SD Gundam Fan Fiction ❯ Yakunan Rijun ❯ Rifleman's Insanity ( Chapter 23 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“Okay wait, let me make sure I have this straight,” Fleur rubbed her head, both her and Natsumi having been caught up on the details, “You got separated by a giant tank of a wolf and you honestly believe that its safer if we travel along the outside of the Fortress where he is just so we can avoid the possible other stronger fighters?”
 
“Not possibly stronger,” Madnug corrected, “They are much stronger then Ace. And the less resistance in our path the sooner we can get to the Angel of Death and Demon General. And the safer all of you will be.”
 
Shute chimed in, “But sneaking around Ace seems almost impossible. He's sure to find us again.”
 
“Agreed,” young Captain nodded, “If he locates us again there is a 97.56% chance that we will be separated again. And we would be right back at square one.”
 
Commander huffed, “The odds are stacked against us no matter what path we take. Follow the river's teaching and take the path of least resistant. If anyone one of you from the past are harmed then the future could be changed drastically possibly for the worse.” He then glances at Celestin then faces Fleur, “We were very lucky it was only the Baggu V2 that captured you and furthermore that we could unfreeze both you and my daughter. We are taking the outside path to the highest tower, and through the trophy room. Discussion over.” With that, the aged musha turned and lead the group back to an open window grumbling at his crippled limbs.
 
They found themselves on a slanted rooftop, hugging the wall as they crept around to a walkway not to far off, those who could fly keeping an eye out for the tank of a wolf. “Okay almost there,” Commander spoke eyeing the bridge connecting the towers, “From there it's just a straight shot to the Demon General and the Angel of Death.”
 
“Father,” Daichimaru nervously swallowed, “Do you think it will be a repeat of what happened last time?” Commander Baku looked back at his son, then dropped his gaze offering no answer but kept moving forward. He honestly thought they would lose again, but after all the work Celestin had put in to try and find some way to prevent this; he had to at least try.
 
“Oh course it won't be a repeat of what happened!” Hanabi cheerfully reassured them, “We have all the members of the Legendary Gundam Force this time! We can't lose.”
 
Shute nodded, “Yep! Captain, Zero, and Bakunetsumaru together they are an unstoppable team, the Angel of Death doesn't stand a chance!”
 
“You got that right!” Natsumi cheered pumping her fist.
 
“They're right you know,” Celestin said to Daichimaru, “you even got to see them in action first hand. This is our ace in the hole!” Captain, Zero and Baku blushed faintly from all the praise.
 
Older Captain scanned the walkway where they would drop down, “I'll go first and see if it is clear.” Turning off his flight pack, the par broken Neotopian gundam slid down the roof stopping at the edge. “Okay, everything appears normal.” With a `hup' he jumped from the roof.
 
“Lunch time!” High General Ace's fanged maw closed around the gundam.
 
“Captain!”
 
Ace's face screwed as he growled, a sound of straining came from his mouth. Older Captain slowly pried the High General's jaw apart, “Sorry to disappoint but I am not on the menu!”
 
“Why won't you damn gundam's die!” Ace snarled clamping down harder on the gundam.
 
“Captain! Don't move!” Celestin pointed his sword at Ace's throat, sending a stream of fire into the wolf's mouth.
 
Ace howled in agony letting his lunch go as he cough and sputtered, “You damn mechanical feign, destroyers of the Mother why won't you just rust and return to her!”
 
Commander drew his blades, “Hurry! Run! Now!” He leapt from the roof sinking both katanas into Ace's back and held on for dear life as the wolf snarled and shook violently trying to knock him off as the rest of the force jumped and flew over him, “Keep going! I'll catch up!”
 
“Hurry this way!” Daichimaru and Hanabi ran ahead leading them down the walkway.
 
“What about Commander Baku?' Zero worried looked behind them.
 
“He's old but he's still fast,” Celestin reassured him.
 
Commander held tight finding a foot hold in Ace's armor, “How many times must I explain it to you! The Dark Axis destroys and petrifies nature! We wish to live in harmony with all organics and mechanic being, plant, animal, human, and mecha!”
 
“Still your lie spitting tongue!” Ace roared at the musha, “I know your kind all to well. You take away from the earth and give nothing in return! You suffocate her and slowly kill her but you are deaf and blind to what damage you cause! No more will I let a planet suffer under the carelessness of humans and their mechanical monsters! I freed our home and I intend on liberating all of nature even if it should cost my life!”
 
