Scooby Doo Fan Fiction ❯ Me and My Shadow Demon ❯ Chapter 3

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 3

Scooby Doo, Shaggy, Fred, Daphne, Velma along with their young companion Flim Flam, who composed the internationally renown detective agency known as Mystery Inc. stood on the stage of a combination dining room, nightclub and auditorium inside a haunted and extremely frightening old house known as Befuddle Hall.

The strange woman known only to the group(at least so far) as Queen Morbidia, who doubled as the leader so to speak of a group of a group of grotesque and nightmarish creatures smiled wickedly as her group of monsters continued advancing on Mystery Inc., preparing to do them in once and for all.

This without a doubt was one of the strangest and most unusual situations that the group of now college age sleuths and their canine had ever encountered, and it showed on the faces of each of the members of the group as well.

"Like I guess this is it Scoob, it's been nice to know to you old pal." Shaggy said with a whimper.

"Reah, re're roomed." Scooby replied with a whimper as well.

"Oh Jinkies, I guess you two are right, I don't know any way we're going to get out of this." Velma commented, sounding as if all hope had been lost which was definitely not like Velma at all; but of course, in this particular case the gang was dealing with real monsters, who might do anything and everything to Scooby and company, including possible torture, which no one in the group wanted at all.

"However, we're not quite through with you six quite yet, first tell us where is the Chest of Demons?" Morbidia asked.

After hearing the strange woman's question, Fred, Daphne, Velma, Shaggy, Scooby and Flim Flam each looked each other with a questioned look on their faces; the college aged sleuths and their canine companion had no clue what she was talking about and attempted to tell her so.

"We don't have the Chest, ma'am." Fred explained.

"Yeah, you sent that Shadow Demon to take it" Daphne replied.

"Nonsense! I know nothing about a Shadow Creature, now talk or be destroyed!" Morbidia commanded, clearly unhappy about the current turn of events.

"Not a chance lady, there's nothing you can say to get us to talk" Fred remarked.

"Yeah, we've caught worse ghosts then you, and we can do it again." Daphne replied.

"Right and we know our rights, we have the right to a lawyer, the right of free speech and a few other things I can't think of right now, but we have our rights" Flim Flam explained.

"Like yeah, we have our rights, like the right to remain silent; because if we don't who knows what will happen" Shaggy commented.

"I hate to say it, but I agree with Shaggy; if any of us say the wrong thing, Queen Morbidia could send us to the dungeon or worse." Velma replied.

"Reah, rand ri ron't ranna ro to ra rungeon" Scooby remarked with a whimper.

Clearly Queen Morbidia had heard enough from Mystery Inc. and decided to do something about the group of ghost chasers, once and for all.

"Seize them!" Morbidia commanded as the grotesque creatures advanced on Mystery Inc. yet again.

"Jinkies, so much for that" Velma remarked.

Queen Morbidia's strange and nightmarish crew of creeps then walked over and picked up each one of the members of Mystery Inc., albeit under major protest from Scooby and company who were not going away quietly.

"Put me down you horned toad!" Fred angrily remarked.

"Jeepers, whatever you creeps do just make sure you don't mess up my hair and clothes." Daphne added, trying to make light of a dark dismal situation.

"Abuse a ghost and go to jail, and no one but no one can get you out!" Queen Morbidia remarked, evidently she had decided to make a joke as well, albeit her sense of humor was a bit weirder than Scooby and company's sense of humor and was a lot worse then the group of detectives comedic timing as well.

A few minutes passed as Scooby and the rest of Mystery found themselves inside a dark, dismal and cobweb filled dungeon inside Befuddle Hall; the four college students, along with their Great Dane and their young companion sighed as they attempted to figure out someway to escape their ghastly fate, while they were pondering their current situation, Shaggy came up with a comment that pretty much summed up the group's fate.

"Well, like I guess we're going to be stuck in this grimy jail forever" the cowardly college student remarked.

"Come on Shaggy, things aren't that bad are they? Besides, they could always be worse." Fred replied.

"Like I hate to ask, but I'll do it; how could they be worse?" Shaggy asked.

Suddenly the group heard a strange growling sound coming from the other side of the small dungeon, and standing a few feet away was Queen Morbidia's pet spider Griswald, who looked to be quite hungry.

