Saiyuki Reload Fan Fiction ❯ The Sutra ❯ Chapter 7 ( Chapter 7 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

The Sutra - Chapter 7
 
Yaone looked anxiously at Kougaji sitting on a flat stone, his serious expression rooted her on the ground. Dokugakaji was leaning against a tree, as usual, waiting for Kougaji's instructions. He too, was solemn. Lilin wasn't in her bubbly self either, her chin resting upon her knees. She didn't like the atmosphere around her and yet, there couldn't be helped. They all witnessed the destruction of Tamizu's army. It was horrendous. The power of the Sutras was more than they had imagined and Kougaji didn't like it. Right now, he could be blaming himself for hesitating to get the Sutra before Sanzo. Genjo Sanzo had grown stronger tremendously and his powers frightened her. She could almost feel the terror that went through Tamizu's mind. He was so close to Death.
Dokugakaji volunteered to spy on him but Kougaji told him to leave him. Tamizu was no longer a nuisance to him. He had nothing left and going back to Gyokumen Koshu would be entering a lioness' den. He had no choice but to flee for his life, to where wasn't Kougaji's concern. She knew what he was thinking. How was he going to deal with Genjo Sanzo?
Shuddering, she wrapped her arms around her. That thing wasn't Genjo Sanzo. Usually, Genjo Sanzo was composed, calm and collected not that deranged monster on a killing spree. He almost killed Hakkai, his own companion, forcing Gojyo to shoot him. Something must have gone wrong when they obtained the Sutra. Something hideous.    
 
“I can't stand it!!!” Lilin shrieked. “Something has happen to Sanzo and I want to know what it is!” Turning to her brother. “Let's go and find out!”
“Not now, Lilin!” Kougaji snapped, irritated.
“Not now?” She fumed. “Because of that, Sanzo had grown stronger and this makes it more difficult to take the Sutras from him. He has become so powerful that he could come to Tenjiku and wipe us out!”
“She's got a point,” Dokugakaji agreed. “Any more delays and soon, we'll be helpless. That Sutra is uncontrollable. I don't know what happened but it has taken over Sanzo and his friends can't do anything about it. I say it's time we go down there and do something.”
“Yeah. Let's go down and kick butt!” Lilin cheered.
“No!” Dokugakaji almost felt like hitting her on the head. “The aim is not to fight them…”
“But to help them?” Kougaji ended. “And why should we? It's their problem.”
 
“And ours as well,” Yaone interrupted, feeling rather bold. Kougaji was aghast. “Kougaji, this whole thing was started because Gyokumen Koshu wants to revive Gyumao. Ever since then, numerous lives of both humans and demons are lost. Sanzo was sent by the gods to stop the revival and Gyokumen Koshu has been sending tons of demons to their deaths for nothing. Just now, we have seen a possessed Sanzo wiping out more of us. Can't you see? If we don't do anything, we'll be wiped out. There will nothing of us left!”
 
 
“That's right!” Dokugakaji joined her. “Come on, Kou. All of us know that vixen doesn't care about anything except herself. If it takes the whole demon population to reach her goal, she will do it! Kou. This whole thing is not about getting Sutras or defeating Sanzo's party or the gods. This is about maintaining our survival to live so that future generations will be able to live in peace.  For that to occur, we need to live! We need to survive!”
 
Taking a breath, Yaone & Dokugakaji looked at Kougaji. They could sense their words thawing into him. Lilin, too, was staring at him. Then, Kougaji gave a surrendering sigh and stood up.
 
“What the hell. Fine, we'll help them.”
“Way to go, Niisan!” Lilin applauded and hugged him.
“But just this once! You hear me?” Kougaji bellowed.
 
 
On wooden stools, Hakkai and Goku sat beside the badly ill Sanzo. For the past few days, they were attending to Sanzo the best they could. The bullet had penetrated through the left shoulder, barely missing the heart but produced enough damage in terms of blood loss and a debilitating fever. His whole body was hot and dry. At times, he would shiver under the ravaging fever. His breath was swallow and each one was like his last, zapping the every life out of him. He could moan and murmur as his eyes rolled, drifting in and out of reality. Nevertheless, they could hear only five audible words - get out of my mind.
Even in this devastating condition, the three demon spirits were unwilling to release their prisoner. Sanzo might be able to resist them but that thought was rather doubtful. He had given in to the power of the Sutra, to the influence of the demons' bloodlust. How much could he resist before fully submitting to them? Hakkai looked at Goku. He had curling himself up, his chin tucked between his knees. Hakkai knew how Goku was feeling. In fact, he was feeling the same thing too. Helpless. The very same helplessness when he couldn't save Kana.
In spite of that, a small spark of hope burned deeply in him. Like Gojyo said, as long as Sanzo was still alive, there was a chance of saving him. Pressing the negative thoughts away, Hakkai thought of the demon spirits. Surely, they must have a weakness. Everybody does. The symbols he saw at the chamber could provide him with some clues. If he could go to the town's library for a moment…
 
A knock on the door shattered his minds, looking up, he saw Gojyo with four-cloaked figures standing behind him. Once the door was closed and bolted, the 4 figures removed their hoods.
 
