.. just a bad dream I guess.." She shook her head, laughing half heartedly. "Wow...This is really weird. I have the funniest feeling that something's not right.. Kinda like.. like something bad happened, but.. but it hasn't." She fixed a gaze on Luna. Luna sweatdropped, shaking her head.
"It sounds like the chili dogs are talking Serena.." The cat looked up at Serena, smiling. "You DID pig out on almost the entire carton.." Serena frowned.
"Chili dogs?" She didn't remember anything about chili dogs.. Luna sweatdropped.
"Yes... the chili dogs you and the other girls bought at your little party at Ami's house last night. Remember? You came home early because you ATE too much..." Serena blinked as the memories came flooding back into her brain. Of course, last night, they'd all been at Ami's house, and for supper, Ami had ordered some American Chili Dogs. She, as usual, had eaten half of the entire order, and then had had to catch the bus home, sick.
"Oh.. yeah.. OK.. Well, I guess I'd better get ready for school huh Luna?" She giggled. "I bet Miss Sisaki will freak when she sees me get there fifteen minutes early!!" Luna sweatdropped.
"I.. I don't think that's going to be happening.." Serena stared at her cat.
"Wha-? WHY??" Serena demanded. Luna nodded at the clock.
"Because you're already fifteen minutes late." Serena was on her feet within two seconds, her scream rattling the house as she pounded down the stairs in her usual morning Triathlon...

Chapter Five; Juuban High School, Tuesday
Belle sat in the back of the classroom, head down, staring at her hands. She could feel it: the beautiful Warrior was stirring.. She was weak, oh so weak.. But the Warrior was alive.
Miss Sisaki glanced at her, a bit worriedly, still vexed over the results, rather, lack of results of their conversation. Serena was, amazingly, already in class, talking animatedly to Molly and Melvin. Ami read a piece of interesting trivia to Lita and the others, all of whom looked confused, sweatdropping while Ami looked amazed.
Belle noted their carefree, happy expressions, the lack of fear or vexation in their postures. So she was right.. It had worked. They were carefree while she.. she...
"Alright class let's get going.. Serena, please, back to your seat. Your SEAT Serena, NOW!! Bill, Sarah.. just sit.. Come on people SIT DOWN! LINDSAY!!!!!" The guilty, a pretty redhead, blushed and sat down, sweatdropping and blushing.
Miss Sisaki nodded. "Thank you Lindsay. Now, class, we have a very important class today. We will be learning Japanese histor-" The phone rang, loudly. Miss Sisaki frowned. "Oh dear.. Hold on class, I will be right back." She smiled and picked up the phone. "Yes, Miss Sisaki's class? .. Why yes she is.. An emergency??.. Really??.. Oh.. well I guess that's ok.." She hung up and then turned back to the class, her eyes kind of thoughtful. "Belle? Your father is here to pick you up. He's in the headmistress' office. Death in the family he said. Go on, I'll send your work home with a student later."
Belle rose, and the students watched her gather her stuff up, some just beginning to realize she even existed. Others, like Serena, knew trouble was brewing. Belle felt her terror rising inside of her. She hadn't expected her father to come for her.. She hadn't even considered it.. It had been pushed to the back of her mind with last night's developments.
A kind of cold numbness swept through her soul, and she seemed to stop feeling. Time slowed as she walked through the halls towards the entrance, her heart pounding in her ribs. She fought the feelings of doom that encroached on her, feelings of fear fighting to sink their icy fingers into her soul.
She approached the Headmistress's office slowly, praying fervently that her ominous feelings were wrong. 'Oh God, please.. please let it be Jake.. please...' She stepped into the office.
They were right.
Looking amazingly sober for once, her father rose stiffly, a plastic smile on his face, only because the Headmistress was there, staring at them both suspiciously. Belle knew that Mrs. Kayon had talked to HER as well.
"Darling! Pumpkin! Poochums!!" He cried loudly, flinging his arms around Belle's neck as if he was mourning someone. "Its.. It's terrible Belle.." He sobbed, and then turned to the Headmistress, wiping false tears from his eyes. Belle did her best to look sad. She didn't need to be relocated in an orphanage right now...
"Thank you Headmistress.. Thank you so very much for allowing me to take her. Our family will be flying to Fukuoka for a while, to attend dear Grandmother Gracie's funeral. I'll get back to you. Arigato (*thank you) once again." His hands locked onto Belle's shoulders, his fingers digging cruelly into her flesh. Her face remained sad but impassive.
He lead her out the door, making a big hullabaloo about how he was so sad about Gracie's death. Belle's face hardened. Her Grandmother Gracie had died when she was ten. Her father didn't even raise an eyebrow. They didn't go to the funeral, even though Belle had loved her Grandmother dearly.
He stopped speaking as he lead her out of the school, just sniffing occasionally as a school official looked at them. Belle was trembling, her shoulder was going numb and aching. He didn't even speak as he opened the back door of his pickup truck and threw her in.