"Oh, like that's how." Shaggy said with a matter of fact tone in his voice.

"Yikes, that's really worse! Come on gang let's out of here before that spider devours us!" Fred declared.

With that Fred and the rest of Mystery Inc. did the most logical thing you could do when being faced with a giant spider, they ran; Scooby and company then started on their way, attempting to escape the clutches of the strange and hungry insect.

A few minutes after the gang started running, Scooby Doo found himself running smack dab into a giant spider web, which the gang assumed that Griswald had spun in order to probably catch intruders or flies.

"Relp! Rhaggy, Reddie, ranybody!" Scooby cried out as he struggled to escape the giant web, with Griswald running towards it and getting ever closer to the Great Dane.

Suddenly Shaggy and the rest of the gang stopped running as they heard the cries for help from their canine companion, which caused the cowardly collegian to come running in order to help his stricken comrade.

"Don't worry Scoob, I'm coming!" Shaggy declared.

However as Shaggy started running to help his teammate, he noticed an all too familiar dark figure floating nearby, and attempted to warn his fallen comrade.

"Look out Scoob, it's the shadow creature!" Shaggy called out.

The Great Dane turned around and indeed saw the strange demonic creature floating nearby, looking to capture him before the giant spider could; as the creature approached the Great Dane and began attempting to pull him off the spider web and towards the strange being.

Scooby bounced off the spider web and right into the waiting arms of his nearby friend, while Queen Morbidia's lackey continued to march right towards them; naturally these events stunned and even surprised Mystery Inc. as they appeared to be safe for a few moments, in addition to stunning the giant spider who was still trying to capture them.

"Jeepers, nice escape, Scooby how did you do it?" Daphne asked.

Meanwhile the Shadow Creature had taken the opportunity while the gang looked quite confused to escape the dungeon through a small crack in a nearby wall; Scooby and company happened to notice this and tried to figure out what to do next.

"That Shadow Demon is escaping, only question is should we follow him?" Fred wondered.

The blond college student didn't have much time to ponder his statement because Griswald the spider was relentless in his pursuit of Scooby and the gang, and was approaching them yet again; finally Velma realized that it was now or never and decided to speak up.

"Anybody have a better idea?" the bespectacled teen asked.

"Like, not really" Shaggy replied.

"Well then let's take Velma's advice and split!" Fred declared as he and the rest of Mystery Inc. decided to follow the shadow creature and went through the crack in the wall after him; luckily the six sleuths were just thin enough to get through the wall, however unluckily for Griswald, he was unable to follow and became stuck in the wall.

"Phew, am I glad that spider didn't decide to go on a diet or something, other wise we'd be sunk" Shaggy remarked.

"Yeah, at least now we have a chance to relax" Velma replied.

Scooby and the rest of Mystery Inc. looked around the strange room that they had run into and attempted to figure out where they were and what was going to happen to them.

"Well, now that we've escaped that spider, anybody got any ideas; like for starters where in the world are we?" Daphne wondered as she and the rest of the gang started walking through the creepy looking room.

"You know, this kind of reminds me of an ancient Tibetan maze" Flim Flam explained.

"A maze?" Velma asked with a quizzical look on her face.

"Yeah, I remember these from my time in the Himalayas, just follow me and I'll lead you guys to safety" the young boy replied.

Flim Flam walked in front of the group as they walked through a strange hallway filled with who knows how many doors; the gang started at one end of the room and walked through one door, then walked through another door, and another, and so on; finally the unofficial leader of the group spoke up and wondered if their young companion was leading them in the right direction.

"Flim Flam, are you sure we're going in the right direction?" Fred asked.

"Positive, just keep following me" the young boy replied.

So Scooby and company did just that and they followed the young boy through yet another door, and another and another one, until the gang went through a door which led to a stone wall, and a dead end.

"You're positive huh? Well I think we're positively lost" Fred explained.

"That's for sure." Daphne added.

Suddenly the gang heard a strange growling sound and sure enough, Griswald the spider was hanging upside down from the ceiling and looked to be ready for his next meal; Scooby and company noticed the strange creature hanging around and after a series of huh's, the gang's young companion spoke up.

