Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Tales of Minako and Hotaru ❯ Angel of Death ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: I own none of the characters from Sailor Moon or Saikano, I’m just borrowing the cast and concept for awhile. This is a darker fanfiction, so if that’s not your thing I’d suggest skipping it.

Angel of death

My name is Minako Aino, and I’m a officer in the Japanese Self Defense Force. I have blonde hair and blue eyes, possibly due to a western ancestor, I’m cheerful and outgoing and love eating spicy foods. I’m twenty six years old, a Lieutenant and I’m responsible for the most powerful weapon on Earth.

“Are we there yet?” Hotaru Tomoe asked, the black haired young woman in a simple jumpsuit asked. Her skin was almost white, ghost like, and her violet eyes seemed deeply wounded, somehow.

“We’ll be at the drop zone in a minute,” Minako said softly. She reached out to put a hand on her shoulder, “Do you want me to go down with you?”

“No,” Hotaru shook her head grimly, “it’ll be too dangerous. Go to our lines as planned.” There was a long moment where all they heard was the stealthed chopper’s engine going then she asked, “Do you have the medicine with you?”

“Yes,” Minako took the injector out from her uniform’s pocket as she asked, “do you want me to...?”

“Not yet,” Hotaru sighed, “I just feel better knowing you have it.” She looked down at her feet as she softly added, “The more often I do this, the more I feel my control slipping... you may need to use that today.”

“I’ll be ready,” Minako promised her as she put the container of serum away.

“We’re coming up to drop point now,” the pilot declared, the voice booming from the cockpit up front.

Hotaru unclipped herself from her seat and walked over to the hatch, “Strap yourself in, Mina.” The emotion seemed to fade out from her voice as something else took over, “It’s going to be bumpy, Officer Aino.”

“Good luck,” Minaki said as Hotaru pulled open the hatch, the wind buffeting the inside of the chopper, “Nine.”

“I won’t need it,” and without another word Hotaru leapt out of the vehicle without a parachute, hundreds of feet above the battlefield.

“God,” MInako twisted in her seat to look out a window, watching as Hotaru fell. Though more acrurately it was Nine, the combat persona implanted in Hotaru that was falling, that was now fully in possession of her body.

Nine stretched her hands out as the false flesh on her back exploded, twin silvery metal wings deploying. The glass-like feathers glowed, unearthly technology slowing her fall as she swept down towards the battlefield. Her arms shredded, false skin falling away as cybernetics were exposed, then the metal reshaping as cannons formed on the end of each limb. Japanese trooper made a sound that was half awe, half fear as she swept be above him, focused not on her allies but the enemy.

“Target locked,” the cold voice murmured as Nine soared in even as the enemy realized their danger.

Weapons emplacements opened up, bullets and mortars flying as Nine seemed to ignore the few strikes they made. Her body absorbed the hits harmlessly while she dropped to the ground. She swept the perimeter with those emotionless eyes, then coldly moved forward as she began to fire.

“It’s her!” a frantic soldier squealed in English, the man laying in the mud and rubble left over after a near miss, the wounded man weakly grabbing for a weapon. Without a word Nine gestured towards him, there was a flash of power and she strode onwards as a pool of blood slowly formed around his now lifeless form.

“Can you bring us down by the Japanese lines?” Minako asked the pilot as they made a turn away from where the lights of battle could be seen.

“Yes ma’am,” he nodded. He was quiet a moment then nervously asked, “What’s it like... working with her?”

“She’s a hell of a good soldier,” Minako answered, something in her tone of voice saying not to persue it any farther. Almost as soon as the copter touched down she was off, striding towards the officers who were waiting for her. “Sir,” she saluted.

“Aino,” Rei Hino leaned on a cane, the black haired older woman looking at her tiredly through one eye, the other covered with a eye patch.

“Hotaru was deployed as ordered,” Minako said with a certain amount of regret. “I wish we didn’t have to, but...”

“You mean Nine,” Rei answered firmly, “I pray to god that Hotaru isn’t even aware of everything she does for us.”

‘Right,’ Minako remembered, ‘she attended a catholic school when she was younger.’ Following Rei towards the command tent she quietly asked, “Are we going to need to keep using Nine like this? Hotaru’s scared she’s losing control.”
Rei waited until they reached the command tent before saying, “The war’s going bad for us, Minako. We need to use whatever weapons we have.”

“I know,” Minako sighed as she looked up at the battle field monitors that relayed images from the Mercury spy-eyes following Nine, silently wishing there was another way. If the madman Professor Tomoe hadn’t enhanced his daughter she knew they wouldn’t even be in this situation, for good or ill.

