Saiyuki Fan Fiction ❯ In the eyes of a child ❯ Goku and the surprise ( Chapter 2 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Title: In the eyes of a child
 
I don't know how, but I've lost the right way to Konzeon's office in the dark - all the doors and hallways look the same in the dark of the night!
 
Why am I up so late anyway… oh! I had an idea this afternoon; I know now how to make Konzeon really smile! It's the best idea I've ever had, and I can't wait to see his face! I bet he will like it…
 
…I hope he will like it…
 
But it's a surprise for him, so I have to make it all alone in the dark, in his office, so he can't see it before I'm finished. He can see it all day long then, because he spends his whole day in here unless I drag him outside.
 
I waited until he was deep asleep, and then a little longer, just to be sure. It's easy to tell when Konzeon's asleep, because his breathing goes deep and he stops frowning so much. I slept a little in the sun this afternoon, ready for tonight, so I won't get tired and can stay up really late making his present perfect.
 
But I can't make his surprise when I can't find his office! I need to find it! Where has it gone? It can't run away from me, can it? That is not fair, I want to try it with my great idea!
 
Wait, what's that? There is something in the air; it smells sooo good, and I think my stomach likes it too, because it growled very loudly.
 
I can eat a little first, and then search for that stupid room again - it will be easier when I'm not so hungry! I don't know the palace that good because I haven't been here long, but I'm sure I'll remember once I've eaten just a little bit… At least there is one room that I can find easily - the kitchen! It smells so *so* good there, and all I have to do is follow my nose! That's how I found it this afternoon, after all.
 
I wondered, if I could make Konzeon's office smell that good too, maybe than I could find it easier? We can always eat there, too, whenever we want.
 
Konzeon would never allow it.
 
I asked him this afternoon; sadly he didn't like the idea. He yelled at me for always thinking about eating, then he yelled again saying I was distracting him from his boring work. As if it is that much fun, always drawing the same little picture on all that stupid paper, while outside the sun is smiling and the birds are singing and the flowers are smelling…
 
Smelling…
 
That reminds me; earlier today, I sniffed the same scent as now. Cookies! I smelled cookies, sweet, fresh, hot, sugary cookies! Earlier, that smell led me to the big kitchen in the lower floors of the palace. There where sooo many people, running around and cooking lots of different kinds of food. It all looked so good and smelled really, really tasty and I was hungry, so I walked in and asked if I can have some of it; after all, there was so much, they wouldn't mind if a teeny weeny bit of it is missing, would they?
 
“Yes, we would!” They sounded even more annoyed than Konzeon! I tried to explain, I just want a little, not all of it, really! Just a little bit, to silence my hungry stomach! Because for the dinner, I have to wait so, so long - a whole hour!
But I'm hungry now, so can I have just a little to taste? It smells so good!
 
But the boss of the kitchen, a big fat man, was a really, really mad one! I didn't like him much, especially when, as soon as he saw me, he caught me by the back of my shirt and throw me out! Right out of the door! Far away from all the good things to eat, and without a single bit to taste! He didn't even give me one of the cookies lying on the table waiting for a decoration (or a little boy to eat them?).
 
He yelled, to; “I don't want a heretic in my kitchen! This is a place of cleanliness, and you're filthy! You don't belong in here, you don't even belong in Tenkai! Now get out you disgustingly dirty child!”
 
He made me so mad! I'm NOT dirty! It's not my fault that it's been raining all day, or that there was a mud puddle, or that there was that stupid stone lying in my way, or that I tripped over it and landed right in the middle of the puddle! But I was bathing two hours ago, thanks to Konzeon; he actually threw me in the water tub, saying I was not fast enough to get in myself! I told him all that, and that Konzeon would tell him so too, but he wouldn't listen, just said that the kitchen is his, and as long as he is here, he didn't want to see me ever again here or anywhere else, for that matter.
 
Meanie! I never did anything to him… until now, that is. Maybe I played a prank on him once? I don't care, he was still mean, and it's not like I asked to stay here!
 
“Then bring me back where I came from, if you don't want me here! All I asked was for a little to eat, so there's no reason to be so mad to me! You don't even know me!”
 
Then, just as the cook inhaled to yell at me again, Konzeon walked in.
 
That was not good.
 
He looked like a thunderstorm, and as he opened his mouth he sounded like one too:
“What do you think you are doing here, baka saru?! I told you to stay at my side! I never told you to run away alone! Or did I say something like that and just forget?”
 
I opened my mouth to answer, but he carried on yelling. Why did he ask me something, when he doesn't want to know the answer? Maybe he knew the answer already, but then why would he ask me something, if he knew the answer already?
 
Sometimes I can't understand him…
 
He dragged me back to his office, angry that he had to search for me, I think. I don't know why I can't look around on my own; how should I know my way around when I'm always in his office?
 
 
But right now, in the middle of the night, none of them are here. Not Konzeon and not that stupid, mean cook, it's just me and that wonderful smelling kitchen, with all the funny things and the good food.
 
And it was all for me! I don't think I've ever seen that much food all at once!
 