His eyes were murderous again as he glared at her from the front seat of the truck, kicking it brutally into gear. "I don' know where the #@$% yeh've been but Ah ain't gonna take no more o'dis SHIT!" Belle was flung against the side of the truck as he whipped around a corner, crying out in pain. He didn't care. "The house's a meyss an' yer mutter ain't gone t'werk in DAYS!! Yeh think yew kin go off trap'sizin' around an' leave us 'angin'?? I don' $%$#&%^ think so!!"
Belle cowered in the back of the truck as her father ranted on and on about what he was going to do to her, shaking with her fear. Her father wasn't one to be crossed. She once had talked back to him. She shivered, remembering the five broken bones she'd come away with. She told the hospital she'd fall out of a tree. "NO $^%*& SCHOOL!" was the first thing he bellowed at her, accompanied by another sharp turn. "YER GONNA WORK ALL $Y^&% DAY!! AND NO SNEAKING THE @#%*?! OFF, D'Y'EAR ME???" He carried on all the way home, screaming every obscenity there was in the book at her, threatening her within her very life. His rage outshadowed her own, her terror overwhelming her.
They screeched to a stop and she dashed from the truck before he could catch her, her only goal now was to flee, get away from her father, go anywhere.. He, however, grabbed her, slapped her, and threw her into the house, stomping in after her.
"GET TO YOUR GODDAMNED ROOM!" He bellowed, and she did, in a hurry, skinning her knee when she ducked a cup flung at her. She scrambled upstairs, thoughts of going to the roof and escaping that way running from her mind when she found he'd nailed the door shut. He was stomping up after her, screaming still. She fled into her room, slamming the door shut behind her. She pressed her back to the wall and stared at the door.
'God.. please.. please don't let him come in.. please...' He pounded on the door, screamed at her for a few moments more, and then, there was the heavy sound of something sliding in front of the door and him ambling away.
She flew to the door, turning it and shoving against it. It was locked, probably barred from the outside. Like a caged bird, she desperately looked around, for any escape, to discover her windows had been nailed shut and the emergency fire escape had also received similar treatment.
She collapsed onto her bed, sobbing.
She was trapped.

Chapter Six; Saturday night, Kouheino residence
The week the followed was torture, plain and simple. Her father barricaded her only escape route, the front door, and burdened her with chores beyond her wildest nightmares. She worked night and day, her father rousing her before dawn and not letting her quit until far into the night. He never seemed to run out of things for her to do: wash this, clean that, fix this, iron that, cook this, scour that.
Several times the door rang, and she imagined she heard Serena's voice, but her father never let her anywhere near the door, often shutting her in a different room before answering the door. Several times he ended up screaming at whoever it was, and Belle's plight never reached any ears.
She never smiled now, never feeling anything but pain, fatigue, and anger. Her hands were red and blistered, her arms and legs aching from constant scrubbing, and body throbbing from lack of sleep.
So when her father finally let her go to her room early Saturday night, she welcomed the chance for rest without complaint or back remarks. Easing into her room, she listened as the familiar sound of her father slamming the bar he'd made for the door down into its lock.
She sat down on her bed, next to the window, watching the darkening sky through her nailed-shut windows. She breathed deeply, reveling in the chance just to sit, relax, and do nothing. She listened to the sounds of her father getting drunk again, and heard her mother's voice too, along with the voice of some other man she recognized from the gruntings and squealings that often drifted in from her mother's room.
How long she sat there she didn't know; the clock on her wall had been stuck on three for weeks now. Ever since that day Jake had found her. Jake.. A pang of longing shot through her. She'd thought that surely by now he would have come found her, come rescued her from her father's terror. She knew he didn't know where she lived, but surely he could have found out easily...
Maybe.. maybe he welcomed the chance to get rid of her. The thought was so terrible, so incredibly hurtful, that she tried to push it from her mind, but for some reason, it kept coming back. Jake.. Maybe he didn't like her like she liked him.. Maybe he had just been taking care of her because he had to, not because he enjoyed her company.
'NO!' She screamed in her mind, fighting back the waves of depression that washed over her. She brought up memories of her and Jake, memories that felt like they'd taken place a millennia ago. Memories of her first ice cream split ever, and how Jake had had to help her finish it. Memories of how he looked at her when he took her to that restaurant she'd always dreamed of going to. Of how he held her close during a baseball game when the temperature had dropped sharply. Happy memories. Memories of being safe, warm, cared for.
Depression and happiness waged a war within her, and she found that she was exhausted beyond belief. She pulled the covers up over her, sinking happily down into her bed, hands behind her head as she stared up at the ceiling.
Long ago she'd learned how to block out the noise emanating from the rest of the house. So she no longer heard the sounds coming from her mother's room, or the sounds of her father getting drunker than a dog and crashing into things. She fell asleep just as an argument erupted in her mother's room, resulting in her mother's client being thrown out into the hall.
So, she was asleep when the bar on her door slowly lifted, even though her house was far from quiet. She woke slowly, muttering to herself sleepily, raising her head and blinking back the light that invaded her dark sanctuary. The intruder, a bulky, brawny man, was obviously drunk, muttering to himself. She blinked. What was her mother's client doing in her room?
She stared at him sleepily, not thinking, brain fogged by the last vestiges of her deeply exhausted slumber. As he stumbled across the room, she finally placed his voice with his name and identity. Jim Jaako, a former drinking buddy of her father's and one of her mother's top clients.
