Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ The Secret Of Nemesis ❯ Sign Of The Black Moon ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Untitled

Part 2

Sign Of The Black Moon

(Nemesis, Three Years Later)

Five year old Sapphire smiled as he finished another paragraph of "The Secret Garden"(10) by Frances Hodgson Burnett. True, it was practically a relic, but he liked it so much!. It was all about three young children, like him, who found an abandoned, dying garden and restored it. What a beautiful garden it turned out to be!. Crocuses, snowdrops, daffodils, roses, lilies, almost every kind of flower and plant imaginable... And there was green grass and fresh air and sunshine…

The five year old turned from his book and gazed out the citadel window... Instead of a world filled with sunshine, there was endless darkness, as if it were always night…

Unlike Diamond and the older children, the darkness of Nemesis was all he had ever really known… He often heard the clan speak of Earth, especially Crystal Tokyo, and all of it's beauty and wonder, but he could hardly remember anything about it... Although... sometimes, if he shut his eyes and tried really hard, he could smell the sweet scent of grass and flowers in the wind… He could hear a soft, low voice singing…

In through the window
A moonbeam comes
Little gold moonbeam…

But sleep, little pigeon
And fold your wings
Little blue pigeon...

Sapphire blinked and shook his head... If only he had been old enough to remember Earth and his parents... Diamond hardly ever spoke of them... He studied the wilted, dried flower he'd pressed long ago and used as a bookmark... It had been in his hand when he arrived on Nemesis... The only thing he had left of their old home…

"What'ya doing Squirt?", came a familiar voice, interrupting his train of thought.

Sapphire turned to see two of his brothers friends, Rubeus and Emerald approaching him, and groaned inwardly. Like most of the bigger kids, they liked to give him a hard time, teasing him for his love of books and his studies, and, more often then not, excluding him from their play.


Emerald smirked behind her fan as Rubeus snatched the book from the little one.

"What the heck is this?", the older, red haired boy demanded, flipping through the pages.
"The Secret Garden"?. Just what kind of junk are your tutors giving you, Sapphire?". He held the book above him tauntingly. Sapphire tried to grab it, but Rubeus kept pulling it away from his reach.

Stopping for a moment, the younger boy crossed his arms and made a face. "It is not junk!. I like it!. And I got it myself, from the library".

"Figures", Emerald rolled her eyes, waving her fan. "The little bookworm".

Rubeus continued to dangle the book over Sapphire's head. "Can't have it if you can't reach it, Squirt".

"Give it back!", the child insisted jumping up and down, trying to reach his book. "Give it back!. It's a library book!. You'll be in big trouble!".

At this moment, Diamond entered the study room, unnoticed by the others. He mentally rolled his eyes at the fiasco. Rubeus and Emerald must have been bored. That was the only way either of them would bother tormenting Sapphire.

"Oh, grow up, you two!", the silver haired boy snapped.

Rubeus turned his head in surprise, and Diamond took that opportunity to quickly snatch the book from his hand.

"Really, Emmy", he gave the green haired girl a look of annoyance. "You and Rubeus might find something better to do with your time then harassing five year olds!". Diamond then handed the book back to his little brother.

Emerald angrily waved her fan in front of her face. Her cheeks almost went completely red. She hated being called 'Emmy', especially by the boy she had a crush on!.

"Thank you, big brother", Sapphire said, clutching his precious book and looking at Diamond with pure hero worship.

Miffed, Rubeus crossed his arms. "The spoiled little maggot!. I'll bet he gets all the best gifts at the
gathering too!".

"The gathering!", Diamond snapped his fingers. "That's why I came to find you. Wiseman says it's in less then an hour, so we'd all best get ready".

Emerald and Rubeus nodded seriously... This was the day that each Nemesian would receive a special power, a special gift, from Wiseman and the Dark Crystal... The thing had been growing bit by bit during their first three years on Nemesis, and now Wiseman had said it was finally strong and powerful enough…

"I... I don't want to go to the gathering, Diamond", Sapphire whispered, taking his big brother's hand. "Wiseman scares me". Yes, from the time they had first arrived on Nemesis, the dark, cloaked figure had frightened him…

With his free hand, Diamond tousled his little brother's hair affectionately. "You don't have to be afraid, Saffy. I told you before, Wiseman is here to help our people get back to Earth, and to prepare me to lead them".

