Saiyuki Reload Fan Fiction ❯ The Sutra ❯ Chapter 6 ( Chapter 6 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

The Sutra - Chapter 6
 
Hakkai & Gojyo hurriedly tracked their way back to wooden shrine. Fortunately, they both remembered the way quite easily. Not far behind the shrine, they could see the oldster pouring sacks of dirt into the hole. His skinny arms wobbled under the heavyweight sacks. Seeming to sense their presence, the oldster looked up. Tossing the sack down, he walked towards, flinging his bony limbs about, shouting at the top of his lungs.
 
“What are you two doing here? You have what you want. So get out! Leave! Go away!”
“Not so fast!” Gojyo roughly grabbed the oldster by shirt. “There are some things we need to find.”
“Ah… Gojyo,” Hakkai softly hinted. “Not so forceful…”
“Who cares?” Gojyo's red eyes fixed on the terrified oldster. “The longer we delay, who knows what the Sutra might do with Sanzo. The last thing I want to see is Goku crying.”
“Please forgive us,” Hakkai spoke. “We have an urgent matter to attend to and we need your help.” Growing stern. “We need to know that the late Sanzo did with his Sutra that caused his death.”
The oldster shook his arms wildly. “I don't know what you are talking about…”
 
“I believe you are the servant of the late Sanzo that the townspeople talk about,” Hakkai interrupted, his green eyes gleaming unfriendliness. “You know something about the Sutra and instead of dealing with it, you pass the problem to us because you thought our Sanzo could do something about it. Apparently, it didn't work out and we are getting impatient with your pretence antics. It's either you tell me everything or,” Pointing to Gojyo, smiling. “You can talk to him.”
 
“Yeah, old geezer,” Gojyo curled his fingers. “What is going to be?”
 
 
 
 
 
The oldster darted his eyes at the two, gulped, pressed his lips and held up his arms, surrendering. “Alright, I'll tell you everything I know.” Seating onto a patch of soft grass. “It was 50 years ago when Zenzo Sanzo and I arrived at this town. Zenzo like this town because of the tranquil environment it provided. After days and nights of medicating, he had a vision. He saw that one day, humans and demons would not be able to live together in peace. There would be chaos and terror throughout the land and humans would become the demons' food source. Traumatized, Zenzo was unable to eat or sleep properly for weeks till he came up with an idea. He planned to increase the powers of his Sutra, to make it a weapon against the demons should that day come.”
 
“Increasing the Sutra's powers?” Gojyo questioned incredulity. “Is that possible for a Sanzo to do so? I thought the gods create the Sutra.”
“That was what I said to him,” The oldster nodded. “Still, Zenzo was so persistent that he secretly experimented his Sutras for many months.” Pointing to the hole. “In there. Zenzo found it while he was exploring the town. I persuaded him countless times to end his madness but he wouldn't.”
“Do you know how he did it?” Hakkai asked.
 
The oldster shook his head. “He became aloof, isolated himself and never let me inside. That was fine with me because I didn't want to know either. All I did was to bring his meals. As time passed by, his appetite was getting worse and he gotten sick, always having headaches, telling me he kept on hearing voices.” He wiped his eyes. “I begged him to end his work but he insisted he must complete his work.”
 
“Then how did he die?”
“He… I…” The oldster bit his lower lips, tears rimmed around his weary eyes. “I… killed him…”
“You killed him,” Hakkai gasped, eyes opened wide. “Why? How?”
 
“One night, so I was worried for him that I sneaked down the hole. As soon I reached the ground, I heard terrible dreadful voices echoing. Following the sound, I stumbled into a stone chamber and there he was. He was holding his Sutra, chanting in diabolic verses. In front of him was an altar with a bowl was placed on it. Then, he dipped his Sutra into the bowl.” The oldster dug his thin fingers around his skinny shoulders. “When he held up the Sutra, it was covered… covered with blood.” His voice grew hoarse. “It was an abomination. He had polluted the Sutra and he was smiling. A smile worse than any demon's.” He covered his face.
 
“Go on,” Gojyo prompted.
 
“And in the shadows, there was someone. A demon, bound and gagged. Afterwards, he used the Sutra on the demon.” He shuddered. “That was the most appalling scream I ever heard.” He gulped in air. “Soon after, Zenzo went to neighboring demon villages and had them eradicated, even women and children. Each time he used it, he grew weaker. It was like the Sutra was draining him alive and I grew desperate because I didn't know what to do.”
 