He stumbled, and faltered heavily as Belle sat up, staring at him. And suddenly, he fell across her. She finally realized what his intent was as he awkwardly moved onto her, tossing the covers from her bed.
His mouth sought hers, and she slapped at his face frantically. He caught both of her arms, pinning them easily under his massive, sweaty chest. She squirmed, screaming, his mouth finding her neck and latching on like a leech, sucking hungrily. She screamed again, trying to drive her knee into his groin, but his bare legs twisted around hers, holding her down. She screamed as loudly as she could, again and again as his groping hands started to move where they didn't belong. He was drunk, the alcohol heavy on his breath, the breath that breathed into her face, enjoying his little "fun" as he pulled at the front of her thin night gown, shoving against her, hard. She squeezed her eyes shut tightly, mind and body numbed by wracking pain and pure terror, praying desperately for a miracle, any miracle, as the front of her nightgown began to tear.
And then, suddenly, the door slammed open again, and a shadow fell across them. Jim was lifted off of her, his hands leaving her, flailing as Jake, eyes alight with pure fury, flung him across the room and into the wall as easily as if Jim were a stick.
Jim staggered to his feet, bellowed like a wounded bull, and charged Jake. Belle's savior sidestepped easily, and as Jim passed, grabbed the other's bare neck and swung him around, using his own momentum against him. Jim hit the wall in front of Belle's bed with a resounding bang, sliding down into a little lump on the floor.
Belle, her cheeks streaked with tears of pain, gorgeous white blonde tresses spilling down around her, was shaking like a leaf in a gale, curled up in a protective little ball on her bed, still numb, sobbing. Jim rose, steadying himself by laying a hand on Belle's headboard. Jake started towards him, but suddenly, Jim seized Belle again. She screamed, her light weight nothing to the drunk as he pulled her to him.
A metal glint and a slight rustling sound accompanied the drawing of his knife, which he pressed against Belle's neck, a thick, beefy arm around her waist. "Don' move or Ah'll kill th' 'ore.." Belle cried out as the cold steel dug deeper into her skin. The knife, had it been sharpened, would have kill her, but now, dulled from constant misuse, it bit into her neck, a scarlet drop of blood staining the steel.
"Stop it right there Jim. Leave her alone... Or I swear, you spill another drop of her pure blood and I will dismember you slowly, limb by limb, starting with your only reason for being called a man." Jim stared at him, and then laughed victoriously as he slowly started backing towards the door, Belle still in his grip.
Jake glared at Jim, his eyes blazing with pure fury as pain crossed his face at the sight of his beloved Rose.. He could sense her terror, the way her tiny chest was heaving, the tears streaming down her cheeks. This was not just fear, this was pure, primal terror, for her very being.. He cursed himself for not pushing his minions faster, to find her quicker and save her this agony.. This drunk's attentions.. Her father must have worked her overtime, abusing her every step of the way. More bruises than ever before discolored her limbs, her fair skin, and one eye had a dark black bruise beneath it. Her nightgown, threadbare, was ripped, and too short in the arms and legs for her. She looked half starved, paler and thinner than he'd ever seen her. She was incredibly weak too; he couldn't sense her powers any more, and she moved with a slow anguish that gave proof to her exhaustion.
The man, the drunken, goddamned idiot, motioned with his head, and Jake raised his hands slowly as he backed away from the door. Even while the man held his knife to her neck, his other hand was still groping her thin waist. Jake felt his rage building, trying to control it lest he harm Belle too..
Jim's dim eyes took on a victorious light as he backed out the door, Belle still in his grasp. Jim stepped out of the threshold of the door, laughed, and suddenly released Belle. She stumbled as Jim turned her around, and then, laughing, stuck her hand down his shorts.
"Tha's wot a REAL man feels loike.." Jake started towards him with a furious snarl, and Jim lifted Belle again, flinging her from him towards Jake. Jake caught her, sinking with her to the ground as Jim fled the room, and the house.
Jake smiled grimly as a howl reached his ears. Jim was getting his pay: the Darkness' Shadows would be sure to that. He would suffer, long and slow.. Jim screamed.
Belle sobbed, burying her head in Jake's chest, shaking still, and once again the feeling washed over Jake that he could very easily kill everyone in the world except Belle and not feel the slightest bit guilty of it. "Jake.." She whispered, and right then, Jake felt his heart lurch. She wrapped her arms around him, hiding her face from the world as he slowly rocked her, smoothing back her luxurious hair, slick with cold sweat, and holding her gently. He lifted her face to his, kissing away her tears, and.. she smiled.
"Jake.. I.. I thought you.. I thought you'd never come.." She whispered. "Jake.."
"Sssh.." He soothed her, stroking her cheek comfortingly. "I'm here now.. And I'll never let you go again.. I swear... Sssh.. Just relax, I'm right here, see?" He pressed his lips to her forehead, and felt the tension flee from her limbs.
"Jake.." Belle whispered, and the sound of his name was like the most soothing elixir on her tongue, making her feel warm and wanted. He kissed her forehead again, and Belle felt the last vestiges of fear bleed from her limbs, and she sank into a blissful sleep.