"Hah! Don't waste your breath, Diamond. The egghead is scared of his own shadow!", Rubeus scoffed.

"I am not!", Sapphire snapped back, stomping his foot in resentment.

Emerald burst out laughing at this, and all three boys, especially Sapphire, winced. She really did have the most annoying laugh!.

Wiseman studied the pathetic band of outcasts before him... Some he was not familiar with. others he was… There was the former Captain Iwa, leading what was left of Nyoko's ragtag army… There were the Ayakashis with their daughters, Prisma, Avery, and the new baby twins, Catsy and Birdy… There was Rubeus, Emerald and their families... At the head of the group stood ten year old Diamond and his little tag-along brother, Sapphire, clutching his hand as though his big brother would blow away at any moment... In his other hand, he held a white flower, wilted and dried…

It had taken nearly four years, but finally he had been able to fill these people with enough hatred and bitterness to fuel and enlarge the Dark Crystal…

Wiseman had decided to proclaim Diamond the future leader of this clan, as his parents had been, for two main reasons. He sensed a great potential for power and magic in the boy, and that would indeed prove useful, also, despite Sapphire's childish fears, the impressionable Diamond trusted him. All it had taken to win him over was the glamorous title of 'Prince Of Nemesis' and a promise... one simple promise…

"You all know why you are here", he began. "Earth has rejected you, it's queen has banished you, but I can promise you now that they will all pay!. This glorious family will return to Earth and rule over it as it was meant to!".

Upon these words, everyone cheered enthusiastically, Diamond the loudest of them all.

"I present to you your prince and leader, the one who will lead this family against Serenity's tyranny and win you back your rightful home!. Come forward, Prince Diamond, and be marked".

Sapphire clutched his brother's hand tighter. "Don't go", he begged, looking pleadingly up at Diamond. He didn't know what being 'marked' meant, but it frightened him terribly. "Don't leave me alone".

Diamond smiled ruefully. As much as he appreciated Sapphire's love and concern, now was not the time for this!. He made his brother face him and bent down slightly so he reached his level.

"It's alright, little brother", he assured him. "The Wiseman means to do me honor. You trust me, don't you Saffy?".

The child nodded, eyes wide… He released his grip on Diamond's hand and watched reluctantly as his big brother turned from him and walked towards the Wiseman…

In all of his life, Sapphire would never remember feeling as scared and alone as he did at that moment…

It was then that young Prisma moved from where her family was and stood beside him... Slowly, cautiously, she reached out and took his hand... the one Diamond had let go of…

Sapphire turned to her... and their eyes met briefly... Then, still holding hands, they watched in a mixture of awe and terror as Diamond was lifted up into the air by the Wiseman…

The white haired prince crouched in fetal position as he was spun faster and faster, around and around, in swirls and flashes of black matter... Wiseman was whispering something to him, almost like a mantra, though noone could hear it clearly, and Diamond seemed to be repeating it back…

Eventually, the force around Diamond came to a stop... The young prince was slowly lowered downwards, head slumped down, and landed unconscious on the ground…

"Diamond!", Sapphire cried in alarm. He instantly let go of Prisma's hand, and, despite shouts of warning from the others, ran to his brothers side…

"Brother, wake up!", the little boy pleaded, shaking Diamond gently and trying to turn him onto his back. "Please, Brother!".

At the sound of his little brother's voice, the unconscious prince began to stirr... "Sapphire?"…

The younger prince smiled in relief. "Yes, it's me. Are you okay?".

"I… I feel so strange"... Diamond murmured, his head still bowed and his hand over his forehead…

Sapphire's eyes widened. "What happened?. What did he do to you?", he demanded.

Diamond slowly began to raise his head... removing his hand from his brow... "I... I don't know…".

Everyone gasped, and little Sapphire screamed in terror!. For imbedded in Diamonds forehead was a shining, opened
third eye!.

"Sapphire, what's wrong?", Diamond asked, confused. Why did everyone look so frightened all of a sudden?.