I sniffed around a little; I don't know where I should start. The cookies? I smelled them earlier, so sweet and good and easy to find. They made them just a few hours earlier and put them on a table, but that unfriendly cook had put them on a shelf, in a box, out of my reach.
 
It's so unfair; I can see the box, but I can't get to it! I bet they taste like honey and sugar and chocolate. Like they smell.
 
I want some.
 
Now.
 
I really, really want to taste them!
 
I know the cook put them so high on purpose, I bet he even smirked as he did it!
 
He is really unfriendly!
 
And not very nice!
 
And mad!
 
And did I say unfriendly?
 
I bet he wants to eat them all alone, and not give a single one of them to someone else! He's making fun of me, just because I'm not as tall as he is! I hope I grew up fast, because it is very, very boring to be so short! Yeah, one day, I'll be sooo big, they can put the cookies as high as they want, and I'll still reach them! I'll even be taller than a house, and no one will ever yell at me again, or put yummy little cookies right out of my reach!
 
I hope I have to wait only a little time, because I don't want to wait too long.
 
I want the cookies.
 
The tasty, little cookies.
 
Cookies, cookies, cookies, cookies cookies!
 
I look around a little, but I don't see a better way to get to them - there's no ladder or chair to stand on, and I'm still too short, even when I stretch as far as I can. There's only one way to get them, then; climbing up the shelf! Maybe Konzeon is not all wrong when he calls me monkey? But that isn't bad, because monkeys climb trees and can get all the fruits they want. And there is never a tree that's too high to climb.
 
…Yeah, maybe being a monkey is not so bad after all!
 
 
 
I hear suddenly an odd sound, but I don't know where it came from... Something cracking? What was that? A trap that mean cook had made for me? Suddenly, I feel something move under my foot. I look down, expecting the trap, but I don't see anything. Then there's that creaking sound again, and the shelf moves! Before I can jump down, the shelf cracks in two, and I'm thrown backwards, landing hard on my butt.
 
“Ow! Owowowowow!!!” I rub my poor, hurting butt, but then something falls on my lap - the cookies! They must have been jogged by me falling off the shelf! What good luck! Grinning, I open the box.
 
Wow! Maybe the cook wasn't the friendliest person I ever met, but sure he know to make cookies. They taste really, really good! There are little bits of chocolate in them, and over them, too, and they tasted even better than they smelt! They crunched really loudly when you bit into them, but the inside was soft and sweet, and they were just the right size, and - where did those shadows come from?
 
…Uh oh.
 
`That canít be good' I think, as I turn around with a worried grin.
 
Why is “He, he. Hi!” all I can say?!?
 
They got me with my hand in the cookie jar for real this time - Konzeon and the mean cook from before! I can tell from the look on Konzeon's face that he's not happy I'm here. Not a little bit. And the cook didn't even like the look of me earlier, and now he look even worse. Why is there never anywhere to run and hide when you need one?
 
For a moment it was silent.
 
Then all at once, the cook was yelling at Konzeon, and Konzeon was yelling at me, and I had to try really hard not to cover my ears with my hands it was so loud! The cook was screaming that Konzeon should keep animals like me on a leash if they always run away, and Konzeon was mad because I snuck away while he was asleep. Really, what should I say? `Let me go, I want to make something for you'? At best he would tell me to shut up and go to bed. Oh. The surprise. I was so busy getting distracted by cookies that I'd nearly forgotten, and now Konzeon was awake again. And yelling.
 
Now the cook's shouting at me, and Konzeon at the cook; the cook's really red in the face, and he has ugly purply blotches on his cheeks. Konzeon looks angry too, but with all that pretty long hair around his face and furious purple eyes he still looks kinda pretty. He must've caught sight of me looking at him though, because he stopped growling at the cook and started telling me off again. Now the cook's yelling at me again too, calling me a `bottomless heretic', even though I'm not sure what a heretic is, and Konzeon's angry that the kitchen wasn't locked during the night.
 
I really can't understand why they always have to yell at everyone, I can hear them just fine as it is. I decide to ignore them, seeing as they're yelling at each other again, so I sit back on the floor and eat my cookies. Konzeon told me to ignore people when they say things that aren't nice, and some of the things they're saying to each other are definitely not very nice, so I'm going to ignore them, too. It's noisy, but I think I better let them yell as long as they want. Maybe they'll eventually tire themselves out and stop? After all, a storm can't blow all the time, sooner or later, no matter how long it takes, the sky will be clear again.
 
After a while my eyes are closing on themselves, but I don't have the time to sleep right now, I have to think of a way to sneak around the two screaming men and out of the door! I still have to find a way to Konzeon's office - I have a surprise for him to do, to make him smile a little. He really looks like he needs it now.
 
But I can't hold my head up, so maybe…
 
…Just a little nap…
 
I feel sudden arms around me, lifting me up, and I hear Konzeon grouching at me that I'm `pretty damn heavy for such a stupid little monkey'. I try to tell him I'm not a monkey, but his skin is warm, and I can hear him telling me to `just go to sleep'…
 
…perhaps I'll make his surprise tomorrow night.