Saiyuki Fan Fiction ❯ Calling my soul ❯ Chapter One ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“Alright, next please!” a woman called out, holding a clipboard in her hand while the other is on the doorknob. She scanned the room for the next person to audition. Her hazel eyes casting glances at each young applicant present. Tucking away a few strands of her purple hair behind her eye, she called out again, louder this time.
 
Most of them were practicing on their own, listening to their Mp3 players, going over the lyrics, girls retouching their make-up, some trying to look confident, some a nervous wreck and many more. Something which she has seen already many times, as she has been doing this job for over a year.
 
“Hai!” replied one of the teenagers, and stood up. Smiling nervously at the adult, she hastily straightened her skirt and rushed over to the manager.
 
A smile spread on the woman's lips as she placed a hand on the young girl's shoulder, and squeezed it gently as to calm her down.
 
“Go ahead and I wish you luck.” She said kindly. She stepped aside to allow her to enter the room, where the judges were waiting.
 
The girl took a deep breath, closing her eyes for a moment before opening them and turned to the adult.
 
“Thank you…Ms….” She peered closely at the I.D dangling from her neck. “Ms. Mei Shen.” Then flashed a sincere smile at her and walked inside.
 
Mei giggled softly to herself as she closed the door behind her and watched as the girl introduced herself to the men in front. Cute and it seems that she has a good personality, but is her voice the one they were looking for? Positioning herself beside the table where the judges were seated, she signaled at the technician to start the music.
 
Mei Shen, a twenty year old woman, also a manager currently working for Heaven Records, and one of those in charge of the audition to look for new talented people. Once they find them, it's off to the road leading to their debut.
 
Music filled the room, the girl waited patiently until it was her cue to start singing. Flashing smiles at the judges, she made some gestures with her hands to express the mood of the song, even dramatically closing her eyes to add more effect from time to time. Unlike some who would literally dance their way across the floor while singing, she just stayed put, and shifted a bit when necessary.
 
“No…this isn't the one we're looking for…” Mei thought silently to herself, and looked over to the judges. She took note on how unimpressed they were. Having heard enough one of them raised his hand, telling her to stop.
 
She did and looked at them, with high hopes that she had passed, but at the same time afraid that she didn't. Hands clasped together, she waited for them to say something. Beads of sweat already present on her forehead. That look on her face, it made the manager sad, as she felt sorry for the girl, but she isn't the only one who has been declined.
 
“I'm sorry, but your voice isn't good enough.” An aged man named Jiroushin said, folding his hands beneath his chin, a disappointed and solemn look on his face. “Thank you for trying though…Mei…” he glanced at the young woman, who stiffened at his gaze, already aware of what she was to do next.
 
“Hai,” she nodded and walked over to the girl, and gestured at the door. “I'm sorry, but thank you for coming.” Mei gave her an apologetic smile and tried her best to ignore the tears that were forming in the girl's eyes.
 
The girl bowed at them and slowly made her way to the door with her head low. It broke Mei's heart to see that this girl was already starting to believe that she didn't have a chance in the music industry. Leaving the group to discuss some more, she followed the girl out.
 
“Don't worry, there are other auditions for you to go to…” she said in a reassuring voice. Only to be given a mumble in response and the teenager walked away, spirit still crushed. Her shoulders sagged as she sighed, for she couldn't understand why people these days give up so easily. Especially the young ones, who are given so many chances and yet just throws them away, thinking that they can just get it back when needed.
 
“I might as well get back to work.” She scanned the list of names until her eyes rested on the one of the person who was next. Raising her head up, she called the name and was relieved when the applicant replied right away.
 
“Hey…how long are we going to do this?” droned the only female beside Jiroushin audition room, as she lazily traced the rim of her glass with a manicured nail. Head resting on the back of her hand, long black hair tied in a ponytail as usual, her eyes full of boredom.
 
Jiroushin sighed wearily. As usual, his boss was losing interest in this task of theirs. “Until we're able to find a singer of course.” He replied in a matter-of-fact way, and refilled his glass with water, his eyes casting brief glances at the woman at his side.
 
“We've already listened to about twenty singers though…” she pointed out. She went over the profiles of those who had already auditioned earlier and dumped them back on the table. “And none of them were that thrilling…so let's call it a day…”
 
 
“Ms. Bosatsu! That would be disrupting the schedule! We still have one hour left before it's over!” Jiroushin exclaimed. He choked on the water but took no notice of the small mess he had made. He was hoping that they would all stick to the schedule, as he was the one who had planned all of this.
 
“No…I'm bored already…” the dark-haired woman said firmly, already making to get up. And smirked as her assistant groaned loudly, for she had just foiled his plans, again. This is something he should be used to now, as she does this often but it can't be helped as once she finds something boring, she would want to move on and find something more exciting.
 
