Shaman King Fan Fiction ❯ Blood And Death: A Perfect Family Shattered ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]



Blood and Death: A Perfect Family Shattered



I do not own Shaman King...





<Manta's POV..>



The light flickered softly as I left the my house to Yoh's.... I held my dictionary close to my heart when I reached his home, as if frightened of what was behind that door.


"How long have I seen you?" I spoke. "Why did you run away from it all... but I have found you Yoh. Shaman King."


The small flowers and vegetables appeared untended. Dying and wilting to sickly putrid, creamy green color. His heart would never ignore the living... plant or animal... he would be there... he would never allow this to happen.


"How long have I known you?" I questioned. "Why did you leave it all... but I have found you, Yoh. Shaman King..."


The house seemed a bit rundown... it was far cry from the wonderful tree he had that blossomed with flowery bulbs in its leaves. I came across the door handle. The rust on top indicated it was not opened for quite a while.


"Here goes..." I spoke. I pulled the handle open and entered. A few moths popped out as I walked over the creaking, fading wooden planks and cob webbed walls. "Yoh?" I whispered as I creaked open a door. A man laid in bed. A white gown over his body as I approached the side. "Yoh... is that you?" I asked.


Slowly he turned to the side. I gasped once as the dictionary fell from my hands. His hair seemed thinned. His eyes were shallow while his skin appeared more like a rolled up sheet of silk over rock hard bone.


"Who are you?! What are you doing in my house?!" he barked in a muffled tone. I immediately ran outside the place. I've entered in some stranger's home and made a complete idiot of myself. I shot out of the door. I didn't want to go back. I couldn't go back. The old geezer leaned against his cane as he opened the door and tossed a rock at me. He then placed his hands on his sides, feeling a bit proud of himself... and strutted back inside to his worn house.


A small tear fell down my eye... "I thought I found you...." I spoke.


"Lord Manta, don't cry... please... I hate it when my friends cry." Sitting there above my head... was Amidamaru.


"AMIDAMARU!! You know where Yoh is... right?" I asked. Amidamaru's face saddened as he hovered down next to me.



"He's in there... didn't you see him?" asked Amidamaru. See him?



"All there was... was some old grandpa..." Amidamaru shook his head.



"Well... I guess not everyone can keep their looks forever and..."



My eyes flung open.



"What?! Are you saying that..." He nodded.


"Yep. That old fart in there..."


"... is Yoh? How could this be? He would never see me as a stranger. Even less toss a rock at me." I was angry. Infuriated. Treated like dirt... like some rejected animal. Amidamaru was good at studying feelings tho'. I knew it. He knew it. I made sure he knew EXACTLY how I felt at that moment. I watched him sigh.


"Lord Yoh's... been lonely... after he was no longer needed... he kind've felt depressed... and spent most of the days sleeping... drinking... and now... he has some sort of condition... where his bones became brittle... and can easily break. He felt so ashamed of his condition he even rejected participating in the next shaman tournament. Then when he was a temporary hand at a ranch... he got struck in the head by a horse while changing its shoesand developed a senile mind. His whole world revolves around that house there, Lord Manta.... He cares for nothing... not even me....... I tend to his illness... but he still sees me as some hired help."


"Well, I can change that... me and Yoh have been friends for a long time. Time has tested our friendship once... I guess now it must be tested once more."


I slowly crept back towards the door. Hiding behind a wall... I carefully opened the door, preparing to run if I needed to. It swung open... no reaction. Could he have went to bed already?


He did. I crawled upon my belly, across the rough floor and next to the bed at where Yoh slept. I summoned all of my courage and hummed Brave Heart... a song that has not been heard by his ears... for over fourty years... I watched him stir as I slowly shut my eyes to allow only emotion to complete the song. He sat up, blinking from right to left.


"That song... I remember... that... song..." he spoke as he flung his legs on to the side of the bed. He turned down towards me. He had these dull brown eyes that seemed so lonely... but familiar. He placed his clammy hands on my cheeks and examined my face... I wanted to pull the deathly touched fingers away but felt bound at that moment that prevented me from doing so. "Do you... know Manta?" his voice trembled.


I nodded. He then took a moment to run a finger through my bangs.


"Are you... related to Manta?" I nodded once more. A small tear fell from my eyes as I bounded forward and wrapped my arms around the old man.


"Yoh... I am Manta..." I whispered in his ear. Life seemed to spring from his pupils... he gave me a careful pat on the back. It felt odd... but it was once more an infinite friendship. "Yoh... why did you run away?"


He turned towards me. The glow of life faded a bit as he laid back down on the bed sheets.


"I was tired... of everything... for I couldn't love... not anymore..."


What did it mean? Not anymore? Not love anything anymore?


"Is something wrong, Yoh?"


He turned towards a small portrait... him... Anna... and a little girl. "Yoh?" I repeated. "Yoh are you there?"