The little boy pointed frantically. "Your... your forehead…", he stammered.

"Yes", Wiseman said, appearing beside Diamond. I have given you great, unimaginable powers, including the third eye".

Diamond brought a hand to his forehead cautiously…

"It will help you hypnotize your enemies into doing your bidding", their guardian continued. "But it will disappear from sight if you wish it".

The next instant, the third eye was gone. In it's place was the mark of a downwards black crescent… The symbol of Nemesis…

Wiseman then turned to face the crowd as Diamond rose to his feet. "Behold, the first prince of Nemesis, and leader of the Black Moon family!. He has been marked!".

Their initial fear being replaced by amazement, the crowd cheered again and Diamond bowed to them.

"A generous gesture", Wiseman remarked. "But do not forget, my prince, that they are the ones who must bow before
you".

It was then he turned to gaze at Sapphire. "I believe it is now time for the second in line to be marked".

Terrified, the dark haired child clung to his brother's arm again.
"No!".

"Come now, child", the cloaked figure extended a hand towards him. "You will receive special powers and knowledge, just like Diamond".

Trembling, Sapphire backed away in terror. "No! No! Get away from me!".

"Leave him alone!", Prisma snapped, rushing between them, her fists raised. "He doesn't want to go with you!".

"That's enough, Prisma!". Diamond stepped forward beside Wiseman. "I would never let my brother come to any harm. He does not need you to protect him". He then looked at Sapphire. "Little brother, you trust me, don't you?".

Sapphire nodded slowly…

"Well then, do as Wiseman says. He only wants to help us".

Wiseman nodded and extended a hand towards him again. "Yes, little one. Come with me and you will have everything you ever wanted".

The child swallowed... He looked at Prisma, then at Diamond... As afraid as he was of the Wiseman, he knew he must trust his brother... He always had, and Diamond had never led him astray before…

Still trembling, Sapphire left Prisma's side... Slowly, fearfully, he reached out and took the cold, clammy hand that was offered…

Almost instantly, he was lifted into the air, just as Diamond had been... The world around him began to flash and spin until all he could see was darkness... He could hear Wiseman's voice coming from somewhere…

"Remember how they treated you on Earth?... How those tyrants persecuted you?"

Instantly, an image came before him... Imperial soldiers of Earth... They were attacking a small band of unarmed nomads... Tears streamed down Sapphire's cheeks as he saw a soldier strike down a terrified woman trying to protect her sobbing child…

"Do you remember that evil woman, Serenity, who sent her armies to torment you and your people?"

Another image was shown... A beautiful woman in white with long golden hair, wings sewn onto the back of her dress and wearing a jeweled crown, was seated on her throne... She turned to look at Sapphire, a cruel smile on her face and an evil look of satisfaction in her eyes…

Roughly wiping away his tears, the boy clenched his fists and glared back at the woman in pure hatred…

Wiseman smiled beneath his hood as he watched the Black Moon crescent appear on the little one's forehead. It was working!. Soon both of these naïve young princes would be under his control!.

"Do you remember how lost and alone you were on Earth?. How nobody loved or wanted you?"

At this, Sapphire's eyes filled with tears once more. "I was lost... alone... Nobody loved me or wanted me"... He closed his eyes and buried his face in his hands... It was then he remembered the flower in his hand... He looked at it, and once again, he smelt the grass and the flower fields... He heard that familiar song…

But sleep, little pigeon
And fold your wings
Little blue pigeon…

Sapphire smiled through his tears... The Wiseman had to be wrong!. Whoever gave him that flower, whoever had sung that song to him, must have loved and wanted him and his brother!.

Instantly, the inverted black crescent disappeared from the boy's brow…

"No!", Wiseman whispered in shock. Noone had ever been able to reverse this spell before!. How was this tiny, five year old whelp able to resist the power of the Dark Crystal?.

"Don't fool yourself!. Everyone hated you on Earth!. Serenity and Darien humiliated and banished your clan just because they would not be their slaves!. Is that not proof enough that Earthlings are evil?"