 
“Then a thought came to me. After he was done with the killing, he was very weak. I crept up from behind and stabbed him with a spear, right into his heart. He died instantly. Quickly, I burnt his body, put his ashes into an urn and hid the Sutra back into the chamber. After the Changan monks were convinced that Zenzo died of an illness and returned, I thought it was over.” He went on his knees, bowing. “There, I told you everything, the entire truth! I'm really sorry for your friend but there is nothing that could save him. The Sutra will consume him and you will be forced to kill me as I had.”
“Sorry?” Gojyo grunted. “Because of you, this is how the whole bloody thing started! You knew about it and you didn't tell either of one of us just because you think it's over! Get a life!”
“I know I should but I thought that since your friend is a Sanzo, he could be able to subdue the Sutra.” The oldster became terrified. “Please forgive me!”
“Leave him, Gojyo,” Hakkai gripped Gojyo's shoulder. “We have better things to do.”
“Like what? We haven't got a single clue on how to deal with this.”
“We could start.” He pointed to the hole. “By exploring the chamber. Maybe we could find something to help us.” Glancing at the weeping oldster, he remarked. “After all, he can't do anything about it.  He's over.”
 “Yeah, I suppose so. Well, let's get going.”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Sliding down a rope made of vines, Hakkai & Gojyo, holding torches, cautiously made their way into the stone chamber. Flameless lamps still oddly lighted the place and dust rose in clouds as the two examined the room. It was empty save for the dais and its altar, other than that the room was void of any disturbing presence. It was like someone was left the place a long time ago. Gojyo tapped his hands against the walls, thinking there could be a secret passageway hidden away. The faint thuds echoed around him. As he was doing so, Hakkai studied the altar's structure. The design was very plain with its layers of cement piling on top of each other. He could see cracks darting all over like a leaf's veins, over and over again like a pattern. Something began to dawn upon him.
 
“Gojyo!” Hakkai turned. “Help me to remove this.”
“This? Are you sure? Won't we set off some booby traps or something?”      
“I doubt it,” Pressing his hands against it. “Since the oldster said Zenzo never allow anyone in.”
“Ok… one… two… three…go!”
 
Grunting, the two pushed the altar with all their might, hearing the crackling of the cement. Then, the altar was toppled over, crashing onto the stone floor with a loud boom. Clouds of dust and powder rose in heaps, nearly chocking the two. Sweeping the clouds away, Hakkai bent down and looked down at the opening. His face was grim. Inside, there were bones and skulls.
 
“So, this is how Zenzo did it,” He picked up a small skull. “Zenzo used demon blood. Mostly children since it is easier to lure them than adults.”
“That reckless bastard,” Gojyo agreed. “Dipping the Sutras with demon's blood is bound to have chaotic results. However, shouldn't the Sutra be able to withstand the demon's blood?”
“You have a point,” Hakkai nodded. “Gojyo, help me to clean up this place. I have to examine the room more closely. There must be more to be it.”
“Ok…”
 
“I understand now,” Hakkai exclaimed after a while. Gojyo looked at him for his explanation. “See here, pointing to a distorted symbol. “This is emblem of an ancient demon warrior. And there! See, there's another one and another!” Striding briskly. “All arrange in a triangular position with the dais at the center. This is bad, very bad. The oldster is right. Zenzo is out of his mind.”
“Ok, so now we know Zenzo used demonic forces but what do the symbols represent?  I already know about the part about a 1000 demons' blood can transform a human into a demon but what in the blazes do these symbols have to do with it?”
“Remember Sanzo once said that each Sutra has a distinctive function. Well, I believe Zenzo's Sutra isn't meant to destroy demons like Sanzo's Evil Sutra. Since the gods would definitely refuse, he turned to the demons.” Shifting his eyeglass. “The three ancient demon warriors that were killed by the fighting god, Nataku Taisho. I consider the possibility that his Sutra has the ability to call upon their spirits from the Netherworld.”
“Whoa! Wait a minute! Are you saying that the demons' spirits are inside the Sutra?”
“It is impossible for the spirits to enter the Sutra because of its dharma powers. Therefore, Zenzo used demon blood and himself as the connecting medium for the opposing forces. The results are stupendous, however, it backfired. In order for his Sutra to maintain its killing powder, Zenzo had to continuously killed demons. Yet, he grew psychically weak and eventually mentally, because he was tormented by their voices.”
“To save him, the oldster killed Zenzo, thinking he could end it. Instead, the Sutra became dormant” Hakkai grew deep in his thoughts, lips pursing. “So the Sutra was kept here for 50 years, until we came along. It must have awakened itself as soon it sense Sanzo. It called out to him telepathically…” Pausing for a moment. “Then, as soon as Sanzo touched it, the Sutra automatically combined with his, becoming as one.”
 