His head shook... "Forgive me... I wasn't paying attention. Listen... I'll go have Amidamaru prepare us a cup of tea." I turned and grabbed the cane for him, helping him out of bed and into the small kitchen. A small loaf of stale wheat bread stood in the middle of the table as the dead samurai came out carrying a huge tray that held two cups and an urn. Turning from left to right... a disturbing vision appeared before me. Old brown sheets of aged paper with pastels of stick figures were pasted on one wall.... A bloody doll sat quaintly in a chair while a ripped sun hat hung in the other. A moldy cake with a knife was placed under glass. His shaking hands grasped the cup and began to sip the hot fluid into his mouth. I began to drink mine as well... suddenly I turned to the corner... and laying there was his sword, reddened by dark blood. I dropped the cup. It was like slow motion as it spun a bit, dripping its contents on my lap while it hit the side and broke in two. A piece of it slit my hand. Soon red fluid began to drip from it.


Yoh clutched my hand. He pulled out a handkerchief and tied it around my hand.


"Yoh... what happened?"


"The day I lost faith in people..." he spat.


"Tell me..."


"You want to know?"


"Please... Yoh... you're scaring me...."


"All right... but make sure you shut the windows... I don't want them to come in. Please note that all that stuff you and Amidamaru talked about outside was a bit of the bullshit side. I'll tell you what really happened."


I did as he told me. I felt odd. His shaking died down a bit... he seemed more at peace with the darkness around him.


<Thrity years earlier... end POV...>


"Sakaki... wake up... guess what today is?" spoke Yoh as he shook his little girl.


Her wide hazel eyes slowly opened.


"Oh don't be silly Daddy... you know what day it is. My birthday!" she shouted as she jumped up and down. Her hair was a dark blond as a fair-skinned woman entered the room.


"Honestly Yoh. What have I told you about not getting her so... rowdy? I mean... what will I do when the second one comes in?" she spoke as she touched her belly. Yoh rolled his eyes as he pounced on Sakaki and began to tickle her to death.


"Oh come on Anna... I mean it's not like we are going to tear down the house... yet..." Sakaki grabbed a pillow and slammed it against his head.


"BAD DADDY!!! BAD! BAD! BAD!" pointed Sakaki.


"Don't call Daddy bad, or Daddy won't give you this!" Yoh looked down at his dark red bag. Suddenly he pulled out a mid sized doll with red speghetti hair. Her eyes widened.


"IT'S BEAUTIFUL!! DADDY I LOVE IT!!!" the little girl cried out. Yoh held out his hands but the little girl dodged his hug and ran outside to play with it. Yoh sighed as Anna and he walked towards the kitchen. She slowly began to pour some batter into a pan.


"Yoh... where did you get the money to buy that doll... and these beautiful dishes... I mean... it must've been very expensive and you know that we must stretch every yen as far as possible."


Yoh gave her a small kiss on the cheek.


"Easy... from Tamao... you see... she wanted someone to deal with this gang who had been stealing from her. BUT, she didn't want her husband to be involved with it... so she paid me quite a hefty amount... I can make us happy now Anna. You won't have to wear anymore hand-me-down dresses... I've got enough to buy you that fine fabric so you and Sakaki will have classy gowns. Next I'm going to go and get books for Sakaki... I ain't gonna let her live her life and not be able to read... no way... then I'll finaly buy you a ring. That finger ain't gonna remain naked anymore. Life is gonna change Anna... I want us to be happy."


The woman was about to cry.


"Oh Yoh, you try so hard to be a good man... don't you realize you already are... I don't care if I have to wear the same dress over and over... but then again... it would be wonderful for Sakaki to earn an education...."


Yoh held her hands. She looked up. "Yoh, can you do me a favor? I need some eggs... could you go into town and purchase some?"


"Of course I will, you just relax now." He kissed her and left for town.


<Later... that evening...>


Yoh walked towards the door of his house. Why did it feel more... different? "When was the first time this place was quiet?" he whispered to himself. He turned towards the sun as it slowly fell. How long was he gone? "Those thieves put up a mean hunt... I thought I never would catch them." he whispered to himself. He touched the handle... he turned it... and gasped at the sticky red fluid that clung to his hadns. "Anna? Sakaki?" spoke Yoh as he walked through the room. Silence.


His heart began to beat louder and louder until it began to echo in his mind. "Anna? Sakaki?" he spoke once more as his pace quickened. He opened the kitchen door... and never blinked. Anna's body laid naked on the table. Her stomach was cut open while parts of her body were arranged in a sick, perverted way. His unborn child was placed in a boiling pot of water, cooking, filling the air. Apparently, spices were placed on it giving it a hellish, pleasent scent. "... Anna...." he whispered. He ran towards his daughter's room.


"SAKAKI!!!!!!!"


<Tamao's house... at night...>


"Tamao?" spoke a blue-haired shaman.


"Yes?"


"Yoh's here to see you..." he replied. Tamao slumped and rolled her eyes.


"Forget it... I'm way too weary to deal with him tonight."


