Saiyuki Reload Fan Fiction ❯ The Sutra ❯ Chapter 4 ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

The Sutra - Chapter 4
 
Tamizu and his men stood upon a hilltop, looking down upon the town that was busting with lively sounds of children playing, the women doing about with their daily chores, the men plowing at the fields and the elders busily chatting and gossiping among themselves. From his spies, the famous Sanzo's party was currently lodging at the town's inn. Smirking, Tamizu planned his brilliant strategy, a strategy so ingenious that Kougaji would be too stunned to do anything. With it, the downfall of Kougaji would begin and his rise victorious! For countless years, he was snubbed by everyone despite the fact that he's the son of Gyumao. Everyone supported Resetsugyo and her son, Kougaji plainly because they were Gyumao's favorites or the prestigious status they had as queen and crown prince. His mother may be a lowly concubine but that didn't interfered with his dreams and ambitions to become who and what he was today.
To him, Kougaji was weak and hesitant in most of his tasks. So far, Sanzo's party was getting closer to Tenjiku and what had that weakling done? Nothing! Absolutely nothing! Gyokumen Koshu was right in her judgment. Gnashing his teeth, he recalled Kougaji's sardonic description of him as a sex slave. Fine, he was and still sleeping with the vixen but it was all in his plan. To gain her confidence, trust and favour. With them, there would be no hindrance in his plans because he knew the fear that she had swept through the land of Tenjiku. Gyokumen Koshu may look frail but her ruthlessness, cruelty, selfishness and surreptitious methods were the keys to her success and dominances. Her assets are fortunately not passed down to her daughter, Lilin.
Lilin. That aggravating childish brat. She possessed monstrous strength from Gyumao but lacked the brain to put it into good productive use. How he longed to dig his nails into her little neck, crushing the every life out of her as Gyokumen Koshu did with his mother. The perfect revenge. Yet, the time was not ripe yet. Lilin and her vixen slut would live for now. The more extension, the sweeter it would be.
The issue now was to get rid of Kougaji's supporters as much as possible, most importantly, Yaone & Dokugakaji. Without them, Kougaji would be helpless. That would take some more planning and calculation to overpower Yaone's intensive knowledge of poison & explosives and Dokugakaji's fighting abilities. Kougaji had chosen his team well but not good enough! Nevertheless, as long as he obtained all the Sutras, their power was his alone and no one else. Gyumao could rot in his metal grave forever while he, Tamizu, would be the ultimate emperor of Heaven, Earth and Hell!
His chin held up in defiance as his green eyes flashed at the oncoming changes that were about to happen to the town very soon.
         
 
In his own room, Hakkai sat on his chair, stroking Hakuryu's soft furry mane. Hakuryu said nothing as it smuggled onto its master's lap, making low murmuring. It knew what its master was thinking and feeling. He was worried and reasonably too. Like Goku, Hakkai wanted to know how did Sanzo obtain the Sutra so quickly and effortlessly. From Sanzo's brief response, it was very hard to believe that the Sutra combine with Sanzo's Sutra without much fuss. More importantly, who was this weird oldster? How did he know about the Sutras? Was he really listening to someone or just putting on an act? Was he demon? No, he couldn't be. There was no demonic presence around him.
Then, he felt Hakuryu licking his chin with its wet slippery tongue. Smiling, he patted it and gently rubbed its neck. Hakuryu must be worried as him as well. Animals were more sensitive over such things than humans or demons. Hopefully when Sanzo recovered from his headaches and in a better mood, he could reveal more.
Startling, a thunderous booming running into the streets, followed by screams of horror. Hakkai swiftly looked out of the window and saw a band of demons charging into the town, fangs snarling, razor sharp claws lengthening out and their tongues licking for the fresh taste of blood. Standing in the middle of the town square, a demon that Hakkai had never seen before. In truth, he wasn't sure whether such a demon truly existed. Yet, the appearance did have some distinctive figures of an average demon - pointed ears, fanged teeth and hands with claw-like fingernails. It was half-crouching with beefy arms hanging loosely. Its skin hideous purple with black bluish fur around its loins and powerfully built legs, its face so gruesome and saliva was dripping out of its triangular mouth. Gleaming yellow eyes searching for its preys as the mouth opened to reveal a mass of rotten jagged teeth. The other common demons were completely out of its way, targeting on the terrified townspeople.
 