“Excuse me? Do you want to hear the next one?” Mei asked, as she had just heard the part where the boss had decided to stop for now. It didn't bother her at all, as they were already half-way through the list, but she was worried about the people waiting outside. Clipboard held in her arms, she walked up to them.
 
Kanzeon brought a finger to her chin, analyzing the female manager as she asked them if they wanted to continue. Clapping a hand gently on her shoulder she said, “That's right; tell them to come back tomorrow.”
 
Her hand brushed off her as she walked past Mei, heading towards the door. “Well, see you tomorrow!” Kanzeon waved at her.
 
“Ah! Wait for me!” Jiroushin immediately gathered the files and rushed after his crazy boss. Frustrated as this means he would have to make arrangements for tomorrow, but he forgot that Mei was to handle that. Busy thinking up plans for the next day, he left the manager alone in the room with the technicians.
 
“Not again…” Sure she doesn't complain, but she can't help but get tired by this little routine. At least she has some free time now. She thanked the men before getting her purse, and left the room as well. As expected, she was surrounded by angry teenagers, stomping their way out of the building as they were just told that they will come back tomorrow.
 
“I'm sorry, but you will all have to come back tomorrow!” Mei announced. Standing at the front of the waiting room, she received moans and groans as their reaction. Some even glaring at her, but she tried her best to ignore them as she turned to take her leave. Why can't they get it into their heads that they still have a chance?
 
Some people can just be so demanding.
 
------------
 
“Not again!” a red-haired man exclaimed, sluggishly walking out of a building. The case of his bass slung over his shoulder as he sauntered down the street. He just failed another audition, just when he thought that he was going to land the big one. “Just because girls love me doesn't me you have to reject me…”
 
“Hey! Gojyo!”
 
Hearing his name, he stopped and turned around. An eyebrow arched, he stared as the familiar mass of brown hair bounded down the path and ran up to him. His crimson eyes staring down at him as he watched the kid try to catch his breath, he waited until the boy is able to catch his breath. After a while, the teenager looked up, revealing his golden eyes that were full of excitement.
 
“What's up Goku?” Gojyo asked, surprised to find him in a place like this. It perplexed him as usually at this time he would both be back home or something and not be at a place where Gojyo would be. “Shouldn't you be with Hakkai or something?”
 
Once he finally got himself to stop panting, he stood up, grinning from ear to ear. “So, did you pass? Did you?” Goku asked. His hands balled into fists, held out in front of his chest as he leaned forward and waited for Gojyo to reply.
 
“Sadly no, they couldn't handle the fact that women prefer me over the other men in the band…” Gojyo mumbled. He turned around to lean back on the cemented wall and started to leisurely enjoying his smoke. Brushing away some hair away from his face, he noticed the boy staring at him. “What?”
 
“Are you sure it's not because you didn't play good enough?” Goku asked, taking his place beside the man. Pointing at his hair he added, “Or maybe because you have those antennas?”
 
“Shut up! There's nothing wrong with how I play and there is definitely nothing wrong with my hair! So quit it!” Gojyo replied hotly. He self-consciously ran a hand through his hair. Frowning, Gojyo flicked away the used stick and got his back off the wall. “Well then, I'm off…”
 
“Ah wait! Hakkai also wanted me to let you know that he invited you to dinner as well!”
 
This caught his attention. Gojyo shifted his gaze to Goku. “Really? Why that's very nice of him.”
 
“Of course! It's Hakkai we're talking about!” Goku exclaimed. He gestured wildly then grabbed Gojyo by the arm and started to pull him. “Come on! I'm sure he's already done cooking and if we don't the food will get cold!”
 
“Alright already, I'm coming and I was getting hungry anyway.” Gojyo chuckled. He unhooked his arm from Goku's grasp then started to follow the hyped up boy to their destination. Burying his hands in the pockets of his pants, he watched in amusement as Goku began to go on about on what dishes Hakkai might have prepared to night.
 
“Baka! Is food all you can think about?”
 
“Ah! Don't call me a `baka' you dirty cockroach!”
 
“Hush you monkey boy!”
 
“Water kappa!”
 
-----------
Ding dong!
 
A figure lay on the bed, in a deep slumber - or was in a deep slumber as someone had just interrupted his sleep, began to stir as the sounds of the doorbell rang over and over again. Finally, he rose from under the covers, the blanket sliding down to reveal a man with hair that shined almost as bright as the sun. Except his hair, was quite frazzled, he had been in bed until now.
 
Grumbling, he shifted himself so that he was sitting on the edge of the bed, leaning forward, an arm lazily resting on one leg while he rests his head on the palm of his hand, elbow resting on his other leg. The constant ringing annoyed him further, and so finally, he got up. He left his room and trudged his way to the door.
 
