Saiyuki Reload Fan Fiction ❯ The Sutra ❯ Chapter 9 (Final) ( Chapter 9 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

The Sutra - Chapter 9 
 
In the western land of Tenjiku, a land where darkness & solitude reigned stood Botou Castle, the last dominating fortress for the demons living in Tengenkyou or what is left of them. Tamizu's stupidity had cost a great deal for the army forces. It would take time and effect to rebuild their strength and secure stability. That didn't matter much as youngsters were easy to train. However, it would take more time to boost up their demoralized spirits. Word had spread much faster than a forest fire and now every demon was unwilling to fight against Genjo Sanzo and his group. Nobody could blame anyone for having such anxiety or being petrified at the word `Sanzo'.
Kougaji once more walked the hallway towards the throne room. Gyokumen Koshu, as usual, was sitting there. Her legs crossed and a servant was painting her nails while the other massaged her shoulders. Putting on that ever-irritating saucy tone, she accused him for failing to bring her the Sutra that chain-reacted the devastating losses. Pushing the servants aside, she demanded for an explanation for his inexcusable shortcoming.      94; Â Â Â 
So, it is his fault? Kougaji grinned rudely that took the vixen by surprise. Gaining composure, she tried to subvert, distorting the facts from fiction, directing all the responsibility to him. Kougaji was too smart to fall for such childish quibble. Turning around, he said his last word.
 
Next time, don't send two persons to do the same errand.
 
The doors closed behind him, leaving the vixen to fume and throw her frustrations at her servants. Dokugakaji was outside, waiting for him. As the two returned to their own quarters, Kougaji felt a sense of happiness in him and his lips couldn't stop curling. At last, things were going his way.
 
Who needs the Sutras anyway?
 
 
Genjo Sanzo stirred within the blankets, cursing at the gray sunlight that filtered through a narrow window next to his head, causing him to squint against its brightness. He sat up and felt rather refreshed. There was no headache and his body seemed to be in a perfectly healthy condition save for his left shoulder that was still a bit stiff and sore. Standing up, he stretched his limbs and opened the window. Looked out, the sky was blue and crystal clear as far as eye could see. Smelling in the morning air lightly scented with wild flowers, he felt revitalized.
 
A soft knock was heard and the door opened, Hakkai came in, carrying a tray of food. He was especially happy when he greeted.
 
“Morning, Sanzo.” He placed the tray onto the table. “It's so good to see you up and about.”
“Hmm,” He lazily replied. “Where are we?”
“At another town, you caused so much damage in the last town that the townspeople were too afraid to let us in. I do hope that you won't do the same here. There's shopping to be done.”
“Humph! How long was I unconscious?”
“For a week or so. The doctor said you should rest for another day or two before continuing our journey to the West. Ano… do you remember anything?”
 
“Nothing except those bothersome voices!” Sanzo took out a cigarette. “They caused me such a headache that I want to shoot them all dead. Sit down and filled me over the past days!”
 
An experienced storyteller, Hakkai told Sanzo everything from the beginning to the end, including the unexpected help from Kougaji's gang. All the while, Sanzo said nothing as he smoked his cigarettes one after another. Faint recollection propped up in his mind every now and then when Hakkai went on the part of the final confrontation with the Sutra. Just as he thought, they were there with them, to guide his lost soul back to the path.
 
“As soon as the Sutra was destroyed, we came back to the stone chamber when it started collapsing. We escaped and came here while Kougaji's gang went on their way. The end.”
 
“I see. And my Evil Sutra?”
“In the drawer…”Hakkai replied slowly, his eyes fixed on Sanzo's calm composure. “Why?”
 
“Nothing,” Puffing out a thin wisp of lavender smoke, he looked at Hakkai. “I knew that there was something wrong at very the moment the Sutra combined with mine. When I used its powers, I felt something like I never felt before. The sensation, the taste of having immortal powers… Zenzo had good intentions but he was brainless to meddle with his Sutra.”  He paused, his eyes gazing at the blue sky. “Why were the Sutras created in the first place? Why must there be five of them?”
 
“Maybe, you could ask Kanzeonbosatsu, the goddess of Mercy to answer them for you?”
“That old hag? Forget it!” Sanzo grunted. “But I have to confess something…”
“Confess?” Amusement flickered across Hakkai's lips. “About?”
“The Sutra. It was very persuasive and its powers so addictive. Its taste is like… No… was very sweet. Sickly sweet. I suppose I will never feel anything like that again.”
 
Hakkai walked over and placed his hand onto Sanzo's shoulder. With a smile, he said, “Then, just keep it as a memory that will be forgotten over time.”  
 
“Yeah…” He said quietly.
 
 
Just then, Goku and Gojyo came bursting in, interrupting Sanzo and Hakkai. 
 
“Sanzo!” Goku rushed forward, so bustling with energy. “You are awake!”
“About time, sleeping monk.” Gojyo grinned. “What's the matter? Need more beauty sleep? Anyway, I have such a wonderful time while you're sleeping.”
“Yeah, like seducing a waitress who was already engaged to someone!”
“Shut up! She deserves someone better. I gave her more pleasure than her fiancé!”
“Like you?” Goku spat. “Like real! You are uglier than her fiancé!”
“What was that, idiotic monkey?”
“I'm not a monkey, you kappa!”
“Why you…”
 
“SHUT UP THE HELL UP!!!” Sanzo yelled, hitting both Goku and Gojyo with his huge white fan. “You two are too damn noisy!”
“Sanzo…” Hakkai cautioned. “The doctor said you should rest…”
 
“Later!” Sanzo held up his gun and loaded it. “Now that you are here and still alive...” Aiming his gun at Gojyo, its surface gleamed devilishly under the sunlight.
 
 “I believe I own you a bullet.”
 
 OWARI (THE END)  ã‚ã‚ŠãŒã¨&# 227;†ã”ã–ã„ã¾ã™  Â