Saiyuki Reload Fan Fiction ❯ The Sutra ❯ Chapter 5 ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

The Sutra - Chapter 5
 
 
“There you go,” said the shopkeeper, a bulky man with thick moustaches. “It's on the house. A simple gratitude of what you & the priest did back then.”
“Really? Thank you!” cheered Goku gleefully. “Then, I'll bring them back straightaway.”
“Lively little chap, isn't he?” The shopkeeper grinned, fingering his moustaches as he watched the boy skipping away. A pack of cigarettes was tossed to Gojyo. “Here, thought you might want some.”
“Thank you,” Gojyo lit one of them. “Ah!” He puffed it out in thin lazy wisps.
“By the way.” The shopkeeper lit a cigarette for himself. “Just to let you know, I add in some sleeping pills with the painkillers in case the priest couldn't sleep for tonight.”
“Hm? Why? That corrupt monk is too exhausted to need any.”
“It's just a precaution,” The shopkeeper muttered. “Wouldn't want history to repeat itself.”
“History?” Gojyo became alert. Leaning against the counter, he asked. “What history?”
 
 
“Well, as you probably heard,” The shopkeeper answered casually. “There used to be a Sanzo living here way back when I was a little lad. My father told me that in the last few years of his life, the Sanzo often came here to buy painkillers and sleeping pills because he was having trouble sleeping and had headaches all the time. Rumours had it that the Sanzo was having voices in his head.”
Bending closer, he lowered his voice, “Then, strangely, he died of all a sudden. Sort of unexpected for his age, I tell you. The gossips around here said the Sanzo's personal servant killed him and kept the Sutra hidden away, maybe for himself.”
 
“Why would they say that?”
 
 
 
“Well,” His voice went even lower. “No offense to your priest friend but it was said the Sanzo was doing something unorthodox. To save the soul of the Sanzo, the servant killed him and hidden the Sutras. The reason for this was because he repeatedly denied having the Sutra when the monks from Changan Temple questioned him. In addition, the servant only represented an ash urn to the monks, saying he had to cerement the body because it was beginning to rot due to the illness he died from.” He chuckled. “Perhaps all this is just a ghost story to scare children.”
“Yeah,” Gojyo stood up and slightly waved his hand. “Thanks again. Bye.” Pausing at the doorway, he turned again and asked. “How old was the Sanzo when he died?”
“Oh, let's see. Around his twenties, I guess. Why?”
“Nothing,” Gojyo left. “Just wondering.”
 
“The Sanzo died around in his twenties?” Hakkai gasped, after Gojyo filled him in. Standing by the doorway, he could see Goku sitting next to the sleeping Sanzo. Closing the door, Hakkai & Gojyo went into another room, two doors away from Sanzo's. Ensuring themselves that Goku couldn't hear them, Hakkai continued.
 
“Are you sure?”
“Yup,” Gojyo smoking another cigarette. “Before the Sanzo died, he was suffering from headaches, lack of sleep and wouldn't eat much.”
“That's what Sanzo is going through right now. What else did you find out?”
“It was said the Sanzo had a servant who had the body cerement and the Sutras hidden after he died. Rumours had it that the Sanzo was doing something… unconventional. They had no idea what it was but they believed whatever he did, it killed him.”
“That means that the Sanzo did something with his own Sutras and now, it has combined itself with our Sanzo's. Somehow it connected itself with Sanzo. Otherwise, he wouldn't have found it so easily. Telepathically?”
 
“Voices,” Gojyo pointed to his head. “Our Sanzo could hear them calling out to him. That would explain the headaches. I know I would, if there are voices ringing in my head all the bloody time.”
“The oldster. He knows something about the Sutra. We have to find him.”
“Fine with me. But what do we tell Goku?”
“Just tell him to look after him till we come back. Until then, don't let Sanzo use his Sutras.”
“Easier said than done provided that Tamizu & his men won't return so soon.”
“We'll have to hurry then.  
 
 
Rain fell mildly upon the temple rooftop, pattering down the hallway and dripping onto the window screens. In a room, mostly forbidden to monks, sat Kyomo Sanzo and his discipline, Koryu. Kyomo Sanzo slipping his tea as he studied Koryu, smiling to himself at how much the boy had grown since the day he found him. It was an ordinary day like no other and Kyomo decided to have a stroll along the riverside. Before he was barely at the riverside, he heard a melodious voice. The voice was crying out his name. Intrigued, he followed the source of the voice till he spots a basket tugging along with the flowing waters at the sides of the riverbed.
Astound, Kyomo hastily went over and drew the basket out of the river. Studying the basket, Kyomo could see it was neatly hand woven with mud & straw painted at the bottom to prevent river water from seeping in. Untying the basket, he carefully opened it and surprised to see a beautiful baby boy sleeping quietly under the brown blankets. With gentle arms, he carried the baby in his arms. In the sunlight, the baby's skin glowed luminously. His golden hair was shinning harmoniously with the sunflowers. Then, the baby stirred and rubbed his eyes with his cubby hands. Opening his soft eyelids, Koymo saw the colour of his eyes for the first time, a pair of pure violet eyes.
Till now, his features were still the same though he had grown taller and matured faster than the other children. No matter how much he had changed psychically and mentally, Koryu would always be the little baby he found at the river.
 