“You are the blind fool here! Can't you see you are destroying worlds and all the nature living on them?” Commander Baku spat back, “Did you not see what your army did to Neotopia, Lacroa, and now are doing to Ark! All three organic and mechanic lived in peace together! In harmony and you intend to end such a way a life simply because you do not agree with it!?”
 
“Those mind games do not work on me!” Ace throws himself backwards intent on squashing the musha. Bakunetsu gasped and jumped off the wolf's back, failing the keep a hold on the right handed sword only pulling the left free. Landing on his injured arm and leg, the musha yelped then winced in pain, quickly sheathing his remaining sword and tried to push himself up despite his left leg sparking and screaming in pain, constantly faltering beneath him.
 
Baku strained, “Not now come on! Work, just for a few minutes more!” He pleaded with the crippled leg.
 
Ace growled as his missed attack forced the katana deeper into him and under his armor, “Damn you samurai!” Rolling back to all fours he charged teeth bared and ready for a kill.
 
“No! Ah damn it!” Baku redrew his remaining sword holding it in defense, ready to fight one handed, his samurai honor refusing to let him give up.
 
Fwoosh!
 
Ace snapped at thin air, “What the?” He looked up at a retreating gundam.
 
Madnug held Baku in his arms carting him away from the fight, “Sorry Commander but we cannot afford to lose you! I hope your honor will forgive me.”
 
“Come back here!” Ace howled and charged after them quickly closing the gap.
 
The thunderous footsteps caused Bakunetsumaru, Shute, Hanabi, Daichimaru, and Natsumi to lose their footing, “Oh no!” Shute cried out seeing the wolf closing in as they tried to stay up.
 
“Hold on!” Captain scooped up his best friend, old Captain grabbing Hanabi, Celestin snatching up Hanabi, Fleur grabbing Daichimaru, and Zero carting Bakunetsumaru off the walkway
 
Hanabi ordered, “Quick! Fly us to the tower. Ace wouldn't dear follow us into the Angel of Death's chamber without being summoned first!” The group swerved away from the rampaging wolf, towards the front of the fort hoping to lose his trail but no luck, Ace activated his flight thrusters and followed them move for move.
 
“No good!” Captain yelled, “He's going to catch us again!”
 
Celestin turned towards the battle, “Maybe not! Sir Tunk! Sir Loki! Help!”
 
Out in the battle field, both of the exhausted Lacroix knights turn hearing the youngest knight's cry. “Celestin!” Tunk whistled to Grappler Gouf, “Trouble on the fort lines!” Turning back he charged fueled by the Steel Dragon and wielding his scythe aiming for the large wolf.
 
“Tunk! Wait!” Loki still merged with the Jormangander charged after his comrade shielding various attack from below.
 
“Get away from them scum!” Tunk raised his weapon and swung hitting him on the broadside causing Ace to run into a wall and descend, “Are you alright?”
 
“Thanks for getting him off of-”
 
“Tunk look out!”
 
Ace flew back up catching Tunk off guard and swatting the gundam onto the roof face down, “How dare you interrupt my hunt rust pile!” He yelped again as Loki drew his attention away from Tunk and the other
 
Captain looked up, “Tunk! Are you alright?”
 
Tunk groans, “Don't stop. Hurry to Death Angel.” He gasps exhausted barely able to move now that he's been knocked down, “If… you can't stop him. Get the Demon General and… escape. Grappler will… demolish the fort. Several charges are set. Get out quickly once… the signal is given. Shoo vermin. When you hear that, run.”
 
Commander Baku nodded, “Sound like the best plan we've had in a while. When we have the General we'll say Vermin found.”
 
Tunk nodded, “Alright then, I'll relay that to the Daishogun.”
 
Rrroarwrrarrrr!
 
Ace reappeared behind firing into the fort then swatting several of the gundams back inside, those who were falling grabbed those still in the air and pulled them in desperate not to be separated again.
 
Crashing hard onto the stone floor below, Shute and Hanabi groaned the boy rolling over lying on his back, “Okay… that hurt.”
 
“You okay Shute?” Hanabi asked in concern.
 
Shute nodded sitting, “Yep! I'm fine. Just sore.”
 
“Did Tunk fall in as well?” Zero inquired looking around.
 
“I don't see him,” Baku replied. The musha then felt a drop of blood hit his arm, “Huh? Oh no.”
 
They looked up and saw a puddle of gundam blood dripping through the roof, Ace's forearm currently stuck in the mess of steel and wood piercing him. Hearing a roar of a dragon they feared the worse as Tunk's voice cried out, “Loki! Vermin… found! Tell Daisho….” His voice trailed off. A brilliant flash could be seen through the wreckage then, nothing. No shadow of the injured gundam just a horrid cry for a fallen comrade from Loki and the glitter of Mms.
 
