SD Gundam Fan Fiction ❯ Collection ❯ Memory of Lacroa ~ Evening ( Chapter 3 )

[ A - All Readers ]
Written: 2006.04.19, 2007.02.22
Basis: More 'my canon.' Others are welcome to reference or extrapolate if they want to. =o

It was a warm day, late Spring. The afternoon sun was unencumbered by clouds, and it was a perfect day for combat instruction.

"No, no! You'll cut your arm off if you weild it like that!" Battle sighed. His student showed promise, but he was too often distracted, lost in his own thoughts. If only he spent more time in the here and now.

Deed made a frustrated sound and corrected his stance, holding his wooden polearm with his right hand while steadying it with his left arm. He glanced at Battle to see his reaction, and restarted the paces.

There were a few errors, most of which would be ironed out with repetition. After the lesson, they returned to the city for the evening meal. Deed's hometown was just far enough away that returning there each night would be impractical, so he stayed with Battle, who looked after him in addition to training him.

Descending the cliffside trail from the plains above, they had an awe-inspiring view of the city below. The great Spirit Tree and the far cliff was bathed in the light of the Golden Hour, the shadows of the Tree threw dark jags on the stone. Together they watched the light of the sunset as they walked down. By the time they had nearly reached the bottom, lights had just begun to appear in the windows of surface buildings.

Battle looked to Deed; the young Gundam was staring off into space again... He coughed, to get the young Gundam's attention, and Deed started. But his attention went to somewhere below them -- somewhere on the ground -- and he called down, "Hey! Zero! Wait up!" And he jumped over the edge of the path!

Alarmed, Battle rushed to the edge, only to find his student floating down safely, if descending a bit fast. He swore under his breath and hovered a moment before following.

"Deed!" he heard someone -- Zero? -- call back, and saw the other student Gundam run to meet up with his friend.

Deed landed first, if a bit awkwardly, and waved to Zero as soon as his footing was sure. Then Battle landed, and loomed behind him.

Zero looked up, stopped and flinched. Deed started to look behind him slowly, then wheeled around to face his mentor, looking nervous.

Battle stared imposingly for a moment, then gave a long-suffering sigh. "Do not do that again, Deed. Not until your flight skills have improved." He paused, looking over the two. "Now... What say you two, to food?"

Deed nodded earnestly, obviously glad he wasn't getting chewed out further, "Yes sir! And I--"

"--Sounds great!" Zero piped up over his friend, who trailed off in annoyance. "You would let me come, too?"

"There is naught like a shared meal after training to brighten the spirit. Do not interrupt, Zero, it is rude."

"Er, yes sir."

Deed smirked slightly in good nature, and elbowed Zero. "A race to the eatery?" Without waiting, he dashed off in one direction.

"Ah.. Deed!" Zero frowned. "I don't even know where it is!" But soon he was running after him, leaving Battle behind.

The Knight let them play; they had earned it. He smiled slightly, to himself. With two such as these potential Knights, the future would not be boring.