Saiyuki Fan Fiction / Gensomaden Saiyuki Fan Fiction / Saiyuki Reload Gunlock Fan Fiction ❯ Snow Angel ❯ Part I ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]


 
 
Snow Angel
 
 

 
 
Summary: [Three-part `One-shot'] [Sort of AU as it happens after Gyumao is defeated] [Sanzo x Goku] How Goku and Sanzo spend a winter's day… fluffy, so I'll tag a mild OOC warning, too.
 
 

 
 
Goku snuggled closer to Sanzo, relishing the warmth of his embrace. The sun was almost over the hill but the frostiness of the previous night whispered against his face and hands with undiminished maliciousness. There were few tourists besides them. Winter was not the most favourable season for visiting the Tiger Hill to watch the sunrise. Their guide, Shun, had said that they were extraordinarily lucky to have been able to watch the sunrise. In fact, the last time he had seen such a wonderful sunrise in winter was over forty years ago when he had come up here, a little boy, with his uncle.
 
 
Sanzo's glove-clad hands closed over Goku's and his chin came to rest atop his shoulder.
 
 
“Baka saru,” his breath teased Goku's cold ears, “you ought to have listened to me when I told you to put on gloves and scarf.” Sanzo momentarily touched his cheek with his lips. “And now you are so cold.”
 
 
Goku turned his head, hoping to kiss. But Sanzo gazed on at the scenery before them and made no move to acknowledge what he couldn't possibly have missed.
 
 
Goku pouted but turned back. Sanzo had always cringed from any sort of public display of affection, claiming that he saw no reason to put his private matters on a public show. The very fact that he held him so close despite the scandalous glances thrown their way had startled Goku. It had not been easy for this solitary monk to admit his affection and attraction for Goku. He had gone about hiding it even from Gojyo and Hakkai, although the two had more than once dropped hints that they were pretty much aware of what was on between the two. How could they have not? The four had spent over a year together. It was near impossible for them to hide anything from each other.
 
 
At the end of their `mission', Sanzo had not gone back like Hakkai and Gojyo. Goku had been staying with Sanzo in the west for almost three months now. He missed the other two a lot. Sanzo had not explained his refusal to return to the monastery. Goku had never asked. He had a sneaking suspicion hat Gojyo and Hakkai had a fair idea about it. He hated being the `stupid' one of the group. He hated it even more when the other three never shared any of their secrets with him or did not explain to him what they understood between themselves without words. As he had always said, he had no secrets of his own to share so it got annoying when his friends kept theirs from him. He had given up trying to know about such secrets though. If they kept it from him, he had reasoned one evening, then they probably weren't important enough to know anyway.
 
As the valley lit up with the first rays of the sun, Goku moved a bit closer to the railing of the cliff, trying to distinguish people. All he was able to recognize was the shiny gold top of the Druk Monastery. Their day's schedule included going there, too. It had seemed quite different from Sanzo's monastery when they had passed it earlier on their way to the Tiger Hill. Would Sanzo be tempted to go back to his own after visiting it? He sort of wished he did… he really missed Gojyo and Hakkai.
 
Sanzo was so still that Goku wondered if he had fallen asleep. He turned a bit again. He loved the way the sun lit up his lover's amethyst eyes - like live jewels.
 
“Let's get going, huh?”
 
Sanzo let go of his hands and moved back.
 
“We will get you gloves and scarf first.”
 
“Nah… I'm good.” Besides, then you can keep me warm.
 
“Suffer, then.”
 

 
Morning prayers had begun at the monastery. As soon as Goku got out of their jeep, he broke into a run uphill towards the monastery. He hadn't run even a yard when he skidded on the slippery path and ended up crashing into Sanzo.
 
“BAKA SARU!” yelled Sanzo as both of them tumbled down ungracefully.
 
“Sorry, Sanzo,” said Goku, heaving himself up on his hands and smiling sheepishly. “I forgot about the snow.”
 
“You forgot? After you almost threw me down the cliff at the Tiger Hill with the same stupidity, you forgot? Now get the hell off me before you crush me to death!”
 
 
“I'm not that heavy, Sanzo,” pouted Goku as Sanzo pushed him off and got up.
 
“Sanzo? Genjo Sanzo?”
 
Sanzo froze mid-brushing his hair and looked up. From the next level of the spiral pathway that led to the monastery, an orange-clad monk was regarding him with some interest. A few young monks, who had milled about him, looked at the blonde intently and then began whispering among themselves.
 
“Oh man! I think the water has soaked through my pants! Gahhhh!”
 
Sanzo glanced at Goku, who was oblivious of the monks staring at him and was trying to brush the water off the butt of his jeans, which was really an impractical and hopeless action.
 
“Come on, Goku.”
 
“My butt's gonna freeze,” whined Goku, catching hold of Sanzo's sleeve as he felt he would slip again. Honestly! They need to have better roads around here!
 
“Genjo Sanzo. It has been long. Where have you been?”
 
Goku was startled as Sanzo stopped abruptly, causing him to fall.
 
“Oh crap!”
 
Sanzo cast him an exasperated look and grasping him by his arm, pulled him up.
 
“Are you still the head monk, the Genjo Sanzo?” was the next question, laced with sarcasm as disapproving eyes hovered over the way Sanzo rested his arm around his companion's waist and the latter flashed him a sinister smile.
 
“Very much so.”
 
“You guys know each other?” asked Goku, finally becoming aware of the priest talking to his lover.
 
The monk gave a barely perceptible nod. Sanzo said nothing.
 
“Oh, cool! Hey, is that really all made of gold?” he asked, pointing to the elaborate top of the pagoda shining… Sanzo's hair is brighter, he thought absently.
 
“Of course, young sir. Why don't you look around? You can even go inside the sacred prayer room if you want. Have some refreshments, too. After all, it isn't everyday that Genjo Sanzo visits our humble monastery.”
 
Goku had perked up at the word `refreshments'. However, before he could say a word, Sanzo replied, “No, thank-you. We are here merely as tourists and would prefer to be treated like any other visitor.” Unlike Goku, the sarcasm in the monk's voice had not escaped him.
 
“But, Sanzo…” Goku began. However, Sanzo cast him a cold look and dragged him towards the courtyard where the voices of the students chanting from the scriptures could be heard.
 
Goku glanced back and was startled to find the monk, who he had thought to be friendly, staring steely at them.
 
“Who was that guy?”
 
Sanzo made no answer as he gazed at the paintings and carvings on the walls.
 
“Sanzo…”
 
“Don't you shut up for even a moment?” he hissed menacingly. “Would it kill you to shut the hell up for one bloody moment?”
 
Goku backed away, hurt. A year ago, no words from Sanzo's spit-fire mouth could have really bothered him but now that he had known Sanzo's gentlest kindness, it was becoming steadily difficult for him to accept it.
 
A while later, he murmured something about going away and ran down towards where their jeep was parked.
 
Sanzo's fists tightened around the railing against which he was leaning.
 
“Don't push him away… he really loves you, man…”
 
“And from what I can see, you return his feelings as strongly.”
 
“Yeah… and remember… I will break every bone in your body if you hurt my monkey.”
 
Stupid kappa… stupid smarmy demon…
 

 
To Be Continued in Part II