“I have a question,” Gojyo spoke. “When the demon spirits and the Sutra were linked though Zenzo's body and demon blood, could they integrate into each other? You know, like mixing ink with water?”          &n bsp; 
“Hypothetically, it could be possible,” Hakkai thought for a moment. “These demon warriors have an intense bloodlust in them… Coating the Sutra with demon blood provides protection for them to interlink… to integrate… Then!” Gasping. “The Sutra could have absorbed their bloodlust to kill. With the desire to kill, the Sutra influenced Zenzo to kill demons. It didn't kill demons to sustain its power! It kills because it wants to!”
“When Zenzo died, the Sutra was unable to do anything because it needs a Sanzo to draw out its power. Instead, it pretended dormant, tricking the oldster to believe that everything was over. After 50 years, it awakened itself as soon as it sensed Sanzo's presence. Using telepath, the Sutra lured Sanzo here, automatically joining itself with his Sutra.”
Gojyo nodded. “That was its lucky day because Sanzo's Sutra is the Evil Sutra that has the ability to annihilate demons. Combing with the Evil Sutra has made it stronger and it's taking control of Sanzo. In other words, Sanzo will grow weak each time he used it, both physically and mentally.”    
 
“We have to rush back to the town. Hopefully, I could find the town's library.”
“What for?”
“We need to know what kind of demons Zenzo conjured up. Remember, there are 3 demons inside the Sutras right now. Having a little information about them will give us the upper edge.” 
 
“Right…”
 
Suddenly, a high-pitched scream interrupted him as a knife cutting through butter. Gojyo and Hakkai instantaneously ran out of the room. Outside, they found a lifeless body, slumped on the ground.
 
It was the oldster, his eyes opened and staring.
 
Youkai (demons).” Gojyo whispered callously, his red eyes gleamed coldly under the dim lights as a group of demons approached them. 
 
 
 
Mounted on his beast, Tamizu stood, filled with renewed confidence. He had brought back an army even greater than the previous one. With his honey-coated tongue, he had manipulated many of the young princes and their armies to join him in the battle to kill the famous Genjo Sanzo. Twisting their young minds, many of them were standing in the front line, all skilled with their own magic and other abilities. Rubbing his hands together in glee, Tamizu felt very assured that Genjo Sanzo could not be able to defeat such a huge army with or without his three followers. Very soon, he would be overwhelmed and conquered with such cease. That would show Kougaji!
In their ranks, the demons marched towards the town, sweeping the valley like black ants. The alarm bell had been rung and the townspeople were fleeing to the underground hideouts for protection. Passing the hysterical crowd, Sanzo walked impassively towards the advancing army, smoking. The monkey was a fool to aggravate him. He had warned him to shut up but he insisted to test his patience. Fortunately, Goku survived. Vaguely, Sanzo felt a bit ashamed of his rash action. He nearly lost control of himself and almost killed Goku. The power of the Sutras was so immense, its essence so pure and addictive. Should he choose it, he could turn Heaven and Earth upside down. How much difficulty would it take to kill a mere being?
On the other hand, the monkey did made a point. Something was happening to him. Headaches, voice ringing in his head and physically weakness were protruding momentarily, especially that blasted voice. Why was it so persist about his becoming to be a Sanzo? Did that matter? He didn't care. Nor did he care about the Sutras. He was meant to obtain them and draw their power out. Period.
Ahead, he saw the army coming to a halt, stretching as wide as the horizontals of the earth. He smirked. How pathetic these demons can get? They should know by now that they could never defeat him. Lifting his head, he could see a demon at the far end of the army, mounting on a horse-like beast. A lanky demon with crystal blue locks of hair tied behind his dark navy jacket. Pasty green eyes silt across his sharp pointy face. In some way, he could visualize Kougaji in him. Another son of Gyumao? Not surprising, since Gyumao had plenty of women with him.
 
