Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Tales of Minako and Hotaru ❯ The Agent-One ( Chapter 15 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Tales of Minako and Hotaru
The Agent

It looked almost like a scene from a girl’s manga as they all walked down the street, the school girls chattering happily, the cherry petals falling around them, and in their midst was a single, most striking figure.

Minako Aino almost seemed to glow as the blonde idol walked with her classmates, chattering cheerfully while the sun shone down on the students going to school. The regular school uniform hugged her slim form, a bit more mature than her fellows.

In their presence a smaller, dark haired figure walked quietly, her manner oddly gloomy compared to the other girls. Her long black hair shimmered like a raven’s wing, while her violet eyes looked around with a odd sort of intensity.

“Hotaru,” Minako turned to ask the girl cheerfully, “what do you think of that new series, Secret Agent 900?”

‘Aino, I wish you wouldn’t keep trying to blow my cover,’ Hotaru thought to herself with some amusement. “It wasn’t bad,” she said mildly, violet eyes giving Minako a silent warning to not push on the subject.

“I would have thought you’d like it,” Minako said with a impish look, entirely unbothered by Hotaru’s annoyance.

‘She’s pretty brave,’ Hotaru thought to herself wryly, ‘though I suppose that’s a big reason I’m here.’

Nearly a week ago special agent Hotaru Tomoe of reported to her commander’s office, dressed in her standard work clothes, a simple yet stylish suit. Colonel Haruka Tenoh and her aide Michiru Kaoru had greeted her, then Haruka had explained what was going on.

“This is Minako Aino,” Haruka said, the boyish looking blonde handing over a photo, “one of Japan’s many idol stars.”

Looking at that blue eyed blonde in the photo Hotaru wondered if she had been to a plastic surgeon, she looked so beautiful in a innocent sort of way. “I’ve seen her show, I think,” she handed the photo back.

“It’s the show that’s the problem,” Michiru said wryly, the green haired commander handing another sheet of paper over, this one detailing reports of various threats.

As a frowning Hotaru read away Haruka nodded grimly and said, “It seems that a certain extreme religious organization has targeted Miss Aino as a corrupting influence, and have sworn to see her dead.”
Hotaru raised her eyebrow, “What did she do?”

“In a interview she called anyone who would use bombings and terrorist acts cowards,” Michiru said with a slight smile, “and added that anyone killing innocent people in the name of God was going straight to hell.”

“That would annoy certain people,” Hotaru acknowledged.

“Your assignment is fairly straight forward,” Haruka said briskly, “we want you to guard Minako undercover, at least until we can find the terror cell that issued the threat against her and take them out.”

“She’s still in school, right?” Hotaru read over the file quickly, “Does that mean I’m going in as a schoolgirl?”

Haruka nodded as she explained, “I have to confess, part of why we chose you is that you can pass as a teen.” With a impish smile she pointed out teasingly, “Why, no one would guess you’re in your mid twenties.”

“Don’t remind me,” Hotaru murmured with a frown of annoyance, “I get asked for identification all the time.”

“We’ll set you up with a cover as Minako’s latest girlfriend,” Michiru said cheerfully, “it’ll give you a great excuse to stay close to her.”

“Girlfriend?” Hotaru looked mildly surprised.

“You don’t read the gossip mags?” Haruka looked amused. “Miss Aino doesn’t really hide her sexuality, which is a yet another reason for them to attack her.”

“This should be interesting,” Hotaru conceded.

“Hotaru,” Minako sounded annoyed as she took her hand, jerking her back to the here and now, “if you keep ignoring me, I’m going to get annoyed.”

“Sorry,” Hotaru smiled, unwillingly charmed by the innocent sweetness that Minako could so easily manage to manifest.

“It’s all right,” Minako smiled. She looked at the others and asked, “Could you excuse us a moment?”

With a grin and a few laughs the other girls hurried off, leaving Minako and Hotaru alone. “What was that about?” Hotaru asked softly as Minako snuggled close, the blonde drawing Hotaru almost uncomfortably near. ‘Remember, it’s all part of your cover,’ Hotaru thought as her heart raced.
“Sorry, news photographer,” Minako carefully gestured, “if I’m not seen being at least a bit affectionate with you, they aren’t going to buy that you’re my girlfriend....”