"But my love, it's Yoh... you know... the guy you hired to deal with the thieves?"


"Yoh? Oh please bring him in," she smiled. The man nodded as Tamao took a moment to fix her make up. Her smile faded as the slow footsteps echoed in the house. She placed her hand to her face as she stared at his bloodied clothes, as he clutched a small object wrapped in a blanket.


He stood there silently. One minute... two minutes... three minutes passed. Tamao tilted her head. "Yoh... is something wrong?" she asked.


"You knew about this... didn't you... they weren't just ordinary thieves... they were part of a mafia...." Tamao sighed.


"Yoh... that's not... true...."


"DON'T LIE TO ME!!!" Yoh reached in his pocket with his free hand and pulled a letter out.


"Here is your penance with interfering with business. Damnit Tamao, WHY DIDN'Y YOU TELL ME?!? I could've placed my family somewhere more safe...."


"I DIDN'T WANT TO BACK OUT OF IT!! These jewels are expensive...." she whispered as Yoh came up and slapped her face. His eyes were red with restlessness. He took the bundle and dropped it in her lap. Tamao opened the bundle... to see a naked girl with a slit neck and a nail that was shoved up her innocence.


Tamao's mouth dropped.


"I hope you're happy... I hope those jewels were worth the precious lives of my family."


Yoh took his fist... and punched the pink-haired shaman to the ground. He heard a crack... but he didn't care. Let her nose bleed. Let her never smell flowers or a warm meal again. Tamao's eyes watered as she clutched her broken snout.


Yoh walked out of the house... he turned towards a small group of thieves that surrounded him.


"Hey look, it's that guy... you know... the one the boss said to get rid of!" shouted one of the young thieves. Yoh approached them. His eyes burned into their's. He was sick of it all. He wanted nothing to do with people. They cared nothing for him. Use him. Toy with his life and feelings. Yoh pulled out his sword, and shoved in the base of the thieves' necks.


"Oops," he said bitterly. He watched as the bodies trembled with the last amounts of life in them.


<Present day, Manta's POV...>


"I lost my sanity... that night my little daughter turned ten... Tamao never did regain her ability to smell.... I regretted it later on.... When I saw her once... when her grandchild gave her a rose and asked her to smell it's honey scent. I spent the last of my days here... surviving on the last of the blood money that I earned from Tamao... Amidamaru was there for me.... I told him if he promised never to tell a soul that I resided here... for I wanted to be alone. I got my wish... now look at me. A senile old cooth... who's only exercise is to go outside and relive myself. Who's only sunlight comes from electricity so that I could eat dinner at night."


I turned towards his eyes. The deep circles... were hideous... but now... it seemed they turned out that way... not by constant weariness... but because he must've remembered everytime he had shut his eyes... and dream. What he described may have been brief, but there was enough detail to seem like he repeated it over and over again.


"Yoh?"


"Yes... Manta?"


"Yoh... please... I want you... to cry... please... you seem to be holding it back... don't... that's what cause your madness... cry... let it out... for me... for you daughter and your wife...."


He didn't even hesitate. He just grabbed me and sobbed on my shoudler. He never stopped. I didn't want him to. Then I felt my own tears falling. Then I heard him, muttering on my sleeve.


"...I... wanted to save them... why God? ... I saved Ryu from being possessed to death... I saved the world from Hao... why can't I save my own family from a bunch of petty thieves?"


He slowly pulled himself up and turned towards me. He clutched my hand. I clucthed his. "Manta... thank you... for always being there for me... even when the world sees me as a madman now... you have the heart to see differently," he smiled as he slowly approached the stove to fetch more tea. A wooden plank seemed out of place.


"YOH LOOK OUT!" I shouted. It was too late. Yoh tripped over and fell on Amidamaru's memorial tablet. It shattered... and pierced his heart.


"The short boy cried that day. He called all around and brought whoever had known the Shaman King. They held a small bonfire and cremated his body, along with his sword. Everyone who was still alive that knew him... came... including Tamao despite her case of pneumonia.


"'If only he knew how many friends he could trust in,' spoke Manta as he dabbed his cheek, watching the ashes as they blazed into the sky, carried into the wind. 'I pray you find happiness, Shaman King...


... My friend.'


The End


So Yuki, how did you like the story?"


"It was kind of depressing, Uncle Ryu... you think that kind of story is going to help me sleep... I mean... Tamao... and Anna... and Sakaki..." spoke Yuki as he ran his black hair out of his eyes.


"But it's a true story. You didn't believe me that this house had a history. Home of the great Shaman King! Anyway, get some sleep. I gotta do something."


"Good night, Uncle Ryu."


"Good night, Yuki."


Yuki turned to his side. He sat there a few seconds before approaching to turn off the lamp. His eyes then traveled to the ground and his eyes widened....


... he crawled on to the floor, and turned towards a loose board. Pulling out a dull knife, he cut the board up... and found a broken half of a memorial tablet, tainted with blood.