“You must be Prince Tamizu, I presume,” Sanzo spoke, his voice strong and commanding. “How appropriate of you to stand behind your dupes.”
“You may defeat me before, Genjo Sanzo but this time, you will fail!”
“Humph!” Sanzo smirked. “If I were to be defeated, everyone knows that this isn't your victory. You useless coward!”
“What did you say?” Tamizu flushed with anger.
“Of all the demons I have fought, you are the lousiest. Even Kougaji himself dare to attack me face to face. What about you? You hid behind your men like a sissy!”
“Don't you dare mention his name in front of me?” Tamizu howled, rising his arm. “ATTACK!!!”
 
The demons charged. Sanzo's lips opened, chanting. Instantly, he felt the magic of the Sutras racing into him, its taste sweet and exotic. The intensity made him feel so alive in a way that he never felt before. It was like he was one with all the elements of the Earth, so free in its glorious splendor, soaking him with the desire to vanquish the entire demon population.
No. It wasn't his desire. He wanted it. Apart from his voice, the same Voice merged out. He didn't care. It was joining, uniting with him. He felt his Sutras spreading themselves out, engulfing the demons in its fiery blinding light. Their wails and anguish cries were music to his ears. He was oblivious to everything, wrapped in its killing haze, drowning himself in its raw power.
 
 
 
Tamizu was petrified. Genjo Sanzo had become more powerful than he was before. In no more than a second, this human had wiped his army like flies. He was like a god! Too shaken to move, Tamizu knew Sanzo had deliberately let him live, to witness his majestic power.  Trembling uncontrollably, he saw the priest coming nearer. In the hazy glow of the light that interchanged from amethyst to white, he was walking very soundlessly on the charred ground. The light terrified him but the way Sanzo looked was freezing him to the core. His face was emotionless, his eyes soulless, as if he was a machine driven to do one thing only. 
 
To kill him.
 
Tears welled up his eyes, wetting his face. He had lost and he had to pay for the price of his failure. What was he thinking? Will anyone help him in this desperate moment? He had no one left! He had nothing! Too sacred to move, his widened eyes saw Sanzo holding out his hand. Purplish luminous light twirled around his fingers. He was grinning. A realization hit Tamizu very hard. The priest was actually enjoying it. His grin was exactly like Gyokumen Koshu's, the very same way she grinned when she strangled his mother…     
 
Out of nowhere, a pair of hands gripped him like iron shackles and pulled him away the oncoming energy blast. Tumbling upon the sandy ground, he feebly rose and saw someone was standing in front of him. A man dressed in green tunic with a purple sash crossed diagonally and jeans. He turned around, his green eyes gleamed relief and a smile so consoling.
 
“You are lucky to be rescued in time. Please leave now while you still can.”
“Um…” Tamizu dumbly nodded. Who was this guy?
 
“Cho Hakkai!” Genjo Sanzo yelled, his eyes flashed anger. “Why did you save him? He's a demon!”
“I aware of that,” Hakkai shifted his attention to him. “However, I must stop you before you harm yourself any further. Sanzo, listen to me! You are not being yourself. The Sutra you found, the late Zenzo Sanzo has contaminated it! If you continue, you'll lose yourself to its bloodlust.”
“Lies!” Sanzo hissed like a deadly snake. Its echoes reverberated in Hakkai's ears. “I, the Sutra, am meant for Genjo Sanzo to use to defeat the demon. Isn't this why he is heading to the west?”
“We are going to the West to stop the revival of Gyumao. Though some demons will be killed, we do not shed innocent blood!”  Hakkai prepared himself, focusing on the next attack. One of the demon spirits was surfacing itself for Sanzo was crouching low, his body moving like a snake, turning and sliding in one direction or another. His violet eyes changed to a rotten yellow.
“You lure him, didn't you?” Hakkai spoke steadily. “You also made the oldster to guide us to it, didn't you? Answer me!”
“That old geek has lived long enough to serve his purpose,” the possessed Sanzo snarled, revealing his sharp fangs. “With this Sanzo's body, I, the Sutra, will get rid of the demons of this lands and purified it to the way I see fit! Join me or die!”
 