"Those Tibetans always had a lousy sense of humor anyway" Flim Flam remarked.

Out of the corner of her eye, coming into the same hallway as the gang, the group's bespectacled, intelligent member noticed a familiar and frightening sight.

"Jinkies, there's that Shadow Creature again!" Velma said with a gulp, which was not like her at all; of course when dealing with real monsters and ghosts, you tend to have a much different point of view.

"Like oh great, now what?" Shaggy wondered.

The rest of the gang echoed the cowardly college student's statement as the strange shadow creature floated along the hallway, heading straight for Scooby and company; except for one small detail, as it turns out the shadow creature wasn't what the group expected, for instead of a shadow, all of a sudden walking towards the group was a short grey haired man, wearing spectacles, a blue bow tie, a brown suit, an aqua colored vest, brown pants and brown shoes.

"It's about time, you all showed up." the man said, looking the group over as he spoke.

"Huh, what are you talking about, uh sir?" Fred asked, somewhat surprised at the man's question.

"Yeah, like who are you anyway?" Shaggy said, echoing the blond college student's statement.

"My name is Byron Befuddle, I built this place and it was my home." replied the man.

"But who's he?" Velma asked, pointing to the area behind the gentleman.

"My shadow" the now identified Mr. Befuddle answered.

Suddenly the man's shadow turned into the strange shadow creature the gang had encountered, numerous times before, and had decided to start laughing evilly, which surprised the gang somewhat.

"Okay, down boy" Mr. Befuddle said as the creature calmed down a little; afterwards Scooby laughed a little at the surprising turn of events, clearly the fact that the man treated his shadow as a pet was amusing to the canine; with the comedy out of the way, Mr. Befuddle decided to tell the gang what was going on.

"When Morbidia let her magic loose on Befuddle Hall, my shadow simply came to life" Mr. Befuddle explained.

"I get it, then he must have been the one who stole our Chest of Demons" Fred commented.

"True, but that was to bring all of you here" Mr. Befuddle replied.

"But why?" Daphne asked.

"Because I need your help, you see Morbidia and her motley crew of monsters have trapped me in here, but now that you're here, you can help me get rid of them" Mr. Befuddle explained.

"I still don't quite understand this Mr. Befuddle, if you couldn't get out of here, then how did your shadow do it?" Velma asked.

"Because my shadow is able to pass through walls and solid objects, when I try and do it I hurt myself; I also sent him to break Vincent's Crystal Ball, so that he couldn't stop you from coming here." Mr. Befuddle explained.

"So you know about Vincent then as well, right?" Velma asked.

"Correct, actually I know about a lot of things" Mr. Befuddle replied.

"OK Mr. Befuddle, if we help you escape from here, will you promise to return our Chest of Demons?" Fred asked.

"Deal!" Mr. Befuddle replied as he shook the blond's hand in agreement.

While Scooby and his friends were consulting with their new friend, Griswald the spider had figured out a way to crack the wall that he was stuck in, and was clearly displeased with Mystery Inc. for escaping from here.

"Uh-oh, look's like Griswald's getting mad" Shaggy remarked.

With that and with Mr. Befuddle joining them, Scooby and company decided that now was a good time to try and escape from the evil spider, so they split in the opposite direction as Griswald broke through the wall and followed them.

"Quickly this way, I'll lead you to the hiding place of the Chest" Mr. Befuddle explained as he pointed to the left.

Mystery Inc. made their way out of the strange room, through the dungeon and through the strange hallway of doors and after several minutes of running, found themselves in another room with a wooden door, which happened to be wide open; after the young sleuths and their Great Dane entered the room, the door closed and Griswald ran smack into it with a loud thump.

Meanwhile inside the strange room, Byron Befuddle was showing giving the gang the grand tour of the strange room, which thankfully made sense considering what the man was about to tell them.

"This is where I hid the chest, in Queen Morbidia's bedchambers" Mr. Befuddle explained.

"Hey, that was smart thinking Mr. Befuddle, this would be the last place that she would expect it to be" Velma commented.

"Exactly" Mr. Befuddle replied.

"So where did you hide the chest, Mr. Befuddle?' Fred asked.

"In the closet" he replied.