Sapphire's expression changed... He scowled bitterly... Now he was not sure whom he hated and feared the most. Serenity and the armies of Earth for casting him away like some defective toy, or the Wiseman for torturing him with these thoughts and images…

Once again, the Black Moon symbol appeared on the child's forehead... This time, it would not disappear…

(Three Years Later)

Whispering to each other eagerly, the three children, all with inverted black crescents on their foreheads, peered out from behind the makeshift barricade they had made…

"It's one of those ugly Earthlings!", thirteen year old Diamond said excitedly.

Eight year old Sapphire nodded. "If we don't do something, it'll kill us and destroy the citadel!.

Petzite(11) Ayakashi, or Prisma as she preferred to be called, grinned at her two friends. Between training and studying the three of them didn't often have much time to play together, especially since she herself had three younger sisters to help raise, but she was glad to be able to find at least a little time off today. "It's up to us, you guys!".

Diamond and Sapphire grinned back. "On my signal", the older boy said. "One... Two...
Now!".

"Aggghhh!!!", the three of them hollered jumping out from behind their fortress. "Charge!!!".

"Eeeek!!!", Emerald squealed as she was bombarded with a shower of mud- bombs that practically covered her entire dress. She turned around angrily to see Diamond, Sapphire and Prisma laughing hysterically!.

Furious, she put her hands on her hips. She might have expected this from that obnoxious tomboy and her little tag-along friend, but not from
Diamond!. He really was spending way to much time with them!.

"That was not, I repeat,
not funny!", she shouted at them, trying to wipe the mud off without getting her hands dirty, which really was a comical sight. "This is my new designer dress!".

Diamond put a hand over his mouth, tactfully trying to hide his grin, but Sapphire and Prisma just snickered back at her.

"Exactly, Emmy!", the younger boy said.

"Hey! I think it's an improvement!", Prisma added. "Even my
baby sisters have better taste in clothing then you!".

Uh oh! Diamond knew what was coming next!. He quickly grabbed Sapphire and Prisma's hands and took off running, with Emerald in hot pursuit, waving her fan after them like a weapon!.
"You little rodents! I'm going to stuff this down your throats!".

She chased them all the way to the citadel... Fortunately, Diamond and the children managed to duck into the courtyard before she could catch them... Quickly, the older boy shoved them behind a huge pillar. "Stay behind there and keep quiet", he ordered, trying his best to keep a straight face.

Sapphire and Prisma practically had to cover each others mouths to try to stop their laughter!.

"Where are they?!", they could hear Emerald fume. "Where are they?. I know they're hiding!".

"They went that way", came Diamond's calm reply. "Into the citadel".

There was the sound of Emerald stamping her foot in frustration. "Oooo!!! I don't know what you see in that little pest and his girlfriend, Diamond!. They're a bad influence on you!". And with that she stormed into the citadel.

The two children could barely contain themselves any longer!. They removed their hands from each others mouths and burst out laughing!.

Diamond crossed his arms as they came out giggling from behind the pillar. "I thought I told you two to be quiet?. You're lucky Em' was to mad to notice!".

Sapphire and Prisma looked at each other... then at him... "Sorry"... but all three of them were unable to fight back their smiles!.

Laughing, and chattering away as young children do, they left the courtyard and made their way back to their makeshift fort…

"Look!", Sapphire suddenly said, pointing upwards to the sky where thousands upon thousands of stars looked down on them. It was not an unusual sight, as on Nemesis there was no sun or daylight, but the younger prince had something to ask his brother. "Diamond, which one of those is Earth again?".

Diamond tried to remember all the maps of the galaxy his tutors bid him to study. "Hmmm. I can't really Say for sure without a chart... but I think it's that one there". He pointed to one of the stars in the distance…

Sapphire craned his neck to see exactly where his brother was pointing... "It looks so far away". he whispered…

Moments passed and the three of them were silent... each with their own thoughts…

"Diamond... What happened to our mother and father?…".

The white haired boy frowned... This was a question Sapphire had been asking ever since they had arrived on Nemesis. If only he could give him a straight answer!. The truth was, Diamond could barely remember their father, Kin. All he knew was that he had perished in a battle with a rival clan on Earth, and the last memory he had of their mother, Nyoko, was of her leaving them alone in a cold, lonely place, promising to come back for them... In the past he would always shrug it off, either changing the subject or saying "You'll understand when you're older".