Forgetting that he looked rather disheveled, wearing a shirt that was wrinkled all over with pants that were just as crumpled, he opened the door. With annoyance spreading all over his face and his violet eyes narrowed, he said in a cranky voice, “Who is it?”
 
“And good evening to you too.” The woman he loathed was standing there in the doorway; hand on her hip as she looked at him smugly. Another annoying face appeared from the side.
 
“I'm sorry! But Ms. Bosatsu refused to let up the chance of stopping by here!” Jiroushin, her assistant began to explain, but he ignored him.
 
Great…
 
“What are you doing here you old hag?” He asked rather rudely. Not bothering to invite her inside, His hand grasped the doorknob firmly; ready to close it once she dictates her reason for being here.
 
“My, is that how you greet all your guests?” Kanzeon asked teasingly and brushed past him. Jiroushin trailed behind her, and silently apologized to the man for their sudden intrusion.
 
He just sighed heavily, closing the door, but inwardly scolded himself for letting them inside without resisting. Next time he was going to have to look through the eyehole before opening the door. Frowning, he went over to the living room where they had seated themselves on his couch. “So what are you doing here? You know that at this time I would be asleep.”
 
“And you do know that you could have gotten a better job right Sanzo?” Kanzeon asked, with a smirk. Noting that it was the same as usual as Sanzo wasn't all that into having so much furniture and didn't like it when he has to clean up. So, he decided to keep the amount of his possessions to a minimum. Only buying what would be essential.
 
“It's none of your business.” Sanzo said irritably as he leaned on the doorway. He was cranky as he had only gotten a couple of hours of sleep and that these two were invading his personal space, again. “Anyway, get out if you just wanted to say that.”
 
“Actually, I was wondering if you wanted to audition…” Kanzeon said aloud. Fingering some strands of her hair, she watched him closely.
 
“Ms. He already said that he wouldn't-“Jiroushin began but was then cut off as when she held out her hand to silence him. He complied.
 
Once he was quiet, she slowly lowered her hand and averted her gaze back to Sanzo. “Are you up to it?”
 
An eyebrow was arched in perplexity, as he just stared at the woman. Analyzing as to why she was bringing this up when he had already declined several auditions. “Why should I? I have no interest in participating…” he replied dryly. Closing his eyes, but couldn't help but be mildly interested at her attempt to coax him into her little scheme.
 
“Are you sure?”
 
“Yes.”
 
“Even after your father said that you can do anything you wish?”
 
That last sentence made him jerk his head to her. It made him furious that she was trying to use this tactic of mentioning his parent to get him to join an audition. “Get out…” he ordered in a dangerous tone. Sanzo glowered at the woman then without another word he left the room.
 
The nerve of that hag… he thought bitterly to himself. Almost stomping back to the confines of his room, and purposely slammed the door behind him.
 
Standing there, he scanned the room, his eyes rested on the picture frame sitting on his bedside table, resting beside the digital alarm clock. Silent, he pondered on some old memories. It just gets on his nerves whenever someone brings up the subject on his parents. Like hell, he would ever tell anyone about them.
 
Running a hand through his hair, he carried himself over to the bed, and set himself down. Deeply annoyed at them for invading his home - speaking of which, they better have left already or else - and now it was impossible for him to go back to sleep.
 
But he decided to lie down anyway, maybe he'll just happen to fall asleep. Absentmindedly staring at the ceiling, arms just limp at his side; he tried to recall what time he was to get up to get ready for his night job. Now that he thinks about it, she was right, he could have gotten a much more decent job, but he was too stubborn to admit it or look for one.
 
Why should they care? It's my life and not theirs…
 
------------
 
“I can't believe that he's still that hard-headed…” Kanzeon groaned as she stretched a bit. Despite that, her lips were pulled into a small smile and inwardly chuckled.
 
“Anyway, we must be going. We have already overstayed our welcome!”
 
At this, she stared at him, amused by his statement. “'Welcome'? I doubt that we even had it from the beginning!” But she got up anyway, as there was nothing else to do now since the owner of the place had already locked himself in his room. “Since the cranky one has holed himself up in his quarters, it's not fun anymore.”
 
Jiroushin sighed, not believing that he really was working for a woman like her! And to think he has been for several years already, he has always been her assistant for as long as he can remember. Felt almost like an eternity. He was relieved that she had agreed to take their leave and got up as well, following her to the door.
 
Opening the door, she glanced over her shoulder, and her eyes stopped on the door where behind it lies its current occupant. Smirking she turned and exited the unit, with her assistant behind her. He had just asked her why he should join something like a singing audition, which means he doesn't know the answer himself.
 
Both stepped into the elevator, she turned around, her lips tugged into a smirk as she has the distinct feeling that things will get rather interesting. If not now, then soon, it will become exciting and liven up the place. As the doors closed she thought,
 
It's your calling…