Wasting no time, Hakkai jumped out of from the window and blasted energy balls onto the common demon, evaporating them into thin air within seconds. Gojyo and Goku were already at the scene, finishing off the common demons, allowing the townspeople to flee while they still could. Noticing the demon creature was approaching the inn. Hakkai fired an energy ball to catch its attention. It worked. The creature turned and fiery green flame ruptured from its mouth. Instantly, Hakkai created a barrier to protect himself but it was slightly too late. The flames knocked him to the ground but did not scorch him.
Goku, using his staff, speedily aimed at the vital points. Surprisingly, the demon creature caught it and swung it around. Goku hanged on the other end of the staff tightly as the creature kept on spinning and spinning till it released it, sending Goku crashing into the ground. Covered with bruises, Goku spat onto the ground and grinned. This creature was incredibly strong and he liked it.   
The creature stood there, watching Goku recovering. Gojyo attacked from behind, wrapping his chain around it. The creature dropped on all fours, its muscles rippling from within. Spikes rose from the length of its spine and broke the chains as easily as paper. Enraged, the creature roared and began to spring on its prey. Its speed so rapid that Gojyo was too stunned to move. Hakkai suddenly stepped in and shot a bright large energy ball. The blast sunk deep into the creature, throwing it backward in mid-air. It struck the ground in a heap and thrown further back till it mashed into a few blocks of walls.
Panting, Hakkai and Gojyo watched the clouds of dust fading away. Goku stood by them, his hands gripping the staff so tensely.
 
Astonishingly, the creature was back on its feet, unharmed and untouched.
 
“Damn, he's good.” Goku whispered, a bead of sweat trickled down his cheek.
“Is it really a demon or some washed out crap created by Gyokumen Koshu?” Gojyo cursed.
“I don't know but we better get it before it gets us!” hissed Hakkai, placing his hands in a circular position. It would be a really good time for Sanzo to show up now.
 
The creature came at the trio, dodging the fireballs that Hakkai was firing. Raging, it flew in front of Hakkai, caught his left arm and attempt to sink its other hand into his stomach. Hakkai caught it, fastening his grip on the creature's wrist, holding it upright so it could not reach his body. The creature bent forward and tried snapping its jaws at his neck. Goku leapt on top of him. With his staff, he placed it between the jaws. Holding onto the ends, he pulled back, forcing the creature to stagger backwards. The creature struggled, tightening its hold of Hakkai's left arm to the point of where it could twist the bones in two. Hakkai winced at the sharp pain. Using the blade, Gojyo sliced the demon creature's arm off, flesh, veins, bones and all. The creature shrieked, a frenzied shriek that nearly deafened the trio. In its madness, the creature gathered all its strength, caught Goku by his foot with its remaining arm and threw him upon Hakkai and Gojyo.
 
The trio tumbled down, rolling and spinning, locking into each other.  
 
The creature threw back its head and roared. Then, its yellow eyes fixed upon the trio lying sprawled all over the ground. Its mouth parted and more saliva was dripping. Hakkai groaned as he tried to get up. In a blurred vision, he could see more demons backing up the demon creature. This time, they had weapons and swarming into like black ants. Snapping its teeth, the demon creature gave a wicked grin. Its thoughts concentrated on the final blow.
Then, out of the blue, an explosive gunshot was heard. The demon creature turned and glared at the intruder, a human in pale yellow priestly robes. His high forehead bore a red charka. There was coldness reflecting in his violet eyes and his hands was a gun with wisps of smoke was swirling around it.
“Sanzo!” gasped Hakkai and Goku together.
“About time, you slug!” Gojyo yelled.
“Too bad you three aren't dead yet,” Sanzo replied, standing in front of the demon creature. His distance was the midpoint behind the demons and the trio. With one flash of his eyes, the demon creature took a step back.
 
“Afraid, are you?” Sanzo taunted, glancing at the common demons. “I don't suppose you losers are Kougaji's men. Knowing Kougaji, his choice of demons are much more exciting.”
“Curse you, Sanzo!” One of the demons burst out in the front line. “We serve Prince Tamizu and this demon creature is one of his creations of science and sorcery given to him by the Great Queen Gyukumen Koshu. Don't think you can defeat us!”
“Oh really,” Sanzo sarcastically replied. “So now the vixen has more idiots to do her work.” His eyes darted onto the demon creature. “Well, what are you waiting for?” Pressing his hands together, he challenged it. “Come and get me!”
 
