Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Two's Company ❯ Ami's Plan ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: Sailor Moon and its characters are owned by Takeuchi Naoko. This is purely fan-made.

Ami groaned as she stretched an arm out weakly to silence the ear-splitting sound coming from her alarm clock. She continued to lay in her bed with her fluffy blanket, hugging it to her chest tightly. Last night she had some peace and quiet as she sat in her room, studying in solitude. But now that it was Saturday, and that ensured one thing: Rei and Usagi engaging in an argument. It seemed that her friends could always manage to find something to fight about, no matter what the subject was. The blue haired girl sighed and forced herself out of bed and into the bathroom to prepare herself for yet another weekend of being a referee. As she brushed her teeth, she recalled on the past couple of weekends she spent with Rei and Usagi. All the time, everywhere, they would start going back and forth childishly. And if Ami was able to silence them, only a brief moment would go by before they went at it again. She spat bitterly into the sink, washing the foamy toothpaste slip down the drain. If only stopping Rei and Usagi's bickering were that easy.

The girl dashed back to her room to dress herself. She only had a sliver of hope that she'd be able to enjoy her weekend with her two best friends, but unfortunately, this sliver shrunk as the weeks passed. Still, Ami forced herself to keep hoping there was some way to make it stop, even for a moment. Perhaps she worried too much, she told herself, trying to maintain the slightest bit of optimism. Once dressed, Ami strolled downstairs to the kitchen. Normally her parents would be there, enjoying a pastry while skimming through the newspaper, but apparently they were still asleep. While filling up a pot with water for tea, Ami was startled by the loud ringing of the phone. Drops of water escaped from the pot as she flinched. Ami answered the phone meekly. "Hello?"

"Ami!" a familiar whine screeched from the phone. It was surely Usagi Tsukino. "Mama forgot to go shopping last night, and I'm hungry. Can I come over to your house to have breakfast?"

Ami heaved a sigh as she placed the teapot gently on the stove. "Sure, but be quiet because my parents are still asleep." Like that was going to happen, knowing Usagi.

"YAY! LUCKY ME!" Usagi screamed happily before abruptly hanging up. Ami winced before she put the phone back on the receiver.Only the cheerful blonde girl would have such energy at this hour. Steam rose into the air, which was followed by the teapot's sharp whistle. Ami turned off the stove and carefully poured the water into a mug with an earl grey tea bag. Just then, Usagi stormed in like a child would into a toy store.

"Hi Ami-chan!" she cried a little too loudly. Ami hushed her by serving her a leftover doughnut. Usagi grinned and wolfed it down as if she hadn't seen food in days while Ami sat across from her, gingerly sipping her tea.

"So, where are we going today?" Usagi inquired, disturbing the peaceful silence Ami was absorbing.

"Rei-chan wanted to go to the carnival, so we're going there first," the genius replied, taking note of Usagi's messy golden locks. She must have been really hungry, as it appeared she dashed over immediately after calling. The last drop of tea dropped onto Ami's tongue. She rinsed the mug and put it in the dishwasher. "But we're not leaving for another hour."

Usagi tugged her friend by the hand and shuffled up the stairs to Ami's room. It didn't strike Ami as much of a surprise when Usagi plopped down beside her bed and pulled out a manga from underneath it. "I forgot this here last time, so I've been waiting to come over and read it."

Her statement struck Ami as no surprise. Often Usagi would leave her belongings in her room, so often to the point where Ami created a small space under her bed to shove Usagi's belongings into for when she would visit next time. Forgetful and energetic. Those were only two adjectives to describe Miss Tsukino, as the last few moments had proved.

Ami sat at her desk and opened one of her oversized text books. She leafed through the book to the index, scanned the page, then flipped to the front of the book and began reading. The blonde glimpsed up from her manga shortly. Ami's cobalt eyes moved at an amazing, almost unrealistic speed, as Usagi had noticed many times before. Intelligent and calm. Those two words came to mind as Usagi gazed at her friend admiringly. Ami grinned to herself as if she could read Usagi's thoughts.

Time passed as Ami read quietly while in contrast, Usagi burst out laughing every few minutes. Ami glanced at the clock, closed her book, and motioned for Usagi to follow her downstairs. Both of them walked around a few blocks to the carnival, where Rei had been alone for a while. She anxiously tapped her foot and tried to calm down with a strawberry ice cream cone. Ami noticed her raven haired pal and dashed over to her while Usagi lagged behind.

"Hello Ami. Where have you been?" Rei asked, her voice dripping in impatience. She took another lick of her ice cream when she saw a pair of blonde balls bobbing up and down. "Oh, that explains it."

"Ami...why didn't...you...wait for...me?" Usagi panted. Rei snickered to herself.

"What's so funny?" Usagi asked bitterly, crossing her arms. 'Here we go...' Ami thought nervously.

"You, as usual," Rei responded crossly. "And I don't mean that in a complimentary way either."

Usagi's peachy skin tone reddened with anger. "I just got here, and you're already picking on me! Ami, make her stop."

Ami frowned. "Can't you two resolve your problems once and for all?"

"NO!" both of the girls screamed in unison. At least they agreed on something. Yet again, Ami heaved a sigh and rubbed the temples of her head tenderly. She should have brought a bottle of aspirin.

"Look, I'll ride with Rei on the Ferris wheel, and then I'll ride with Usagi on the merry-go-round. Is that fair?"

"I suppose. Usagi's too much of a chicken to go on high rides anyway," Rei quipped, catching drops of melted ice cream with her tongue. Usagi would have tackled Rei right there and then if Ami hadn't stood in front of her. She stuck out her tongue immaturely at Rei before she went to buy the tickets. Already exhausted, Ami sat down next to Rei. What a day it would be.