Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ The Disaffected Life ❯ Chapter Five ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Author’s Notes:

Taking a break from Yuki to introduce….

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo


The Disaffected Life,
Chapter Five,
By Monikku





Haruka sat, staring down at her meal with displeasure. Her apartment was bitterly quiet. She had been so unaccustomed to loneliness. The irony struck her, suddenly, as being quite absurd. She spent the majority of her life seeking the solace of being alone. She spoke to no one, had few friends, and tried her best to distance herself from her family. The embrace of her anger had been so comforting, laying in the coffin-esque museum her parents dared to call a home. Now, however, the lack of life, and the only sound being her own breathing, this she found stifling. Haruka rose from her seat, leaving her dinner untouched, and left her apartment; the hollow click of the door, the only noise left to displace the silence.


oooooooooooooooooooooo


It felt as though she had been walking for hours, the sun had sunken into the sea long ago. It amazed her that the hordes of people on Tokyo streets never seemed to wane, only the types of people had changed. Earlier, when initially she began her trek to nowhere, there had been suits rushing to train stations, blathering into cell phones about dinner plans or business. Now there was a younger crowd, dressed to embark the night, the only trait that tied the two groups together was cell phones. Haruka loathed cell phones, they were nuisance, she felt, an absolute tether to everyone and anyone who wished to seek you out no matter the time nor place. There was no consideration of your desires, a ringing phone was the chime of obligation.

For the first time in a very long time, she took a moment to survey her city. Looking up at the high-rises, the neon lights littering the horizon, there seemed a ridiculousness to it all... and in that exaggerated sense of reality, a certain beauty. Standing still, irritating the by passers with her immobility, she stared straight up at the sky and the building tops that kissed it on all sides. Anytime her world deafened her with its stillness, all she need do was step outside and feel the thrum of humanity moving steadily forwards. For that, she would be eternally grateful. Tokyo was truly a marvel to her, and understandably an epicenter of the world.

Haruka heard a voice from just behind her before she felt an arm rudely push her aside. "Hey, don't just stand there, get the fuck out of the way!" a masculine voice yelled, followed by a trill of feminine laughter. Catching her balance in an instant, Haruka stood and watched as a boy and girl ran into the distance. The girl's thick, long, curly silken black hair shimmered in the shine of the moon and neon lights. She turned her head, a bright smile highlighting her gorgeous features, to look back at the dismay she was sure her companion, presumably her boyfriend, had stirred. Their eyes met, and the young girl's smile slithered ungracefully off her beautiful face. It was as if she had seen the chiseled skeleton of Haruka, and before she could even register the movement, Haruka found herself chasing after the two.

In a flash, Haruka had caught up to them, and grabbed the girl by her arm, pulling the girl towards her. The boy, not realising Haruka's pursuit, never slowed down until he felt his companion's hand slip from his. He slowed his pace and turned around. As Haruka slowed to a stop, the girl tripped, and Haruka held her tight to her chest to keep her from falling. The girl seemed so confused in the chaos, but held on to Haruka tightly. Something about her embrace comforted Haruka. They stood together in the middle of the street, blocking a crosswalk, breathing heavily. People rushed by the two as though they were not even there, Haruka found herself unconsciously tightening her hold on the girl. The boy emerged from the sea of people, grabbing the girl by her arm, and wrenching her from Haruka's grasp.

"What the fuck is this?!" he yelled and stepped towards Haruka, furious. He pulled his right arm back, and threw a hook aimed for Haruka's head. She deftly dodged the punch, grabbed the boy's arm, and used the momentum of his own attack to throw him on the ground. The raven-haired girl watched in confusion and horror as the two fought.

"I don't want a fight." Haruka said to the boy.

He got up from the ground, and stood before her, "Well, you fucking found one when you touched my girlfriend!"

At this, the girl seemed to snap out of her trance. She stormed over to the two, pushed Haruka aside, and stood in front of the boy, livid; "Kazuya-san, I am NOT your girlfriend!"

The boy was clearly frustrated by her decent, "Koan, this really isn't the time to argue about this!"

She crossed her arms over her chest, "You can take your wounded ego and leave me the hell alone!"

Haruka shook her head and ran a hand through her hair. She watched in amused disbelief at this Koan-girl's behaviour. Haruka was startled out of her reverie as the occupant of the car in front of them laid their hand on the horn. "Get out of the street, ya brats!" the taxi driver yelled.

Snatching Haruka by the hand, she led the two out of the street and away from the boy. "Don't bother me ever again, Kazuya-san!" Koan roared, her face tensed with anger.


oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo


The two walked hand in hand, wordlessly for some time. To on-lookers, Haruka imagined they seemed nothing more than a handsome young couple. Catching a glimpse of the petite girl beside her, she carefully assessed; porcelain skin, lovely perfect face, a model's build, her countenance unreadable. This girl was sewn tight, but assertive enough to be forceful when she deemed necessary. She wondered how easy it might be to rouse a reaction from this beauty.

Haruka removed her hand from Koan's, and, feeling bold, placed it on her hip. At this gesture, the girl stopped, and stared up at Haruka. "What are you doing?"

"You had been holding hands with a stranger for so long, I thought you might be an entertaining girl." Haruka shrugged, "I took a chance."

Koan closed her eyes and sighed deeply. She brushed off Haruka's hand, turned to Haruka, opened her eyes, and jabbed her index finger into Haruka's collarbone. "YOU ruined my evening!"