Chapter Seven; Tsukino residence, Sunday night
Serena hmmed and stared at the Algebra book, sighing. She glanced at the clock, sighed again, and shut the book, amazed at how long she'd been sitting and studying.. Luna was already asleep.
There was a knock on the door, and Serena's head came up. "Yes?"
"Serena?" It was Reenie's voice. Serena leaped to her feet and opened the door. Reenie came in, carrying a large silver tray, laden with chocolate chip cookies and creamy looking milk. Serena smiled thankfully, rubbing her forehead.
Diana trotted in after Reenie, back from her stay at Mina's. Reenie grinned as the tiny gray kitten leaped to the pink haired girl's shoulder. "I brought you some milk an' cookies Moon Momma.. and.. some good,.. and bad news.." Serena blinked, alert again.
"Thank you Reenie." Serena set the tray on her table, and patted the bed next to her. Reenie grinned happily and plopped down on the bed next to the other blonde.
"So, what's the bad news first?" Serena asked after they had eaten the milk and cookies and were laying back on the bed, relaxing. Reenie rolled to her stomach, petting a purring Diana.
"I have to go back to the future soon. My training is almost finished, and Momma and Poppa will be needing my help." Reenie blinked back tears. "Puu told me yesterday."
Serena looked stunned. She'd imagined that this day would come, but never like this, and she'd never dwelt on it. But she took a deep breath, and instead of wailing, nodded slowly. "I knew that was coming sometime.. I'm glad you came back here for training anyways.." She smiled at Reenie. "Just don't forget me ok?"
Reenie laughed. "How could I, odango atama?? You're my mother.. Just think, you'll see me again I promise!" Serena laughed at this and nodded, smiling as she urged Reenie to continue with the good news. "Jake stopped me when I was walking with Darien." Serena bolted up right.
"And??" She breathed.
"He found Belle! He said she's really in bad shape, but she'll be alright." Her eyes took on a hurt look. "But he told Darien to tell the Scouts that he never wanted to see ANY of them EVER again.. And he also told him to tell Sailor Moon brat that it was her fault he'd lost Belle and that if she ever interfered again.. He.. He'd kill us all.."
Serena relaxed back on the bed, absorbing this with calm pain. 'Oh.. what do I do now? I have to destroy Darkness, or else the Earth will be destroyed and the future changed. Reenie might even cease to exist!!..' Tears sparkled in her eyes. 'Oh God, please.. tell me what to do..'
Reenie curled up next to her mother, both silent.
The night fell, covering them with her gentle embrace, and the two drifted into troubled sleep...

Chapter Eight; Monday midmorning, Apartment 13
Belle didn't go to school Monday. She was still too weak, even though she was feeling a lot better, to put up with all the stares she knew her bruises and disappearance would bring. Jake stayed home with her Sunday, but when Monday came, she convinced him to go back to work, that she was alright.
She sat on the comfy leather sofa in front of the bigscreen television in his apartment, watching TV, her mind not really there. She sighed deeply, breathing in the slight smell of his cologne on the air.
She rose, turned, and saw a fifty dollar bill sitting on the counter. She frowned; she'd missed that before, when she was getting breakfast. There was a tiny slip of white paper next to it.
She picked up the note, reading "Dearest flower," She paused. He nearly always called her flower or rose.. It was sort of like a pet name, even though she never could figure out why. "Go to the mall today, and buy yourself some new clothes. The ones we salvaged I threw away. I hope you don't mind." She didn't. "I have something to ask you tonight. With all of my love, Jake." She clutched the note to her chest. 'With all his love..' She sighed, and smiled widely, picking up the crisp fifty dollar bill, which looked as if it had never been used before.
Ten minutes later, she had on a shirt that Jake had talked her into buying. It was a light pink, and had a cute cartoon kitten with big blue eyes, and the words "Absolutely PUUUURR-fect" written above and below the picture. (I have that shirt!! ^^) She also wore a white miniskirt with white bobby socks and sandals. She pulled her purse off of the coat rack, fishing out the set of keys Jake had given to her. She adjusted her glasses, and fixed her hair, and left the apartment, shutting the door quietly and locking it.
She turned around and walked quickly down the hall. Just as she started to round the corner, a young man suddenly appeared out of nowhere. She gasped, flying backwards, but his hand shot out and steadied her. Her glasses hit the ground in back of her.
"Oh I'm so so..rry..." He began, trailing off as he saw her eyes, lavender and enchanting. He picked up her glasses and handed them to her. With a small "arigato" of thanks, Belle fixed her glasses, and stared up at the man she had knocked into. Black hair, not at all like Jake's, which was straight, but kind of curly, fell over two gorgeous cerulean eyes. She blinked, and smiled shyly, not being able to help but feel she'd met, or at least seen, him before.
"Gomen nasaii(*sorry)," he said, executing a quick bow. "I'm Darien Sheilds. I don't believe we've met." He said, with an arch of one eyebrow, and she smiled a bit shyly.
"Belle Kouheino." She said softly. "It's a pleasure." Darien stared at her.
