Sakura Wars Fan Fiction ❯ The Odd and the Weird ❯ The Dressing Tube: Maria ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Author's Notes:
Before Oogami came along, Maria was the commander of the Hanagumi, which is why I considered her as such in this chapter.

Disclaimer: Sakura Taisen is owned by Sega and Red Entertainment. I am not making a profit out of this fanfic, but still, this particular story is mine, so please don't take it.

----------

The Odd and the Weird

Chapter 2

"The Dressing Tube: Maria"


----------

Maria Tachibana looked at one of her companions who helped guide her around the Teigeki. Although her face didn't show it, deep inside she was actually concerned. Kanna, who started out quite energetically when the tour began, suddenly looked quite apprehensive as Kasumi and Tsubaki brought them to the last room on the second floor which they haven't visited yet.

Tsubaki noted the sweat forming on Kanna's forehead and laughed. "Kanna-san, surely you must be used to the tube by now! You've been trying to conquer it every single day for the past week since you first went in!"

"That doesn't mean I've grown used to it yet!" Kanna snapped, cracking her huge knuckles together. "That Yuri... if I ever get my hands on her..."

Kasumi smiled. "Now, now, Kanna-san. That's the reason why Yuri is still avoiding you. She has already apologized quite profusely. Besides, I think her acting as your personal assistant for the past seven days had taught her a lesson."

"Maybe, but she hasn't experienced what actually happens down there!" Kanna argued. "The dark space, the long flight down... those... ugh... cold... metallic..." Kanna paused and shuddered with the memory of her first flight down.

Maria cleared her throat. "Excuse me," she said quietly.

The others were startled, eventually remembering that they had a companion who knew nothing of what they were talking about. "I'm really sorry, Maria-san. We were just talking about a... traumatic experience Kanna-san had during her first visit here," Kasumi explained.

"You make it sound as if it had been so incredibly bad," Kanna complained, sniffing.

"But it was!" Tsubaki giggled.

The newly appointed captain of the Hanagumi just raised her eyebrows.

The group soon arrived at the hidden room with the semi-circular walls covering the tubes. "And these are?" Maria asked, looking at the metal lids covering the entrances to the tunnels with a critical eye, business-minded as usual.

"Tunnels which leads you directly to the briefing room, to be used during alerts or emergencies," Kasumi informed her.

"Your uniforms are in there, and will automatically replace your clothes as you jump down," Tsubaki pointed out, making it seem more simple than it really was.

Kanna shuddered again.

Maria inspected the metal lid convering the tunnel, before turning around to face her guides. She hadn't even bothered looking at what was beyond the lid, unlike what Kanna had done. "Is there anything like this on the first floor?" she asked.

"Yes," Kasumi said.

Kanna suddenly had a nice little vision of jumping down the chute from the first floor and not having enough "falling time" to end up fully dressed by the time they reach the briefing room. Unless those... ugh... things work even faster than before, she thought, grimacing, deciding then and there never to use the tunnels on the first floor.

Maria, however, just gave a crisp nod. Her fellow Hanagumi began to wonder if she even heard what Tsubaki had said about the tubes "automatically replacing their clothes".

"Who was it that had thought of these devices?" Maria asked as they began to walk out of the hidden room.

"(1)Yoneda-shihainin did," Tsubaki answered.

"Yoneda-shihainin..." Maria muttered. Then, as if realizing something, she looked inquiringly at her companions. "Where is (2)Yoneda-chujo anyway? I haven't seen him yet, and I had been expecting that I would be seeing him first."

"He's at the basement, at the briefing room, waiting for you," Kasumi said. "We'll be joining him shortly, after we've finished touring the basement."

Maria moved closer to the lid bearing her name and placed a gloved hand upon it. "You say this leads to the briefing room?"

"Yes, but-"

Much to Tsubaki, Kasumi, and Kanna's surprise, Maria opened the lid and jumped in without hesitation.

"Oh, jeez!!" Kanna exclaimed, shocked, looking down at the chasm from which she had entered. Worried about the possible mental state of her commander as she haven't been given ample warning of what she would encounter within the tube (Kanna herself felt as if she would be scarred for life because of that tunnel), she gathered her courage and jumped into her own hole in an effort to get to Maria as quickly as she could.

Kanna soon discovered that her worries actually took her attention off the various metal hands which took off her clothes and outfitted her with her uniform (which had scared her quite nicely during her first try). In a few seconds, her eyes saw the opening to the briefing room, and she popped out of the hole, this time landing neatly on the floor.

"Kanna! Nice to see that you're finally getting used to the dressing tube!" Yoneda said, grinning at her. He was standing near the briefing table with Maria standing right beside him, holding a gun in her hand.

"Maria! Are you okay?!" Kanna asked concernedly, completely ignoring Yoneda.

Maria gave her a questioning gaze. "Of course I am. Why wouldn't I be?"

"It's just that you just jumped, and I haven't even had the chance to tell you about those damn metal thingies, and... wait a sec, did you just use your gun?!"

The Russian - who had just opened the barrel of her gun to release the empty shells within it - raised an eyebrow at Kanna. "Yes. Why?"

"What the heck did you use it for? And... and... how come you're not in uniform?!"

"Come to think of it..." Yoneda said, finally noticing that Maria was wearing a thick coat and gloves instead of having clothes similar to Kanna's. "Why aren't you in uniform?"

Kanna's eyes widened as the possibility of what the Hanagumi commander had done dawned upon her. "You couldn't have..."

She rushed towards the empty portrait where Maria should have appeared earlier and forced it up. The tunnel opened, and various machine parts which looked suspiciously like parts of several metal hands fell to the floor.

Kanna and Yoneda could only stare speechless at the bullet-ridden machines as Maria holstered her weapon. "Chujo? If we may please continue my briefing?" she said, turning around so that they wouldn't see the redness that was creeping up her cheeks.

"Uhh... yes, right, your briefing..." Yoneda said, flustered.

A huge grin found itself on Kanna's face. Well, what do you know? I like her already!

--Tsuzuki--

----------

St ory Notes:
(1) - Manager Yoneda
(2) - Lieutenant General Yoneda