Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ The Beauty In You ❯ A Hunter's Reach ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
The Beauty in You
by Lady Amber
Part Three

DISCLAIMERS: Standard disclaimers apply. This version of the Beast is mine, Kofukuno Kagi is mine. Don't touch GR!
NOTES: Parentheses () around a phrase mean it's telepathic speech ok?
Wow, I didn't expect this one to go on so looooooong. Well, I guess that's cause the chapters are so short.. OH well,.. enjoy!
amby-chan@sailormoon.com
Remember that addy! It's important!
Amber


Chapter One: Wednesday evening, Peppermint Palace downtown Tokyo;

The ice cream shop was small, and reminded everyone who came into it of the Gingerbread house in the story of Hansel and Gretel. The tables were peppermint candies, the curtains vanilla icing. The floor was tiled with Smarties and Nekkos, the walls tiled with licorice and peppermint sticks. The chairs were wrought shoe laces, red licorice strings, the counter a long, creamy looking candy bar. Even the plates and forks were designed with different candies in mind. Already it was a very popular place; Kagi was fortunate that they'd taken her on as part-time worker.

Now she was off-duty, sitting at the bar and sipping some hot cocoa, her dark violet eyes sad and more than a bit troubled. "Here Kagi-chan," one of her older waitress friends sat a milkshake in front of her. Peppermint cream, her favorite, and a specialty found only at the Peppermint Palace.

"Arigato[*thanks] Aiberu-san.. I appreciate it.." Kagi said with a small smile, sipping the drink gratefully. A peppermint milkshake was just what she needed right now, after her depressing confrontation with Beast. She couldn't believe he was such a jerk! No wonder he was so lonely and vengeful.. No one'd want to be around such an arrogant, unrefined boorish pig like him!

"Huh?" She looked up at Aiberu-san. The elder waitress smiled understandingly and repeated her words.

"I said, young love is tough, but.. You'll get through it my child." She smiled comfortingly. Kagi sweatdropped.

"No,.. Gomennasaii Aiberu-san, but I'm not in love, I was just thinking and-"

"Oh pish posh! Don't tell me you're not in love young lady. I can read
all the signs." Aiberu winked. "Trust me.. I'm a mother of five daughters all of them happily married. I know when love's in the air."

Kagi's face had rapidly turned redder and redder as she tried to deter the older woman. "But I'm not in love! Really, you've got to trust me.. I'm just thoughtful that's all."

Aiberu studied her thoughtfully for a moment, a small secretive smile on her lips. "Ah, so you haven't decided to let the lucky man know yet? Ah.. Well, I'm sure you and your sweetheart will eventually find yourself together. Just hold onto your dreams dear one, and everything'll fall into place from there." She smiled, patted Kagi's hand comfortingly and moved on to other customer.

Kagi watched her go, frowning. Why did Aiberu say she was in love? She'd known Aiberu only for a little while, but she already trusted the woman's instincts completely. She seemed to know everything about people, sometimes even things that not even they themselves knew. Could she really be in love? With who?

She paled. No.. No no no no nonononono.. She shook her head, stubbornly pushing the thought from her mind. It was impossible.. It'd never work out, and besides, she didn't even like the Beast!! He was boorish, pigheaded, egotistical, uncaring and ... and he needed her..

"Gomennasaii misu [*pardon me miss], but, is this seat taken?" Kagi looked up, right into the greenest eyes she'd ever seen. He had dark bronze haired that fell over his green eyes, dressed in a smart looking business suit. He was absolutely adorable.

And he was sitting next to her. "Um, no.. Go.. go ahead, sit down.." She heard herself say, but as if from a million miles away. His eyes were locked on hers, drawing her in, destroying her will,.. and she didn't care.

"McClaire.. James McClaire." He stuck out his hand. She found herself shaking it. His grip was firm and strong, his hands warm and dry. She swallowed.

"Konnichiwa.. Kofukuno Kagi.."

"Kagi.. That's a very pretty name. It means Key doesn't it?" He said with a devil-may-care smile. She blushed at the piercing intensity of his gaze.

