Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Unexpected Feelings ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

NOTE: I know many people don't like this pairing, but I just wanted to try it so deal with it. Besides, It doesn't go in-depth or anything. They don't even kiss so you can relax. This takes place a few of years after the Stars season.
 
Disclaimer: Naoko Takeuchi owns everything. I'm simply using her characters for a story.
 
Unexpected Feelings
 
Haruka couldn't believe Michiru hadn't called her yet. She had left for the U.S. to do a live concert tour three days and nineteen minutes ago. Haruka knew because she was counting. What she didn't understand was why Michiru wasn't answering her phone. Normally Michiru would call her as soon as her plane landed to let her know everything went fine. So was why this time any different? Haruka had begun calling her cell phone an hour after her plane should have landed. When Michiru didn't answer, Haruka told herself it was because she was still on the plane. But when Haruka called back five hours after she should have landed, that's when she started to worry. Michiru would never intentionally give Haruka a reason to worry which meant something had to be wrong. Damnit Michiru, where are you? Haruka cursed and ran out the door. She needed to get out of the house, clear her mind. Speeding down the highway in her Ferrari calmed her nerves and allowed her to forget about everything that was troubling her. Her whole body was tuned to the feel of the car, the power it held, and the speeds it could reach. Turning down streets she knew by memory, she found the apartment she wanted and parked. But she didn't get out. Haruka didn't know exactly why she had driven there, only that whenever she was around her she felt peaceful; being parked out in front of her house would have to do. She clenched her phone in her hand before dialing Michiru's number again. It rang, but no one picked up. Sighing, Haruka sat in her car feeling more and more scared by the moment. Of course she'd never admit it to anybody. Michiru was the only one that had seen Haruka scared and the only one to see her cry. She intended to keep it that way.
"Haruka-chan! Hey! Haruka!"
"Hello Koneko. I didn't, uh, realize you saw me" Haruka said as she snapped back to attention.
"How could I not?“ she smiled. “I was out on my balcony when you drove up. I thought you would have seen me. Guess not. What are you doing out here? Come inside."
“No really, I can't stay long.”
“Okay, then I'll come sit out here with you until you have to go.”
“You don't have to Koneko I-”
“Where's Michiru-san?”
“. . . oh well she's actually doing a live concert tour in the U.S. She's not sure how long she'll be there since it depends on how well things go.”
“Really?” Usagi turned to face Haruka. “And you aren't with her because. . .”
“I have a couple of races I have to do here. I tried to get out of them but you know,” Haruka shrugged. “Some things you just can't get out of.”
“Then I'll just have to be there cheering you on won't I?” Usagi said happily. “When are they?”
“Tomorrow and in a couple of weeks. I'm not quite sure on the date.”
“Can you pick me up?” Haruka smiled at the hopeful look in Usagi's eyes. “I mean, that is, ifyouwanttoandififyouhavetimeto-”
“Of course I will Koneko. Be ready by ten tomorrow morning.” Then with mock stern she added, “If you aren't ready five minutes after I get here, I'm leaving without you.”
“Thanks `Ruka!” Usagi hugged her then quickly realized what she was doing. “Oh, uh, sorry about that.”
Haruka smiled. “Don't worry about it Usagi-chan. I'll see you tomorrow.”
“Oh, okay,” she said as she got out of the car. “Bye Haruka!”
Haruka waved as she sped off. Usagi knew something was up. Haruka wasn't just driving through the neighborhood. So what was the reason? That puzzled Usagi because she'd never seen Haruka act like she did moments ago. She could sense Haruka's sadness, but she didn't know if it was because she couldn't be with Michiru or if it was something more. She sighed at she walked back towards her apartment. Sometimes Haruka could be so hard to figure out, but then again that's the way she wanted it. As soon as Usagi got inside she checked her phone for messages. Still none. She was hoping he'd call her but he hadn't since the day he left. Tears welled up in her eyes but she quickly brushed them away. I'm a grown woman, I can handle this. I won't cry.
