Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Super Sailor Mercury: Shattered Ice ❯ Chapter 25

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Shattered Ice: Super Sailor Mercury

Setsuna bent forward and Ami blinked in surprise as those lips softly touched hers. It was a tentative kiss, almost chaste, then the older woman drew back a bit. “I’m sorry,” Setsuna smiled, her green tinted black hair shimmering.

“Nothing to be sorry for,” Ami managed after a moment. She smiled shyly, “I’ve been thinking of doing something like that, too.”

“You might have told me sooner,” Setsuna’s voice was faintly teasing as a unexpected tension left her body.

Ami smiled back, the scar across her face more visible because of her blush, “It’s been pretty hectic lately.”

“True enough,” Setsuna agreed, reaching out to take her hand. “Are you all right with this?” she asked gently.

“I said I wanted to kiss you, too,” Ami reminded her. Both women smiled as they gazed at each other then Ami sighed, “And as much as I’d like to do...other things, I have Chibi-Usa to worry about.”

“And if I don’t head back home soon I’m going to be teased to death by Haruka and Michiru,” Setsuna admitted.

Ami got up from the table and followed Setsuna over to the door. “Do you want me to walk you home?” Ami offered.

Setsuna shook her head, “I think I’ll transform once I go outside... I can get home in minutes that way.”

“Be careful,” Ami squeezed her hand before reluctantly letting it go.

“Always,” and with that Setsuna was gone.

Ami stretched, yawning slightly then went down the hall to Chibi-Usa’s bedroom. The little pink haired girl was in her pajamas already, the black cat Luna watching sleepily as Ami entered. “Ready for bed?” she asked.

“Yes, Ami-papa,” Chibi-Usa agreed as she climbed in bed.

“Sleep tight,” Ami kissed her cheek.

“Ami?” Chibi-Usa asked.

“Yes?” Ami turned from where she stood in the doorway.

“Are you and Setsuna like Haruka and Michiru?” Chibi-Usa asked innocently.

Ami felt herself blush. “Why do you ask?” she managed casually.

“Because Hotaru seems so happy with her Haruka-papa and Michiru-mama,” Chibi-Usa explained, “I thought it’d be nice if we were like that.”

“We’ll see,” Ami said as she slipped out.

Meanwhile, in a pricey townhouse apartment music rang out as the band practiced. “Not a bad love song,” Taiki admitted, his reddish brown hair falling in a neat ponytail. Despite all the energy they put out practicing he still looked neat, too, in his t-shirt and dress pants.

“Thanks,” Seiya nodded, getting the guitar down. He looked rougher around the edges than Taiki did, his jeans and t-shirt rumpled.

“Is it all the unrequited interest in Miss Mizuno talking?” Yaten teased, the smaller, white haired boy stepping away from the keyboard.

“No, it is not,” Seiya said with as much dignity as he could muster.

“Then why did you want me to compile a dossier on Miss Mizuno?” Taiki said with a straight face, picking up the papers from a nearby desk.

“Just curious,” Seiya quickly got up and took the papers from him.

“Of course,” Taiki hid a smile.

“Let’s see.. Were not that far apart in age,” Seiya noted aloud as he read, “3.95 GPA?!”

“Damn,” Yaten whistled.

“She only lost the .05 over a dispute with the philosophy professor,” Taiki revealed, “it was quite the scandal in the science clubs.”

“Nerds stick together?” Yaten guessed.

“Yes,” Taiki nodded seriously, “but call us ‘socially challenged intellectuals’, please. Nerd is so passe.”

Seiya rolled his eyes. “Couple teachers have noted concerns with her socializing,” he noted, “or lack there of.”

“Considering the tragedy in her life, I’m not surprised,” Taiki said dryly. As Seiya flipped through the report questioningly he said, “Last sheet, I printed up the news article.”

Seiya read the headline ‘Slaughter in Tokyo’ and his face went grim. Five young people slain gruesomely, a mysterious creature found in the rubble and a pair of survivors, a little girl... and Ami Mizuno. Her photo attached to the news report had ben taken then and she looked haunted, wounded body and soul.

“Wow,” Yaten murmured, reading over Seiya’s shoulder.

“I think we all know how that feels,” Seiya admitted. All three of them had known pain and loss, more than they cared to admit. “Her teachers are fools if they think Ami’d just bounce back after that.”

“And according to rumors I’ve gathered Ami wasn’t too sociable even before this,” Taiki nodded. He gave Seiya a serious look, “If you intend to even be a friend to her, you’re going to have to go slow and easy.”

“Something our fearless leader isn’t too good at,” Yaten pointed out.

“Oh shut up,” Seiya tossed a piece of balled up paper at him.

Yaten ducked, sticking out his tongue. “You know it’s true,” he said seriously.

“Yeah, I guess so,” Seiya conceded that point. He got up, pacing the room, “And then there’s Sailor Mercury.”

“She remains a mystery,” Taiki acknowledged.

“I don’t trust them,” Yaten scowled.

“I wouldn’t go that far,” Seiya smiled faintly. There was something unexplainedly familiar about Sailor Mercury, but for the life of her she couldn’t figure out what. “What I’d really like to know is,” he continued, “how is it she can heal Phages?”

“Our leader was looking for the legendary Sailor Scout,” Taiki offered tentatively, “could that somehow be Sailor Mercury?”

“She’s too young,” Yaten protested.

“Maybe,” Seiya looked thoughtful as he mused, “or maybe she’s the legendary Sailor Scout...reborn somehow?”

“No way,” Yaten blurted, eyes wide.

“Maybe, maybe not,” Taiki said thoughtfully, “but no matter what happens, it means we need to keep a close eye on her.”

“Sounds like a plan,” Seiya nodded seriously.

“You’ll just have to make sure Mercury surveillance doesn’t cut into your attempts to seduce Ami,” Yaten smirked.

“Would you drop that?” Seiya scowled.

Yaten just laughed.

To be continued....