"I... I don't know for sure", he answered. "Our father died when you were just a baby... and I never saw our mother again after she left...".

Sapphire lowered his eyes sadly... "Oh... I guess we really are orphans then, aren't we?". It was at times like this when he really envied Prisma!. She still had both her parents and knew everything about them.

Diamond tenderly brushed the loose bangs away from his little brother's eyes. "No, no, Saffy. We're not orphans, we're a
family".

"The
Black Moon family!", Prisma added.

At this, Sapphire smiled and nodded. "Yeah! And someday our family'll have a home on Earth, right?".

"You bet!", Diamond smiled back, tousling Sapphire's hair affectionately.

Prisma grinned. "Yeah! And Serenity and those nasty Earthlings, they'll be banished to
here!".

The three of them burst out laughing again!. What good, poetic justice
that would be!.

Their laughter was cut short by a painfully familiar voice... "Prince Diamond"…

Prisma and Diamond seemed undisturbed, but Sapphire suddenly felt cold all over... He had been afraid of the Wiseman for as long as he could remember, without being able to explain exactly why... After all, he had welcomed the clan warmly to Nemesis, even though it was not the bright, flourishing planet they had hoped for, and was helping them prepare to take back their rightful home... Maybe it was the fact that noone had ever seen his face... or maybe he just reminded Sapphire of the dark monsters he had seen so often in his nightmares…

"It is time for your lessons, Prince", the cloaked figure said…

Diamond nodded and stepped away from his brother and Prisma. "Alright, I'm coming. See you later, you two".

Sapphire crossed his arms with a scowl as he watched his brother being led back to the citadel… "I wish he didn't have to have those stupid lessons every day!", he muttered.

"Well, he's going to be the leader of our clan", the girl tilted her head, a few strands of green hair, almost the same shade as Emerald's, coming loose from her already messy bun.

Sapphire kicked at the black, dusty ground with his clean white shoes. "I know, I know. I just wish we could hurry up and get back to Earth already so we can see some
real playgrounds and parks, and Diamond won't have to do whatever Wiseman tells him!".

Prisma nodded thoughtfully... Then a mischievous smile played about her face. "Hey! You've never actually seen Diamond at his lessons, have you?".

"No", Sapphire answered plainly. "So?...".

"
So?. Why don't we go in and see what he's learning in there?. Then maybe we'll find out how to conquer Earth too, and our clan'll get there twice as fast!".

The dark haired boy burst out laughing!. Trust his rambunctious friend to think up a wild idea like that!.

"What's so funny?", she demanded, hands on her hips.

"Nothing, nothing. Just trying to imagine
us beating Diamond to conquering Earth first!. It's to funny!". He knew his brother, and there was no way Diamond wouldn't accomplish something he'd set his mind to!.

Prisma shrugged indignantly. "Hey, it could happen!".

"Yeah, when the sun shines on Nemesis!", Sapphire chuckled. "But I
do want to see Diamond at his lessons... Just to see how different they are from mine"…

At this, Prisma smiled and grabbed his hand. "Then come on, what are we waiting for?!".


Like every other room in the citadel, the boys classroom was dark and dimly lit. But Sapphire, Prisma and all the other children of Nemesis had practically grown up in the dark. The little boy and girl peered curiously from behind the partly opened door…

"The people of Earth are ignorant", Diamond recited his lessons to his shrouded tutor. "They abuse their planet and take it for granted, which is why the Black Moon family must reclaim it".

"Very good, Prince Diamond", Wiseman nodded.

The silvery haired boy put his paper down, a confused look on his face. "Thank you, but… I don't understand something...".

"And what is that?".

"Well... If the humans are so terrible, and treat their planet so badly, then how come it is still thriving today?...".

Wiseman drew nearer to Diamond. "Why, that is easy, my prince. Earth is very resilient, and is suffering through all the mortals cruelty in hopes that a greater race will one day rule it".

"Oh... I see"... Diamond looked thoughtful…

Wiseman waved his hands around his crystal ball... Diamond could see images in it… Images of destroyed forests and wild lands, polluted waters and cities... Chaos and destruction caused by wars and battles of the past and present... wars started and fought by the humans…

"Do you understand now?. The humans cast you away from the world you should rightfully rule, and they are intent to destroy it with their ignorance!. You have to hate them!. That is the only way of conquering them!".