Celestin bowed his heads and looked away, “Now even Sir Tunk. How many lives do you plan to take Angel of Death!” He angrily glared in the direction of the Shadow tower.
 
Young Captain nodded, “Another life to add to list of those we can stop him from killing should we succeed.” He looked back at the trapped High General still trying to free his paw, “How far are we from the tower?”
 
“Close actually,” Daichimaru replied, “Over a few rooms then up one more winding staircase. Father I recommend we take our chances with the stronger fighters.”
 
Commander nodded, sitting up, “It… would be the wisest. Ace is clever then I thought.” He stood up, right leg crackling and sparking violently under the weight, “Don't falter on me now, just a little more to go.”
 
“Father you've over worked yourself again!” Natsumi scolded him helping the old musha through the far doorway
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
The group continued down the long trail, grateful that this adventure through time would soon be coming to a close and maybe just maybe after all of this they can restore what had been lost. Brief talk was made about what would change in along the time stream, what if something worse happened? Commander Bakunetsumaru quickly silenced such talk, now was not the time to be thinking of anything worse when they had to fight with the Angel of Death ahead.
 
Suddenly, the interior of the castle changed styles, from having a very Arkain design to that of something closer to Neotopia; sleek, cold, untarnished, metal on the walls, floor, and ceiling of the hall leading to an electronic sliding door reminiscent of those on Blanc Base.
 
“Wait…” old Captain spoke softly suddenly throwing his hand to his Soul Drive cover, “Something… something is not quite right….”
 
The others turned to face him, “What's wrong Uncle Captain?” Hanabi chirped.
 
The aged Neotopian gundam remained silent, lost in thought, “Can… it be? Could it really? No… no. Daichimaru, you said the Shute of our time is dead correct?”
 
Daichimaru nodded and Commander Baku answered, “We lost communication with him after our last raid into the fortress. That was many months ago, back when we first sent Celestin to the past.”
 
Shute figured it out, “You can sense older me can't you?”
 
“Yes,” older Captain replied, “It is strange. After I awoke I felt Shute's presence, but I assumed it was from you. The possibly of my Shute being alive is less then one percent.”
 
RrrrrAAGHhhhhHHhhhGAHHH!
 
The pained wail rattled from behind the metal door drawing everyone's attention, the wail was then echoed by older Captain thought slightly muffled and him clenching his Soul Drive and dropping to one knee as a brilliant light began to shine through the small windows. Younger Captain let out of muffled groan suddenly clutching his Soul Drive as well though his did not activate.
 
“Captain!” Shute ran to his buddy and tried to help him, “Captain what's wrong! What's wrong with both of you.”
 
“I… have no idea.” Captain replied, “It… it almost feels like a part of my Soul Drive is trying to shatter. Its warning me you are in peril!”
 
“But I'm right here,” Shute replied confused.
 
“Uncle Captain!” Hanabi stood next to him terrified.
 
Older Captain remained bent over gasping for air as his Soul Drive slowly deactivated, “What… whatever is causing this… is beyond that door. There may be a very good chance that… that the Shute of this time is still alive!”
 
“What?” Madnug faced the door, “But that's impossible. Anyone we have lost contact with while they were in the Fort has died.” Fearful of what might be causing such pain on his leader and somewhat older brother, Madnug opened the door and ventured inside the dimly lit room.
 
“Madnug! Wait!” Commander Baku followed him inside.
 
“Father!” Daichimaru ran after him with Celestin close behind.
 
“Uncle Captain can you stand up?” Natsumi asked concern.
 
“Yes. I am okay now. Hurry, everyone!” With that he led the others inside.
 
Metal covered walls and a low ceiling; the circular room provided little means of flight room, its occupant sat on all fours breathing heavily, hiding off in the shadows and blocking the opposite door. What light did hit his form showed an adult human with muscle tone and many cybernetic elements, most notably several weapons strewn into what was once flesh and a metal jaw. For the most part his body was exposed only wearing a pair of long pants, army boots, and a helmet with a tuft of hair protruding from the front.
 
“Why… am I here? What… what is my purpose for existing! Was I someone else? Where… where did I come from! Why do I care about these things!?” the cyborg cried out to no one looking squarely at the floor, one hand covering half his face.
 
“You there!” Madnug shouted across the room, “Who are you! Remove yourself from our way!”
 