"I'll go get it" Daphne remarked as she walked over to a set of doors on the other side of the room; she pulled on the door and a large amount of junk cascaded onto her as it opened.

"Holy cow, you okay Daphne?" Fred asked as he walked over to where she was, hoping that the redhead wouldn't be injured.

"I sure am, besides this seems to happen every time I open my closet at home." she explained.

Fred snickered under his breath at the redhead's comment, but luckily for Daphne, she didn't happen to hear it.

"Besides, look what I found inside!" the redhead added.

"Good going Daphne, you found the Chest of Demons!" Fred exclaimed as he walked over to congratulate his female companion by giving her a big hug.

"Thanks Freddie." the redhead replied with a smile.

"Yes, thank you to all of you, because now my search is finally over!" a voice declared from the other side of the room.

"Morbidia!" Mr. Befuddle declared as the strange woman, her crew of monsters, and oh yes Griswald the spider had found the gang and were standing in the doorway.

"Good hunting Griswald!" Morbidia said as the spider scampered into the room and after Mystery Inc.

"Creepers, run for it gang!" Fred declared as the gang ran out of the room with Daphne carrying the Chest and a variety of strange monsters following them.

"So where to Mr. Befuddle?" Velma asked.

"To get out, we must go downstairs" Mr. Befuddle explained, as Queen Morbidia and a Rogue's Gallery of creatures still on the gang's tail.

"Stop them!" Queen Morbidia demanded as she and the creatures continued to attempt to track down the gang.

"Down here" Mr. Befuddle explained as the gang followed him down a staircase.

"Now down here" Mr. Befuddle said as Mystery Inc. followed the man down another staircase.

"This is the last one." Mr. Befuddle remarked as Scooby and company followed close behind with Griswald following all the while.

Mystery Inc. followed Mr. Befuddle to a nearby window, hoping that there was some way out of the strange house.

"According to my calculations, this is the very basement of the manor" Mr. Befuddle explained.

Velma then decided to walk over to the window and check on this, except for one thing, there was no exit from the room.

"Mr. Befuddle, I think you goofed." the bespectacled brunette said as she and Mr. Befuddle looked out the window.

"Oh dear" he remarked as the two of them looked down and saw that the exit to the manor was no where in sight, in fact there was more of the castle down below them.

"Oh Jinkies, now what to do we do?" Velma wondered.

"Can I give you a lift?" an unseen voice asked.

Suddenly Velma and Mr. Befuddle looked around inside the room, and then looked out the window only to see Vincent Van Ghoul wearing a purple turban and riding a flying carpet.

"Jinkies, Mr. Van Ghoul!" Velma exclaimed, sounding quite happy to see the elderly warlock.

"At your service" Vincent replied.

Meanwhile Queen Morbidia, Griswald and her motley crew of creatures had finally arrived outside the door of the room where Scooby and company were currently in and decided to try and capture the Great Dane and his ghost chasing friends.

"Break that door down!" Morbidia commanded.

While the strange woman and her lackeys were trying to open the door, Scooby and company along with Mr. Befuddle had joined Vincent on his magic carpet and were now flying out the window of Befuddle Hall.

Finally Queen Morbidia and company had broken through and saw what was going on; needless to say she did not look too pleased at what was going on.

"Stop!" she yelled as the carpet began flying away.

However, she didn't have to wait long as Vincent's carpet was having a slight problem, as a matter of fact it was making the same noise that a car would make if its engine wasn't starting or had a problem starting.

"Uh oh, too much weight!" Vincent remarked as the carpet began sparking and was now plummeting towards the ground.

"They've done it! They've escaped from Befuddle Castle, they must be destroyed!" Morbidia commanded as she saw Scooby and company slowly getting away, except that she didn't notice the carpet quickly losing altitude, with the gang yelling all the way down.

Finally the carpet and Mystery Inc. landed with a crash in a large patch of grass; Vincent was clearly unhappy with the canine member of Mystery Inc. and showed his displeasure with him as he bemoaned the fact a large Great Dane was sitting on him.

"Ugh, somebody's getting awfully heavy" Vincent bemoaned.

"Like yeah Scoob, looks like you better cut down on those Scooby Snacks" Shaggy replied.