Haruka quirked an eyebrow, and stared down at Koan. She found ruffling this girl endlessly entertaining, "I'd like to think I improved upon it."

Koan groaned and rolled her eyes, "Get over yourself. Kazuya was taking me to dinner, and you ruined that for me!"

"I suppose that means I am obligated to treat such a beautiful girl as you to a meal?" Haruka tapped her chin and acted as though she were pondering the prospect deeply. "As much as I hate obligations," Haruka stared down at the raven haired girl, tilted her hand, and smiled dashingly, "I wouldn't mind buying you dinner."

"I won't be taken in by a rich playboy like you, Tenoh-san." Koan replied, and began to walk away.

Haruka caught up to Koan in two steps, "It pleases me to hear you remember my name." Haruka paused, "Why were you watching me today?"

Koan crossed her arms over her chest, "Because you were new."

"I don't think that's the sole reason."

"And I knew you were a girl." Koan replied quickly, nearly cutting off Haruka's sentence.

"Yes, I am. Should that be surprising?"

Koan slanted her eyes and stared up at Haruka as they walked, "I'd bet everyone in the class would think it is."

"My gender doesn't seem to bother you." Haruka pointed out.

"YOU bother me the more we speak," Koan looked down as something inexplicable stirred in her belly, "but your gender doesn't phase me."

“I’m glad,” Haruka responded earnestly. “Where would you like to go?”


ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo


“Koan-san, this isn’t what I had in mind when I said I’d treat you to dinner.” Haruka shifted as they stood in line for a street vendor.

“I’m not going to be indebted to a playboy.” Koan replied tersely.

Haruka laughed heartily at Koan’s headstrong behaviour, “You’re a stubborn woman.”

“Mmmm,” Koan grunted in response.

It became their turn, and they ordered their bento. “I have to admit, sushi from a street vendor frightens me a little.”

“Then don’t order anything,” Koan’s words were growing harsh as the night progressed.

They waited in silence as their food was prepared. When their order was finished, Koan took her food from the vendor, and walked to the well-lit park across the street. Haruka followed the girl without saying a word. Once inside, Koan found a hill, and settled herself under a blossoming sakura tree, the trees which this park was famous for. Haruka sat next to the girl, and openly studied her face.

“I’m sorry if I offended you.”

“I am not a girl for your entertainment.” She replied in curt.


“I didn’t think you were,” Haruka continued to stare at the girl who seemed to pay her no mind.

“Why did you think it was appropriate for you to touch me like that? Or to grab me for that matter?” Koan stared back at Haruka, her anger building, “What made you think it was okay for you to chase after me!”

Haruka shook her head, “I didn’t think.” She looked down and massaged the back of her neck, “I didn’t think at all. Your friend knocked into me, and then… I saw you… my legs… started moving. I had no idea what I was doing.”

“It must be nice to be such a privileged, haphazard individual, Tenoh-san.” A venomous bite punctuated her sentence.

Haruka grew tired of bending to apology for this girl, “I do not live in any sort of a haphazard fashion, Koan-san. As I’ve said, I’m terribly sorry if I offended you, but I won’t sit here and be insulted.”

“Then leave!” Koan yelled ferociously in Haruka’s face.

“I can’t do that.” Haruka’s inflection reflect nothing but calm.

“Why the hell not?!”

“It’s 11 o’clock at night, we’re in Tokyo, and you’re a pretty, young girl. The streets are unsafe for you to roam them alone.”

Koan sighed, opened her bento box, and un-snapped her chopsticks. “Itadakimasu” she said quietly to herself.

She sifted through her sashimi, picking a piece of fatty tuna, and lifted it level to her lips, “What if I decided to stay out all night, Tenoh-san?” she delicately placed the morsel in her mouth and chewed.

Haruka popped the top of her bento, un-snapped her chopsticks, “I thought you weren’t such an entertaining girl, Koan-san.” She popped some uni in her mouth.

Koan smiled ruefully.

“Look, why don’t you give me a chance? I’m not a bad person. I’m sorry I put my hands on you, it was wrong to do so. I didn’t believe you were poorly natured, I just wanted to wake you up. You were cinched up tight inside yourself.” Haruka picked through her food, “I wanted you to talk to me.” She shoved a large piece of nigiri into her mouth.

“Truce?” she said around rice and fish.

Koan grimaced, “You are so unrefined.”

Haruka smiled sheepishly. “Truce?” she reiterated.

“Fine, truce.” Koan finally relented.


oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooo


Author's Notes:
Still no editor. ;_; And no outline. I really gotta start writing those. Damnit.


Yes, that is Koan from Season 3 of the series. For the purpose of this piece, it is set previous to season three. I've decided to take some creative liberties, that do flow with the actual series. In the first arc, the villains were the awakened reincarnations of themselves. I've decided that before season three, the sisters were some-what normal people, and their past selves re-awakened (due to the appearance of Rubeus) causing chaos.

Koan was Mars' rival, so I plucked much of her characterisation from Rei.


Krampus: Look! A story where stuff happens! Kinda. :P
Petiyaka: I’m sorry, it took quite a while for the next part. However, in light of how long posts usually take me, this is pretty fast! :D
chibidarkxiao: It pleases me to hear that you consider this to be such a good story.

To all others who have replied, thank you for your support and waiting it out with me. I’ll finish this story, I promise.