Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Super Sailor Mercury: Shattered Ice ❯ Chapter 26

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Shattered Ice: Super Sailor Mercury
Twenty Six

The chamber was dark, crackling with a unearthly energy as the small figure entered, her grey hair oddly at war with her youthful, almost little girl like appearance. Human clothing transformed into a replica of Sailor Fuku, and her stance lost it’s timidness as she said, “Sailor Iron Mouse is here, mistress.”

The throne crackled with unholy power as the shadowed figure who was sitting there gazed at her with utter contempt. “Why have you failed in acquiring the Star Seeds, Iron Mouse?” she loudly demanded.

Iron Mouse gulped visibly. “I’m sorry mistress,” she said respectfully, “but finding the Seeds has been more difficult than anticipated.”

“We need the Star Seeds, Mouse,” the shadowy figure hissed, “I need them. You have created five Phages so far, and not ONE had a true seed?”

“Mistress....” Iron Mouse started.

“Silence!” she roared as she pointed and what looked like a bolt of lightning leapt out to strike at Iron Mouse.

“Aaaaah!” Iron Mouse cried out, jerking in pain as the power lanced through her. “Please, Mistress,” Iron Mouse whimpered.

With another gesture the attack stopped, Iron Mouse dropping to the ground in a crumpled heap. “Find me the Star Seeds,” her voice echoed mysteriously as she said, “or I may need to turn to more competant help.”

“I will find them,” Iron Mouse softly vowed as the dark figure seemed to disappear from the chamber. ‘And when I do,’ she thought as she left the room, her clothing shifting to human garb, ‘I’ll use their power against you, bitch.’

Striding through the halls of the TV station they were using as both cover and headquarters Iron Mouse headed to her office, lost in thought. ‘I need a good Star Seed candidate,’ she mused, ‘but where can I find them?’ She peered at the celeberty magazines cluttering her desk, then brightened as she saw a certain face, “Ah ha!”

Meanwhile, across the city Setsuna hesitated, the green haired woman feeling unusually timid before walking inside the store, “Welcome,” the brown haired older woman smiled, “to Osaka jewelers. How can I help you?”

Setsuna smiled at the woman’s somewhat exaggerated manner, “I was looking for a gift, a friendship ring,” she said with unusual shyness.
Mrs. Osaka lead her over to a display of fine rings as she asked, “Do you have anything in mind?”

“Something in blue, I think,” Setsuna mused, considering the color of Ami’s hair.

More women entered the store and Mrs. Osaka excused herself, “I’ll send someone to help you,” Raising her voice she called, “Naru!”

A moment later Naru Osaka emerged from the back of the store, looking much like a youthful version of her mother. With light brown hair and green eyes the young lady cut quite a figure, though there was also a gentle aura of sadness around her.

‘Naru, of course,’ Setsuna recognized her. When Usagi Tsukino had been in junior high Naru was her best friend, a role she was ultimately displaced from by the Sailor Senshi. On the edges of their dangerous lives Naru was Occasionally caught in the crossfire, seeing friends hurt and losing loved ones.

“Hi,” Naru smiled sweetly, “what can I help you with?”

“I think this ring,” Setsuna pointed to the saphire, “but I’ll need it sized to a smaller hand than mine.”

Handling the ring gently Naru smiled, “We can have it done in a few days, ma’am.”

Unsure if it was a wise more SEtsuna quietly said, “I’m sorry for your loss.”

“Ehh?” Naru blinked.

“You are the Naru that Usagi mentioned?” SEtsuna asked leadingly.

“You knew Usagi?” Naru’s eyes widened a bit. A sad smile appeared on her cute face, “I didn’t see Usagi as much after we graduated, but hearing about her death was a shock.”

“It was for us too,” Setsuna agreed.

Naru nodded, for a moment seeming wise beyond her years. Something in her eyes told SEtsuna that the girl had known about Usagi’s identity as Sailor Moon, and that she grieved for both the loss of the heroine and a friend. Seeing that grief Setsuna was oddly humbled, regretting not trying to offer comfort to those who had been wounded by Usagi’s loss.

“If you’d like,” Setsuna offered to Naru gently, “I could come by some time and we can talk about her.”

“I’d like that,” Naru smiled gently.

“Finished at last,” Naru’s mother swept don on them eagerly, “now, have you found a design you like?”

“Yes mother,” Naru looked amused by her mother’s antics as she continued, “but the lady will need it resized.”

“No problem, a few days work at best,” the older woman said airily.

Drawing her credit card out of her purse Setsuna smiled as she said confidently, “I’ll pay up front, of course.”

“Just the kind of customer I like,” Mrs. Osaka clapped her hands happily.

“Mother,” Naru rolled her eyes.

‘Now,’ Setsuna thought, ‘as long as Haruka and Michiru keep Ami and the kids occupied, everything should be fine.’

CRASH!

“I didn’t do it,” Haruka Tenoh quickly protested, the sandy brown haired woman standing with a tray of silverware laying on the floor at her feet.

“Sure,” Michiru sighed as she, Hotaru and Chibi-Usa were setting up the table.

“I’ll help,” Hotaru walked over to where Haruka was trying to help clean up and mostly failing. The black haired young girl smiled wryly, “What were you doing, papa?”

“Trying to look cool while cleaning,” Haruka admitted wryly, “obviously I need to practice at it a bit harder.”

“Trying to toss knives into the drying tray isn’t exactly safe,” Ami Mizuno sounded amused as she emerged from the study, her glasses gleaming. She had discarded her school uniform jacket but still cut a dashing figure in black pants and a white shirt.

“You’d better change before SEtsuna gets back from her errands,” Michiru noted, “dressed like that Setsuna might do something rash.”

“Michiru,” Ami blushed.

‘Still totally unaware of her effect on people,’ Haruka thought with some amusement. “I’m just glad that last Phage was less trouble,” she noted as she and Hoptaru wiped off utensils before putting them away.

“That actress that attacked Yaten,” Ami agreed.

“And I see a certain someone made a new friend, too,” Chibi-Usa teased as Luna squirmed uncomfortably.

“I did not,” Luna protested, the little black cat looking indignant. “Yaten nearly kidnapped me, after all.” she added.

Yaten Kou, desperate to replace a preforming animal he needed for a TV appearance stumbled across Luna. Understandably hesitant Luna still allowed herself to be wisked off, and actually found herself rather enjoying the Three Lights company. However, that was spoiled by a phage attack, the arrival of the Starlights and her friends.

“Like you couldn’t get away if you wanted to?” Haruka raised an eyebrow.

“Well,” Luna looked embarassed.

“Leave her alone,” Artemis said, the white cat looking visibly uncomfortable.

Taking pity on the cat Ami changed the subject, “Thanks for inviting Chibi-Usa and I over for dinner tonight. It’s a nice change of pace.”

“We love having you over,” Michiru reassured her.

“Besides,” Hotaru added, “seeing you puts Setsuna in a good mood.”

Haruka chuckled softly as Ami blushed, “Yeah, Setsuna always brightens up when she hears you’re coming over.”

“So, when are you planning on coming over for good?” Luna jumped in on the teasing.

“Gee,” Ami looked innocent, “can this household afford to feed six people and two cats?”

Haruka smirked, “It’s the two cats that eat us out of house and home.”

“Hey!” both Luna and Artemis protested.

“Seriously?” Ami gave a small smile, “It’s a complicated enough situation with her as my school nurse, we’re not taking the moving in step until I’m out of that school.”

A pause then Michiru nodded, “Makes sense.”

“Setsuna suggested that,” Ami admitted, “though I think I would have also come to that conclusion too, eventually.”

To be continued....