The cyborg's breathing grew harsher as he snarled, “Go away. Go away!”
 
“Move from our path and we will leave you be!” Celestin retorted.
 
“Go away! Go away!” The Cyborg turned and fired five spikes from his right arm, “Go away! Go away!” He stood and moved to the light revealing one eye to be a firing scope and the other to still be a human eye.
 
The group spilt in two as the spikes lodged into the door across from the cyborg. Shute looked up at him, “It's you again! Rifleman!”
 
“Leave me! Go away! Go away!” Rifleman's left hand opened like a hinge and fired a laser cannon at the boy, Captain quickly grabbing and pulling him away from the blast.
 
“Is this guy insane?!” Bakunetsumaru asked in shock while drawing his twin katanas.
 
“Go away! GO AWAY!” Rifleman shouted at the heavens letting lose his shoulder cannons, each shooting a bomb to either group and exploding after rolling closer.
 
Smoke filled the room, now adorned with new dents. Satisfied that he had gotten rid of them, Rifleman retreated to the shadows and his sorrows, “Why… why won't anyone help me? Am I truly forever alone? Nothing more then a gun that pulls its own trigger?”
 
Ka-POW!
 
Rifleman snapped back to reality turning to see where that had come from. Daichimaru stood with another bomb arrow at the ready, “Now that I have your attention, who are you! If you do not want to fight then stand down! Or do we have to dismantle you as well?”
 
 
Rifleman seethed, angered that his attack missed, let loose a blood curdling pain filled scream like the one they had heard earlier, “Go away… go away!” With that he charged at the archer, “Go away!”
 
Daichimaru huffed, “Alright, one explosion coming up!”
 
“No don't!” Older Captain struck the bottom of the bow making the arrow explode on the ceiling. He then turned to Rifleman despite Daichimaru's protest, only to be met with a square punch to the jaw and sliding across the room.
 
“Go away!” Rifleman went after the gundam, old Captain having just enough time to get up and dodge the attack.
 
“Stop this!” Captain retorted retreating and dodging Rifleman's attack as he lead him around the room well away from the others, “I know who you are!”
 
“I am Rifleman! The gun that shoots by itself!” the enraged cyborg replied, “Go away!” He swung with his left, Captain caught it, and then with his right, Captain caught this as well.
 
“No!” the rusted Captain Gundam shouted, “You are not Rifleman. You are not a pawn for the Angel of Death! I know you are in there! Shute! Answer me!”
 
“Sh… Shute?” Rifleman's breathes were that of a growl now, “That is not my name!” He kicked Captain away from him raising his right arm, reviling a twin barrel rifle that opened fired on Captain as the gundam skated away using his flight boosters, “Go away! Go away! Go away!”
 
“Shute!?” Commander asked watching the fight, “That's impossible! He's dead in this time!”
 
“Daddy!” Hanabi ran forward towards Rifleman, “Daddy! Stop this! I know you are in there! Uncle Captain must be telling the truth!”
 
“Hanabi!” Everyone shouted, “No! Come back here! Hanabi no!”
 
Rifleman stopped and turned his attack on the girl, “Go away! Go away!”
 
Hanabi stopped and look at him dead in the eyes, unmoving, he wouldn't shoot her right? If he really was her father he wouldn't shoot her. He never would.
 
“Go away. Go a…way….” Rifleman trembled slightly, “G… go… Go away!” He fired at her, Hanabi was quickly surround by a Mana shield and pulled back by Zero.
 
“He… he shot at me,” Hanabi whimpered in disbelief.
 
“Of course he shot at you!” Shute snapped at her, “He's work for the Death Angel.”
 
Captain watched as his older counterpart regained Rifleman's attention placing one hand over his Soul Drive again, “Hanabi, that was reckless. Your Captain, I can feel it, Rifleman is Shute. But only your Captain can get through to him. Just wait.”
 
“But I-!” She cut off her protest not having any ground to stand on.
 
Captain grabbed Rifleman once more holding him by his wrist, “Shute! Shute! Listen to me! I know you're in there! It's me! It's Captain! You have to remember! Shute! You fixed me after Zapper Zaku's attack. You discovered how to activate my Soul Drive, with out you I cannot do so.”
 
“Go away!” Rifleman snarled, “I am not Shute I am-”
 
“You are Shute!” Captain cut him off, “You are Special Member Shute of the Superior Defender Gundam Force! With out the Force is incomplete! All four members are needed to make up the Superior Defender Gundam Force! And you are a part of that! Shute of Neotopia! That is who are!
 