"Yes.. My whole name means Key of Happiness.. My mother thought it was a petty name..." Why was she telling him that? Like he cared! But, it was almost like he did. His eyes were wide with interest, he was leaning towards her slightly as if she enthralled him. He certainly knows how to make a girl feel wanted.. she thought.

"I think it's quite a good description of such a beautiful young lady as you. You'll certainly bring one lucky man out there incredible happiness.." he smiled at the light blush on her cheeks.

"A.arigato McClaire-san.." She brushed some auburn strands of hair out of her eyes, busying herself with a sip of her peppermint shake. He made her so flustered!

He smiled again, leaned forward to brush his fingers across her auburn curls. "Please.. call me James-chan.. It would be my pleasure..." He said with another of those disarming smiles.

"All right.. James-chan.." She ventured shyly, grinning for no reason at all except that all the girls' eyes in the cafe were on her, boring into her with jealous glares for snagging the hottest guy in Tokyo. Except she hadn't meant to or wanted to "snag" him.

"So, Kagi-chan, .. are you here alone?" He said with a small smile of concern for her well-being. She smiled.

"I work here.. My apartment's also near here and I wanted to get out, .. and get a Peppermint Palace Pick-up.." She said softly, stirring her straw around in her drink, not looking at him. She couldn't look at those beautiful green eyes of his without blushing.. He seemed to see right through her, right into her very heart and soul.. The man was so disconcerting..

He smiled again, and she felt a shiver as she spared a glance at him. For some reason, she didn't trust him. He was too charming, too sweet, too good to be real. She finished her Pick-up and smiled.

"Excuse me James-san, but I should really be getting home.." He rose with her.

"Oh, douzo [*please],.. allow me to assist you home. The streets are dark, and what with that monster roaming around looking for blood with absolutely no conscience, I'd really feel better if I saw you to your door." He smiled and she felt her resolve melting.

"Oh, I'm sure he's no where around here.. I'm quite sure that I'll be safe,.." She managed a small, confident smile, and started to walk past him, but he caught her hand in his, pulling it to his chest. His eyes were sincere.

"Douzo,.. Just to the door of your building, I promise. And then I'll leave.." The last vestiges of her resolve disappeared into the air around her with just one look from his eyes. She sighed.

"I guess, just to the door.."

"Suteki[*great!]!" He opened the door for her, and she walked through with a small thank you, into the chill night air. The full moon was bright out, the stars diamonds on a velvet black pedestal, covered by the glass casing of the crystal clear air.

"So, you live near here?" She asked politely as they walked, to simply break the silence. He shook his head.

"Iie[*no], I live on the other end of town. I was just here on.. business." He looked at her with a wide, dazzling smile, displaying rows of perfect white teeth. "But of course that business is secondary to a beautiful woman's welfare."

She blushed. "Here's my stop,.. Arigato for walking me home, I appreciate it."

"Wouldn't want that disgusting freak show attacking such a beautiful young lady, would we?" He smiled again and Kagi forced herself to agree, nodding with a fake smile plastered on her lips.

"Ja ne[*goodbye] James-chan.." She said with a small bow, turned and fled into the safety of the empty foyer.

Back on the street, James McClaire put his hands in the large pockets of his trenchcoat, feeling the cold metal bite of the gun hidden within. Eyes gleaming like ice daggers, his eyes scanned the windows.

"Kagi, .. the key.." He smiled and turned, disappearing into the shadows.


Chapter Two: Tsukino Residence, Wednesday night;

"Luna, do you really think that Beast was evil?" Usagi asked, laying on her back on her bed, her head off the edge, eyes staring up at the full moon framed in her window.

"What a silly question.." Luna replied from her pillow where she'd curled up. "If he wasn't evil, than pray tell why did he nearly kill all those people?"

"Kagi says maybe it was because no one even tries to understand him. She says it's because he was angry at being judged.." Usagi said thoughtfully, still upside down. Luna peeked over the edge, looking down at her mistress with wide eyes. Since when was Usagi so thoughtful?