“Kougaji!” Goku gasped. “Yaone! Dokugakaji! Lilin!” His eyes questioned Gojyo.
“Relax,” Gojyo lit a cigarette. “They are here to help.”
“Help?” Hakkai was indeed surprised.
 
“Just for this time only!” Kougaji scowled, feeling highly uncomfortable.
“Ne…” Lilin interrupted, rushing up to Goku. “How's the monk? Is he alright?”
“Well…” Sadness clouded Goku's eyes. “He's very weak with the fever burning.”
“Here,” Yaone brought out a first-aid kit. “Let me examine him.”
“Thank you…” Hakkai blurted. “Sorry for the inconvenience caused.”
 
“Be careful, little missy,” Gojyo grinned. “This monk doesn't like being touched.”
“Typical,” Dokugakaji commented. “I'm surprised the bullet manage to hit him.”
“Why shouldn't it? These bullets have their own dharma powder. Surely, they are able to pass through the Sutra's energy barrier.”
“You sound as if you enjoyed shooting him.”
“Hey,” Gojyo winked. “How many times do I really get to do that?”
 
“As I was saying,” Kougaji raised his voice. “The 3 emblems you found back at the stone chamber represent three of Gyumao' best warriors before Nataku Taishi killed them. All three have severe bloodlust that they had to kill each day to satisfy themselves. The first, Cohebi, a demon cobra spirit lures its victims by hissing endlessly in their minds, drawing to wherever he pleased.”
 
“So, he is the one who made Sanzo come to the stone chamber,” said Goku.
 
“Yes,” Kougaji continued. “The second, Souslas, a bear demon. His favourite method is to manipulate people by looking into their past, trying to dig out any dark secrets to make lose focus. The last one,” Pausing. “Strengthens the evil in a person and make him obsessive so much that he loses himself. Everyone calls him the Shade because no one knows how he looks like and he's always in the bodies of his victims. I've already given you the information you need. It's up to you now.”
 
“Interesting,” Hakkai stared out of the window. “Gojyo, I was thinking over the ink and water theory. Initially, I took the Sutra as the `water' and the demons as the `ink' but after the fight, I realize I should place the Sutra as the `ink' and the demons as the `water'. In addition, one more important thing - the brush and Sanzo is the `brush'.”
 
“Gojyo, what's Hakkai talking about? Ink and water? Brush?”
“Shut up, monkey! You are interrupting!” Gojyo brushed Goku aside. “Yeah go on.”
 
“Logically, the Sutras are created by the gods and thus, it shouldn't be overpowered by demon blood or spirits so easily. Initially, based on the oldster's words, I thought the Sutra combined itself with the demons and I was wrong! There was never a combining! The Sutra actually absorbed the demons! Think about the ink, the ink literally absorbs the water in order to get its smooth flowing characteristic from the water. However, if the ink absorbs too much water, it will be too thin & watery and it can't be used. In other words, whatever Zenzo did, he made an error in his preparations to increase the strength of the Sutra through absorption of the demons' strength. Regrettably, the Sutra not only absorbed the demons' strength but their bloodlust characteristics & abilities.”  
“Now we come to the `brush', when we write, we need to have a brush, correct? When we dip the brush into an ink mixture, the tip of the brush has changed colour, rite? The same applies here. The power of the Sutra can only be draw out through a Sanzo. Therefore, the Sutra needs to get a Sanzo in order to satisfy its bloodlust. By luring, manipulating and drawing out the dark side, the Sutra holds Sanzo in its power and at the same time, absorbing his energy & life force as well. Once a Sanzo has been used up, it'll find another. After all, what do we do with a used-up brush?”
 
“We throw it away,” Gojyo ended. “Meaning The Sutra will use up Sanzo till he's dead. Very soon because it has also absorbed the Evil Sutra's powders as well.”
 
 
“Can a Sutra really be that pernicious?” asked Dokugakaji.
“With this Sanzo's body, I, the Sutra, will get rid of the demons of this lands and purified it to the way I see fit,” Hakkai quoted, looking very grave. “That's what it said.”
“Then…” Goku's lips quivered. “How do we save Sanzo? How can we save him?”
“I'm not sure…” Hakkai answered emotionlessly. “Killing Sanzo or hiding the Sutras won't do any good. It will get itself another Sanzo or get someone who can draw out its powers. It's impossible to destroy Sutras by ourselves…”
 
 
“How do we know that?” Gojyo demanded. “That one hasn't been tried yet!” Looking at the Sutras lying harmlessly on the table. “I say we destroy the Sutra while we still can.”
“Lilin agreed,” Lilin held her hand high up.”
“Fools!” Kougaji shook his head. “It doesn't mean the Sutra is completely helpless with its Sanzo. I bet it's having barrier to protect itself.”
“Well,” Gojyo held his weapon. “We won't know till we tried.” Swiftly, he strikes. Barely touching it, the Sutra released an amethyst aura, hammering Gojyo to the wall.
 