While Scooby Doo and the rest of the gang were brushing themselves off after climbing out of the grass, they were about to encounter something both quite frightening and quite familiar; Fred then looked over at the castle entrance and saw a familiar woman and her group of creatures heading straight for Mystery Inc.

"Look, its Queen Morbidia!" the blond college student exclaimed.

With that Scooby and the gang, joined by Mr. Befuddle and Vincent Van Ghoul ran for it once more, Morbidia and her group of creatures were following close behind as usual as they chased Mystery Inc. up a nearby hill.

"After them!" Morbidia yelled as she and the other monsters continued their pursuit.

The sinister woman and her cronies chased the gang all the way up the hill until Scooby and company found themselves with no way out, as the collection of sleuths looked down and saw that they were on a cliff, with a drop off of about a thousand feet or so waiting for the group if they fell.

"Jinkies, a dead end!" Velma said, with a terrified tone in her voice.

"Like now what are we going to do?" Shaggy added.

"There's only one solution, we filibuster." Vincent explained.

"Rillibuster?" Scooby questioned.

"Yes, we stall for time until dawn." Vincent added.

"Hey that's right, the monsters will lose their powers at sunrise and that's not too long from now" Fred remarked as he looked down at his watch.

Queen Morbidia then decided to take the opportunity while the gang was trapped to take what she was looking for all night.

"At last! I'll take that!" Queen Morbidia said as she walked over to Daphne and took the chest from her.

With the Chest of Demons in her possession, Queen Morbidia decided it was now time to dispose of her unwanted mystery solving, ghost chasing guests.

"Ah, and now I shall destroy the Chest and all of you, do you have any last words?" Morbidia asked, however as she would soon learn, this was something that she probably shouldn't have done.

"As a matter of fact we do" Vincent commented.

"To start, I bet you didn't know that we are a group of detectives as well as ghost chasers" Fred explained.

"Right and we've captured hundreds of ghosts, monsters, vampires, werewolves and all sorts of other supernatural creatures, all phony of course" Daphne remarked.

"Of course, all of the creatures, ghosts, villains and monsters turned out to be people in costumes trying to scare people away from different places because the villains were trying to commit some kind of crime or steal some kind of treasure or asset." Velma added.

"Like yeah, but even though a lot of those ghosts were fake, Scooby and I were still pretty scared of them all, not to mention we've done who knows how much running over the years" Shaggy remarked, though a bit nervous as he remembered the gang's past adventures.

"Reah, rhey rere retty rary" the Great Dane added.

"Hey gang, since Queen Morbidia gave us a chance to say some last words, why don't we tell her and the rest of her monsters about some of our past cases." Fred explained.

"That's a good idea Freddie, plus this would be a good chance for Flim Flam to learn about us and our history as well" Daphne replied.

"Sounds like fun to me, go ahead guys and start" the young boy replied.

"OK, where we start?" Fred wondered.

"I know, how about the Black Knight?" Velma suggested.

"Good thinking Velma; well, it all started one night when Shaggy and Scooby were walking home from the movies" Fred explained.

And with those words Fred, Daphne, Velma, Shaggy and Scooby started to tell Queen Morbidia, her gang of monsters, Flim Flam, Vincent Van Ghoul and Mr. Befuddle about their hundreds of past mysteries over the years; Flim Flam thought the tales were quite interesting, for a while, in addition Vincent also found some of their past tales quite exciting as well, Mr. Befuddle was interested in some of the stories quite exciting too.

However Queen Morbidia and her gang of monsters weren't very interested and were attempting to figure out a way to pass the time, finally she decided to start doing her nails, before that she tapped her feet, clearly impatient at the gang's stalling tactics; meanwhile after some time had passed, Flim Flam became decided to play jacks in between listening to the gang's stories, in addition Vincent was checking his watch hoping that soon it would be the daytime.

Finally after what seemed like an eternity, Vincent noticed that his watch was getting very close to sunrise; after waiting a few more minutes and after the gang had exhausted most of their list of stories, the great warlock was quite pleased that the group's nightmare was about to end.

"Three, two, one and now!" Vincent declared; at that exact moment the sun began to rise over the nearby mountains.