"This has really got you worked up hasn't it? Are you sure it didn't inject you with poison or something when it scratched you?" She asked, teasing. Usagi glared at her.

"No, I'm not worked up.. It's just made me think that's all.. I mean, why would he do that? I can't imagine a life like that." She fell silent, but then shook her head, smiling slightly. "Oh well, .. I'm not going to worry about it now. Let's go to bed ok Luna?" Luna looked at Usagi worriedly as the blonde climbed into the covers, curling up and falling asleep almost instantly. Luna shook her head and looked at her protégé for another moment, eyes narrowed, before she too curled up and slept.

(Usagi..)

Usagi stirred slightly, turning over her in bed, falling even deeper into sleep. The voice echoed softly in her mind, like the fading chime of a bell, drawing her deeper and deeper into her mind.

(Usagi, Usagi.. Moon bunny, know and understand..)

'Know and understand what??' Usagi thought as she fell into the spinning void of dreams.

(Usagi, it's time for you to understand.) The voice whispered again, a soothing balm to her troubled mind. She straightened, blinking her eyes against the rainbow of light that invaded her dark sanctuary.

'Time to understand WHAT??' Usagi yelled back, twisting around. 'Where are you? I can't see you! And who are you? What am I doing here? Tell me!' Her voice rang out and died in the vast nothingness. She frowned. 'TELL ME! Please!! I need to know!'

(Usagi.. *laughter* You're so much like your mother.. Princess Serenity, always as curious and playful as a kitten. Always getting in to trouble and never really understanding why she was in trouble..) Soft laughter bubbled up, laughter that made Usagi smile and want to laugh too.

'Who are you? Mother? Is that you?'

(No..) The voice was soft, reminiscent almost.. (Your mother is here though, watching you. She's so proud of you. It's almost enough to make me wish..) The voice trailed off, and then laughed gently, softly.

'What?' Usagi demanded.

(Nothing. I've wasted too much time already. Usagi, now is the time for you to understand just what my dear Tora has been going through all these years.. A millennia is a long time to live, especially for one such as he.)

'Tora? A millennia? But.. that would have been back in the Silver Millennia..' Usagi gasped. 'Is Tora the Beast? Are you telling me that the Beast has been like that for a millennia??' There was no answer. 'Tell me, please, I need to know!!'

(No, I won't tell you.. But, .. I will show you..) And Usagi fell into a spinning voice of dreams, her head almost bursting with everything around her as she was forced to endure a millennia of hatred and torture.

And then a thousand voices screamed at her "BEAST!". She opened her mouth to protest, to cry out, to plead for them to see, but before she could, she suddenly felt a sharp pain in her side, looking down to find herself bleeding. She opened her mouth to protest, but before she could, a handsome man appeared before her, his teal eyes cloudy with sadness.

"Who are you?" She demanded.

"Who are you? You are a woman. I am a man. But only because of our appearances. What if I called you Beast? Monster? Freak? What would that say about me?" He looked sad. "I learned almost a millennia ago never to cross a fae."

"Are you Tora-san?" Usagi asked.

"Yes. I am the Beast. I am the man who was cursed with a lifetime of hatred and anger to endure and bear, I am the man who would forever be scarred by this. Yet my soul is not lost to darkness yet. Help me Sailormoon, Usagi-san! Help me!" He reached out a hand to her, pleading with her, crying for help, but when she reached for him, he fell out of her reach.

"TORA!!" Usagi cried, running after him. And then out of the corner of her eye she saw someone else running. It was a girl! Her auburn curls bouncing with every step, her violet eyes filled with tears, she ran past Usagi without a glance at her.

Usagi slowed down a bit in amazement as she watched the girl fly into Tora's arms. She bit her lip, staring at the two who embraced as if they'd known each other forever. What did this mean?

Suddenly, a man appeared. He was laughing.. why was he laughing? There was a maniacal look in his eyes as he took out a dagger. Usagi opened her mouth to scream out a warning, to tell Tora and the girl to get out of the way, but she couldn't move!!