Usagi looked around her apartment. She had moved in less than two months ago; it was a miracle she found one for such a good price. Being on her own gave her a sense of freedom that she'd never felt before. She loved being on her own even if it did mean working two jobs. Minako had taken her shopping for everything that could possibly be needed for her new apartment; Usagi laughed to herself at the memory. Makoto had finally gotten her to be able to cook a decent meal without burning it or putting the people who ate it at risk.
Sliding into bed Usagi's thoughts turned back to Haruka. She couldn't shake the feeling that Haruka had been at her apartment for another reason. Haruka's whole demeanor was off character but Usagi couldn't quite understand why. Turning out the light, Usagi drifted off to sleep.
“Usagi! If you aren't ready in five minutes I'm leaving without you,” Haruka sighed in frustration. “I told you I'd be here to pick you up at ten. You woke up only because I was pounding on the door.”
“I said I was sorry Haruka. I can't help it when I turn my alarm off and then fall back asleep.”
“Uh-huh. Keep telling yourself that Koneko. C'mon. You've got . . . three minutes left now.”
“Haruka!” Usagi whined.
“Two and a half.”
“Okay okay I'm done,” Usagi came rushing out of the bathroom to find a very irritated Haruka waiting for her. “Do I look okay?”
Usagi was dressed casually enough with jeans and layered tees and tanks. To top it off she wore a vintage wool hat with her hair down and out of the odangos she normally wore.
“Wow. I mean, you look good.”
“Really?” her face brightened. “That`s a relief. I didn't want to disappoint you.”
“You could never disappoint me Koneko.”
Usagi blushed. “Ready to go beat the crap out of everyone else at the race?”
“Can't wait.”
When they arrived at the racing track, Haruka dropped Usagi off at the entrance making sure it was known that Usagi was with her. Usagi was then ushered through the entrance and gave Haruka one last startled look over her shoulder. Haruka only smiled at her as she drove off. The race was just about to start when Usagi was seated in her own private area. She sat down, unsure of what she was supposed to do. All worries vanished as soon as she saw Haruka pull up to the starting line. Her body was tense with excitement as the light went from red, then yellow, and finally green.
Waiting for the light to turn green, Haruka scanned the crowd hoping to find where Usagi was sitting. It was strange not having Michiru there to cheer her on, but she couldn't imagine anyone else but Usagi being there to support her in Michiru`s place. She wasn't close to any of the other girls like she was with Usagi. Haruka spotted her being seated and relaxed. She knew without a shadow of a doubt that she could beat every racer there; she wanted to for Michiru. And Usagi.
Usagi couldn't remember anything as exciting as watching Haruka race. She was mesmerized by the way Haruka easily maneuvered around the other cars, always confident in her ability to drive, never faltering in any way. Speed was Haruka's element so it was only natural that she should succeed in everything that involved it. She gasped as a car came dangerously close to the bumper of Haruka's car, but Haruka only sped up in response.
No one came close to beating her. Usagi had started to run towards the track as the first cars passed the finish line, so when Haruka finished driving a victory lap she was waiting for her on the sidelines. Usagi flew into Haruka's arms as soon as she got out of the car. Flashes from cameras were going off like crazy as Haruka acknowledged fans and waved, holding Usagi next to her.
“Usagi-chan! Over here!” Usagi recognized that voice.
“Minako? Mako, Rei, Ami? What are you guys doing here?”
“We should be asking you the same thing Usagi,” Minako said as she pushed her way through the crowd and towards the area where Haruka and Usagi were standing. “We didn't know you were going to be here.”
“Yeah, well Michiru is out of the country so I told Haruka I'd be here to cheer her on.”
“Out of the country?” Ami asked
“Hey guys?” Haruka was looking at them. “Can this wait until later?”
“Sorry Haruka-san.” Rei turned to Usagi. “Meet us at the crown arcade when you're done okay?”
“Sure. Hey Minako, how did you know Haruka was racing today?”
“Obviously you don't read the papers Usa,” Rei smirked.
“And when has she ever read a newspaper?” Minako asked.
