Saiyuki Reload Fan Fiction ❯ The Sutra ❯ Chapter 8 ( Chapter 8 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

The Sutra - Chapter 8
 
Unknown to them, Genjo Sanzo was not fully taken over by the Sutra as he was still wresting with the thoughts swirling in his head, fighting against with every breath he had left. The voice of the Sutra called out to him, chanting over and over that he was one with it and destined to accomplish the tasks set for him. In spite of the dizziness, there was a small significant inner voice screaming to him to stop. He didn't know who it was but he knew that voice was his lifeline. The last line could keep his sanity intact.
The voice continued to its torment. Throwing back his head, he screamed in anguish as he was spun around like leaves in a typhoon, exploding like an uncontrollable flood of heat and stripped naked to the crude soul of his existence.
 
I have been waiting for you since you were born. Genjo, your birth was never meant to be a mortal one. I awaken as soon as you made your first cry to this ugly sinful world. After years of endless yearning, you and I are supreme in mind, body and spirit. This is the destiny you have fulfilled with this earthly shell. Our union will make the gods weep because they know that their ending is drawing near. They are as filthy as any human or demon, this, they know well…
Understand your existence as well as mine. I, the Sutra of Heaven & Earth, am created to cross the worlds untouched by men and gods. I exist before the creation of man, before the fall of angels. I am created because of the desire to be powerful than the others. I am the knowledge, skills and the magic that you have tasted. I am the power to all who wants me. Yet, those who created me, fear, despised and scorn me because I am beyond their comprehension. In their jealousy, they split me up into five parchments.
Those fools will never understand that I will always be the power! The element of existence! With you by my side, I will show them my true being. What you have experienced is a speck of what I am. Worthless bald men called upon my power for mere petty things. Till Zenzo came and liberate me and did not I reward him richly? Alas! His death was untimely! But you, you are different from him! You are bestowed with the innate talent by the gods! When I was united with my other fifth, you made me stronger and you summoned me to destroy the Evil that plagues this land! You summon me to make your enemies trembled and groveled at your feet for mercy! To free me is to free yourself!
We are one, Genjo Sanzo, a perfect molecule of purity. Your flesh will rot away but your pure soul is enough for me! A soul of a fallen god within mortal flesh interlinking with mine within mortal paper! See how flawless we are as one! Say it Genjo Sanzo! Say it what it is needed to make us sovereign over the boundaries of this universe!
 
“NEVER!!!” Sanzo shrieked. The surrounding trees exploded into splinters, bark and pulp, the leaves ripped apart, the roots uprooted themselves and the soil thrown over so violently that the dust clouds rose up to the blue skies. Dusty and sweat-streaked, Sanzo knelt with his arms with his arms hugging over his chest. His breaths were low and shallow, convulsing with pain.
  
“Sanzo! Sanzo! Sanzo!” Goku yelled, hopping from one place to another. “Where are you?”
“Yeah! Come out and show yourself, corrupt monk!” Gojyo shouted.
“Droopy eyes! Blondie!” Lilin sang. “Blondie! Droopy eyes! Come out to play!”
“You three are really enjoying this, aren't you?” Dokugakaji sighed. “Huh?” He noticed clouds of dust in the skies. “Hey guys, to the woods!”
 
“Wait up! Don't steal all the fun!” Lilin protested.
“Then, hurry up, slowcoach!” Goku teased.
“At least, she's responding better than you, monkey!”
“What's that? Red Kappa!”
“Dokugakaji!!!!” Lilin screamed. “Wait…. Hummph…”
“Hush!” Dokugakaji clamped her mouth as he pushed her down to the undergrowth. “There he is!”
 
Sure enough, through the thin spaces of the undergrowth, the four could see Sanzo kneeling down, his arms hugging his chest. Goku was shocked as he watched Sanzo dematerializing and materializing, his features, colours draining away into some distorted apparition. The amethyst light around him was glowing brighter, steadily absorbing him.   
 
“Sanzo!” Goku cried, rushing forward.
“Goku!” Gojyo tried to grab him but Dokugakaji held him back.
“Let him,” he mouthed.
 
“Sanzo?” Goku called again, his voice faltering.
 