The man plunged the dagger deep into Tora's back. Tora cried out in pain, falling into his love's arms. Crimson blood flowed over them both as the man disappeared back into the shadows, laughing harder. The girl screamed, and screamed again, as if someone was ripping her heart out. She folded herself over Tora protectively as the man appeared again, laughing as the girl's tears and Tora's blood mixed around his feet, the dagger in his hand.

The girl's unprotected back faced him.

He raised the dagger.

Usagi screamed.

And then Usagi woke up.


Chapter Three: Wednesday night, Kofukuno apartment;

Kagi walked into her apartment, glancing at the couch, where her mother sat, wrapped up in a blanket, a cup of tea in her hands. "Hi mum.. How was your day at work?" Kagi asked as she sat down next to her mother, hugging her tightly. Subasa made a valiant effort to smile, but her obvious fatigue was almost palpable.

"Just like every other day sweets.. Don't worry about me. How was your day at school? Do you like the new school? Made any new friends?" Subasa's eyes followed her daughter as Kagi shed her school things, changing into a comfortable black skirt and a plain white sweater, pulling her curls out of her face with a purple ribbon and slipping her feet into her slippers. Kagi busied herself in the kitchen as she talked, making her mother the supper that
Subasa herself had no energy to make.

"Well I'm good Mum. I met a group of girls who are really nice, especially Usagi-chan. She's got a bunch of friends, and they're all really nice, really different, but nice. I think they were all outcasts at some time or another, and now they're all together, and they welcomed me in.. There's Ami-chan, she's the scholar, and Rei-chan. She's the one who owns the temple they hang out at. She's pretty and confident, and a priestess too. Makoto-chan is like our protector, she's really tall and won't take any bull, but at the same time she's a great cook and a wonderful seamstress. Minako-chan is a great singer and an actress, and she's really nice. I think she'd be a great PR officer someday for some high-rise millionaire 'cause she's not at all afraid to speak her mind. Usagi's cousin, Chibiusa, hangs out with us sometimes, but she's got her own friends, including Momo, who's also called Peaches, and Asuka.." Kagi set a steaming plate of stir-fry and rice in front of her mother, who gratefully took the food and began to eat ravenously. Kagi watched her mother with sad eyes..

"I'm glad you've made some friends.. I was always terrible at making friends. I was so scared they'd laugh at me that I went through my school years without a single friend. I don't want you to have to endure that.. That's another reason we moved here, because I knew you weren't getting on good with the kids at that other school.." Subasa looked up at Kagi, who was sitting on the edge of the table in front of her. Kagi's eyes were dark with tears, regretful. Subasa sighed, reaching for her daughter. Kagi willingly nestled into the cushions next to her mother, putting her head on Subasa's shoulder.

"Mum,.. when are we going home? I mean, it's great here and all, but.. I miss Gram." Kagi's eyes filled with tears at the thought of Gram, a small, spritely young lady with silver white hair and sky blue eyes. Gram seemed to be ageless; she lived alone, always had, always would, and steadfastly maintained that one could eat all the chocolate they wanted as long as it was accompanied by a smile and a happy thought. It had broken Kagi's heart to have to leave her father's mother, but Gram had told her firmly that they'd see each other again.

Subasa sighed. "Well, if I can't get a better job here, .. We'll have to go home. We can't stay in Tokyo if I don't have a job, and I'm not going to make you work any more than you absolutely have to. I know the Peppermint Palace is a great place to be, .. but you're only young once and I don't want you to waste it."

"Mum, I can't bear seeing you drag so much.. You're working way too hard. I should be working. I'm younger than you and I can deal with it." Kagi argued softly, seeing the tears in Subasa's eyes.

"No. That's final.. You just be happy all right? I don't want you to start your life off in misery such as this." Kagi glanced around the small apartment, shaking her head slightly.

"Mum, I'm happy. I'd be happier if Gram was here, but I can be content with less.. Don't work yourself to death, because I'd rather have nothing and still have you than have all the things I wanted and not have you."

