Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Who Killed Dr. Tomoe? ❯ Chapter 2

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: The original Sailor Moon characters and story all belong to Naoko Takeuchi. Any characters that did not appear in the original story are my own creation.

Ratings/Warnings: Rating is PG. There is at least some minor bashing of most of the characters involved in the story, but it is all done for the sake of good clean humor in mind. (As opposed to just making the characters look stupid.) This story uses a lot of my favorite characters, so I'm not going to bash them TOO bad. ^_^

Summary: When Michiru watches one too many murder mystery flicks, she starts to develop suspects of her own... which might not be so bad if she wasn't accusing Setsuna of knocking off Hotaru's father! What's more, she's trying her hardest to convince Haruka of Setsuna's crimes so the two of them can catch her in the name of justice. No sanity can possibly come from this.

Story Setting: Beginning of Sailor Stars.

---------------------
Who Killed Dr. Tomoe?: Chapter 2
by Katrina Kadabra

The rest of the day passed with little or no excitement. Michiru paged Haruka once or twice "just to check and see if she was okay." Haruka said that she was fine and told Michiru to stop worrying. And by afternoon, it really seemed that things had calmed down. Throughout most of the evening, Michiru did not say a word about Setsuna or Dr. Tomoe. Maybe she had actually gotten this whole thing out of her system, Haruka thought. Or so she hoped.

No such luck. That night, the problems started all over again.

Haruka had just started to fall asleep when there was a knock at the door. Rubbing her red dreary eyes, Haruka rolled over and turned on her bedside lamp. The light, though dull, stung at her eyes and blinded her for a few moments.

"What is it?" she asked as she sleepily sat up. Slowly, the door opened. As her eyes adjusted to the light, Haruka just made out a blurry image of Michiru's aquamarine hair as she peered into the room, clutching a pillow and two blankets in her arms.

"Haruka, can I sleep in here tonight?" she asked. Haruka groaned and laid back down, massaging her forehead with her thumb and forefinger.

"Why?" she asked.

"I'm scared," Michiru answered. "My room is right next to Setsuna's, and there's no lock on the door. Plus I'd feel safer if I wasn't alone." Michiru looked over at Haruka with deep sad eyes. "Please, Ruka?"

"You sound like a little kid," Haruka mumbled. "But if it will make you feel better, go ahead." Michiru smiled and walked in, shutting and locking the door behind her. At the foot of Haruka's bed, she spread one blanket onto the floor, laid down her pillow and snuggled under the second blanket she had brought with her.

"Good night, Haruka!" she said happily.

"Good night, Michiru," Haruka muttered as she reached over to turn the lamp off. But before she got that far, Michiru cried out,

"Don't do that!"

"Don't do what?"

"Turn the light off! Don't you know that's just asking for trouble! If the light is off, we will never see anyone coming."

"Michiru," said Haruka as calmly as she possibly could. "It's late, I'm tired, and I can't sleep with the light on. Like you said, the door is locked! We're perfectly safe."

"I just don't want it off," Michiru said.

"Fine," Haruka sighed. She was too exhausted to argue the point further. Just let Michiru have her way, and they could deal with this in the morning. That thought in mind, Haruka closed her eyes and tried to drift back to a peaceful sleep. Only she didn't get very far.

"Haruka?" Michiru asked.

"What?" Haruka asked, not opening her eyes.

"Your floor's too hard. Can I come in with you?"

Haruka groaned, but didn't bother to try and argue again. She merely moved over to the edge of the mattress, figuring Michiru would get the idea. Michiru grabbed her pillow and walked up to the bedside, crawling under the covers next to Haruka. But the small bed was not made to accompany two people and in a few moments, Michiru was startled awake to a loud thud.

"Haruka?" she asked, sitting up. She looked around, but Haruka was not there. She glanced over the edge of the bed.

"Haruka, what are you doing on the floor?"

Haruka sat up, rubbing her head. "Tell you what, why don't I go to your room?" she suggested.

"No!" Michiru exclaimed. "Setsuna might come in to get you if the door's not locked."

"Michiru, Hotaru's door doesn't have a lock either," Haruka pointed out, though she wished she hadn't done so. Michiru gasped and sat up.

"Oh my gosh, you're right!" she said. Quickly, she jumped out of bed, unlocked the door and hurried to Hotaru's room. Meanwhile, Haruka grabbed her pillow and settled down on the blankets Michiru had laid out on the floor. It was going to be a long night.

* * * * *

The sun greeted Haruka the next morning far earlier than she would have liked. She looked over at her bed, where Michiru and Hotaru were both fast asleep. At least they looked comfortable. Still not willing to get up, Haruka yawned and ran her fingers through her tangled light brown hair. Her back ached like she'd been sleeping on rocks the whole night.

"So my floor's hard," she muttered to herself. Just then, she heard a light clatter coming from the doorway. Someone was unlocking the door! As the handle turned and the door slowly creaked open, Haruka let out a gasp. A menacing looking figure stood over her, eyes glowing an eerie yellow. One hand gripped a large knife, held directly over Haruka's chest. Haruka gasped and quickly sat up. In the open doorway stood Setsuna. Her eyes were calm and somewhat perplexed, but most definitely not yellow. But to Haruka's shock, she was still holding a precariously large knife at her side.

"Haruka?" she asked. Haruka did not respond at first. She heard Setsuna talking to her, but her voice was somewhat muffled and hard to understand. She had to snap herself back to earth. "Haruka?" Setsuna asked again.

"Huh? What?"

"I said, what are Michiru and Hotaru doing in your room?"

"Um," Haruka tried to think. Clever answers were not her strong suit, and trying to come up with some logical reason that would satisfy Setsuna was not as easy as it looked. "Hotaru had a bad dream last night and wanted to come in here," she said. That seemed to make enough sense.

"And... Michiru?" Setsuna asked.

"Dang it," Haruka muttered. "Uh... she had a bad dream too."

"Oh," said Setsuna. She didn't bother to ask any more questions, which was somewhat of a relief to Haruka, though she found it hard to believe that anyone with common sense would buy that story. But at this point, the story became irrelevant the noise aroused Hotaru and she sat up.

"Hi Setsuna! Michiru wanted me to come in here last night because there's no lock on my door," she said informatively. Not giving the statement a second thought, Hotaru jumped off the bed and hurried back to her room to get dressed.

Again, Setsuna left the house early, only a few minutes after breakfast. She took Hotaru with her just as before, only this time it was Haruka who stood up and locked the door behind her. Michiru looked up curiously.

"What's up, Haruka?" she asked.

"Michiru," Haruka sighed. "As much as I hate to admit it, I think you were right. About Setsuna."

"Of course I'm right," said Michiru proudly. "Whatever made you think otherwise?"

"I'm sorry I doubted you," Haruka admitted. "But that's not important. Now that we know what's going on, the question is what do we do about it?"

Michiru looked thoughtful for a moment before she answered. "I say we lay low for a while. Don't let Setsuna know we're onto her."

Haruka nodded. "You're right. That's probably safest. Tell you what, we'll see if we can get some information off of her at dinner tonight. After that maybe we can take what we know to the police."

"I guess..." Michiru said doubtfully. She stood there silent for a moment gazing at the floor. "Oh, Haruka!" she suddenly cried out, grasping her friend's arm. "I'm so scared!"

"So am I," Haruka answered, placing a reassuring hand on Michiru's shoulder. "So am I."