SD Gundam Fan Fiction ❯ Collection ❯ Memory of Lacroa ~ Day of Rain ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]
Memory of Lacroa ~ Day of Rain
written: 2006.03.28-29-30, 04.08
Basis: This is closer to "my canon" that I haven't told anyone about. I'm not sure if it's A/U exactly, since it treads where the show did not go.

Vayeate looked up.

It was raining, and he was content.

It was a natural storm; he hadn't summoned it, but he was happy it was there. It had been here for most of the day, and he had had to convince his brother not to seed it with lightning. Mercurius had been disappointed, rather like a child forbidden from playing with a plug and a tub of water, but he knew that Vayeate liked the quasi-silence of rainstorms as much as he the loudest thunderstorms.

The Knight of Storm was on the plains, the relatively featureless grassy highlands pitted with ancient sinkholes. Here, there was nothing to block the wind and rain.

Several raindrops fell on his upturned optic, and he looked down with slight irritation. He found -- to his surprise, for he had heard and sensed nothing but the storm -- that he was no longer alone; the Knight of the Shining Blade was present.

He wouldn't say that he had joined him in presence, for beyond his loyalty to the Knights and the Royal Lineage, he was very much a loner. Even his friendship with the Winged Knight was only implied, although Vayeate had heard that it had not always been so. Whatever the reason for Deed's introversion, it was not really Vayeate's problem.

After a minute of silence he was satisfied the other had not come to speak with him, and he turned away. Companionship was not what he sought here; he got enough of that with his brother. Thus, he was mildly annoyed when Deed spoke a minute after that.

"There is another kind of storm coming."

Vayeate paused, and turned around to look at Deed, who was now watching him. He was fairly sure that he hadn't meant a literal storm, but then it sounded like prophecy. Was he a seer? He had never heard that before.

"Tallgeese has made it known that he wants an.. alliance, with you and your brother." His voice was disinterested, and his expression unreadable.

Ah, Vayeate thought. So that is what is going on.

"We're not interested in overthrowing the kingdom."

"Your brother spoke differently."

Vayeate was silent.

"Tallgeese is a Knight of dark mana, now."

Vayeate's optic flickered, equivalent to a blink. "Where did he learn to do that?"

Deed said nothing, only watched Vayeate.

"The only place I have seen that details the dark mana contract is in the Royal Library. Tallgeese never had access to it, so someone must have helped him."

Deed nodded.

"I thought your loyalties lay with the Royal Knights."

Deed's eyes narrowed.

"I didn't think you were the powerhungry or thrill-seeking type."

"I'm not," he said flatly.

"Why are you doing this, then?"

"I have my reasons."

"Doesn't everyone?" Vayeate quipped, before looking away to mull.

He had known Mercurius was not entirely satisfied with the unexpectedly quiet life of Knighthood they were leading. They had sought this life, learned and trained and gave it their all to rise in the ranks of recognition and power. Outside of the royal lineage, the Royal Knights were the most prestigious and powerful, and it was to them that the brothers had aspired.

But now... The thrill of reaching their life's goal had worn away, and they noticed that as powerful as the Knights were, there was rarely need or cause to use their power. They were getting bored, and a bored Mercurius was a restless and occasionally reckless Mercurius.

Vayeate nodded to himself, satisfied that he'd figured out Mercurius' reasoning. Now, he thought, what do I think about this?

He did not get restless as Mercurius did; he could just as easily stay where he was as stir up some trouble, and he was more inclined to routine. Routine was comfortable and somewhat addictive, and he tended to rely on his brother to keep him out of the rut. This could be for the best of them both.

A rebellion would definitely cure his brother's restlessness, as well as give them ample opportunity to use their powers to their fullest.

Their own loyalty was no issue; they were there for selfish reasons to begin with. They were simply better at hiding their motives than Tallgeese, whose blatant lust for power had him turned away almost as soon as he had appeared. If they decided that staying was no longer any good for them, they would leave without regret or second thought.

He tried to think of some downsides. So far, he could only think of reasons to go along, but something was bothering him, and he couldn't figure out what it was. It was quite annoying.

Did they really want to join with Tallgeese? They weren't honestly interested in ruling the country, after all. Perhaps they could get away with being subordinate warriors for a while, and then abandon him once things settled and the tedium of actually running the place returned. They might even be able to rejoin the Knights if things went badly, if they said it had all been planned and offered them information or Tallgeese himself.

Then there was the unknown element that dark mana created. The nuances of the darker magic were not taught, probably to keep ignorant those who would be interested in it, but in the end it only meant that no one but the weilder knew what the extent of that power was. When Tallgeese had first appeared at the Palace, he was inexperienced but obviously had potential and was eager -- too eager -- to learn. Who knew what he was capable of now?

And yet... It may yet still be worthwhile.

Hmm, he thought.

"I will speak to Mercurius first."

"Very well." Deed looked up at the sky for a moment, then turned and walked away.

Vayeate watched him go. He had not stopped thinking about the implications of the proposal, and still had reservations about it. However, Mercurius would convince him, of this he was sure, and in some unquantifiable way, he felt this had to happen.

He glanced back at the sky and sighed. Who needed routine, anyway...