Subasa looked down at her daughter, smiling. "You've got so much of Koori in you, .. it's almost scary to hear you talk exactly like him sometimes." Kagi's eyes widened; Subasa NEVER talked about Koori! Determined to get as much information as she could, she looked at her mother earnestly.

"What was Dad like?"

Subasa looked down at her daughter, thought a moment, and then sighed. "I guess you're old enough to hear about him.. I should have told you all this a long time ago anyway..." Subasa's eyes got misty as she looked into the air, focusing on some point in the distant past. "Your father? ..Oh.. He was wonderful.. He had this golden hair, wavy, that fell past his chin. It was forever in his eyes. And oh.. what eyes they were. Just like you, they were this impossibly beautiful shade of dark violet. They sparkled with life and happiness.. His whole being was just oozing with health and the joy of life. And he had such an electric personality. He made even a rose seem like the Crown Jewels of England. The first time I gave him something, it was nothing really, just a small little paperweight I'd saw and picked up, he made me feel as if I'd given him a million dollars.. I loved him so much."

"Really?" Kagi urged. There was a sparkle in Subasa's eyes that only got there when she talked of Koori, and Kagi wanted to hear more. Talking about Koori was so much better than arguing about their conditions. "How did you guys first meet?"

"Well.. I was working for Mr. Kofukuno. He was the head of Destiny Enterprises. He was a nice, nice man, with sand colored hair and a warm smile. He was absolutely relentless in his business deals, but his treatment of his own people made up for it completely. He was married to a breath-taking woman named Selene. Selene was so beautiful.. She had a face as pale and delicate as a rose, with long, luxurious white hair and wide azure eyes. She wore two odangoes in her hair, pulled back from the sides and pinned in place with two crescent moon pins. She possessed this kind of graceful serenity that off-set her husband's never-ending energy. Koori was their only son, and they spoiled him rotten, but it never seemed to make him mean or cruel, just intent to help other people feel the same. Koori had just returned from a trip to America.. I was working at my desk, incredibly nervous.. I'd never been a personal secretary before, and to be Mr. Kofukuno's secretary was a bit intimidating. Well Koori came right out of that elevator, and plunked a giant box down on my desk.. 'My father said he had a new secretary and I thought I'd get her something to make her feel at home.' He was such a romantic.. I didn't know until later that Koori'd seen me working and had personally asked his father to introduce them. It was by pure luck that at the same time Mr. Kofukuno had asked me to be his secretary. Anyway, we started dating not too long after that, and then, we were married. The Kofukunos were so supportive of us.. then, Selene disappeared."

"Disappeared?" Kagi asked her mother. Subasa sighed.

"Yes, disappeared. In the middle of the night. Mr. Kofukuno swore he heard her tell him to love Koori and that she'd always be with them. Then, he said, she turned and leaped right out of the building."

Kagi gasped. "She KILLED herself?"

"See that was the funny thing.. Mr. Kofukuno swore she didn't fall, but was lifted up by angel wings or something like that, right into the sky. The police believed that part to be false,.. but, they never did find her body, and a woman of her beauty would have been spotted in an instant. Mr. Kofukuno was never the same after that.. He'd sit for days staring up into the sky. The company was in shambles.. Koori had his hands full trying to pull them together. You were born right in the middle of that mess. Mr. Kofukuno came into the hospital, took one look at you and..." Subasa paused.

"And what Mum? What happened next?"

"Well.. he turned to me and said in the most hideously painful voice "She has her grandmother's essence", turned and walked right out of the hospital. Then he crawled into bed, went to sleep, and didn't wake up ever again."

"Oh!" Kagi gasped. "He died?"

"Yes.." Subasa sighed, nodding sadly. "Peacefully, in his sleep.. Well, Koori never really got over losing both of his parents so dramatically, but.. We went on. And for a while, the company was going great. About four years later, your fourth birthday came around. Koori had just gone to get your birthday cake.. He was driving, and.." Subasa was shaking slightly, tears hidden deep in her eyes springing forth to roll down her cheeks. "He was never found, .. the smoldering heap that was his car was found at the base of a hundred foot tall cliff. Apparently, he'd for some reason lost control of his car. They never found his body."