"No, the sun; we've been duped!" Morbidia exclaimed; meanwhile Griswald and the rest of Morbidia's monsters were running into one another a la the Three Stooges attempting to escape the daylight, not to mention the rest of her group of monsters were either attempting to run or fly away to avoid the light of the sun.

"No! I must escape the sun; I must hide from its rays!" Morbidia declared as she dropped the chest onto the ground, which caused it to open.

"Good night Queen Morbidia" Mr. Befuddle said as the once wicked woman turned into dust, while her cape sat on the ground, still intact somehow.

"And good riddance!" Fred remarked as Flim Flam brought out a dust pan and swept up the formerly evil creature into it; after that the young boy took the dust pan and cape and placed it inside the Chest, and then finally the young boy closed the chest locking Queen Morbidia inside, for all eternity.

"Now it is the time of life, say farewell to the night, happily we greet the sun, bringer of joy, laughter and fun." Vincent said as he and the rest of the gang looked at undoubtedly the most beautiful sunset they had ever seen, considering the previous night's circumstances and the creepy house the group had been inside.

"Jinkies, that was very beautiful Mr. Van Ghoul; you know you have the soul of a poet in you." Velma said, sounding quite impressed by the warlock's verse.

"Thank you Velma, I never thought of myself as much of a poet, but I guess that was a nice poem wasn't it." Vincent replied.

"You know you should get some of those poems published" Velma remarked.

"Yeah Mr. Van Ghoul, I know a publisher and I bet he would be happy to publish your work." Fred added.

"Thank You Fred, but no thanks; I may be a poet, but I would rather not have my work in print; it's just something I really would rather not do, considering my line of work." Vincent commented.

While the blond college aged sleuth was hoping the conjurer might relent to have his work published, deep down he knew Vincent was right in turning his offer down. This was multiplied by the fact that there was a chance that he might have had to deal with the media, which meant he might have to reveal himself as a warlock, which would place himself and pretty much all of Mystery Inc. in danger.

"That was a pretty nice poem Mr. Van Ghoul." Flim Flam chimed in, as he walked over with the Chest of Demons.

"Thank You Flim Flam." Vincent said.

"And it's nice to see you in such a good mood." Flim Flam replied.

"Oh really, why?" Vincent asked, sounding somewhat suspicious at the young man's comment.

"Well, you see, when we all fell off the carpet, I had a little accident with the old crystal" Flim Flam explained as he showed Vincent the Crystal Ball that he had been carrying with him, which of course was cracked and on the fritz.

"Flim Flam, how many times have I told you?" Vincent replied, with his voice raised somewhat as he saw the two Crystals.

"I know, I know, be careful with the crystal, hundreds of times; but don't worry Vince, Scooby and I are taking the crystals to the Mystic repair shop right now." Flim Flam explained as he walked over to join Scooby.

"But that's a thousand miles from here!" Vincent said, somewhat surprised at what the young boy had told him.

"I know Vince, but hopefully you won't mind if Scooby and I borrow your magic carpet for the day would you?" Flim Flam asked.

"Certainly Flim Flam; wait a minute, my magic carpet!" Vincent yelled as he attempted to reason with Flim Flam as only he could.

"Thanks a lot Vince, you won't regret this; onward Jeeves!" Flim Flam said to the Great Dane as he joined the young boy on the carpet, albeit dressed in old fashioned chauffeur's uniform.

"Flim Flam, come back here right this second, Flim Flam, Flim Flaaam!" Vincent yelled to the young boy while shaking his fist as Scooby honked the carpet's horn.

With that Scooby and Flim Flam took off towards the Mystic Repair Shop on Vincent's magic carpet; eventually the pair got to their destination and got the Crystals repaired, it was a good thing they did so because they would need the crystals on the gang's next ghost chasing assignment to track down another of the 13 Ghosts from the Demon Chest wherever he or she might be lurking, somewhere on the planet; but what would the next ghost look like or what would the gang encounter next? That question and mystery would soon be solved as Mystery Inc. continued on their quest to capture the 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo.

Author's Notes: The part of this chapter where the gang attempted to filibuster was a bit different from the original TV episode; on that episode the gang sung to attempt to stall for time, whereas in this fan fic they told stories of their adventures to stall for time; it was a little different but I hope everyone enjoyed it.