Though wrapped in the Sutra's power, Sanzo was barely conscious enough to notice someone standing in front of him. He called to him, a voice so familiar that he fought to gain memories of it. He could see vague features, bright golden eyes sparkling with life, the tanned skin and the brown hair. The child-like smile. For a second, he could remember him.
 
“Goku…” Sanzo uttered, fighting against the Sutra's power as it tried to tighten, drawing him back to unknown abyss. Its heat was flooding though him, washing away all recognition of who he was and all those he known, emptying him to the state of nonexistence.
“Sanzo?” He reached out his hands to touch him. To his horror, his hands went past through Sanzo. He was there and yet, he wasn't. “Sanzo?” Goku panicked, his hands tried to touch some psychical part of Sanzo but he couldn't.
“Goku…” Sanzo feebly whispered. “Run… run while you still can…”
“Sanzo?”
“Run, you stupid monkey!” Suddenly, his voice changed to the sound of running waters. “Yes, heretic! Run while you are given the chance. You have meddled in my affairs long enough. I, the Sutra, will kill you and all your friends!”
 
 
“Time to run, monkey!” Gojyo hollered, grabbed him and leading him away. Lilin and Dokugakaji tailing closely behind.
 
The four ran, increasing their pace as they dashed through another stretch of the forest, brushing aside the branches that slapped onto their faces, arms and legs. Then, they heard an animal-like scream. It swept past them so rapidly that it caught them and threw them onto the muddy ground like they were twigs. Gojyo cursed and forced himself to get up. Dokugakaji was already ahead of him holding Lilin in his arms. A thick ruby stream of blood was flowing down her face. Goku crawled back to his feet, breathing unevenly. They turned around and saw Sanzo approaching them. His face was distraught in the possessive bloodlust of the Sutra.
 
“Dokugakaji,” Gojyo quickly said. “Take Lilin to safety. Let us take over.”
“Sorry,” Dokugakaji nodded and hastily ran off. “Take care of yourselves.”
“Yeah,'” Gojyo grinned rebelliously. “Here! Shady monk! Come and get me! Get moving, Goku! We have to get him to the stone chamber!”
 
No sooner he said, energy balls were heading towards them, billowing huge dirt clouds throughout the forest. Gojyo and Goku dodged, evaded, further angering Sanzo to fire more. Using the clouds of dirt as smokescreens, the two slipped into them and reappeared for a brief moment when the clouds cleared. The plan worked and Sanzo was chasing them persistently. Passing through the leafy barriers, they were temporarily relieved to see the tiny wooden shrine. Suddenly, another energy ball shot out; hammering them to the ground as deeply that darkness swallowed them whole. The two felt the tons of soil and mineral rocks scratching against their skin before they landed hard on something cold and hard. Sprawled out and covered in soil, the two coughed heavily as they felt someone pulling them up.
 
“Gojyo! Goku! Daijoubu ka?” Hakkai brushed the dirt off his friends. They were badly bruised and battered, gulping in mouthfuls of air.
“Yeah…” Gojyo was the first to answer, catching between breaths. “What the hell happened?”
“We should be the ones asking you that!” Hakkai replied. “We just finished the formation when you two came crashing in!”
“Lilin? Dokugakaji?” Yaone questioned. “Where are they?”
“They are fine. Just hiding someplace safe.” He shook off the bits of soil in his hair. “Jeez!” He half-stared at a newly made tunnel a few feet away from him. “Is that how I came in?”
“Where's Sanzo?” Kougaji asked, curling his fingers in a fist. “If he hurt Lilin, I'll…”
 
“Do what, Son of Gyumao?” the possessed Sanzo spoke from behind. Everybody spin at him. Grinning wolfishly, he continued. “So, this is here you want to come. The place of my awakening. What can you possibly accomplish here?”
 
“This!” Kougaji pressed his hands together and chanted. Three circular spots began to shimmer in amber, tawny and indigo colours, enclosing Sanzo in one triangular formation. The chamber lit up, escalating the lights even more.
 