"God Mum.. how.. horrid.." Kagi whispered, her eyes filled with tears like her mother's. "But.. why didn't you tell me? Why did you hide this from me for all these years?"

"Because it's bad enough that we're broke, penniless,.. but to have the shadows, the blackness of the past hanging over your head too.. the thought was unbearable. And.. I just couldn't talk about it. How was I supposed to tell you that your father just disappeared? And your grandmother? You were so young, I didn't want to hurt you." Subasa sighed. "I'm sorry."

"Oh Mum..." Kagi reached out and hugged her mother tightly. The older woman put her arms around her daughter and simply held her for a moment. Kagi was sad, but relieved. She didn't have to wonder anymore, didn't have to worry what dark secrets were lurking in her past.

"I'm.. I'm sorry darling." Subasa said, her voice sounding distant and tired. "I should have told you sooner." She set down the bowl and fork that had held her supper and looked at her daughter with a forced smile.

"Don't worry about it Mum. We're all right. We'll make it, don't you worry. I don't care if I have to spend my free nights working in the Peppermint Palace." Kagi said with a determined smile, her violet eyes truthful and honest. Her mother reached out and took her hand, squeezing it gently.

"Thank you, love. Now. You've got school tomorrow and I've got work. We'd better get to bed." She was suddenly all business, shooing Kagi off the couch and towards the single bedroom. Kagi grinned and tucked her mother in, giving her a kiss on the cheek. Her mother was almost asleep, the lines in her face relaxing as she drifted into slumber. Shifting, Subasa murmured something, but Kagi didn't hear her correctly.. It had sounded like she'd said "Koori, she knows."

Kagi shook her head and glanced around the small apartment, suddenly reluctant to go to bed. She just wanted to stand there in the small room, listening to the steady tic of the clock on the wall.

She lost herself in thoughts of different times, wondering what her father had been like, whether he'd have been proud of her or not, when a sudden sound brought her back to reality. She shook her head and listened for it again. It had sounded like a wolf wailing. She frowned; was it the Beast?

She crossed to the door and pushed her way out into the hallway, coming face to face with.. James McClaire. "Oh!! Gomennasaii!!" She burst out, her hand flying to her face. He seemed preoccupied, staring down the hallway, almost not seeming to notice that she'd just bumped into him.

"It's fine, Kagi-chan." He murmured, and she looked at him intently. Something was different, .. he wasn't the same charmer that he'd been in the Peppermint Palace. Instead, he seemed to be listening intently to something. She tilted her head, and then heard it -- the low, clacking sound of claws on a kitchen tile floor. Her eyes widened, and she nearly gasped. 'James!! Bounty James!! He's after Beast!!'

"Ah.. ah.. James-chan!!" She grabbed his arm suddenly, adopting her most sickeningly sweet expression, looking at him with what she hoped were gaga eyes. He stared down at her rather disgustedly, annoyance flashing across his face before he managed to pull down his mask, his snake-charming smile. Her heart ran cold at the sight of it.

"I was just going to give something to you, darling Kagi-chan." His voice was silky and smooth, but forced, as if he had to make himself be so sweet to her. She could play that game, smiling innocently.

"Really, James-chan? I so hoped I'd see you again.." She gushed, glad she'd taken drama class in her old school. She could play her part to a T. He returned her emotionless, forced smile, unable to keep the surprise out of his voice.

He leaned forward slightly, smiling still. "I'm glad to hear that, dear Kagi-chan, because I'm certainly glad to see you again..." She nearly gasped in surprise as his arm snaked around her waist, pulling her closer to him. She felt her heart thudding in her chest, fear icing the blood in her veins. He was staring at her intently, all of his energy focused on her, her alone. Her mind went blank, and all she could do was look at him, unable to draw back as he slowly lowered his lips to hers.

She nearly gagged. She'd never been kissed before, but all the descriptions she'd heard of it didn't prepare her for the emotions that assailed her. His lips were hard against hers, his grip on her too tight. She felt confined, the urge to fight back nearly overwhelming her.