“Right,” Hotaru looked up, a bit embarrassed that Minako had seen the man first. ‘Then again, this is a life she’s used to,’ she thought, covertly gazing at the man with the camera, taking in his stance and manner in a single glance.

“Eeek!” Minako squealed in shock as she was pushed behind a nearby car, the first shot ringing out even as Hotaru dived in behind her.

‘A gun hidden in the camera.’ Hotaru thought as she yanked up her school skirt, drawing the pistol she kept strapped to her thigh. “Stay down,” she ordered Minako even as she sighted over the hood of the car and fired.

“He’s shooting at us!” Minako actually sounded offended by the whole idea even as the bullets whizzed on by them.

“Not very well, thankfully,” Hotaru scowled as the windshield of the car shattered, showering them with fragments of glass.

“My hair,” Minako growled, “do you know how long it takes me to Do that?!” She looked ready to leap up and go after the assassin herself, “Damn it!”

‘Remind me not to annoy her,’ Hotaru thought wryly, taking another shot and this time successfully hitting the camera/gun that he was using, sending him reeling back. “Stay here,” she ordered as Hotaru raced from cover, shouting towards the man, “Hands up!”

“Never, godless harlot,” he snarled, his face twisted by anger. From a concealed sheath up his sleeve he drew out a wicked looking knife, the edge gleaming dangerously as he said, “The whore must die!”

“That’s no way to talk to a lady,” Hotaru rushed close, kicking out wildly to force him backwards. Once he was off balance she fired again, aiming with eerie precision into his knife wielding shoulder and forcing him to drop the blade.

“No,” he reached into his bulky jacket and pulled a cord.

It was the soft click that tipped Hotaru off, sending her kicking him backward, wheeling about and then sprinting towards the car and Minako as fast as she could go. “Duck,” she yelled at her as she leapt right over the hood of the car and sprawled into Minako, sending them both crashing to the ground.

“Wha....?!” MInako started.

BOOOM!
The shock wave of the explosion sent debris flying, shattering what was left of the morning’s calm and leaving a eerie stillness in it’s wake. Hotaru was the first to rise from where they crouched, taking in the smoking crater where a man had once stood.

“Are you all right?” Hotaru asked Minako, looking at the younger woman with concern.

“I think so,’ Minako managed weakly. She looked in shock towards the center of the blast, “He really... they actually tried to....”

“I’ll call for help,” Hotaru said to her gently, “just stay still a moment, all right.”

“Right,” Minako managed weakly.

Radioing in about the attack Minako was quickly routed to Haruka, who ordered both the police and national defense forces out. “Stay with Minako,” Haruka ordered, “they may yet take another shot at her.”

“Right,” Hotaru nodded crisply, signing off.

Minako looked her over worriedly as Hotaru walked back and asked, “Are you okay? I saw him pull a knife on you....”

‘I’m fine,” Hotaru reassured her even as the first emergency vehicles began to arrive. Using her authority she quickly gave a statement then got herself and Minako clear, heading back to Minako’s home rather than continuing with school.

“Welcome home,” Setsuna Meiou greeted her adopted daughter Minako with a hug, then gave Hotaru a hug too, startling the girl. “Thank you,” she said to Hotaru softly.

“You’ve heard?” Hotaru asked with a faint blush.

“No details, just a failed attack,” Setsuna confirmed.

Minako grinned at her mother, “You should have seen it, Hotaru was just incredible!” With that the bubbly starlet proceeded to give her a blow by blow account of the incident, with sound effects included.

‘Oh god,’ Hotaru fought down a blush.

“Nicely done,” Setsuna agreed, eyes twinkling with amusement. “So,” she looked at Hotaru, “do you think this was the man making the threats?”

“My superiors think it was a organization,” Hotaru said a bit apologetically, “it looks like I’ll be sticking around for a bit until we’re sure Minako is safe.”

“Good,” Minako smiled, giving Hotaru a look that could almost be called predatory.

‘Uh oh,’ Hotaru thought.

To be continued....