“I don't think now is really the time to-” Makoto was cut off.
“Congratulations Haruka-san. We'll see you guys later tonight!” Ami grabbed on to Makoto and the other two girls and pulled them away from the crowd.
“Ami, what's the matter with you? We were only saying . . .” Minako's plaintive voice was drowned out as they got farther away from Usagi and Haruka.
Usagi was thoroughly embarrassed. “Sorry Haruka.”
“Hey, don't sweat it. It's not your fault. But it does give us an excuse to get out of here. What do you say? I never did like being in the spotlight. That's more Michiru's thing.”
“I'd like that a lot,” she smiled.
All four girls were waiting at the arcade when Usagi and Haruka arrived. They'd all been wondering why Haruka wasn't with Michiru; those two were almost never apart from each other. The idea that maybe Haruka and Michiru had gotten into a fight and were taking a break from each other was the last thought before Haruka sat down. Usagi was over at the counter talking to Motoki and ordering a large chocolate milkshake plus a burger and fries.
“Usagi, are you ever not hungry?” Rei asked in an exasperated voice.
Usagi just smiled sweetly at Rei. “Rei, do you always ask stupid questions?”
“But-I-I-” Rei sputtered, at loss for words.
“Ooh she got you Rei,” Minako teased. “She got you good.”
“Minako, please,” Ami pleaded.
“This night's only going to get more and more interesting,” Makoto muttered under her breath. “And I thought they had matured.”
Haruka laughed in agreement.
Then night passed in relative peace. Minako talked the whole time which kept Usagi and Rei from fighting, but then again, she didn't let anyone else get a word in edgewise. None of them minded because it allowed them to be able to relax and enjoy each other's company. It wasn't often they got to just hang out since school was taking up a lot of their time. Not being able to fit everyone in her car, Haruka took only Usagi home at then end of the night. The rest of the girls were disappointed but understood. Usagi chattered the whole time they were in the car, talking about the race and how mean Rei was to her. Haruka began to tune out Usagi's voice as her thoughts drifted to Michiru. She hadn't tried to call her since that morning so she decided to try again after she dropped Usagi off. Haruka hoped Michiru would answer.
“Thanks for everything Haruka,” Usagi said as they pulled in front of her apartment. “I had a lot of fun.”
“Me too Koneko. I'm glad you came today.”
“Oh, and let me know when your other race is okay? Don't forget.”
“I won't.”
“Goodnight `Ruka.”
“Night Usagi.”
Haruka waited until she saw Usagi safe and sound in her apartment. Lights went on first in the kitchen, then the hallway, and eventually her bedroom. She didn't want to leave. Going home meant going back to an empty house. It was depressing to not have Michiru there with her. A few more minutes, then I'll go home. While sitting in her car, Haruka called Michiru's cell again. It rang but no one picked up. She decided not to leave a message. Snapping her phone shut, a sense of dread ran through her body when she thought about all the things that could have happened to Michiru. Slamming her fists against the steering wheel in frustration she started her car. It was time to face going home.
Usagi had just gotten into her pajamas when the phone rang. She picked it up expecting one of the other girls to be calling; they often called each other at any time of day or night just to talk. Picking it up she waited to hear a familiar voice.
“It's about time Usako. I've been waiting for you.”
The lights went out and Usagi`s blood ran cold. She felt as though eyes were watching her from the darkness and began to panic. Running to her balcony door, Usagi threw it open and prayed that Haruka was still nearby.
“HARUKA! HARUKA!”
A figure dislodged itself from the shadows and grabbed Usagi from behind. Dragging her back in the apartment, he shut the sliding door and locked it. His eyes gleamed in the light.
Haruka was only a block away when she heard Usagi's shouts. She could hear the underlying fear in Usagi's voice when she called Haruka's name and her heart began to pound. Haruka slammed on the breaks and turned her car around. All thoughts of Michiru disappeared as she sped back towards Usagi's apartment.
“Please,” Usagi whispered. “Please no.”
“Shh. I'll take care of you.”