"Belle Kouheino?" He repeated questioningly. "Aren't you staying with Jake?"
"Yes," She nodded. "I am."
"Is he home? I have to talk to him." Darien said seriously, and Belle stared at him. 'He knows Jake? Does he work with him? Or is he one of Jake's friends?' Her eyes narrowed. 'I don't think so. I can't help but feel he's not on Jake's side.. Whatever side that is..'
"No." She said firmly. "He's at work." She didn't offer more, and Darien frowned at the abrupt change in her.
"Well, do you know where he works?" She stared at him. 'He's like the Energizer bunny!! He doesn't shut up!'
"No." She said, and then executed a quick bow. "Gomen nasaii, Darien-san, but I have shopping to do. If you'll excuse me." She started to brush by him, but he caught her arm. She turned back to him. "Yes?" She asked curtly.
"I'll.. walk with you.." He said, regarding her curiously. She stared at him a moment more, and he ventured, "That would be alright, wouldn't it?"
She frowned, and finally, said, "You may." 'He.. he reminds me of.. Of Tuxedo Mask.. I must watch him closely. If he is Tuxedo Mask, he might try and hurt Jake.' She smiled faintly. 'If he tries anything, I'll make sure it never happens again.'
The two walked down the hall, Darien making polite conversation, amazed at the quickness of Belle's mind. They entered the bright sunlight and light breeze of the outside world, and Belle started towards the shopping center. Once again, he caught Belle's arm. Belle turned back to him, suppressing a shudder at his touch. He noticed, but said nothing.
"May I drive you?" He offered, gesturing to the sparkling red car parked in his Apartment's driveway slot. She shook her head, pasting a fake smile on her face.
"No, I'd much rather walk, arigato (*thank you). Ja ne (*goodbye) Darien-san." She turned and walked away, the sunlight sparkling off her white blonde hair. Darien watched her go with a reflective expression, leaning against his car for a moment. Then he realized he was late, and jumped into his car, driving off.

Chapter Nine; Monday after school, downtown Tokyo, shopping plaza
Lita and Rei were walking down the sidewalk, bargain hunting (and occasionally hunk hunting) when they saw Mina and Artemis, both in a heated argument. Apparently, Mina was trying to talk Artemis into a cat collar, but Artemis would hear nothing of it.
Rei smiled at the close of the argument, which ended with neither talking to the other. "Well, now.. why don't we go get banana sundaes?" She smiled widely. "Sound good?"
"Alright!!" Mina and Lita chorused, Mina volunteering info on a brand new ice cream shop. The other three decided that it sounded great, and then they were off.
Mina bought a triple Death-by-chocolate, Lita a peanut butter fudge, and Rei got a soft twist. Lita gave Artemis some of her ice cream, and the three sat and talked for a while, trading gossip and stories. Seemingly, Mina and Lita had both dated the same guy a while ago-- the same guy that Rei was dating now..
"wow.. Small world.." Mina commented. Lita and Rei both agreed, Lita rubbing Artemis' belly. The white cat was on his back, paws in the air, purring contentedly (and snoring).
Rei's head suddenly snapped up, and the other two looked at her. "Rei??" Mina asked. "What do you feel Rei, what is it?" Rei shook her head, motioning for them to be quiet. And then it reached their ears, the tiny, faraway cries for help. All three stood immediately, and headed towards the alley way.
"MARS CRYSTAL POWER" Rei yelled.
Lita cried "JUPITER CRYSTAL POWER"
Mina tapped her communicator "Guys, there's a youma or something rampaging downtown, by the Ode De Fudge candy store. Meet us there, and hurry!" She nodded and then yelled, "VENUS CRYSTAL POWER"
Sailor Mars, Sailor Jupiter, and Sailor Venus leaped to the top of the buildings, racing along the roofs to where the cries were coming louder. They leaped to the ground.
Darkness sat in one of the booths, enjoying some fudge while his monster attacked. At first glance, it looked like it was made totally from different colored mud, but the Scouts both realized that it in fact was made out of total fudge! Jupiter was wondering how he got the fudge to stick together, when Mars attacked, frying half of the right side of the Fudge-man.
"Fudgey won't budgey!!" It giggled gleefully, and all three Scouts looked repulsed at the thing.
"What is it, another Tickle-me-Elmo gone bad? It sounds like.. like.." Venus protested.
"Like it's mental that's what it is!" Jupiter said, equally disgusted.. "Is that supposed to be SCARY?? Geez.. An alien guy running around with a monkey tail blasting things and yelling pointlessly would be scarier than this piece of fudge!!"
Jupiter's next attack missed totally, destroying a small concession stand, and she barely restrained herself from yelling a bad word, instead muttering "Fudge!!"
Venus giggled and winked, "That's what it is!" "VENUS LOVE AND BEAUTY SHOCK" did nothing but make a heart shaped hole through the fudge freako, and Venus sweatdropped as the thing giggled gleefully, pointing at the hole as if it was a little child.
"This is hopeless! This isn't even a real battle! This is Darkness' sense of humor, and it stinks!!" Mars fumed angrily as the pudgy fudgey youma sat down in the middle of the road, playing happily with a car plucked from the side of the road.