“She’s incredible, isn’t she?” Usagi murmured admiringly, the pink haired daughter of Queen Serenity sitting in front of the screens, the commander of their force casually nodding greetings to them both.

“Yes ma’am,” Rei agreed, keeping any bitterness over being commanded by a child out of her tone of voice.

Nine shredded a weapon’s emplacement on the screen, her energy blade resembling a reaper’s scythe for a moment. With deadly purpose she advanced into the wildly firing troops and began to cut them down with ruthless efficiency.

“How many are left?” Minako asked quietly, making herself continue to watch despite the revulsion she felt at the slaughter. This was a sacrifice Hotaru was making, letting her body be used by a ruthless killing machine and some part of Minako felt that someone should at least respect that, honor it.

“That’s the last of them,” Usagi sounded proud, “nearly a thousand soldiers and support, eliminated in a matter of minutes.”

‘Eliminated,’ Minako fought back her anger, ‘such a sanitary description for it.’

Nine struck at the enemy’s command center, racing past the guards as if they weren’t there. Explosions flared within the tent and Minako could imagine hand weapons going off, people fighting to survive afainst the killing machine. In a moment all was silent, then a blood splattered Nine emerged from the tent, her expression as calm as ever.

“Confirm that the enemy force is destroyed,” Rei instructed the tech, “then send Nine the deactivation command.”

“Right,” Ami Mizuno answered as she used the spy-eyes to scan the field. “Confirming enemy force eliminated, sending signal now,” Ami added.

Minako watched the monitor as she waited for Nine’s eyes to clear and Hotaru to re-emerge, but instead Nine turned and began to advance towards their lines. “Has the signal been sent?” Minako asked softly.

“Confirmed,” Ami sounded more than a little scared.

“What’s going on?” Usagi asked, looking at them in confusion.

“Nine isn’t shutting down,” Rei explained grimly, “and when Nine is in charge she’ll attack ANYONE within a certain distance. Other than her handler, of course.”

Minako hurried to the tent flap and outside even as she ordered, “Keep everyone away from her, please!”

The scene outside was pure chaos as men and woman raced away from the outer defensive lines, abandoning both equipment and arms to let them get away faster. Pushing her way through the panicked troops Minako fought her way forward, yelling at times to make people get the hell out of her way.

“Oh hell,” Minako whimpered as she worked her way into the open, watching in horror as Nine cut down a medic and the man she was trying to help.

“Enemy combatants sighted,” Nine stepped over the bodies as she casually advanced, “proceeding with removal.”

“Nine!” Minako called as she ran forward.

“Officer Aino,” Nine said flatly, “you shouldn’t be here. This area is unsecured.”

“These are our troops,” Minako declared, standing in front of her. Despite being smaller Nine had a dangerous aura about her, her eyes lifeless and deadly.

“All soldiers must be eliminated from the field,” Nine said to her coldly, “it is the only path to victory.”

“No!” MInako went for the injector in her pocket.

Nine stiffened as the injector struck her neck, the fluid pumped in with a hiss. “You betray me, too?” Nine hissed, her weapon arm sweeping across Minako’s torso in a splash of red.

“Never,” Minako gurgled, tasting blood in her throat as they both fell in a tangle of limbs.

Mina?” she heard as blackness swept over her, “MINA!”

It was the sound of weeping that woke her, some unknown time later. Minako opened her eyes to see a white ceiling of a hospital room, the soft beeping of medical monitors in the background. Turning her head a little she saw Hotaru sitting by the bed, her face splotchy and red from crying.

“You all right?” Minako managed to ask, her throat aching and sore.

“Mina,” Hotaru practically threw herself at her, “oh god, I nearly killed you!”

“No, Nine nearly did,” Minako managed to get a aching arm around Hotaru, “it wasn’t your fault, love.”

“But....” Hotaru looked at her tearfully.

“It’s all right,” Minako shushed her gently as she pulled her close.

My name is Minako Aino, and I’m a officer in the Japanese Self Defense Force. I have blonde hair and blue eyes, possibly due to a western ancestor, I’m cheerful and outgoing and love eating spicy foods. I’m twenty six years old, a Lieutenant and my body is nearly half cybernetic from injuries in the field, mostly at the hands of Nine. Who knows, maybe by the end of the war I’ll be as much of a machine as Hotaru is?

End

Notes: A very odd fusion of Saikano and Sailor Moon. I blame this on some of the darker Mistress Nine moments in Sailor Moon, and wondering what it would be like if a Mistress Nine like character was a weapon for the good guys.