Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Who Killed Dr. Tomoe? ❯ Chapter 1

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: The original Sailor Moon characters and story all belong to Naoko Takeuchi. Any characters that did not appear in the original story are my own creation.

Ratings/Warnings: Rating is PG. There is at least some minor bashing of most of the characters involved in the story, but it is all done for the sake of good clean humor in mind. (As opposed to just making the characters look stupid.) This story uses a lot of my favorite characters, so I'm not going to bash them TOO bad. ^_^

Summary: When Michiru watches one too many murder mystery flicks, she starts to develop suspects of her own... which might not be so bad if she wasn't accusing Setsuna of knocking off Hotaru's father! What's more, she's trying her hardest to convince Haruka of Setsuna's crimes so the two of them can catch her in the name of justice. No sanity can possibly come from this.

Story Setting: Beginning of Sailor Stars.

---------------------
Who Killed Dr. Tomoe?: Chapter 1
by Katrina Kadabra

Haruka slipped the key into the door of her house and turned the handle. A fresh and familiar aroma greeted her as she pushed open the door and walked in, the smell of home. It felt good to be back again. As she walked into the living room, she saw Michiru sitting on the couch, eyes glued to the television screen. Whatever was on the screen must have been nerve-racking, as Michiru was nervously fidgeting with a dish towel in her hands and nibbling away at her nails.

"Hello, Michiru!" Haruka called out. A scream erupted from Michiru's throat as she jumped up out of her seat. Haruka sighed.

"You're watching those murder mysteries again, aren't you?" she asked, picking up the remote and turning the show off.

"I can't help it," Michiru replied. "These are all based on real events, you know. We need to be cautious. Someone you think could be your best friend could be hiding a terrible secret."

"That so?" Haruka asked, setting the remote and her keys down on the table and removing her jacket. "I guess that means Setsuna and I are your first suspects, huh?"

"Oh, Haruka, stop it," said Michiru with a nervous laugh. "I didn't mean you two." Haruka raised an eyebrow and stepped towards Michiru.

"But didn't I tell you?" she asked in a suddenly soft and dangerous voice.

"Tell... tell me what?"

"About the body Setsuna has buried in the backyard."

"Sh-she does not," Michiru stammered. Haruka took another step forward.

"Oh, but she does," she said in the most menacing voice she could muster. "And that's just the beginning. In fact, she confided in me that every night she's been sneaking away to do her bloody work..." Haruka was almost right in Michiru's face, staring down at her with frenzied, maniacal eyes. Suddenly, Haruka broke into laughter.

"I can't believe you! You're completely terrified!" she said. Michiru stamped her foot and threw the towel down on the table.

"Haruka, you're so awful!" she said. "I thought you were serious! I was so scared!"

"Oh, come on," said Haruka. "Setsuna's the kindest person I can think of. You know that."

Michiru nodded nervously.

"Yes. Yes, I suppose you're right."

* * * * *

Late that night, Michiru was aroused to an unusual sound. Some kind of clamoring going on just outside. Nervously, Michiru sat up out of bed and threw on her robe. As her feet shook with each step, she crept over to the window and peered outside. A dark figure was walking past. A female figure with long hair past her hips and a bun on top of her head. And propped on the figure's shoulders was a large heavy bag. Michiru gasped and pulled away from the window. Only four words managed to escape her lips:

"I... can't... believe it..."

The next morning, Haruka sat sipping her morning coffee and looking over the newspaper to catch up on the current events. Setsuna had to leave for work early that morning, so she said. Hotaru went with her so Setsuna could drop her off at school, and the moment the two girls were out the door, Michiru walked up and bolted the lock behind her. Haruka glanced up from her reading.

"Michiru, what are you doing?" she asked.

"Haruka, you were right!" Michiru exclaimed. "Setsuna. She really IS a murderer."

"What?" Haruka set the paper down to turn her attention towards Michiru and hope that her ears were playing tricks on her. "What are you talking about?"

"Last night... I saw her sneaking out! Just like you said!"

"Michiru," said Haruka, rolling her eyes. "I already told you! I made that story up!"

"But I SAW her!" Michiru insisted. "Just last night. She was walking around outside with a large bag over her shoulders."

"Don't tell me," said Haruka, holding her hand up. "You think Setsuna had a body in there, right?" Michiru nodded.

"I think I know whose it was too," she said. Haruka raised an eyebrow as she went to take another drink of the coffee. She couldn't wait to hear this. Michiru cleared her throat.

"Dr. Tomoe!" she announced in a most official tone. Haruka fell forwards, spitting a mouthful of the hot liquid back into her mug.

"What?!" she asked.

"Dr. Tomoe," Michiru repeated. "Think about it! We haven't seen him around lately! And doesn't it seem odd to you that he just gave Hotaru up like he did? There's only one solution! Dr. Tomoe was murdered by Setsuna…

"...in the living room with the butcher knife, right?" finished Haruka. Michiru turned her lip out, and Haruka stood up from the table. "Honestly, Michiru!" she said. "You're being ridiculous!"

"I know it's perfectly natural to deny that your good friend may be a cold-blooded murderer," said Michiru. "But the sooner you accept it, the safer you will be." She reached out a placed a small plastic object into Haruka's palm. Haruka looked down at the item.

"What's this?" she asked.

"A pager. If I see anything suspicious, I'll give you a call, okay? And you can call me as well."

"Did our communicators suddenly cease functioning or something?" Haruka asked.

"Silly," said Michiru with a smile. "If I send you a message via our communicators, it's possible that Setsuna will pick it up as well. It's much safer this way."

Haruka rolled her eyes and groaned as she clipped the pager onto her belt. "I need to get going," she said. "I have practice early today."

"Be careful out there," said Michiru as she tearfully watched Haruka go. Haruka sighed as she closed the door behind her. This whole thing was getting way out of control.