Darkness however, seemed to be ignoring them for the most part, plucking pieces of fudge from the box he had on his lap, and enjoying them as his moronic monstrosity raged on.. Just then, Sailor Moon, Sailor Mercury, and Sailor Minimoon appeared, lending a hand in trying to defeat Fudge-boy..
"This is completely pointless! What is his purpose in drawing us here? There is no strategical value of this place, and neither is he after the pure essences of other's emotions. I wonder what his stratagem is?" Mercury said, after her attack froze Fudgeypudgey for a few seconds in playing with its car..
Sailor Moon was looking exasperated. "Should we attack now?? No one else's attacks are working.." Just then, "WORLD SHAKING" and "DEEP SUBMERGE" collided with the youma, sending globs of melted and hard knobs of frozen fudge blasting everywhere.
Sailor Uranus looked smugly at the remains of the youma while Neptune, Pluto and Saturn walked forward to greet the other Scouts. Then they turned their attention to Darkness, who, apparently, was just finishing up the last of his fudge.
"mm.. Very good, this fudge is.. I must remember to save a recipe of it when I destroy the world.." He smiled, spotting the former Fudge monsters' splattered remains, and laughing. "So you finally took down my monster? No need, my only goal was to lure you all here," He smiled wickedly.
"To destroy you all.."

Chapter Ten; Monday afternoon, Apartment 13
Belle lay back on the leather sofa, closing her eyes and trying to get some sleep. The encounter she'd had with Darien, along with the fact she was stressed out over Jake, her weak physical shape, and the shopping excursion had all combined to make her a very tired young woman.
She sighed, breathing deeply. Suddenly, a searing pain shot through her forehead, and she let out a yell of pain.
A throbbing light spread through the apartment, emanating from Belle's forehead, and a small, glowing black sign appeared through her bangs. It looked like a heart that hadn't been finished, with a cross sticking up from the dip in the middle of the two arches.
She gasped again, and fell back against the sofa as the light filled the room.
She screamed.

Chapter Eleven, Monday, Downtown Tokyo
"Don't be a fool Sailor Moon! Just give up now, and I'll spare your life, as well as the lives of your little minions!" Darkness sneered, rolling his eyes. Sailor Moon stared at him, and he was amazed at the expression of intense determination in her eyes, her deep azure eyes.
"Don't talk to me about being a fool Darkness! You're the fool for believing you can defeat us! You aren't going to spare any one's lives in the end anyways, so don't give us that BS!" Sailor Moon yelled back just as defiantly. Darkness sneered.
"Oh I think you're quite mistaken." He turned to Pluto. "Why don't you tell them, Guardian of Chronos blood?" He said it with a slight sneer, but Pluto didn't say anything. Sailor Moon and the others turned to stare at her worriedly.
"Tell us what, Pluto?" asked Jupiter softly.
"What is he talking about, Puu?" Minimoon asked uncertainly. Pluto clutched her staff to her as if it were her only hope, her only defense, her eyes downcast, away from them.
"He's right, Sailor Scouts. We can't win against him." Pluto said softly, and the Scouts gasped.
"What are you saying??" Uranus demanded.
"Don't tell me you've turned traitor on us!" Mars yelled.
"NO!" Pluto yelled back suddenly, and they were silenced. "When I was in the Weaver's room," She didn't explain what the Weaver's room was. It was beyond their comprehension. "When I was in the Weaver's room," She repeated, almost afraid to continue. "I touched his power.. He must have sensed it." Her gaze was piercing as she stared at Darkness, who only smirked to confirm her being right. "His power level was beyond anything I'd ever imagined." She cast a sad glance at Sailor Moon. "Even beyond the power of your crystal."
"No!" Sailor Moon gasped. "That's not possible, we CAN beat him we just have to.. have to .. TRY.." Tears shone in her eyes. Pluto averted her eyes, looking sad.
Darkness laughed victoriously. "Of course she's right. And would you like to know why? Because I get my power from the tiny seed of darkness, the shadows of evil in people's souls. And since on this planet there are billions of shadows of evil, not only in beings like yourselves but imbedded in nature itself, I'm practically invincible!! Darkness will always claim victory! Not even the light I loved so long ago could stop ME.." He was laughing now, heartily, victorious.
Sailor Moon's heart sank at his words, but she refused to give up. So even while the Sailors around her looked devastated, Sailor Moon's eyes flashed in determination.
"Even though what you say is true, there is also another way to look at it! And from that point of view, you're as helpless as a newborn kitten!!" Darkness looked amused.
"Oh really Sailor Moon. Please, illuminate me."
"You said that in every being's heart there is a seed of evil. Yet good is ever present! Peace overtures and charity works are just two evidences of the overwhelming brightness of light and joy in people's souls. You may claim the evil, but I claim the good, the light and I know I can beat you. The darkness will always flee before the light!!"
Darkness laughed. "What a pitifully amusing story. Bravo Sailor Moon, what a inspiring performance. Don't worry, I won't take points off for the fact that you're totally misguided and wrong in everything you said.. Especially about the Darkness fleeing. I will NEVER flee.. Now. Down to business. I believe I was about to destroy you, no?"