 
“Gojyo!” Goku rushed over. “Are you alright?”
“Yeah…” Rubbing his aching head. “That was some blow.”
“Enough to awake your senses, “ chided Dokugakaji. “Red haired simpleton.”
“What was that?” Gojyo glared at him menacingly.
 
 
“Worthless maggots!” boomed a voice. Yaone screamed in fright.
 
“Yaone, get away!” Kougaji pulled her aside.
“Yes, Yanoe. Don't get too close to me,” the possessed Sanzo sat upright, his face stony and ashen. Hakkai frowned. The voice was different from the other two.  It was neither the hissing nor the empty chilly voice. The voice was compelling and commanding, sending shivers down everybody's spine.
 
 
“What's the matter?” Sanzo mocked, his violet eyes turned white. Automatically, the Sutras suspended itself, unroll and wrapped itself around Sanzo's shoulders. Amethyst light emitted once more. “Surprise to see me awake so soon?”
“You bastard!” Goku yelled. “Return Sanzo to us!”
“Sanzo?” Sanzo scorned. “He's no longer existed. I'm the Sutra! Address me by that title!”
“Don't get so cocky, you freak!” Lilin shouted, her hands on her hips. “We'll beat you up to a pulp before you can count three!”
 
“A demon,” Sanzo grinned. “To save your Sanzo, you sought help from demons. Not just ordinary demons. Prince Kougaji, the son of Gyumao, Lilin, his stepsister, Yaone, an expert in medicine & explosives and lastly, Dokugakaji, the half-brother of Sha Gojyo. How desperate you three must be.”
“Everyone,” Hakkai opened the window. “Get outside. We'll be more advantageous this way.”
 
 
Everyone followed and jumped out of the window. Sanzo stood there, watching the group proceeding on the outer rims of town. What fools! He, the Sutra, had the powers to overthrow Heavens into the abyss of Hades. As powers of the Sutra surged though him, his memories of his past and present were washed away, drawing him to fulfill another bloodlust.
 
“Yes…” Sanzo responded to the dark thoughts. “Kill them… kill them all.” Rising his hands, he allowed the amethyst light to engulf him.
 
 
“Where are we running to?” Gojyo snapped. His head was still throbbing from the blow.
“Well…” Hakkai stopped and surveyed the area. “At least, we are at someplace where innocent passer-by can't get hurt.”
 
“Jeez!” Lilin complained. “We should fight instead of running away.”
“Easier said than done,” Yaone caught her breath. “What methods can we use?”
“Like we always do,” Goku replied sternly. “With our fists.”
“Oh please…” Dokugakaji retorted. “Like it's going to work!”
“I don't care how. I want to free Sanzo! I want to bring him back! I want to lose him!” Goku turned away. His fingers dug into his palms. “He freed me at Mt.Gogyo and gave me the freedom I never had! If I don't save him in time, he'll die and I'll never forgive myself!”
“Idiot!” Lilin snapped. “What can we save him if we don't know how?”
“Enough!” Kougaji silenced her, glancing at the downcast Goku. “There might be a way but I'm not sure if it could work. It's risky but worth trying. Maybe we can lure Sanzo to come to stone chamber where the whole thing was started.”
 
“And what do we do there, then?” Yaone asked.
 
“I'll use the triangular formation that Zenzo Sanzo created as some kind of a portal to draw out the demon spirits. Hakkai, your theory is very intriguing but I disagreed the Sutra absorbed the demon spirits fully. These are two antagonizing forces that can never be one. I believe the demon spirits possessed any Sanzo and made him to use the Sutras as they pleased. Besides, humans are much more accessible than Sutras.”
 
“Then, if the demons spirits are the culprits, then why are they killing your kind instead of humans? Besides, humans are much easily preys than their kind.” Gojyo remarked.
“Enough arguing,” Goku cut in. “I don't care who is possessing Sanzo. What's most important is that we save Sanzo together!” Pleading at the two. “Just work together for once, please?”
“Goku is right,” Hakkai agreed. “If all the demons died, then mostly, humans are the next targets. Kougaji, I believe you are suggesting doing some sort of an exorcism. What do you need to accomplish this?”
 
“We need to draw out the formation again with some demon blood,” Hastily continuing. “To complete the formation, I need you and Yaone to help me. The rest will just have to buy us some time to finish it and then, lure him into the middle of the formation. I'll do the rest. However…”
 
“However what?” Goku questioned, feeling a lump in this throat.
 
“There is no absolute outcome of this exorcism. He might live or die,” His earrings shook ferociously as he turned away. “You'll have to accept it in the end.”
 
“Fine.” Goku replied forcefully. “At least it's better than nothing.”
“Agreed,” Gojyo pat Goku on the head. “Anyway, Sanzo would want this way. He would rather fight to death than to be killed pathetically.”
“Yosh!” Dokukagaji held out his hand. “Then, let's do it.”
“Right on!” Gojyo joined him.
“Un!” Lilin placed her hand over his.  
“It's going to be one exciting battle.” Hakkai followed.
“Be careful, everyone,” said Yaone.
“Only for this time!” Kougaji hurriedly blurted out, looking at Goku. “Well?”
 
“Yes!” Goku finally placed his hand, smiling from ear to ear.
 
 
To be continued