Saiyuki Reload Gunlock Fan Fiction ❯ Forty Days ❯ Rain Clouds ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“There we go!” Hakkai smiled, tying off the last of their supplies to Hakuryu's trunk. “We're ready!”
 
“Is that everything?” Sanzo inquired, taking a drag from his cigarette.
 
“Yep!” Hakkai replied cheerfully. “Enough supplies to last us a few weeks.”
 
“Or until the next village, with the way Goku eats,” came the grouchy tone as Sanzo shook his head. The monkey youkai had an amazing knack for making food disappeared. Taking it away or making it the floor and ruining it was a good way to raise Goku's ire and fighting spirit, a fact that had not been lost on any of them.
 
“That, too,” the green-eyed man chuckled. Sanzo then glanced to where Goyjo was apparently flirting with yet another pretty female and where Goku was staring at meat buns.
 
“We're leaving!” he shouted to them then took his usual seat before either of them could call shotgun. Hakkai climbed into the driver's seat (not that he really needed to but then, Sanzo had noted, Hakuryu seemed to behave better when Hakkai sat behind the wheel), Goyjo and Goku quickly scrambling into the back end. As they took off, Sanzo turned to stare at Goyjo. The hanyou had been rather quick to leave the young girl he'd been flirting.
 
“What?” Goyjo snapped when he noticed Sanzo staring at him.
 
“You left that girl rather fast,” the priest observed, taking another drag from his cigarette. “She married?”
 
“Huh?” the red-haired man blinked then shook his head. “Oh. Her. No . . . not married.”
 
“Boyfriend?”
 
“Nope.”
 
“Nun then?” Sanzo ventured one more time.
 
“No,” Goyjo sighed. “None of that.”
 
“Then why'd you leave her in such a hurry?” Sanzo inquired, morbid curiosity getting the better of him.
 
“No particular reason,” Goyjo shrugged, lifting his head to gaze at the sky overhead.
 
“That's hard to believe,” Hakkai chuckled good-naturedly.
 
“Believe it. Just didn't feel like pursuing it,” Goyjo murmured. “It's going to rain.”
 
Sanzo turned his head towards the sky as well, scowling when he saw the dark clouds coming in. Thunder rumbled in the distance and lightning flashed, but everything was still some distance away.
 
“Maybe it'll skip over us,” he muttered, but not keeping his hopes up. Somehow, whenever it looked like rain, it always seemed to find him. He hated the rain.