“So, you are trying to use the formation that Zenzo Sanzo used?” Arrogant flaunted over him. “Do you think that will stop me?” Smiling maliciously, he stretched forth his hand. Scarcely touching the surface, electric sparks flew, penetrating through his defense shield, rushing in to tear him apart. The three colours ascended into a pyramid formation. From its midpoint, beamed down a white light, pinning Sanzo down to the stony floor.
 
“In case you didn't know, I'm versed in the ways of sorcery. By using this formation, I'll be able to do some exorcism on you.” Kougaji smiled with contempt. “In order for the exorcism to work, I activate the 3 emblems based on the similar characteristics of the 3 demons. Cohebi was a female demon with intensive knowledge on medicines & poison. Souslas was rumoured to be a human originally. Lastly, Shade was said to be Gyumao's son. Like Zenzo, I used demon blood as well.”
 
“I see. The blood was from you, Yaone and Hakkai. Clever boy. However,” Sanzo regard with a lofty expression. “This will not stop me!!!” Standing up, the amethyst light enlarged itself, counter reacting with the electric sparks, shades of white and amethyst flashed one after another. Kougaji closed his eyes and concentrated, his brows furrowed deeply. The Sutra was right, it was more powerful than him and he was like standing on the edge of arroyo.
 
“Kougaji…” Yaone stood, her hands gasped on each other tightly.
“This is not good,” Gojyo watched, his eyes narrowed. “The Sutra is too strong for him.”
“Yes,” Hakkai was grim. “If this keeps up, Kougaji might get blown away.”
 
“Then, what can we do?” Goku asked, grinding his teeth. “What can we do?” He shook his head. “I can't stand here watching. I have to do something!” Without thinking, he leaped into the formation, forcing himself through the electric rampart. He then threw himself over Sanzo. Surprisingly, his hands did not go through Sanzo as they did before. With renewed energy, Goku slammed Sanzo to the ground, throwing his full weight upon him. Angered at this unexpected attack, Sanzo thrashed, lashing out the Sutra's power at him blindly. Once and twice, it hit Goku, thrusting him off but Goku refused to surrender and kept on holding on to him. Each time he held on to him, he felt bits and pieces of Sanzo returning to him.
 
“Hurry, Kougaji!” He screamed. “It's working!”
“Goku!” Hakkai yelled. “You must get out! You are endangering yourself.”
“I don't care! As long as it takes to bring Sanzo back, I'll hold on to him!”
“Idiot! You will kill yourself!” Gojyo was glazed with shock.
“It doesn't matter,” Goku's face winced. “As long as it takes to bring Sanzo back, I am willing to give up my life for him.”
“Goku!” Gojyo cursed beneath his breath. “Hell! I hope all this trouble is worth it.”
“Gojyo!” Hakkai's eyes widen with alarm as Gojyo leaped into the formation. “Not you too!”
 
“Hey! I'm not going to let monkey take all the credit!” Gojyo smiled jauntily. “Move aside. I'll let his legs, you take his arms, that way, and he won't be able to fight much!!!!”
 
“Get off of me!!!!” Sanzo thundered. “I'll kill you all!!!”
“Well at least it sounds like Sanzo,” Gojyo mocked as Sanzo kicked wildly. “Hurry up, Kougaji!”
 
Hakkai darted his eyes from Kougaji to his friends. No doubt, the Sutra was getting the upper hand. Gojyo and Goku were still weakened by the previous battles and Kougaji was giving way to the strain of prolonged usage of his own demon sorcery. They were becoming exhausted and had no backup power of the Sutra to sustain them, as did Sanzo. Taking in a deep breath, he leaped into the formation, ignoring the stinging pain of the electric sparks.
 
“What are you doing?” Yaone screamed, heightened by fear. “You will be killed.” Turning back to Kougaji, he was still chanting. She looked back and saw all the coloured lights were all mixing and churning in confusion around the foursome. An instant later, in one explosive blast, the lights flared all about the stone chamber, blinding everyone. Seconds later, when Yaone and Kougaji looked back, they saw no one but themselves, in a charred stone chamber.
 