"Just try Darkness, we're game for anything you can throw at us!" Mars yelled defiantly.
"Careful Sailors, be on guard." Mercury cautioned, her visor rapidly flashing numbers, though the readings she was getting were so off the charts she couldn't believe they could be true.
Darkness concentrated, his black cape whipping out in the wind behind him as he started to chuckle softly, his laughter building into a frightening crescendo as the sky darkened, becoming black as night, and the wind swirled around them.
"Now feel the wrath of the DARKNESS!!"
The Sailors screamed as the wind solidified into shards of black obsidian, slicing into their skin, through their outfits. The pressure of the air around them intensified, until they felt like they were trying to breathe underwater, hardly able to move.
"ENOUGH!!" Sailor Uranus suddenly cried, ignoring the stabbing pain that shot through her as a tiny shard of obsidian sliced through the tender flesh of her ribs. "Sailors, attack NOW!"
"WORLD SHAKING"
"DEEP SUBMERGE"
"DEADLY SCREAM"
"FLAME SNIPER"
"LOVE AND BEAUTY SHOCK"
"OAK REVOLUTION"
"AQUA RHAPSODY"
"SILENCE GLAIVE SURPRISE"
"TWINKLE BELL.."
and then.. "MOON GORGEOUS MEDITATION" ..
The attacks hurtled towards Darkness, who looked at them, adopting a expression of horror. "Oh No!" He said, shaking his head, and extending a hand. The attacks stopped midair.
"No!" Sailor Moon gasped as the attacks started to twitch and shiver. And then, they whipped around and hurtled back towards the Scouts. There was no time to dodge. The Scouts were each hit by another's attack, the Moon Scouts being hit by their own attack.
Their screams of pain shattered the peaceful tranquillity of the Tokyo downtown.
And one by one, they fell to the ground, shivering weakly. Uranus and Jupiter fought to rise, but collapsed back to the ground in defeat. Darkness surveyed his handiwork, and laughed.
"Now, which one to finish off first? I promised I wouldn't hurt Sailor Moon until after, so.." He gestured, and Sailor Moon was suddenly trapped in a solid shard of quartz, hovering in the air, unable to move.
Suddenly, a rose split the air, embedding itself in Darkness' armor. The dark warlord cried out in pain and released his grip on Sailor Moon's shard. The quartz fell to the ground and shattered, and Tuxedo Mask landed next to his loved one, wrapping her protectively in his arms.
"Grr..." Darkness' head rose, his eyes flashing black. "I was wondering when you'd get here Cape-boy.." He laughed. "How fitting. Had you not done that, she would have lived. Well," He amended, "a lot longer than you anyways.." He laughed again. "But now that you've destroyed her little case there, you'll both have to die. Adios losers!"
Tuxedo Mask took the brunt of the attack, shielding Sailor Moon as best he could from the blinding blast of Negaenergy. But not even the Earth's dark avenger's mystical cape could stand the raw, pure evil energy bombarding them.
And so, when they fell, Darkness watched, hovering over the fallen Scouts like a vulture. "Now.. I was just about to kill Sailor Moon, wasn't I?" He laughed as Sailor Moon slowly regained consciousness, trying ever so hard to rise, in vain.
"No.." He finally decided. "I think I will wait until everyone else is dead to kill her. After all, she's supposed to be the leader, aren't you Sailor Moon?" He laughed again and Moon's eyes wavered.
"Please.." She whispered. "Please, don't kill them.. They've done nothing.. at all.. worth destroying.. Don't please don't..." Darkness landed in front of Sailor Moon kneeling to face her, smirking.
"Awwww I'm sorry Sailor Moon, did I hurt your poor little feelings? Of course I'm going to kill you, I wouldn't have it any other way!" Sailor Moon's eyes shone with tears, and she mouthed the word "Why??" as two cerulean drops rolled down her cheeks. "Why? Why not? This world is full of uncaring, cold hearted morons, who don't care about saving a young woman's soul.. I didn't see the Sailor Scouts fighting crime.. abuses.. Noo.. You're too good for that, you've got to save yourself up to fight the evil evil ones who could destroy your world.." He laughed bitterly. "Well, this time, your arrogance has lead to your destruction. I'm sorry Sailor Moon, but such an uncaring world as this isn't worth saving." He moved closer to her, looking her in the face, showing her the hurt, the pain in his obsidian eyes. And the evil darkness.. "Just as your arrogant Sailors aren't worth keeping alive.."
And then he stood. "Good-bye Sailor Moon. I think I will kill your daughter first." And then he lowered his hand, pointing at Minimoon. Sailor Moon let out a cry of helplessness, struggling to rise but unable too. Darkness smirked as a glowing orb of black energy surrounded his hand.
"LOOM!" The cry split the silence, drawing their attention to the shadows. "TRANSCENDENCE!" The air around them started to shiver, as if an invisible power was heading towards them.
And then it appeared. Taking the form of a flying swan, it was shimmering and iridescent. Darkness stared at it, and suddenly, it hit him in the chest, knocking him away from the Scouts. The ball of black energy disappeared as he hit the wall and slid down it.
And then, from the shadows, stepped a Sailor Scout.