Diamond lowered his eyes... "But I don't hate them. I... I just wish I was a lucky as they are... That's all".

Sapphire swallowed back a cry of resentment as he watched Wiseman lift his brothers head up by his chin.

"They hate
you!. They hate you Diamond!".

Diamond's eyes widened as he stared at his cloaked mentor. "But… But our father and mother"…

Wiseman laughed, and Sapphire had to shudder at the sound of it. "Poor poor naïve boy. You really don't know, do you?".

"About what?", the elder prince's face became slightly paler. "What are you talking about?".

"Why tell you when I can
show you?". Wiseman waved his hands over the crystal ball again. "Do you remember, Prince Diamond, the last time you saw your mother?".

At this, Sapphire became intrigued. He opened the door, and, despite Prisma's look of protest, walked softly inside, as mesmerized by the glowing sphere as his brother was…

Diamond hardly noticed his entrance, but Wiseman nodded to himself. The younger prince had always been to distrusting for his liking... but maybe, with what he was about to show Diamond, he could finally win
him over as well…

"Yes", Diamond answered his question sadly. "She said that she would have to leave us for a few moments... but she promised she'd be back for us".

"And did she?. Did she come back for you and your brother?".

The white haired prince lowered his head and shook it slightly. "No… She never did"…

"Of course not!", was the triumphant answer. "And I will show you
why".

Images began to clearly show themselves in front of the boys... They saw a beautiful woman with dark hair and eyes leaning over two little children, kissing and crooning to them tenderly…

"Your mother may have told you that she loved you, that she would come back for you... but she was a treacherous liar, just like every other human on Earth".

Another image appeared... This time the two sleeping children were being carried to a large vehicle by Queen Serenity's guards... The dark haired woman did not try to stop them. Instead, she smiled coldly, crossing her arms and nodding in satisfaction…

A single tear ran down Diamond's cheek. "You mean... she only wanted to get rid of us?"...

"I'm afraid so, my prince", Wiseman answered. "Your mother was a loyal savant , a strategist and tactician in Serenity's court. She agreed to the cleansing in order to remain in favor with Earth, but she did not want her clan, or her children, standing in her way".

"So she just let the royals do with us as they pleased"... the silver haired prince whispered, lowering his head sadly…

Sapphire clenched his hands in silent rage, not at his mother, but at
Wiseman!. How dare he make his brother cry like that and try to place all the blame on their mother!. What had happened to them was Serenity's fault, not hers!. She wouldn't have had to give them up if Serenity hadn't been such a tyrant!.

"So, you understand now what I meant when I said everyone on Earth hated and despised you, even your own mother?".

Diamond nodded slowly…

Sapphire was furious!. How could Wiseman do this?!. Before he even realized what he was doing, the boy had flung himself angrily upon his brother's mentor.
"I'm going to tear your cloak off!!!", he screamed, viciously tugging away at the dark robe with one hand while trying to pummel Wiseman with the other. "I hate you!. I hate you!".

Prisma and Diamond immediately leapt forward, and, between the two of them, managed to tear the struggling, screaming young prince off the Wiseman.

"Sapphire, stop!", Diamond cried. "Are you insane?. Stop it!".

But the child was still struggling, shaking his head vigorously. "Brother, don't listen to him, please!. Don't ever hate Mama!".

Unaffected by the violently emotional display, Wiseman sighed in false sympathy. "Poor poor little one", he said. "He's very confused, Prince Diamond. You shall have to help him".

Prisma frowned slightly... What was that supposed to mean?…

"Yes, how can I help him see the truth, Wiseman?", Diamond asked.

"By making him a loyal subject, incapable of betrayal. Use the gift I gave you".

The silver haired boy nodded. "Ahhh, the third eye".

"What!?", Prisma gasped.

"No!", Sapphire cried. That was supposed to be for gaining control of enemies!.

Diamond firmly held Sapphire by his shoulders. "I'm sorry, little brother, but this is for your own good".