“Koryu.” He whispered.
“Yes.”
“Come here. I have something important to tell you.”
“What is it?”
 
“In due time, the monks will demand for you to have a Buddhist name and may want you to shave your head.” Fingering the boy's golden hair. “It would be a real shame for you to lose your hair.” Touching the boy's chin. “So I decided to give you a new name. From now on, your name will be Genjo Sanzo.”
“Sanzo?” The boy was taken back. “What do you mean?”
“Yes, Koryu. Your name will be Genjo Sanzo, the one of the 5 successors of the Sutras of Heaven & Earth. I think the name suits you very well.”
“That's not the point!” Koryu protested. “I don't want to be a Sanzo. I want to be with you.”
“Koryu… no. Genjo Sanzo,” Kyomo held him closely. “You are a big boy now and soon, you will be an adult. It's time for you to take your place. You are not an ordinary boy, Genjo. The dharma powers you have clearly shown me that you are destined to be a Sanzo”
He then took out a needle and pricked his index finger. Genjo was remained still but he was trembling within. With smile, Kyomo pressed his finger onto Genjo's forehead and chanted. Genjo closed his eyes and chanted along with him. Deep down, he was crying.
“Don't be sad, Genjo,” Kyomo hugged the boy. “Always remember I'll always be with you.”
As soon as he said that, a raucous thunder was heard.
So was the sniggering of the demons.
 
And a Voice rang in Genjo Sanzo's mind.
 
Was that how you became a Sanzo? Pitiful mushy words and a mark from Kyomo Sanzo's finger? Rather unbelievable, don't you think? Or is this is what you want to believe in, Genjo Sanzo? Or should I say, Koryu Kawamono.
 
What the hell do you want?
 
The truth, Koryu. The truth about yourself. The truth about your past. The truth about your present. The truth about Koryu Kawamono, the abandoned baby by the river, the legendary Genjo Sanzo, the slayer of demons. The one who would face Gyumao in the future.  Tell me, how is it that a person like you who refuse to abide the rules of a monk and yet could still hold the title of Sanzo? Isn't it awfully baffling? 
 
Why ask me if you can see my memories?
 
I want to hear it from you, Koryu Kawamono or is it Genjo Sanzo?
 
Suit yourself, twisted freak.
 
Let's place this issue aside. Tell me, Koryu Kawamono. Why did you become Genjo Sanzo? Based on what reasons did you become Genjo Sanzo? Out of love for Kyomo Sanzo? Possible! Or it for Revenge? Tell me, Koryu…. It is and still revenge. Maybe this is what really happened…
 
“What do we do now?” the monks whispered among themselves. “Kyomo Sanzo has been killed!”
“It's the boy, Koryu.” One accused. “He killed Kyomo Sanzo. He was evil the moment Kyomo brought him in. He's the one!”
“Yes,” Another agreed. “He's must be the one! He's the only one with Kyomo Sanzo on that night!”
“He's the one! He's the one! He's the one!”
 
 
Hidden in the shadows of the room, Koryu sat in front of the mirror, glaring at his reflection. He failed Kyomo. He failed Kyomo who protected and cared for him since he could remember. He could have protected him. He could have killed the demons. He could have stopped them from taking away the Sutra. But he failed. Miserably.
Gnashing his teeth and roughly wiping away the tears that couldn't stop flowing, Koryu chided himself for being weak. He mustn't let them see he crying. He mustn't. He mustn't let them win. Whether they were humans or demons. He mustn't let them see him weak! He must be stronger! Much stronger!
Walking to a closet, he opened out a drawer and took out a small case. Inside the case, contained red charka powder, as red as the blood of Kyomo Sanzo. Using his index finger, he pressed it against the powder and placed it upon his forehead.
 
“From this day on, I shall be known as Genjo Sanzo, one of the 5 successors to the Sutras of Heaven and Earth.” He clutched his fist. “With the Sutra, I could use it to annihilate all demons. Yes, I'll have my revenge on them. All demons will die. They are evil. They are murderers. They are dirt. They must die. They must die. I'll kill every single last one of them. They must die! Die!”
 
So, it is true. Genjo Sanzo was born out from the blood of Revenge. That's why we get along so fine with each other. We both think alike. We both agreed that demons must die. We both know that all demons should be eliminated for the greater good of men.
 
Get out of my mind! 
 