 
When Hakkai, Gojyo and Goku came to their senses, they found themselves in unknown place where darkness covered them like a shroud. Blinking a few times, a thin beam of light fell upon them. Then, they heard crying not far away. The beam moved and lengthened itself to a young man. A fair man with golden hair and pure violet eyes, dressed in monk robes. He was crying. His eyes spoke of a haunting inner pain. In his small hands, he was holding a Sutra. It was covered in blood.
 
“Is that Sanzo?” Gojyo mumbled.
“Sanzo?” Goku called out, his voice was trembling.
“Sanzo?” Hakkai took a step closer. “Can you hear us?”
 
“They killed him,” Sanzo wept, his body shook. “They killed him.”
“Who killed who?” Hakkai asked, going closer.
“Demons,” He replied bitterly. “Demons killed him. I couldn't save him.” Looking up, the wounded look in his eyes darkened.  “I was weak.” He shifted his eyes to the bloody Sutra. “But with this, I can get rid of all the demons in this sinful world and purified it to way I see fit!”
 
Suddenly, he looked venomously at the trio, “Going to the West has allowed me to exterminate those demons. To find this Sutra is part of my destiny.”
 
Then, the Voice of the Sutra whispered from above, interchanging from hissing, the empty chilling voice to the sound of flooding waters. Once again, the amethyst light emitted from Sanzo.
 
Yes, Genjo Sanzo. Take what it is yours. I am giving you the same chance as I did years ago. Use me in the ways you never used before. You hold the divine powers that no one has tried before. You can unlock the secrets and unleash them in so many ways beyond your imagination. Think of what you can do it with the powers I give to you, Genjo Sanzo. You hold the gift of Life and Death upon your hands. Say it and it will be done!
 
“Shut the hell up!” Goku bellowed. “No one has the right to choose Life and Death over others!”
 
You are richly blessed in all those who lacked. You have the strength, the willpower to do as you pleased. You can rewrite history and mould the past, present and future to your satisfaction. Unite with me. Say you are I.  It is what I have longed for. This is what both of us are meant to be.”
 
“Humph!” Gojyo smirked. “The world will be a damn boring place if we have to go back to the past again and again. The present is already fine as it is. The future? Hey, please don't spoil the excitement for me. It's not fun if you know too much.”
 
Knowledge is power! It is pass on to you, Genjo Sanzo. With it, you can surpass any mortal creature or even the gods themselves. With it, you can able to do the things you dreamed of.  Genjo Sanzo. Think of the demons that killed your mentor, your father. Be one with me and together, we can address this wrong! We can purge the world from demons! Isn't this the duty of a Sanzo? 
 
“Even if you can kill all the demons, you can't bring back the dead no matter how you dream or wish for,” Hakkai said frankly. “You can offer all the knowledge and power to Sanzo but you can't offer him peace, happiness and friends who cared and loved him for what he is.  Your so-called gifts are the elements of destruction!”
 
Turn a deaf ear to them, Genjo Sanzo. These demons do not wish to be your friends. They are only your companions as instructed by the goddess of Mercy. They do not care about Gyumao but only to seek the opportunity to kill you. Demons are bloodthirsty barbarians, leftovers of fallen angels! Destroy them! Genjo Sanzo! Kill them all!  When you are done, unite with me! Be one with me! Don't deny your destiny!
 
“The only bloodthirsty barbarian I see is you!”
“Who wants to kill a corrupt monk like him? He's not my type!”
“If you are so almighty, then why do you need Sanzo so badly?”
 
The trio focused their eyes onto Sanzo. He was trembling all over like a newborn tree in the howling wind. His lips were quivering, beads of sweat clustered around his temples as his hands gripped the bloody Sutra tightly. Hakkai smiled and continued.
 
“Sanzo. You don't the Sutra to be all-powerful and mighty. You said before that true strength comes from within from your mind and soul. Isn't it so?”
“That's right.” Gojyo added on. “Like you told me before that red is not always the colour of blood. Then, what you shouldn't always see blood as Death. To see and smell blood and to feel the pains are the signs that you are still alive.”
“Sanzo,” Goku went closer and wrapped his arms around him. “Please come back! Please wake up. I need you, Sanzo. I need you to be yourself again. I need you to scold me, stupid monkey and hit me with his white fan. I need the Sanzo who found me at Mt. Gogyo.” Tears brimmed under his eyelids. “Please. Please come back to me!”
 