Sapphire's eyes widened in horror as he saw the black crescent on Diamond's forehead turn into the hideous third eye, which he had been having nightmares about since he was five years old... He tried to turn away from it, but Diamonds voice was almost as hypnotic as the eye…

"Look at me, brother"…

Trembling, the child found himself being pulled towards the magnetic gaze…

"You will serve me and do as I say without question. You will never turn against me or betray me as our parents did"…

"No... Please... No...", Sapphire whispered, tears streaming down his cheeks…

"Stop it!", Prisma cried helplessly. "Diamond, you're scaring him
!. You're scaring your little brother!".

Diamond paid no attention. "You will have no master, and no god, other then me. Your loyalty is to the white prince of Nemesis. You serve only me"…

Though he was powerless to turn his gaze away from the hypnotic glow, Sapphire continued to weep... His face was pale, and he looked near the point of fainting... "Mama". he whispered. "Mama... please help me"...

At this, Diamond stopped...
"What?"

To both Wiseman and Prisma's amazement, the third eye disappeared... Diamond released his hold on his brother's shoulders... "What did you say?".

Sapphire sank to his knees, sobbing, his hands in his face. "I… I wanted Mama to come"…

The elder Prince looked away, frowning sadly…

"Prince Diamond, what are you doing?", Wiseman demanded.

The silver haired boy shook his head. "I've changed my mind. Sapphire may be disillusioned, but he would never betray me. He does not need to be hypnotized".

Wiseman shook his head. "Very well, my prince. But you have made the wrong decision".

Ignoring that, Diamond helped Sapphire to his feet. "I'm sorry, Saffy. Are you alright?".

The little boy nodded, wiping his tears with his sleeve, but his eyes were downcast…

"Come on, let's go", Prisma took Sapphire's hand and led him out of the classroom, away from his brother... The two boys could barely look each other in the eye…


"I'm sorry I made you go in there", Prisma apologized later that day. "Blame me if you want".

Sapphire sighed and leaned on the citadel railing next to her. "It's okay, Prisma. I… I shouldn't have tried to attack Wiseman".

The two were silent for a moment. Then Prisma turned to him. "Do you really believe what he said... about your mother?"…

"I don't know"... the dark haired boy shook his head. "All I know is that I don't trust Wiseman as much as Diamond does".

The green haired girl tilted her head. "Well, you've got to trust
somebody".

"I do. I trust Diamond... and
you".

"Thanks", Prisma smiled warmly. She was very fond of this boy, and she trusted him too... not that she wanted to play favorites or anything…

Sapphire smiled back. "You're welcome".

They continued to gaze at the stars from the balcony… Each of them wondering if there would ever come a time when they would see the sunlight…

Sapphire studied the sky, searching for the star that Diamond had pointed out to him... the one that was Earth... but he couldn't remember which one it was, or where it was…

Sleep, little pigeon…

Little blue pigeon…

He was slowly forgetting the words to that melody, and the scent of flowers was beginning to fade in his memory…

"Prisma... What can you remember about Earth?"…

The girl brushed a stray strand of hair from her eyes thoughtfully. "Well… I think I can remember storms... Lightning... Thunder... I remember, I used to sometimes sneak outside to watch them, but Mama or Papa would always catch me and take me back inside".

Sapphire chuckled. How exactly like Prisma!.

"Say, what do
you remember about Earth", she asked…

The boy was silent for a moment... "Well", he finally said. "I remember, there were flowers... grass... They smelled so sweet... Funny, I always think of them when I try to remember my mother"…

Prisma swallowed... She knew that she had somehow said the wrong thing... "Oh... I'm sorry"...

Sapphire just shrugged it off, and continued to gaze up at the stars, searching for the one that might be Earth... Could his mother still be there?... Had she really just abandoned them like Wiseman said?…

The boy blinked back his tears... He did not want to forget about his mother, just as he did not want to forget about Earth, or the beautiful song, or the sweet scent of flowers and grass and fresh air…

"Prisma", he whispered. "I want to go home"…

She nodded understandingly, her eyes softening. "I know... We all do"…

(10) Knowing Sapphire's character, I imagined that he would have liked "The Secret Garden" as a child. It's one of my own favorite classics too!.