Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ The Search for the Light ❯ The Dream ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Hi Everyone! Please go easy on me, this is my first fanfic. I have no idea where this fanfic came from. I just woke up one morning, and it was there. Ideas come from everywhere, I guess. I really hope you like it!

The Moon Kingdom. Her mother, standing on the Grand Balcony of the Palace, tears in her eyes. Her own body, and that of her love, strewn on the beautiful mosaic floor of the Courtyard, blood surrounding them. The evil Queen Beryl, cackling over her conquest. The light of the Silver Crystal, taking in everyone, dead and alive, sending them into the future. Her mother, dying, sending their guardians, Luna and Artimis, to Earth.
Serena sat on her bed. It was 2:45 AM. This dream, repeating itself every night, was haunting her. She reviewed it in her mind again. Up to her mother sending the cats away she had seen when she had gone to the moon. But after that, there was more, at least in this dream. She went over that.
Her mother was lying on a broken pillar, gasping her last as Saturn appeared. Saturn raised her Silence Glaive high over her head, poised and ready to drop.
"Stop!" her mother commanded. "Help me up." Saturn did as she was told. "Now let go," Saturn did so. Her mother stood unaided, if a little shaky. She put her hands into a prayerful position. She recited an ancient Latin prayer, which echoed throughout the ruins of her once-great kingdom. She held out her hand, and a pinch of moon dust rose up from the ground and into her hand. She held it in her upturned palm, then blew it into the breeze.
The dust fluttered around. At least, that looked like what it was doing. Slowly, it flew into a tight spiral. The spiral became wider in some parts, and thinner in others. The wind picked up more dust, and flew it in a spiral around the dust the Queen had thrown. Finally, the outer spiral died down, leaving the dust in the center free to escape.
Except for the fact that it wasn't dust anymore.
It was a woman.
A teenager to be more precise, Serena thought. The girl hadn't looked older than fifteen. Serena couldn't see the girl's face, but she was obviously short. The girl's hair was incredibly long, and iridescent white. She wore a silver dress; very simple it was, without many trimmings and frills. It was long, and looked like it was made of something lighter than air. The girl had no jewelry except for one thing. Around her neck hung an amulet. It was a circle of silver, and impressed into it was the shape of the crescent moon with a star in the center of the curve. It looked perfectly ordinary, except that it had a light glow, which illuminated the girl's neck slightly. All in all, she looked very regal.
"I hope you are prepared. I would pass it on to my daughter Serenity, but she is already destined to be queen. This would be yet another burden for her. And if, Gods forbid, she is defeated, we cannot lose both the Queen and the Light in one blow."
The Light? What is the Light? Serena thought.
"Very well. Selene, kneel," The Queen raised her hands. In them formed a crown of stars. The Queen placed them on the girl's head. "Rise, Selene. You are the Light, the Purveyor of Hope, Selene. Wait for my daughter to find you, and then you will take my place in the stars. Good luck," The Queen said. She fell, and Selene rushed to catch her. "Lie me down." Selene did. The Queen raised her hand slightly, and Selene, too, was caught in the crystal and sent to the future. "Saturn, go ahead."
"Are you sure, my queen?" Saturn asked. She waited for the answer to come. "My Queen?" No sound came. Tears dropped from Saturn's eyes as her Glaive fell, and the kingdom was destroyed.
Tears fell from Serena's eyes too, as she remembered the tragic scene. Watching her mother die once was enough. She hated having to suffer through it every night. It was too much. Questions flooded her mind.
"Who was that girl? Why did my mother call her 'the Light' and 'the Purveyor of Hope'? What does that mean? Is she...Could she possibly be...Is that girl Selene, Goddess of the Moon?"