 
Purple fire shot out from his fingers, Hakkai threw up a barrier shield and deflected the flames. Defense would not keep him alive for long but he needed to buy time.
“I'll always be willing to join Genjo Sanzo but you are not him! You are such a parasite that is controlling him. I'll not join you in this absurd bloodbath!”
 
 
“Is it because you had too many?” asked the possessed Sanzo, his voice dropped to a flat, toneless voice, devoid of life. Its emptiness nearly chilled Hakkai but he firmly hold his ground. The second demon spirit had shown itself, as Sanzo's eyes became bluish purple. Smiling, the possessed Sanzo produced a fiery image of a pretty woman. Locks of brown hair donned her shoulders, cheerfulness was in her eyes and her lips spoke for love. Hakkai gave a cry.
“Remember her, Hakkai? This woman, Kana? Your wife when you were Gono?” the possessed Sanzo laughed sadistically. “Remember that the demons kidnapped her, raped her, impregnated her and she committed suicide right in front of you! The demons took away your happiness! The demons that made you become what you are today!” Rigid and towering in his robes, Sanzo curled his fingers, smashing the fiery image to tiny wisps.
All of a sudden, purplish flames walled around Hakkai, enclosing him. In a sweeping motion, the flames hailed upon him. Hakkai created a barrier shield but it was too late. Like a net, it caught him in its fiery snare, clamping him. Hakkai felt his chest throbbing with pain and blood in his mouth. Shock was slapping against the inner walls of his mind as Sanzo drew closer to him. It was like looking in the face of an insane savage beast.
 
“Genjo Sanzo always like you, Hakkai because he understands the pain of losing someone to those filthy demons,” Sanzo dug his fingers into the soft flesh of Hakkai's neck, grinning at the sight of his toy grimacing. “Therefore, I'm willing to spare your life on his account,” The Sutras flew up like headless snakes. “On the condition, you become my slave.”
“Sanzo…” Hakkai pleaded, knowing he had to try harder to reach out to him. The real Sanzo was still there, somewhere in this forsaken creature. If only he had more time…
“Don't bother to try. Goku has too failed to reach him. Genjo Sanzo is mine…” Tightening his grip, suffocating Hakkai even more. Sanzo could see what he was doing but a part of him understood why he couldn't exist. He was one with the Sutra. Warm blood was oozing down his fingers, sending him into a frenzy lust. Like in a lover's arms, he moaned at the luxury of feeling Hakkai's last moments of living. He felt so good.
 
Extremely in an abrupt second, an excruciating pain went through his flesh and bone, sending a shaking sensation in the nerves of his body. He didn't know what happen. He didn't have the time to see his attacker. Everything was spinning around him, his lungs drained empty of oxygen. All the majestic power completely knocked off. Then, he fell into the shadows.
 
Hakkai dropped to his knees, taking in very deep breaths of life. Whatever happened save his life! He was too close, much too close to Death. Pressing against his wounds, he looked up. It was Gojyo. Displeasure was printed on his face as he released his weapon. It wasn't his own weapon. It was someone else.
 
It was Genjo Sanzo's gun.
 
“Gojyo!” Hakkai half scrambling towards the fallen Sanzo. “You shot him?” His face whitened at the sight of blood flowing profusely onto Sanzo's robes. The rolled Sutras were lying harmlessly beside him.
“I had to,” Gojyo roughly replied. “Whatever controlling Sanzo almost you and Goku.” Looking down at his motionless friend. “Our Sanzo is a tough guy. A gunshot won't kill him so easily but it will knock him out for a few days.” Taking off his bandana and wrapping it around Hakkai's neck. “Here, this should stop the bleeding for a while. I'll carry this moron only for this time.”
Arigatou (Thank you).” Disappointment was building within him.
 
Gojyo pat him on the shoulder. “Look on the bright side. As long as Sanzo is still alive, we can still save him. Don't be too hard on yourself, ok?”
“Un…” Hakkai silently agreed. Then, he looked around. “What about the demon I saved?”
“Who him?” Gojyo shrugged his shoulders. “I don't know. When I got here, it was just you and Sanzo. Forget him. He's probably long gone by now.”
 
To be continued…