White blonde hair braided and pulled around a head of thick, luxurious long curls met the eye, her tresses reaching down to the back of her knees. She wore a black mask over her eyes, one almost like the one Sailor V used to wear, a silver tiara with a lavender amethyst gem set inside of it. Her earrings were triangles attacked to small amethyst balls on the top. Her choker, along with her collar, was black, a amethyst gem set in the middle of the velvet choker with a triangle of silver dangling down on her creamy white chest. Her bow was a dark purple, along with her skirt, and a silver button shaped as a circle was set in the middle. Her gloves were black, so were her boots, and shiny. They were the type of gloves that had no fingers, and were down around her wrists. Her boots were straight across the top and highheeled. A long purple cape flew out in back of her, and she held in her hand something like a shepherd's crook, a long, thin staff that curved up and over at the top, only this broadened, completed the arch, and twisted down around the staff, ending by merging into a amethyst rock set in the handle.
"Who.. who??" Darkness rasped, climbing to his feet. The Sailor seemed to tense when she saw him, gripping her crook tightly as she tilted her chin defiantly up. She didn't answer him, but walked over to the fallen Sailors, one eye always on him as she touched each Sailor's forehead.
Ripples seemed to spread through their bodies at her touch, and their signs appeared, glowing through their tiaras. And then, they found they could stand once again, and that their wounds were all but gone. Darkness growled in outrage. Finished, she helped Saturn to her feet, and then backed away from them. Sailor Moon looked at her.
"Who are you?" The Sailor's long white blonde hair whipped in the wind as she met Sailor Moon's eyes. Sailor Moon felt that whatever kind of eyes she had behind her mask, she'd never seen any like them, for her gaze felt intense and focused.
"A guardian of the threads of the Loom Of Reality, I am a fighter for justice and truth. A defender of the Galaxy's rhythms and patterns." She said softly, nevertheless, her voice rang out defiantly. Serena felt she'd heard that voice before,.. somewhere.. "I am Sailor Aethena."
A tremor ran through the Scouts, as if they should have heard the name before. "Athena?" Sailor Mars said, but Aethena shook her head, correcting her pronunciation, stressing that the "ah" sound was longer, more like an "ay" sound.
Darkness brushed himself off, now looking a tad annoyed. "I don't care who the hell you are, but you're going to die for doing that to me! How dare you suddenly show up when you're not welcome."
"Darkness, please stop!" Aethena said softly, pleadingly. "I don't want to hurt you.. but I will if you make me. Just stop all this foolishness, and go home. We don't want to fight, we want peace, just like you do. And you can find peace here, but not by killing the Sailors!" Darkness stared at her, his gaze hard and flinty, his eyes narrowing.
"You pack the punch of a giant, but have the heart of a tiny little fairy, Sailor.. You're pitiful. I don't WANT the type of peace THEY give me.. I want to give them peace.. The eternal peace, of DEATH!" And he sent a roaring wave of darkness towards the Sailors. Saturn and Aethena moved at the same time, dashing in front of the others. Saturn's glaive forming a shield while Aethena's crook seemed to neutralize the waves.
And then, the crook started to glow, and from inside the arch, came a beam of blackness. Only this was not the hungry, evil black of Darkness. No, this was a calm, enveloping darkness, the kind that surrounded you and comforted you. Aethena's darkness slowly consumed Darkness' blackness, and the evil warlord stopped before the beam reached him. He stared at her, hard.
"I don't know where you come from, but your powers are impressive." He stopped then, and his attitude changed, to one of a smirk, "But you haven't seen anything of my powers yet."
He backed into the shadows then, frowning deeply. "Watch it Aethena. I'll find out who you are, and then you'll die. You will be the first to die.." And then, he disappeared.
The Sailors stood silently for a moment, but then, Aethena turned, and without looking at the others, started to walk away. The others watched her go startledly, and Sailor Moon ran to catch up with her. "Aethena wait, stop!" Aethena paused, and turned, meeting the other's eyes.
"What?" Sailor Moon stared. The word had just been spoken with such vehemence and hatred, that it stopped her in her tracks.
"Well.. I.. we wanted to thank you.. and, we want to say," She paused for a moment. "Welcome to the team." She smiled happily, expecting Aethena to smile too. The frown on the other's face deepened.
"I don't want to be on your 'team'" she sneered, "I don't want to have anything to do with you at all. Get it??" The others stared.
"W..what?" Sailor Moon stuttered.
"But you just saved us.. If you don't want anything to do with us, why did you do that?" Venus asked, confused. Aethena turned slowly, her eyes scouring them each individually before she answered, softly.
"Because, unfortunately, I can't stop Darkness by my self." She shook her head. "I don't expect you to understand. I don't expect any of you to understand. Ok? So just.. leave me alone. I have my own prerogatives, and those don't include you." She raised her eyes and stared right at Sailor Jupiter. "Especially you."
And then, with a ripple in the air that blurred their vision, she was gone.

~~~~
Well that's all for Part two.. Keep looking for Part Three: Curse of Aethena, soon to be available to all!! ^^.. Keep smiling, and remember, I love mail just as much as ya'll do!!
Lady Amber