No need to be discourteous. Soon, you'll see things clear enough…
 
“Sanzo… Sanzo… Sanzo…”
 
 
Grudgingly, Sanzo stirred within the blankets, cursing at the gray sunlight that filtered through a narrow window next to his head, causing him to squint against its brightness. Once again, Sanzo felt he hadn't slept at all. Seeing him awake, Goku handed him a glass of water and some painkillers. He took them and drank them down in one mouthful. Lying on his back, he stared at the ceiling fan.
 
“Ne… Sanzo.”
“What?” He covered his eyes with his arm. “Why the hell you woke me for?”
“I didn't!” Goku stared at him in surprise. “You woke up on your own.” Folding his arms. “Besides, you didn't sleep at all.”
“What do you mean?”
“You looked asleep but I sense you are not sleeping.” Goku scratched his head. “I don't know how to explain it but this is what I felt. Stupid, isn't it?”
 
“Not really,” Sanzo pulled himself up. A lightening pain shot right at his head. He winced.
“Sanzo,” Goku pushed him down. “You shouldn't get up. Hakkai says you need lots of rest.” 
“Let go of me, you stupid monkey!”
“No! Not until you promise to rest.”
“Do you want me to shoot you?”
“You can't because your gun is not with you!”
“Don't make me mad, monkey!”
 
“I'm not a monkey!” Goku shouted back, his eyes burning. “I'm worried about you, Sanzo. You don't sleep well; don't eat much except drinking beer and smoking. Your headaches are reoccurring. You fainted after the last fight. If you continue to be like this, you could get worse or even die!” Tears glistened at the corners of his eyes. “And I don't want that to happen!”
 
“You idiot,” Sanzo laid back and pat Goku on the head. “I won't die so fast and easily. Not with you calling my name so many times.”
“Huh? I didn't call you.”
“Never mind.”
“It's true, I didn't call you.” Goku sat beside him.
“I said forget it.” Sanzo turned and lay on one side. “Maybe I was hearing things… Where is Hakkai & Gojyo?”
 
“They went out for a while.”
“And the Sutras?”
“On the table with your robes.”
“I see…”
 
“Sanzo?”
“What is it this time?”
“You kept on saying you hear voices…”
“So?”
“Does it have to do with the Sutra you found?”
“Maybe…”
“The Sutra…” Goku went silent.
“What about it?”
“There is something ominous about it.” Goku blurted out. “It's very powerful but it's also very frightening. Its presence is different from the other times you used it. You shouldn't use it anymore.” 
 
“Fool, if I don't use it then how do we get rid of the demons?”
“Like we always do, with our fist & weapons.”
“That didn't work just now.”
“I know but…”
 
“Demons are filth and filth must be get rid of,” Sanzo turned around. Goku felt a chill climbing up his spine. There was something bloodcurdling in Sanzo's voice and the way he looked at him. It was like he was a different person. Goku walked backwards as Sanzo got up. His violet eyes were hostile, frosting the chill inside Goku.
“This is whole land, Tengenkyou, is filled with simpletons with idealistic dreams of humans and demons living together! No two opposing forces can be together at the same place. Look at gods! They placed themselves in the skies because they couldn't stand the dirt of humans & demons. Look at Gojyo, the taboo child. Stuck between the blood of human and demon, he stands nowhere! Look at Hakkai. He is a victim of those dirty demons! His reasons to kill demons are justified and yet, and ironically, he was transformed into one by their impure blood. And look at you!” He took his gun from the table. “A smutty brat locked in stone prison for 500 years. I should have left you there to rot!”
 
Aiming his gun at Goku, he whispered harshly. “Or should have killed you.” His finger locked onto the trigger. “And it's not too late.”
 
“Sanzo…” Goku was shaking, trembling violently at the man whom he once knew as Sanzo.
 
“Die, scum.” His finger pressed onto the trigger.
 
“Sanzo…” Goku's eyes widen with fear. He was breathless, immobilized. Then, a thunderous booming swept through the streets. The two, both distracted by the noise, looked out. From the window, they could see an army of demons advancing towards the town. Sanzo smirked and went towards the table.
 
“More bugs to crush,” he muttered, putting the Sutras around his shoulders. “I'll deal with you later.”
“No! Sanzo!” Goku jumped up and grabbed him. “You must not use the Sutras!”
“Release me, insect!”
“No!” Goku screamed, clinging on to him, praying hard the Sanzo he knew would come to his senses. For now, he couldn't let this stranger go.
 
Sanzo parted his lips. Only this time it wasn't words but a sound that shattered the air to nothing. Goku felt something twisting and tightening his whole body. Throwing up his arms in a futile effect to protect himself, he stumbled and fell backwards, laying crumpled on the ground. Sanzo was towering over him, robes drawn close, his face twisted in disgust. His hands zooming down for his neck and then, everything went black.
 
 
 
To be continued