But she couldn't! She reminded herself. She had to go through with this -- to keep him from discovering about Beast... The kiss seemed to drag on and on, while she fought to distance herself from it. Finally, he pulled away, and she gasped for breath, keeping herself from pulling away from his grasp. He held her tight to his body still.

"Kagi.." He whispered in a fake voice. "You know, you can tell me anything, dear Kagi.. I would never do anything to hurt you, all I want is to know everything you know..."

She licked her lips, eyes searching for a way out as she stalled for time. "James-chan, I don't know what you're talking about.." She tried to keep her voice as flippant and light as possible, innocent, if you will.

Something like a shadow passed across his face, and in that instant she saw what a terrible monster he was, all the cold, angry, cruel feelings churning inside of him. She resisted a shudder, staring at his face as he fought for control of himself again. His mask slipped back into place as he smiled charmingly again. "I think you do, Kagi..." She tensed as he lowered his head again, her heart screaming for her to fight him, to get away from this monster, this beast, but her head told her quietly that if she pulled away now he'd KNOW that she was hiding something.

His lips pushed against hers again and her insides writhed in disgust and anger. How could she let him do this to her? But she didn't have a choice.. Except.. She could turn the Beast in! Then she wouldn't have to worry any more, .. he'd learn his lesson, his head mounted on the wall.

The door down the hall opened and slammed shut again, James straightening immediately, facing whomever had just disrupted them. Kagi's eyes were slightly blurry, and her head hung, trying to get her thoughts back in order. What had just happened? What had just tried to change her, to corrupt her?

"Gomen.." The voice was grating and harsh, unused to the apology, which didn't seem to be all too heart-felt. It was strangely familiar. "I didn't know I was.. interrupting you." His voice struck the air with a tone of scorn and anger, and she felt James' hands clench on her back. She whimpered slightly in pain, thrusting herself away from him. He let her go and she stood on her own, raising her head to look at the stranger.

James stood partially in her way, his fists clenched, body stiff and angry. He was facing someone who'd just come out of the room the Beast was in. Kagi felt despair flood through her. Their secret was out! Someone must have heard him and discovered the Beast.. He wouldn't have been able to escape in his weakened condition. Through her despair she found herself studying the stranger.

He was tall, broadly built, with hair of a dark chestnut color, the color of dark, polished wood. He was wearing loose jeans, untied sneakers, a baseball cap pulled low, a jacket, and a loose white shirt. He seemed to be sloppily dressed, as if he wasn't used to doing it himself. Teal eyes that struck a familiar chord within her were focused on James, and.. she realized with a cold clench of fear, on her as well.

"If you two are finished.." His voice was barely civil, conveying rage and.. pain? Had the Beast hurt him? It would be just the thing she'd expect from that.. thing in the other room. What was she thinking?? She didn't feel that way about the Beast! She shook her head again, trying to fight off a strange fogginess that had settled on her brain.

James stepped forward, a slight laugh in his voice. "We're done now." He turned and kissed Kagi again on the cheek; she winced away from it subconsciously. "I'll see you again later, my lovely Kagi." He said, and it sounded more like a threat than a promise. She shuddered.

The man hadn't moved, his hands shoved into his pockets, his eyes staring at her. He was quite handsome, with finely chiseled features and looks that put even James to shame, a sort of distant elegance about him. He reminded her of the type of man you'd place as a knight in shining armor. Only, this knight was being far from chivalrous.

He stalked towards her angrily, and she backed away. "How DARE you?!" He snarled, his hand closing on her arm. She cried out and tried to pull her arm from his grasp, but he was too strong.

"What are you talking about?! Leave me alone!! I have to go see someone.." She protested, looking into his darkly fuming teal eyes. And then it struck her. The color drained from her face as she stared at him. "Oh god.. I.. Is that you.. Beast?"

"The name is Tora." He said.. No.. Snarled. "Kagi? That's your name? Ironic isn't it? I never knew your name before now, but now I'll remember it." Pain coursed through her -- he was gripping her arm like he wanted to pinch it off.