The demon creature gave a wicked roar, scratched its leg against the ground and charged, with the common demons running behind it, with their war cry. Sanzo closed his eyes and began to chant. His voice, low vibrant hum, blending into the sweet air, the singing of the birds, rustling of the leaves, the earthly smell of the fresh soil and all breath of all living creatures of the world. Then, a voice emerged out apart from his own, a toneless voice, devoid of life and an emptiness so chilly that it frosted Sanzo inside out. Faster than a split second, a great burning sensation flooded through him, growing with every word he chanted. Filling his senses with all sorts of scenes, beautiful yet dark and horrifying, losing his control over the Sutras. In the blur, he felt the Sutras spreading itself all over the town, consuming the weak demons in its fiery amethyst light. The Sutras were wrapping themselves around the creature, threatening to tear the struggling creature apart. All of a sudden, the amethyst flames broke out, exploding in one shining blinding white light.
 
Hakkai turned away, shielding his eyes from the light as he created an aura to protect himself and the others. The power of Sutras was breathtaking and petrifying. He could hear the demons shrieking in anguish that shook the ground beneath them. The demon creature's cry was the worst, so ear splitting and angst it sounded that Hakkai almost felt pity for it. When he, Goku and Gojyo turned back, they saw Sanzo knelt alone, in the center of charred ash that flowed all the streets of the town.
 
Feeling his legs had turned to lead, Sanzo collapsed to the ground. He remained still, catching his breath as his pulse and heartbeats returned as they were. The sensation was indescribable, too magnificent for any fanciful vocabulary to use. Half closing his eyes, he fought against the dizziness that was menacing enough to flatten him. He was awfully worn out, drained of all his energy. Pressing his head, he gave a soft groan of oncoming headache pounding inside his head.   
 
 
“Sanzo!” The trio rushed towards him.
 
 
“Daijoubu (Are you alright?) ka?” Hakkai held him, disturbed at Sanzo's appearance. He looked haggard with his bloodless cheeks and chapped lips.
“Yeah,” He mumbled, leaning upon Hakkai for support. Waves of nausea were overwhelming him like an insane torrent. Unable to fight them any longer, darkness overtook him.
 
“Sanzo!” Goku cried, catching hold of the priest.
“Oyo! Sanzo!” Gojyo shook Sanzo roughly by the shoulder. “Hakkai?”
“He's alright. It's fatigue.” Hakkai bent down and carried him with both arms. “After all,” He said very lightly. “He hasn't been eating and sleeping much lately.”
 
“True,” Gojyo solemnly nodded his head, surveying the area. “And he did one hell of demon purification. He could have taken down the whole town if he wants to.”
 
“Yes, but at least this could keep this Tamizu & his men away from this town for some time.”
“Tamizu? Who the heck is he?”
“I don't know but I bet he'll return with stronger reinforcement.”
 
“Ne… Hakkai?”
“Yes, Goku?” He saw the boy's brown eyes glistening with concern.
“Will Sanzo...” Goku softly spoke, too afraid to continue.
“He's alright. With some rest and food, he'll be back on his feet sooner than you think.” Hakkai assured him, smiling. “At the meantime, you and Gojyo could buy me some medicine and painkillers for me to treat your injuries.”
 
“Injury?” Gojyo laughed. “Little bruises or scratches won't kill us so easily, right?” He winked at Goku.
“Right!” Goku brightly nodded. “Quick! Let's go and get the painkillers now.” He ran off.
 
Gojyo looked at the unconscious Sanzo, then at Hakkai. He was having the same look as his and probably the same thoughts.  
 
There was something about the Sutra and they had to find out triple fast before someone gets really hurt.
 
Or killed. 
  
 
Upon the hilltop, Tamizu witnessed the entire battle and he was shaking nonstop. He did not anticipate such a defeat. The creature that he spent time and technology on it had gone to the dust within seconds. Not to mention almost half of his forces! Gulping in air, he could understand why Kougaji had not defeated them yet. Their power was far beyond he had imagined. He had underestimated them very badly and that was the cost of his overconfidence.
Holding his head high and swallowing his pride, Tamizu knew he had to return to get reinforcements without letting himself being humiliated. Brutal as the reality was, he had to combine forces with the other princes. That would be easy for now and when the time was ripe, he would have to exterminate them as quickly as possible.
Clutching his hands into a fist, he cursed and swore he would pay every one of them, especially Genjo Sanzo! That priest would be the last to be tortured and his flesh would be eaten while he was still alive in his torture chambers! His three followers would suffer a similar fate for betraying their own kind. Yes, Far worse than any of them could think of! 
 
Nevertheless, that painful defeat made him yearn for the power of the Sutras even more.     
 
 
 
To be continued