No! They aren't real! Only illusions brought here to trick you, to divert your! You must not waver from the Destiny chosen for you! Join me! Be one with me!
 
 
 
Confusion swept Sanzo all over, knocking him about. He could feel their voices and arms holding him close. The arms of the flesh and blood, warm and alive, were holding him tightly. Hakkai, Gojyo & Goku were actually before him, calling out to him in the fathom of darkness. They were real, not imagined but living beings. Once again, he heard them speaking to him. With each rhythm of their voices, images flashed out before him. Not in shattered bits but in a smooth steady flowing way of the memory lane. The day he met Goku on Mt. Gogyo. A lanky brown-haired lad chained away in the rocky prison, with no remembrances of his early days. Pure innocence lit up his golden eyes and a smile so heart warming that melted the ice in his heart. The chaste expression of joy and gratitude when he opened his arms and took him in the world of freedom. And ever since, Goku never failed to be by his side at all times…
Next, his first encounter with Gojyo, a victim of his mixed blood between human and demon. The way he resented at the mentioning of his red hair and eyes. They first started on the wrong foot and fought with each other man to man. The annoying pestering way he teased him about his conduct as a monk as he flirtatiously smoked his cheapskate cigarette. How seductive he sounded whenever his eyes spot a beautiful bargirl. Despite his flaws, his friendship was truly genuine…
Lastly, Hakkai, the one the three Buddhas had summoned him to bring back to Changan Temple for his crimes. Naturally, he wasn't bothered by it and was more than willing to let him go. After all, it was the demons that ruined his life like they did with his. Those silent green eyes that spoke of the enormous unbearable anguish he had to carry for with the rest of his life. The fixed smile he put on each day to hide his sorrow. And yet, he cared for everyone like they were his own blood. He was a friend, confiner, protector, supporter…
          < /font>
What are you doing? Destroy them! Kill them! You are mine! You are one with me! You are the Sutra!
 
One by one, Sanzo could feel wisps of himself returning, making himself whole and alive. All of his memories of Hakkai, Gojyo and Goku were returning to him within an instant. Everything about them, everything he had been through with them. Their warmth, their care, their friendship, their reassurance to him that he was still Genjo Sanzo, charged by the goddess of Mercy to embark on the journey to the West. Everything that had been so ruthlessly taken from him was being restored to him. Gradually, he felt his own dharma powers surfacing through him. There was no bloodlust, nothing diabolic. Just the comforting warmth, like the tender kindness that Kyomo Sanzo had given him till the day he died. The ties of the Sutra's dark power that was bounding him close began to loosen, setting him free.
 
The voice of the Sutra was becoming frantic and was screaming in fear.
 
Don't let go of me! Don't release me! 
 
Something long and leathery was materializing upon his slim shoulders, shining in golden lights, as golden as the morning sunlight. It was his own Sutras, as given by the elders in Changan Temple. Its light overpowering the other Sutra's amethyst light. The Sutra was panicking and it should be. The Sutra had claimed that he would be the master of the power but it had lied. It never intended to give any of its powers, only to make him its slave to destroy and set chaos to the lands and in the process, his own self-destruction. His fingers loosened themselves on the bloody Sutra.
 
What are you doing? No! Don't, Genjo Sanzo! You need me! You need me!
 
“No. It is you who need me,” He threw the Sutra high up in the air. While it was still suspended in mid-air, he took out his gun. “But I don't need you.”
 
Pressing the trigger, the bullet shot out of the gun barrel and struck the Sutra with such stunning force that it shattered apart. Then, using his own Sutras, Sanzo sent it out so hard and quick that it caught the remnants of the dark Sutra and turned it into dust as the dark Sutra wailed its last cries of defeat. Instantaneously, Hakkai, Gojyo and Goku faded away, astonishing Sanzo. Were they actually illusions? But he could have sworn they were with him. They were so real…
Abruptly, waves of fatigue swirled around him, tiring him rapidly than he thought. His Sutras started to glow; filling him with the welcoming senses of the world he belonged. Worn out and weary, he closed his eyes and succumbed to its golden light.     
 
To be continued… final chapter…