Rifleman shook his head, “I serve The Ang… I am Ri… I … I am… I am…”
 
“You are Shute!” Captain released one of his wrist and place his hand over Shute's heart, “Here! You are Shute! This is who you are in this heart! Come back to use Shute! We need your help!
 
“I… I am….” Rifleman breathed heavily shaking his head, “I am Ri… Shu…. Rifl… Shu…. C-Capta… no, no I Special Mem… Gun… Ca…. Ca…ptain…” He stopped his resistance but remained standing, bowing his head to look closer at the Gundam, “Cap…Captain? B-buddy?”
 
“Yes! Shute it's me. I'm here.” Captain released his hold from Rifleman's other wrist.
 
“Captain…” Older Shute dropped to his knees and pulled Captain into a hug, “I thought you were dead… what happened?” He sat up again look over himself, “What… what happened to me?”
 
“Daddy!” Seeing her father back to his senses, Hanabi ran over and jumped on him hugging tightly, “I knew you were still alive!”
 
“Hanabi! What are you doing in here!” Older Shute asked surprised to see his daughter but relived she was okay, still clueless to what was going on.
 
“I… I came looking for you. Everyone said you were dead. I knew that couldn't have been right!” Hanabi buried herself into her father's chest holding back tears.
 
“When did someone think I was d- Oh no!” He suddenly jumped up as his memory raced back to him, “I Daichimaru! I left him to die!”
 
“I'm alright Uncle Shute!” Daichimaru shouted finally over the shock of older Shute being okay.
 
“We thought you were dead!” Natsumi chimed in, “Thank goodness you are okay!”
 
Older Shute merely stood there and laughed, happy that his friends, young and old were worried enough to come look for him, “Bakunetsumaru I'm surprised you ordered another raid on the Fortress. Are you just getting lucky this time making it this far.”
 
Commander cleared his throat, “We had some helped,” he gestured to the younger Gundam Force.
 
“Help? Ah!” Older Shute jumped and pointed wide-eyed, “Wh-what the hell! Fleur! Zero! Alive!? And younger me, and another Captain? Wh-what's going on here!”
 
“He ran forward slightly wondering if he was seeing things, “Celestin you went to the past I know that, why are they here!?”
 
Celestin winced and lowered his head blushing, “Long version or short version?”
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*< /div>
 
“You're joking.” Older Shute glared at Celestin, “You… are… what were you! More importantly what were you thinking young me!?”
 
“That we could save you!” Younger Shute replied, “And so far its working!”
 
“Working!” He was outraged, was he really this simple minded as a kid? “You're destroying the time stream as we speak! Who knows what damage could be cause by you being here!”
 
Bakunetsumaru pointed out, “Rubbish said he could wipe our memories.”
 
Rubbish nodded, “And I still plan on doing so!”
 
“Do it now then and get them out of here,” older Shute ordered.
 
“What!” Fleur asked flabbergasted, “Old Shute, you want to get rid of the Ace up your sleeve just like that and undo all that Celestin worked towards?”
 
Older Shute shook his head, “I don't care about that. Its great seeing you and Zero alive again don't get me wrong but hell this future sucks its what we got and what we have to play out.”
 
“Are you kidding me!” Young Shute was enraged, “Am I really this thick headed and single minded when I get older!?”
 
“Who are you calling thickheaded!?”
 
“Myself it seems! Look, we asked Celestin and Daichimaru to bring us here, if you want to be mad at anyone, be mad at us!”
 
“Trust me I am!” Old Shute snorted at his younger self.
 
Zero groaned, “If it is of any comfort our plan is to only get Demon General and return to our own time. If we happen to get the Angle of Death while we are at it then great! But all we need is his younger form to prevent all of this.”
 
“There!” Madnug got the opposite door opened, “Okay then Shute, let's go.”
 
“Alright,” they both responded, “Wait…”
 
“Okay this is only going to get more confusing in a fire fight,” Captain determined, “My Shute will be, Shute, and older Shute will be Rifleman, alright?”
 
“I can live with that,” Rifleman replied, “Now the matter of two Captains, Hanabi do you have a scarf or something?”
 
“Yep!” Hanabi pulled out a scarf from her pack, “Her you go Daddy.”
 
Rifleman took the scarf and places it around old Captain's neck, “There, now we have Captain, and Scarf Captain, or S.C. for short.”
 
“Good that was getting annoying,” Commander Baku cleared his throat, “Now Rifleman if you would show us the way?”
 
“Certainly,” “Rifleman replied, “Kouhebi and Araebisu should be up ahead.”