"What are you talking about?!" She yelled, struggling.

His other hand clamped on her other arm, holding her immobile. He lowered his face slightly to stare into hers, his eyes taking on a strangely quiet look. His grip on her loosened, and he didn't say anything. Kagi trembled slightly, not out of pain, but out of something else, something she couldn't place. All she could do was stare up into his eyes. It was so different than James, she realized, this feeling that she got from his gaze.

"Tora?" She whispered his name quietly, and for a moment it seemed as if he was torn. He wanted nothing more than to pull her to him, hug her and kiss her and tell her of all the feelings that she provoked in him. But then.. it would serve only to kill him would it? She'd already chosen the man for her -- that bounty hunter, the very one she'd said she was trying to protect him from.

"Tora?" She prompted again, touching his cheek gently. That look in his face -- all at once it was vulnerable, wanting, loving, and gentle, emotions she'd never seen in him. And then, his face changed, pain and anger replacing the desire that she'd saw just a moment ago. His grip tightened on her for one unbearable moment, and then, with an inhumane roar, he cast her away from him like he could no longer bear to even look at her.

She cried out as she hit the wall and slid down to the ground, pain flooding through her like a river. Pushing herself up, tears coursed down her cheeks as her gaze focused on his tall form. "Tora! Wait! What's wrong? What did I do??" She reached for him, standing there, torn in the middle of the hallway. He stared at her for a moment, pain in his gaze, but turned from her.

"I thought I could trust you. You said you wanted to help me.. And.. I believed you! I believed IN you, Kagi! I thought that just maybe, just maybe I'd find the answer to my curse. I thought you could break it Kagi.. I thought I had a chance with you..." His gaze returned to her, and she nearly cried at the utter loss in his eyes, the agony she'd caused. "But you've chosen haven't you? You never really intended to help me DID you? You were just keeping me in one place until that bastard of yours could come and shoot me, so you could get the reward money.." He drew himself up, and she fought to find the words to tell him what had really happened, but nothing came.

"But.. That's not what happened at all, Tora! You've got to believe me, that's not what was going on!"

"Don't LIE to me!" He turned from her, his voice dropping to a quiet tone, full of pain. "Just don't say anything anymore Kagi. Don't lie to me anymore. I'm leaving and I don't want you to follow me."

"But.." She climbed to her feet, leaning back against the wall for a moment, her mind numb. What could she say that would convince him that she wasn't lying? What was there that she could do to show him that she'd just done it to save him, not to harm him? "It wasn't like that!" She burst out. He didn't respond.

"Please, Tora. You've got to believe me, I wasn't trying to betray you. He was trying to get me to tell where you were, but I didn't tell him, really I didn't!" She reached out to him, put her hand on his arm, trying desperately to think of a way, any way to fix this.

He turned to look at her over his shoulder, and she drew back at his expression. "Stop lying. Just.. Stop LYING!" And then, he grabbed her arm, his grip tightening until she felt like her wrist was going to be crushed in half. "Leave me alone. Leave me to die in peace." He pushed her away from him, looking at her contemptuously. "I never want to see you again."

And then he turned and walked away, disappearing down the dark hallway. "TORA! Tora stop!! Please!" Kagi cried, sinking to her knees. He didn't look back once, just kept walking. She felt herself crumble inside, the sobs welling up inside of her nearly choking her.

"Tora.. please.. come back..." She whispered, her tears falling like liquid diamonds onto the rough carpet of the hallway floor. "You don't understand.." She folded over on herself, her bangs brushing the carpet.

"Tora I'd never hurt you.. Come back... Please, come back to me..."


~*~

And that's where Part Three ends! *gasp* I know! It's so unfair of me!!

I want to personally apologize for the SERIOUS delay in getting this out to all of you. I really meant to finish this up a LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time ago, but it just didn't happen. Don't worry, I do intend to finish it, rest assured!!

So, look out for the finale, Part Four, coming your way, on websites every where soon!

EMAIL ME: CandC: amby-chan@sailormoon.com

w/love in the name of the moon!
AMBY-CHAN