Samurai Deeper Kyo Fan Fiction ❯ Our Endless Numbered Days ❯ Musing on the Past ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

It had been ten years since Kyo had defeated Nobunaga.
 
Ten years since Yuya had seen any of her friends.
 
Since she had lost the love of her life.
 
Yuya had run to the battle site after assuring Megeria that she loved Kyo and Kyoshiro equally, no matter the victor. What a lie that had been. She may have had some feelings for Kyoshiro, perhaps because he was essentially Kyo. They were one and the same after all. But, in the same sense they were two different people entirely. Different people with different minds...and different hearts.
 
Kyoshiro had loved Lady Sakuya, whereas...Kyo...
 
`Stop it.' Thought Yuya as she strolled down the road. She didn't like to think about Kyo, it just brought back the pain.
 
`But, I can't just dismiss him...I love him...'
 
Yuya had fully embraced her feelings for Kyo. Months of deep meditation and training had resulted in the realization of many things.
 
For ten years she had studied. Studied martial arts and sword technique, no...Not technique...but becoming one with her weapon. This required hours of meditation and study.
 
She had realized that although her bullets were effective when she was hunting humans, she needed something stronger to protect herself against the wave of Kenyo spreading across the land. Knowing how to defend herself with such weapons also made her feel closer to Kyo...even now.
 
On that day, that day where she lost the only man she ever trusted and loved since the death of her brother, she made the decision that would shape her life.
 
As she stood beside the battleground, tears flowing down her cheeks, she knew she would never love again.
 
Yuya shook her head; she needed to stop thinking about this. It wasn't healthy to dwell on the past. She needed to move on, think of better things...such as if she didn't find a village soon, she was going to starve.
 
Yuya didn't fret, she had a little bit of food left in her pack, and she knew how to fend for herself. Kyoshiro had given her his medicine pack as a parting gift, Benitora his bandanna, and Yukimura had given her Kyo's sword. The Muramasa now hung on her hip, the medicine pack on her back, and the bandanna upon her head.
 
`I should go visit Yukimura...He always makes me feel better.' thought Yuya, who was saddened by thoughts of her parting with Kyo.
 
Yuya took a sharp left, instead of going straight toward the village she had originally intended. It wouldn't take too long to get to Yukimura's home, only an eight or nine hours, so she should get there by nightfall if everything went as planned.
 
But then again, in this world filled with Kenyo, how often did things go right?
 
As she walked to Yukimura's home, she thought.
 
Yukimura had become like a sister, Sasuke like a son, and Saizo like a nagging mother. She was always welcome in the kingdom of the Sanada. She even had her own bedroom set up for her. It's always nice to have a home she didn't have to pay for.
 
Yukimura always good for helping and comforting her when she was thinking of Kyo, or for sparring with to test their skills. Yuya was about up to the fighting caliber of Yukimura and she loved to practice her art. Sasuke was fun to climb trees with and play pranks on Saizo, when she was with him she felt like a kid again, it was wonderful. Saizo was like a nagging mother; he always told her and Sasuke that if they didn't stop their constant pranks on him, that he would tell Yukimura. Little did he know, that Yukimura was frequently in on said pranks.
 
Thinking about her friends, or dare she say, family brought a smile to her face.
 
The night was approaching and she still had six more hours of ground to cover. She sighed, and kept walking...
 
Her eyes suddenly flicked up and the Muramasa was drawn quickly. Her eyes scanned the surrounding area. Then, from the bushes, a large Kenyo appeared.
 
Back in the day, Yuya had never understood why Kyo and Yukimura loved violence so much, but now that she was older and more powerful...the blood lust had consumed her as well.
 
Yuya smirked and muttered a few words as she drew her fingers across the blade. The Kenyo began to approach, until it heard Yuya speak.
 
“You heard it too didn't you? The voice of the wind.”
 
And with that, the Kenyo fell to the ground in pieces, demolished.
 
“Well, that was some fancy work.” Said a taunting voice behind Yuya.
 
She whirled around preparing to defeat this new attacker, when she saw the very man she had intended to go visit.
 
“Yukimura!” Yuya exclaimed and sheathed her sword, Running over to Yukimura and giving him a hug.
 
“What are you doing here? I was just coming to visit you!” said Yuya, a large smile adorning her face.
 
“Well, I had Saizo prowling around the area and he saw you come walking so I decided to come see you,” smiled Yukimura “I also have some urgent news to speak to you about when we get home, so come on. I had Sasuke fetch some sake for us.”
 
With that Yukimura began walking before Yuya could question this `urgent news' he spoke about.
 
Having a companion along the road with you makes thing go much faster, you don't have to dwell on sad thoughts when you're with someone else.
 
“Yukimura,” began Yuya “I...well, I've been having those dreams again...and...”
 
“Again?” Said Yukimura with a hint of pity in his voice.
 
“Yes. Except...things in the dream are different now. I'm at the battle of Sekigahara, all those years ago. I see Kyo and Kyoshiro facing off...and...They both turn and look at me. Kyoshiro walks up to me and stabs me through the heart. Kyo stares at me, and then walks away.”
 
As soon as I finished my story, hot tears began forming. Yukimura and I stopped and he turned me towards him.
 
“Yukimura, what do you think it means?” I asked trying to keep myself from completely breaking down.
 
“Yuya,” said Yukimura tenderly “It's okay, it was just a dream.”
 
“Yes,” I said slightly exasperated “But what does it mean Yukimura?”
 
“I believe,” said Yukimura deep in thought “that this dream signifies your feeling of being betrayed by Kyo after he was supposedly defeated by Kyoshiro. You feel that if he really cared for you, he would've tried harder to survive.”
 
I nodded, but then...something Yukimura had said stuck in her mind. “What do you mean by `supposedly' defeated him?”
 
“They never found his body did they Yuya?” Said Yukimura gravely.
 
My eyes widened, `No...It...couldn't have...It's not possible.'
 
“Yukimura! What does this mean?” I exclaimed.
 
“It's Kyo,” said Yukimura “He's alive.”